Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
China Cry is an interesting movie and End of the Spear is good to along with faith like potatoes
A good series is Falling Fire: The Gift of the Spirit

I seen End of the Spear. While I appreciate the sacrifice these missionaries made, it felt like a sad story to me, and I am not big on sad stories. Not sure about China Cry and Falling Fire: The Gift of the Spirit. Does China Cry mention Jesus Christ and salvation in Him? As for Falling Fire: The Gift of the Spirit: Well, I am a Partial Cessationist and I believe the Bible leans towards the teaching that the miraculous gifts most likely have ceased. Granted, I am not claiming Partial Cessationism as 100% fact, and I have a close friend who is a part of a Pentecostal church. So I kind of label it as a mystery, but I exercise caution in teaching other Christians so as not to seeking any miraculous gifts (because the Bible does appear to lean towards Cessationism). But I do not want to speak against any of the workings of God just in case I am wrong, either (Whereby I could condemn myself). In other words, if the series promotes Continuationism, it would not be my cup of tea.

As for faith like potatoes: I just watched the trailer for that one, and it looks pretty good. I may have to check that one out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah too many people want Jesus to be either white or black when it is very likely he was middle eastern but to be honest I think God purposely left out his description so that everyone would focus on him and not his "race" or whatever.

His glorified state is loosely described in Revelation (See: Revelation 1:13-16). But yes, I know what you mean, and I agree. His earthly face and body were not described for good reason. I think one reason is that God does not want us to make idols of Him.

You said:
I thought Risen was ok, but expected it to be better.

I liked the scene where Clavius discovers the risen Jesus for the first time. Really powerful scene. But yes. I agree, it could have been better. It felt more like a TV mini series than a movie. But I did enjoy the detective feel to it a bit.

You said:
Peter and Paul 1981 another good miniseries.

It is hard for me to watch classic old movies. There was only one classic movie I liked starring Jack Lemmon that I liked because I was big into comic books back in the day.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Falling fire is about the new testament saints (acts) narrated by "Dr. Luke".
China Cry is about the persecution of a Christian woman there and her faith to stand up for Christ.
Flywheel is not a bad movie but not that doctrinal in nature more like a film about doing the right thing (golden rule etc).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Falling fire is about the new testament saints (acts) narrated by "Dr. Luke".

Ah, so it is not about teaching Continuationism. If so, I may check it out.

You said:
China Cry is about the persecution of a Christian woman there and her faith to stand up for Christ.

I may check it out some time. Thank you.

You said:
Flywheel is not a bad movie but not that doctrinal in nature more like a film about doing the right thing (golden rule etc).

I think I started this and shut it off because it was too low budget looking.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
His glorified state is loosely described in Revelation (See: Revelation 1:13-16). But yes, I know what you mean, and I agree. His earthly face and body were not described for good reason. I think one reason is that God does not want us to make idols of Him.
I have this theory (unsubstantiated) that when we see Jesus and/or are in heaven that we will see people in the way that is best for us to see them and to that it may be that Jesus looks different to each of us while looking the same for all of us if you can figure that out and other people will look older or younger but average in their 20s and 30s leaning toward the age Jesus was in his years of ministry on earth.
It is hard for me to watch classic old movies. There was only one classic movie I liked starring Jack Lemmon that I liked because I was big into comic books back in the day.
This feels more like a tv series and is essentially a visual representation of the Bible itself like the Gospel of John that follow scripture pretty much if I remember as is falling fire a miniseries that follows scripture too.
The old classics I like are the 50s and 60s bible epics like the Robe, Demetrius and the Gladiators, King of Kings, and a lot of old testament bible movies about David and Moses and such.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have this theory (unsubstantiated) that when we see Jesus and/or are in heaven that we will see people in the way that is best for us to see them and to that it may be that Jesus looks different to each of us while looking the same for all of us if you can figure that out and other people will look older or younger but average in their 20s and 30s leaning toward the age Jesus was in his years of ministry on earth.

Hmmm... not sure about that. I believe God is concerned with the truth. So I think there will be one standard look for us in Heaven whereby it would not change. What age we will look like? Perhaps it will be our 20's or 30's. Only God knows.

You said:
This feels more like a tv series and is essentially a visual representation of the Bible itself like the Gospel of John that follow scripture pretty much if I remember as is falling fire a miniseries that follows scripture too.
The old classics I like are the 50s and 60s bible epics like the Robe, Demetrius and the Gladiators, King of Kings, and a lot of old testament bible movies about David and Moses and such.

