Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You should see eye-to-eye with me on more things. It'll set you free man! Come to a Trump rally with me? ^_^ :p

Attending a Trump rally is what made me realize I couldn't in good conscience support him.
I still did register as a Republican, but he'll never get my vote. I do like Pence. He's a true Christian conservative.

Glad we can at least agree that Game of Thrones is worthy of "all caps kinda love."

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Attending a Trump rally is what made me realize I couldn't in good conscience support him.
I still did register as a Republican, but he'll never get my vote. I do like Pence. He's a true Christian conservative.

Glad we can at least agree that Game of Thrones is worthy of "all caps kinda love."
I can certainly agree with your thoughts about Pence. I do wish he was the president right now.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I can certainly agree with your thoughts about Pence. I do wish he was the president right now.

Amen. I think a lot of folks wish he was the POTUS right now.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just read this insightful article about the making of Game of Thrones and thought I'd share it for @godenver1 , @gobraves, (@Saucy and @Hetta aren't teens but I know they enjoy the show) and anyone else who is a fan here:
'Game of Thrones': Inside the World's Most Popular Show :)

On July 16, Clarke and the rest of the cast will begin bringing Thrones in for a landing with the first of its final 13 episodes (seven to air this summer, six to come later). Thrones, a scrappy upstart launched by two TV novices in 2011, will finish its run as the biggest and most popular show in the world. An average of more than 23 million Americans watched each episode last season when platforms like streaming and video on demand are accounted for. And since it’s the most pirated show ever, millions more watch it in ways unaccounted for. Thrones, which holds the record for most Emmys ever won by a prime-time series, airs in more than 170 countries. It’s the farthest-reaching show out there—not to mention the most obsessed-about.

I knew it was popular, but I hadn't realized it was the most popular show in the world. I hope to finally watch it this summer. Though that's what I said last summer, hahaha. One of my flights is going to have a total air travel time of 33 hours (plus a layover) each way, so it might be the ideal time to jump in the loop. My cousins just went on a tour of filming locations in Ireland and Northern Ireland, and had an amazing experience. It would be fun to go on that adventure one day.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I just read this insightful article about the making of Game of Thrones and thought I'd share it for @godenver1 , @gobraves, (@Saucy and @Hetta aren't teens but I know they enjoy the show) and anyone else who is a fan here:
'Game of Thrones': Inside the World's Most Popular Show :)

I knew it was popular, but I hadn't realized it was the most popular show in the world. I hope to finally watch it this summer. Though that's what I said last summer, hahaha. One of my flights is going to have a total air travel time of 33 hours (plus a layover) each way, so it might be the ideal time to jump in the loop. My cousins just went on a tour of filming locations in Ireland and Northern Ireland, and had an amazing experience. It would be fun to go on that adventure one day.
Hi Ella. :) I can't wait for the final season to begin, but also dreading because that is the countdown to it ending. LOL. There's no pleasing some people. I'm one of those awful people who really did prefer the books in so many ways. I've had to cover my face sometimes at the violence on the screen, which I didn't with the books. BUT I have loved a lot of the character portrayals, as per my avatar! Ah, it seems so long ago that I was watching the first season and saying to my husband "THEY NEED TO HURRY UP WITH THE DRAGONS." :D

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
"This is us" has been a major binge for us, as I never saw it on NBC. We honestly do not watch "regular" tv any longer. We have on Netflix and Hulu 95% of the time, and pay subscription to HBO or Showtime for a period of time to watch a particular series, then cancel it when the show ends. I'm really impressed with the fact that Hulu and Netflix have taken their money, turned around, and put it into making some good, original tv shows. The Handmaid's Tale was wonderfully made. House of Cards was fantastic until this last season. They messed up 11.22.63, but I soon stopped watching so got to retain my pleasure in the original book.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Ella. :) I can't wait for the final season to begin, but also dreading because that is the countdown to it ending. LOL. There's no pleasing some people. I'm one of those awful people who really did prefer the books in so many ways. I've had to cover my face sometimes at the violence on the screen, which I didn't with the books. BUT I have loved a lot of the character portrayals, as per my avatar! Ah, it seems so long ago that I was watching the first season and saying to my husband "THEY NEED TO HURRY UP WITH THE DRAGONS." :D

I feel the same way. Feels like the end of an era, lol.

