• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What movies caused you to be scared when you were a child?

Discussion in 'The Box Office' started by theseagullwithoneleg, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Skilletdude

Skilletdude Newbie

+21
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    The Fly!! I was like 13 or something and it was on TV. Not much has freaked me out that I can recall but this movie stands out. Even though it was edited for TV, it was STILL disturbing and freaky to watch. I still haven't seen the ending all the way through because I only saw it that one time and I freaked out when "the fly" started barfing on this guys hand and it melted off. He then started going for the head of the guy like he was gonna barf on it too and we turned it off. When we turned it back on it was pretty much over. There was another part in there too that freaked me out too... the arm wrestling scene. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the movie again now. I remember it pretty well for only seeing it once but I guess that's cause it left an impression. Other than that movie I can't really think of anything.

OH! Arachnophobia... I still have a fear of spiders because of this movie. I saw it when I was pretty young and spiders never really freaked me out much before. But like after this, I really had a problem with it. I guess cause the movie presented the spiders as aggressive "attackers", and at the end there are thousands everywhere and I just get that feeling like spiders are all over me when I'm in a place with spiders. This is the one movie where I think I actually jumped and yelped out loud. I knew it was gonna happen but I dunno... that part when the old lady goes to turn off her lamp and you see the spiders shadow moving around in the lampshade... when that spider jumped on her hand for some reason it just startled me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. The Penitent Man

The Penitent Man the penitent man shall pass

+35
    Catholic
    Single
    When I was about six years old I saw Ghostbusters at a drive-in movie theatre. The "library ghost" scene scared me so bad I hid behind the seat and covered my ears. GB was a funny movie but it was also scary, esp. for a 6 year-old with an extremely active imagination and a sound-sensitivity. I remember being terrified at how loud the movie was.

But now Ghostbusters is one of my favourite movies of all time.

3. anakonda

anakonda _

+70
    Other Religion
    Private
    Yeh the fly was another movie that tripped me out.

4. The Penitent Man

The Penitent Man the penitent man shall pass

+35
    Catholic
    Single
    That movie will always trip me out, esp. the last few scenes. When we finally see the Brundlefly creature completely transformed, it's beyond description.

5. anakonda

anakonda _

+70
    Other Religion
    Private
    heh heh yah

6. rainrotoka

rainrotoka Newbie

+1
    Word of Faith
    Single
    I think, No movies caused me to scared in my childhood.

7. Windorian

Windorian Curious Soul

+3
    Christian
    Married
    Jaws definitely left a lasting impression. The first half of the movie was just pure terror, from that poor woman out swimming alone to the boy on the raft. When the three main characters finally went out on the boat to chase the shark, the movie transformed into brilliant suspense - especially when they were comparing scars and Quint went on to describe his experience on the USS Indianapolis.

If, however, I had to point to one particular scene in a movie that really upset me as a kid, I would pick the ending from the original movie "The Fly" with Vincent Price. When the fly with the human head was stuck in the spider's web screaming "Help me!", I had to leave the room. I know it was cheesy 1950's special effects, but I just couldn't watch.

8. nevb1973

nevb1973 Newbie

+2
    Christian
    Married
    Jaws while I am fascinated by sharks and never miss Shark Week on the Discovery channel and loved Expedition Great White on National geographic I am afraid to do more than wade in the ocean up to my knees. I know they are waiting for me! Pools even made me nervous as a kid.

9. hopefullady78

hopefullady78 Newbie

+1
    Christian
    Single
    The Exorcist

10. pilgrimgal

pilgrimgal Jeremiah 29:11 It's good!

+781
    Protestant
    Married
    Experiment in Terror

11. pilgrimgal

+781
    Protestant
    Married
    Halloween

12. angelsword

angelsword Senior Member

+38
    Christian
    Single
    Clash Of The Titans and after Chucky I threw away a doll I bought from a consignment center. Too old and spooky to be kept!

13. bill'swife

bill'swife let peace rule...

+15,854
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Jaws!!! and Carrie!!

14. Octorock

Octorock Octorockin'

+21
    Atheist
    Single
    The Rescuers, I guess. I've never really been "scared" by a film as far as I can remember.

I kind of wish I was allowed to watch some actual horror films as a kid so I could actually go through the experience of being terrified by what I see in a film. It'd be nice to have the memory of being able to actually be scared of Freddy Krueger at one point.

15. pilgrimgal

+781
    Protestant
    Married
    The Spiral Staircase

16. Singermom

Singermom Newbie

+89
    Non-Denom
    Married
    My mom is a classic movie nut...actually, just a movie nut...so I watched a lot of different kinds of movies with her. I still love horror movies to this day (as long as they aren't just a lot of gross out...I like an actual plot, thank you very much). "Carrie" is one of my all-time favorite movies!

That said, one movie bothered me so much when I was young, I never, ever watched it again...and although I "never say never", I WILL probably never watch it again...

"The Birds"

Oddly enough, it wasn't the movie that bothered me per se...it was the SOUND the birds made! I would have nightmares about hearing that sound, not being able to block my ears, or if I did, still being able to hear it...

17. pilgrimgal

+781
    Protestant
    Married
    Thanks for sharing this. I almost forgot about "The Birds"; but it was scary much more than some of Hitchcock's other ones..like Rear Window and Strangers on a Train..and the subtle ones ..like "Rope" I think it would be very frightening for a child to see "The Birds"..I didn't see it until I was an adult..not when it first came out but later.

18. Skaloop

Skaloop Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion

+825
    Atheist
    Married
    CA-NDP
    Lots of movie's have scared me in the moment. But the only movie, ever, that has left a lasting fear that caused nightmares and problems sleeping and irrational fears is...

Gremlins. Saw it when I was a kid, and I would turn on the lights at night if I thought they were around. I wouldn't keep water near my bed, lest I spill it on one of them.

19. Octorock

Octorock Octorockin'

+21
    Atheist
    Single
    Aw, I loved Gremlins as a kid. I thought it was funny. :)

20. Aimiel

Aimiel Moved to A Site with Freedom of Speech

+55
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I remember seeing a movie where a guy backhanded Marilyn Monroe in her bra and slip in a motel room. Made me think that there are VERY evil people out there. I was terrified that a man might treat a woman that way. I didn't know it wasn't real. To this day, I can't stay at a motel without thinking of it, even though I know he didn't even strike her and they were just acting.