I was not fortunate to be exposed to too many classic old films.

As for the falling fire mini series: Thank you. I will have to check that out.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Falling fire is also known as the Visual Bible Acts funny I just noticed that I have the same title under two names as I also have the visual bible acts also.
The Visual Bible: Acts (Video 1994) - IMDb

Okay. I seeing a clip of it on Youtube. Sorry, brother. It seems kind of outdated, or a little low budget a bit for me. I do like the short sequences for the apostle Paul within the Bible mini series, though.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Okay. I seeing a clip of it on Youtube. Sorry, brother. It seems kind of outdated, or a little low budget a bit for me. I do like the short sequences for the apostle Paul within the Bible mini series, though.

A lot of the old visual bible type stuff was lower budget back then but the acting was good.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a small collection of about 150 Christian movies but probably about 40 or so meet your criteria I figure as many were either Old Testament movies or new testament independent movies that the theology is not totally perfect plus a bunch of Veggietales movies for fun.

I would be interested to see your 40 list of Christian films that would meet the criteria of this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I would be interested to see your 40 list of Christian films that would meet the criteria of this thread.
I've listed most of them that were not in your list or others pretty much already at least the ones I think you would be possibly interested in. I do have some teaching dvds but you wanted movies
One that could interest you is called AD the trials of the early church it is a special 6 hour edition I think like a miniseries but it does show Jesus with holes through the palms instead of wrists. What irritates me is the review that says the guy who made it "painstakingly researched things" personally I think he took an aspirin for his "pain".
I do have Faith lessons on the death and ressurrection of the messiah published by zondervan.
The Greatest Story Ever Told is good but was made in 1965.
Jesus Fact or Fiction is decent for an interactive journey type presentation.
Machine Gun Preacher is decent for a movie but I don't recall if it meets your criteria.
Miracle Maker is a twist on the story of Jesus in that it uses 3D animation that was at the time a new thing in 1999 but is rather dated today.
Pilgrim's Progress is good but again may not meet your criteria
St. John in Exile is good but. different in that it is a live one man presentation
St Peter with Omar Shariff is also good
That is about all I can add. I hope that helps your collection as I've collected these over the last 15 years.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've listed most of them that were not in your list or others pretty much already at least the ones I think you would be possibly interested in. I do have some teaching dvds but you wanted movies
One that could interest you is called AD the trials of the early church it is a special 6 hour edition I think like a miniseries but it does show Jesus with holes through the palms instead of wrists. What irritates me is the review that says the guy who made it "painstakingly researched things" personally I think he took an aspirin for his "pain".

This sounds good. I may check it out. I heard the VHS (which is uncut) was better.

You said:
The Greatest Story Ever Told is good but was made in 1965.

Maybe one of these days I may just sit down and watch some of the old classic bible films. Just watch all of the really good ones (sort of like a marathon or something).

You said:
Jesus Fact or Fiction is decent for an interactive journey type presentation.

Thanks. I may check it out.

You said:
Machine Gun Preacher is decent for a movie but I don't recall if it meets your criteria.

After reading this Christian review (at the following link), it does not appear to be a Christian film, brother.

https://christiananswers.net/spotlight/movies/2011/machinegunpreacher2011.html

You said:
Miracle Maker is a twist on the story of Jesus in that it uses 3D animation that was at the time a new thing in 1999 but is rather dated today.

I remember I started to watch it a while back, but something was odd within it that made me to stop watching it. I cannot remember what it was that made me to hit the stop button, though.

You said:
Pilgrim's Progress is good but again may not meet your criteria

From reading the reviews on the new animated version, it sounds like a train wreck.
There appears to be two other live action films (that came before this), as well. I briefly looked at them. Just not sure about these kinds of films.
Is your average viewer more confused about God after watching these kinds of films or do they inspire a person to want to follow our Lord?

You said:
St. John in Exile is good but. different in that it is a live one man presentation

I actually had seen this. Somebody gave me the DVD. I remember the performance was good, but it is not something I could just rewatch again.

You said:
St Peter with Omar Shariff is also good
That is about all I can add. I hope that helps your collection as I've collected these over the last 15 years.

Seen the trailer for this. Not sure if this is my cup of tea.