I haven't read the books but a lot of folks seem to like them better than the show. Especially if they read them first. My pastor said he read the 1st book back in the 90s, loved it. He likes the show but said he's partial to the books because there's more to them. The show has to cut things out in order to fit in the time frame.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I literally laughed out loud over the irony of your first two sentences, because the very reason my interest in finally watching Game of Thrones was recently rekindled was due to its amazing ability to form a peace treaty bridge between my frequently feuding conservative and liberal friends. They are antipodal in their political, religious, and social views; from vastly different cultural backgrounds; rooting for rival sports teams; and they agree upon virtually nothing, yet their enthusiasm for this show was what created solidarity. It is possibly the only thing they have ever formed a consensus about, haha. We are all interning together and were on a road trip out to an event. A topic of conversation that wouldn't cause them to want to pull over and duke it out needed to be settled on, and GOT was it. Since I've only watched a handful of a few scattered episodes and never read the series, I was completely out of the loop, but amused by how terrifically it bonded them. On this forum one of the most staunchly conservative moderators has expressed his admiration of the show in posts, and discussed it with other fans from differing faiths, beliefs, and political leanings.

Christians standing on the same end of a political and theological spectrum have had divergent perspectives on movies, tv shows, books, art, and movies, too. I remember how a couple of years ago, you talked about your dad giving a sermon based on what he perceived as the savage immorality of The Hunger Games, even though he'd neither read the book series nor seen the movies, but was apparently basing that stance on a review from a website. Perhaps since then your views have evolved, but at the time, you passionately disagreed with him. From what you expressed, it lead me to believe that you were able to see how despite the macabre storyline and disturbing elements, it had a compelling story. I also remember the difference in our paths for reading The Lovely Bones. For you, the early grisliness caused you to throw it aside. It was a stumbling block for you making the rest of the story inaccessible. For me, it wasn't because I simply stepped over it. The book was beautiful, spiritual, thought-provoking, and it inspired my creativity. For you, reading that wasn't assigned was primarily for entertainment and escapism. For me, it needed to be engaging. Our personal tastes and our needs for the other media we consume likely follows the same patterns.

Some people need to build a fortress around their heart to protect it. For others a simple door with a peephole they can look through and decide what to let in will do just fine for guarding it well. I can let in fictional depictions of violence, profanity, and nudity if it is accompanied by a story that will stimulate my thoughts, resonate with me emotionally, edify me with new information, or stoke my creativity. Then when it's finished, I simply show all I don't want to keep around to the door, then close it. For others, it would invade their minds and torment their hearts if they let it in, so they're wise to keep it out entirely.

I love this post. That's very true about Game of Thrones being a peace treaty of sorts for folks from all different walks of life. I don't talk about politics much in person, to avoid strife, but sometimes it just comes up. I'm not a liberal, and I'm so conservative I dislike Trump, so that means there's a lot of people I'm not going to see eye to eye with. I change the subject to sports, or Game of Thrones, when there's about nothing else we're going to be able to talk about outside of church without getting some dander up. I think it's special when you can find something that can connect folks this way. I am going to miss this show, for sure.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Huge differences between conservative Christians and liberal Christians. There will never be consensus.
Not to mention...hello...big difference between the way girls see nudity and guys do.
For the record, I agree with you Portuguese Baptist...for me, I think we need to guard our hearts.
"Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it." Proverbs 4:23
À chacun son goût.

This is about as close as anybody has ever come to implying I'm a liberal, lol. I'm a very conservative Christian. I love Game of Thrones. I'm from the Deep South, born and bred in the land of conservatives. Lots of folks, including my Baptist preacher, love this show. I'm living above the Mason Dixon line for the first time in my life this summer for a job, more liberals are up here, and for the most part they're nice folks. Found talking about the new season of GOT to be a pretty good conversation starter, when you're out to make new buddies. Better than starting off with baseball I've found, when you've got folks so loyal to their team. Same thing with politics.

Sure guys & girls see nudity differently, but not all guys see it the same way, either. I just don't have the problem that other guy does. Now, he needs to do what he needs to do, but that doesn't mean every other man has got to do the same to stay true to his faith. The cupcake girl's post is spot on, everybody's heart is different, needs to be guarded differently.

