What movies caused you to be scared when you were a child?

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Aw, I loved Gremlins as a kid. I thought it was funny. :)

Yeah, looking back on it now it seems strange to have been scared by it. Especially since I had already seen actual horror movies, like Nightmare on Elm Streeet and such, that had actual scariness in them. But I had no problems with that. Finger knives? Hockey mask and machete? Bring it on! But man, was I scared that there was a cute fuzzy little mogwai waiting around for an after-midnight crumb to nibble on.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, looking back on it now it seems strange to have been scared by it. Especially since I had already seen actual horror movies, like Nightmare on Elm Streeet and such, that had actual scariness in them. But I had no problems with that. Finger knives? Hockey mask and machete? Bring it on! But man, was I scared that there was a cute fuzzy little mogwai waiting around for an after-midnight crumb to nibble on.

I grok. Sometimes kids react differently than one might expect. I had a negative reaction to the movie, Clue. I had nightmares for at least a week after I saw it at a friend's house.

Upvote 0

pilgrimgal

Jeremiah 29:11 It's good!
Apr 9, 2006
USA
✟25,368.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It was called "The Smiling Ghost" but so long ago I can't remember the details or even who was in it. I remember my older brother and sister teasing me about being scared..obviously they weren't and didn't take it seriously..all I remember was having nightmares later..:sigh:

Upvote 0

Aimiel

Moved to A Site with Freedom of Speech
Aug 7, 2010
Ohio
Visit site
✟8,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was really frightened by the prospect of ugly flying monkeys, who could carry me away to the witch's castle. I had a nightmare after seeing The Wizard of Oz, and still don't trust monkeys.

Reactions: pilgrimgal
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Singermom

Jul 20, 2010
✟9,298.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Shinning & Amityville Horror

May I share a story about "The Shining"?

My younger brother was obsessed with this movie when he was young...10, 12-ish. He watched it over and over (always modestly turning his head at the bathtub scene...I actually saw him when I knew he didn't know I was there). One time my oldest sister asked him why he was so attached to the movie. She was expecting some answer like the cool special effects or something like that. His answer startled her:

"It's because, at the end, the little boy got away."

My brother ended up diagnosed manic-depressive at 13, committed suicide at 21. Going through his room, my sister found his copy of the book; she took it, and in the front cover wrote, "because he got away". I went home and did the same to my copy.

Reactions: puppetmaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
G

GNews4BadTimes

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of your brother, Singermom. :(

You have to hand it to the make-up artists for doing an excellent job of turning ordinary actors into any kind of monster. None of this CGI hardly compares to it!

The original Fright Night sent me up the wall when I was young.
The Exorcist ranks up there for giving me red eyes also. But I'm older and wiser now.:D
Fright Night was another one but mostly due to the horrible teeth on the vampires :p ...

Upvote 0