Anyways, thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Maybe one of these days I may just sit down and watch some of the old classic bible films. Just watch all of the really good ones (sort of like a marathon or something).
They are good to watch, may not directly point to Jesus but they do inspire people to want to be more godly.
After reading this Christian review (at the following link), it does not appear to be a Christian film, brother.

https://christiananswers.net/spotlight/movies/2011/machinegunpreacher2011.html
That doesn't surprise me it may just be a "faith in God' generic type file.
From reading the reviews on the new animated version, it sounds like a train wreck.
There appears to be two other live action films (that came before this), as well. I briefly looked at them. Just not sure about these kinds of films.
Is your average viewer more confused about God after watching these kinds of films or do they inspire a person to want to follow our Lord?
The version I have is from 2008 Pilgrim's Progress A journey to heaven
I actually had seen this. Somebody gave me the DVD. I remember the performance was good, but it is not something I could just rewatch again.
Yeah I think you are probably right about that I've kept a lot of Christian movies that were good on the first watch but were perhaps more movie than Christian but decent entertainment that doesn't detract from Christian views.
Seen the trailer for this. Not sure if this is my cup of tea.

Anyways, thank you for sharing.
Yeah Omar has a personality that is interesting but at times in some parts not that engaging.
I actually rated this higher than it was on IMDB but I haven't watched it since 2014 and pretty much have forgotten how it was.
I recommend considering the Bible Collection series of movies for OT binging most of them are pretty decent films that more engage people with the Bible.
What sort of irritates me is the movies about Bible characters lately have been more fantasy than accurate and can mislead people to the true nature of God and the people who believed him. I do have the Passion of the Christ but don't recommend it to anyone as it is just too weird in places and the huge lack of an English soundtrack on all but I think the latest Blu-Ray version out makes watching it a task. It focused too much on the suffering of Jesus than the Gospel IMO. I don't have the Blu-Ray version I may pick it up if it is on clearance for dirt cheap just to have it to show people that are curious about the movie how mediocre it is for all the hype about it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do have the Passion of the Christ but don't recommend it to anyone as it is just too weird in places and the huge lack of an English soundtrack on all but I think the latest Blu-Ray version out makes watching it a task. It focused too much on the suffering of Jesus than the Gospel IMO. I don't have the Blu-Ray version I may pick it up if it is on clearance for dirt cheap just to have it to show people that are curious about the movie how mediocre it is for all the hype about it.

I do not like the Passion of the Christ anymore. I seen this film before I rededicated my life back to Christ and liked it, but after my decision to take following the Lord seriously again, I tried to watch the Passion again and just found it to be extremely odd, weird, and boring. Plus, I am not a big Jim Caviezel fan, either. His reading of the Word of Promise Dramatized audio Bible series is really bad. He puts no emotion in his reading of Jesus. Besides, I am also not sure I can handle seeing all the gore and the blood again in the Passion, either.

Speaking of crucifixion scenes: My favorite crucifixion scene was in Bible Mini Series (also known as the Son of God). Granted, I did not like the rest of the movie so much (except maybe the last supper sequence).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The version I have is from 2008 Pilgrim's Progress A journey to heaven

I agree with another Christian that it is not appropriate to show CGI images of the devil and demons in a way that makes them out to be like monsters that are a little disturbing looking. I don't believe we should should look at things that are evil like images trying to copy a horror movie. For evil communications corrupts good manners. Heaven's War does a better job at portraying fallen angels. They are more like men, vs. being like monsters with sharp teeth that can eat you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with another Christian that it is not appropriate to show CGI images of the devil and demons in a way that makes them out to be like monsters that are a little disturbing looking. I don't believe we should should look at things that are evil like images trying to copy a horror movie. For evil communications corrupts good manners. Heaven's War does a better job at portraying fallen angels. They are more like men, vs. being like monsters with sharp teeth that can eat you.
I think you may be overthinking things here as I think a lot of Christian movies are meant to both entertain and to draw people closer to God and many of them experiment with differing ways and technology to accomplish it, with mixed results. As much as I don't really like the Passion of the Christ and don't recommend it as a movie for seeking Christians for accuracy about Jesus and God I've read reviews about the movie where people were very encouraged about the movie and were brought closer to God and wanted to be a better Christian and I can't discount that even if I don't think the movie is that great God can use it anyway.
I have gotten rid of Movies like Noah with Russell Crow as I don't believe a serious Christian was involved in the writing of it at all way way too far removed from the truth.
When I was brought up my mother went through a time where instead of explaining God and things that are not good in movies and the media she banned them from us and this didn't have a positive effect or get rid of the negative effect because as kids we were smarter than she gave us credit for. Songs that had supposed backwards masking in them we didn't really like much to begin with and even though played backwards it was creepy we didn't go evil bonkers and turn into godless axe murderers because of it all.
People in society will stumble across ungodly things regardless of how we try to ban them often it is better to confront them and render them harmless to you than run and hide from them.
As I don't have anyone else that watches my movies with me, keeping controversial movies just so I can show people some of the deception going on it a waste of money and space for me for the most part so I tend to get rid of stuff that is just plain bad as in that instead of enjoying it or easily tolerating it, it irritates me to watch it at all making it hard to even finish watching it knowing how it goes and ends.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you may be overthinking things here as I think a lot of Christian movies are meant to both entertain and to draw people closer to God and many of them experiment with differing ways and technology to accomplish it, with mixed results.

In Christian film making: I think it is important to stay as close to the text of God's Word as possible. While God can use these films to draw them to Christ, it is by the Word that they are truly saved. I will take good ole fashioned preaching and the power of God's Spirit over some movie. I think a movie just gets the curious about the things of God to open a Bible, and or to go to church to turn their lives over to Christ. I believe God can even use a prosperity preacher to lead someone to Christ, but obviously the prosperity movement is wrong, though.

You said:
As much as I don't really like the Passion of the Christ and don't recommend it as a movie for seeking Christians for accuracy about Jesus and God I've read reviews about the movie where people were very encouraged about the movie and were brought closer to God and wanted to be a better Christian and I can't discount that even if I don't think the movie is that great God can use it anyway.

I am not God to truly know if such is the case. Did their repentance last? Did they believe the movie is on the same authority as Scripture? Do they idolize the movie? Only God truly knows such things.

You said:
I have gotten rid of Movies like Noah with Russell Crow as I don't believe a serious Christian was involved in the writing of it at all way way too far removed from the truth.

I agree. Gods and Kings Exodus is another one that comes to mind, as well.

You said:
When I was brought up my mother went through a time where instead of explaining God and things that are not good in movies and the media she banned them from us and this didn't have a positive effect or get rid of the negative effect because as kids we were smarter than she gave us credit for.

Yes, it needs to be explained to children why big budget secular fantasy films are bad. Then again, it is ultimately the upbringing in knowing God's Word (the Scriptures) that will make a child one day wise unto salvation in Jesus Christ. After they are born again, the Lord will in time will weed out their love for the things of this world (if they truly love the Lord more than this world). Jesus said we cannot serve two masters.

You said:
Songs that had supposed backwards masking in them we didn't really like much to begin with and even though played backwards it was creepy we didn't go evil bonkers and turn into godless axe murderers because of it all.

When I was a kid (before I was born again): When I learned of such music that had backward messages in them, I strived not to listen to such songs. But nevertheless, I did listen to other songs that were openly sinful and in some cases satanic. It was because I was of the world and in darkness and I did not know of Jesus Christ (who is the light) yet.

You said:
People in society will stumble across ungodly things regardless of how we try to ban them often it is better to confront them and render them harmless to you than run and hide from them.

There is a difference between a believer and an unbeliever. An unbeliever will be attracted to the dark things of this world. Christians can sometimes like the dark entertainment of this world, but I am not convinced they have surrendered their lives to Christ fully if they do like such dark and sinful things. For what fellowship does light have with darkness?

You said:
As I don't have anyone else that watches my movies with me, keeping controversial movies just so I can show people some of the deception going on it a waste of money and space for me for the most part so I tend to get rid of stuff that is just plain bad as in that instead of enjoying it or easily tolerating it, it irritates me to watch it at all making it hard to even finish watching it knowing how it goes and ends.

I think if we lead people to Christ, and we teach them to live for the Lord by following His commands according to His Word, the love that they will have for this world will fade away. But narrow is the way and few be there that find it, though. Most truly just want to love the things of this world in these last days.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
In Christian film making: I think it is important to stay as close to the text of God's Word as possible. While God can use these films to draw them to Christ, it is by the Word that they are truly saved. I will take good ole fashioned preaching and the power of God's Spirit over some movie. I think a movie just gets the curious about the things of God to open a Bible, and or to go to church to turn their lives over to Christ. I believe God can even use a prosperity preacher to lead someone to Christ, but obviously the prosperity movement is wrong, though.
I agree in that we don't need to stay exact on his word but convey the meaning in the bible accurately so that nobody is lead astray. There are some movies that have Christians in the and Christian themes that aren't so much in your face that those people who have issues that cause them to reject God wrongly can be mildly encouraged to consider the truth. As for the prosperity movement I agree mostly as I think God does want us to prosper the Bible says so but the reason for us to prosper is for the sake of the Gospel and the Church. Too often people want prosperity in a selfish way and preachers mislead people into thinking that giving to them will make them rich like some sort of pyramid scheme.
I am not God to truly know if such is the case. Did their repentance last? Did they believe the movie is on the same authority as Scripture? Do they idolize the movie? Only God truly knows such things.
The Bible equates that those who are given much God expects much from them and so on, so if they make movies that dishonor God and fellow believers for profit and fame then they won't be rewarded for such ventures.
I agree. Gods and Kings Exodus is another one that comes to mind, as well.
Yeah I agree. My notes on the movie equates that the movie was written to credit Moses for more than his share when in reality God did most everything.
Yes, it needs to be explained to children why big budget secular fantasy films are bad. Then again, it is ultimately the upbringing in knowing God's Word (the Scriptures) that will make a child one day wise unto salvation in Jesus Christ. After they are born again, the Lord will in time will weed out their love for the things of this world (if they truly love the Lord more than this world). Jesus said we cannot serve two masters.
I don't believe they are bad by default as if they don't put God and Christianity in a bad light and have positive morals in them they are better for people to watch than films that are full of sinful deed and evil.
When I was a kid (before I was born again): When I learned of such music that had backward messages in them, I strived not to listen to such songs. But nevertheless, I did listen to other songs that were openly sinful and in some cases satanic. It was because I was of the world and in darkness and I did not know of Jesus Christ (who is the light) yet.
Yeah most of the masked music I didn't like anyway as I don't really care for music with evil lyrics in them I can however ignore somewhat subliminal lyrics and such if the orchestration is very good. I have a lot of secular music that does have somewhat sinful themes to them but I also have more Christian music that doesn't and I don't get into music that is totally degrading. The music I have I feel comfortable playing around Christians.
There is a difference between a believer and an unbeliever. An unbeliever will be attracted to the dark things of this world. Christians can sometimes like the dark entertainment of this world, but I am not convinced they have surrendered their lives to Christ fully if they do like such dark and sinful things. For what fellowship does light have with darkness?
I agree to a point we shouldn't like things that glorify evil, as for dark things that varies wildly as reading about the Bible there are dark things in it like murder and adultery and killing and genocide and more. If dark things have a purpose to magnify good or teach a lesson then I don't see them as a problem. People who watch horror movies that glorify evil can be tempted to do evil while movies that fight evil (darkness) can actually glorify good to an extent. Fighting sin sometimes leads to dark things in movies. A believer IMO always gravitates towards the light even when they have to traverse through darkness to get there. To sin people to Christ sometimes we have to be around darkness and engage on a level with those who are in that enough to show them the light is best.
I think if we lead people to Christ, and we teach them to live for the Lord by following His commands according to His Word, the love that they will have for this world will fade away. But narrow is the way and few be there that find it, though. Most truly just want to love the things of this world in these last days.
Sometimes we can't really lead them but show them that living a life of love by showing other the love of Christ in your life will be an advertisement for them, and the number on the ad is the number to the gospel.
I've come across a lot of people in my life that truly needed Jesus but I knew I couldn't reach them as I believe the Holy Spirit in me irritated the demons in/arround them such that when I tried to share Jesus it made them lash out at me irrationally. I believe this is why some people God leaves alone while others he runs after to get win them.
When I was struggling to come back to God from turning away from his in my teens music was what helped me a lot as I could listen to it at my own leisure there were no demands on me to submit and believe and follow so in a sense soft sell Christian media has a place like a seed to plant in an unbelievers heart that another can come along and fertilize and water and another to tend and finally someone to reap.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree in that we don't need to stay exact on his word but convey the meaning in the bible accurately so that nobody is lead astray. There are some movies that have Christians in the and Christian themes that aren't so much in your face that those people who have issues that cause them to reject God wrongly can be mildly encouraged to consider the truth. As for the prosperity movement I agree mostly as I think God does want us to prosper the Bible says so but the reason for us to prosper is for the sake of the Gospel and the Church. Too often people want prosperity in a selfish way and preachers mislead people into thinking that giving to them will make them rich like some sort of pyramid scheme.
The Bible equates that those who are given much God expects much from them and so on, so if they make movies that dishonor God and fellow believers for profit and fame then they won't be rewarded for such ventures.
Yeah I agree. My notes on the movie equates that the movie was written to credit Moses for more than his share when in reality God did most everything.
I don't believe they are bad by default as if they don't put God and Christianity in a bad light and have positive morals in them they are better for people to watch than films that are full of sinful deed and evil.
Yeah most of the masked music I didn't like anyway as I don't really care for music with evil lyrics in them I can however ignore somewhat subliminal lyrics and such if the orchestration is very good. I have a lot of secular music that does have somewhat sinful themes to them but I also have more Christian music that doesn't and I don't get into music that is totally degrading. The music I have I feel comfortable playing around Christians.
I agree to a point we shouldn't like things that glorify evil, as for dark things that varies wildly as reading about the Bible there are dark things in it like murder and adultery and killing and genocide and more. If dark things have a purpose to magnify good or teach a lesson then I don't see them as a problem. People who watch horror movies that glorify evil can be tempted to do evil while movies that fight evil (darkness) can actually glorify good to an extent. Fighting sin sometimes leads to dark things in movies. A believer IMO always gravitates towards the light even when they have to traverse through darkness to get there. To sin people to Christ sometimes we have to be around darkness and engage on a level with those who are in that enough to show them the light is best.

Sometimes we can't really lead them but show them that living a life of love by showing other the love of Christ in your life will be an advertisement for them, and the number on the ad is the number to the gospel.
I've come across a lot of people in my life that truly needed Jesus but I knew I couldn't reach them as I believe the Holy Spirit in me irritated the demons in/arround them such that when I tried to share Jesus it made them lash out at me irrationally. I believe this is why some people God leaves alone while others he runs after to get win them.
When I was struggling to come back to God from turning away from his in my teens music was what helped me a lot as I could listen to it at my own leisure there were no demands on me to submit and believe and follow so in a sense soft sell Christian media has a place like a seed to plant in an unbelievers heart that another can come along and fertilize and water and another to tend and finally someone to reap.

I don't agree with watching big budget popular secular films that promotes sin and or sinful ideas (Like Marvel movies, James Bond, and Star Trek). Neither do I believe in listening to music that also promotes sin and evil, as well. The denying of loving the things of this world was not something that I completely accepted when I first accepted Jesus as my Savior. I did throw away some things out of my life, but not all things. Then again, I was a teenager at the time. I still needed to grow and mature in the things of the Lord.

As for movies that Christians say are Christian and are not really Christian: I believe it merely is their lack of discernment about their acceptance of sin on a more subconscious level. For when we view sinful things (whereby those sins are not rebuked by God's Word), we are accepting those sins on some level. For we reap what we sow. What junk we put in our minds is the kind of junk that will come back out. For if we feed ourselves poor quality foods, it will have an effect upon us. The same is true when it comes to spiritual things.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I don't agree with watching big budget popular secular films that promotes sin and or sinful ideas (Like Marvel movies, James Bond, and Star Trek). Neither do I believe in listening to music that also promotes sin and evil, as well. The denying of loving the things of this world was not something that I completely accepted when I first accepted Jesus as my Savior. I did throw away some things out of my life, but not all things. Then again, I was a teenager at the time. I still needed to grow and mature in the things of the Lord.

As for movies that Christians say are Christian and are not really Christian: I believe it merely is their lack of discernment about their acceptance of sin on a more subconscious level. For when we view sinful things (whereby those sins are not rebuked by God's Word), we are accepting those sins on some level. For we reap what we sow. What junk we put in our minds is the kind of junk that will come back out. For if we feed ourselves poor quality foods, it will have an effect upon us. The same is true when it comes to spiritual things.
I agree for the most part. I think we have to judge the effect of sinful things in the media and address the need to distance ourselves from the wrong things. I think that it is almost impossible to do anything these days that doesn't have someone involved in sinning along the line in some form or fashion like Paul we have to sometimes eat meat sacrificed to idols but it should not corrupt us unless we ourselves are into the same idols.

Upvote 0