The Proverbs verse you've put on my mind right now is Proverbs 18:19 - An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city. Arguments separate friends like a gate locked with bars.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'm completely baffled why any Christian would watch this show. Liberal, conservative or whatever.
I admit I've never heard of it until this thread so I started reading reviews. I'm stunned your parents allow you to watch it just based on what I read about it. I can't imagine a story line being so riveting that you would watch it yet ff the violence and the sex. Maturity has nothing to do with it. I agree we all do have different hearts but our hearts are supposed to belong to Jesus. Are you telling me that you would invite Jesus to your home to watch Game of Thrones for entertainment?
I get how a book series can draw you into a show but the violence we create in our heads is nothing like what is depicted in full colour on television. I'm completely in awe over what has been said to defend watching this show for entertainment.

There's a lot packed into this that baffles me. If you're that stunned by why any Christian would like this show, why not just talk with 1 of us about it with some sincerity in your heart in place of that judgement to find out why? There's millions of Christians who are fans, have been for years. I reckon many would be happy to explain to you why, if you truly wanted to know.

I'm baffled as to how you could have never heard of Game of Thrones before now. It's the most popular show in the world. Received the most awards in TV history. The only thing I can think of is that you were homeschooled.

Maturity has everything to do with it, you just could not be more wrong about that. How anything is going to impact us is tempered with our level of maturity. Maturity in years matter, maturity in your faith matters just as much for Christians. Now, some folks are being mature by NOT watching it, if it has any kind of bad affect on their walk. I say good for them. Same thing with anything else they avoid, on account of how it could weaken their faith. Plenty of other folks can watch it, and get good out of it. The ability to make good judgements for yourself what you should watch, that is all about maturity. Judging some other girl, judging somebody else's parents for letting them watch it, when they are the ones that know their kid the best to have that discernment, now that's just plain immaturity right there.

I'm in awe of your haughty attitude. I really am. I'm here, in a heat wave, flipping back through some pages, wanting to find some good posts discussing this show. Can't believe this fuss. Now, we all know that 1 show isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea. Plenty of folks don't like Game of Thrones, and that's just fine. Nobody is going to force somebody else to watch it. Sure plenty of folks don't like the stuff you like, too, and that's just as fine. What's really not fine is getting so judgmental. The Bible has plenty to say about that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Go Braves, how great to "meet" such a friendly, pleasant person who is also a conservative Christian and who is open to Democrats. That makes me so happy because so many conservatives seem to absolutely hate and loathe Democrats, and that's sad.

So GoT ... I absolutely loved the books. I got to them late. My (adult) nephew read them not long after they came out. He's seriously all about fantasy, so it's understandable that they would appeal to him. He gave the first book to my husband after I read a few pages and said I couldn't get into it. My husband then read that, and the next book, and I think the third, but then there was a such a huge gap to the next one that he gave up. He felt like he'd forgotten half the characters by then. I got into it around 2012 by which time all 5 books were out so I never had to stop - just went book to book. Of course the last book is "pending" now while GRR goes off on tangents apparently writing "side stories." Sigh.

I admit to very much liking fantasy myself. I read LOTR for the first time when I was 14. :D I have read the 3 books at least 30 times in my life since. Somehow, I can come back to it and it is just as fresh as ever. All my life, since childhood, I've read books like that alongside non-fantasy, literature (I have read Proust, Balzac et al in the original, and many works of literature by English authors. I love to read). So the second time around with GoT, I pushed past that first couple of confusing chapters and became enthralled .. no other word for it. Didn't want it to end, and was infuriated when it did and no release date for the final book that would wrap it all up. Ten came the tv shows. TBH, I didn't want them at first! I've been disappointed before with adaptations. I came to it after the first 2 seasons had aired, and so had a lot of catching up to do. That's always fun: the binge, night after night. No waiting! I have a friend who came to the show at the end of LAST season so she and her husband had every season to binge! :D I remember the anticipation .. waiting for the dragons .. saying "come ON dragons" LOL. Because it was a while since I'd read the books, I didn't have any mental pictures that were really strong so I accepted all the characters as they were. Arya was little and scrappy, Dani was blonde and beautiful, Sansa was a bit of a wimp, etc.

I'll admit that the nudity, sexuality and violence were a bit in your face. I'm not a prude, I just don't see the need to have the entire sexual act taking place right in front of me, or to see as much of an actress as her gynecologist sees. It's too much. But then I'm bored by sex in every single show I see. Just get on with the story, okay? I feel like the sex was minor in the books, but then it's too long since I read them to know for sure. I'll have to go back and read them again maybe. Maybe! The violence was also too much for me at times too. My husband laughs when I cover my eyes, but then we both really suffered through "Hodor." You know what I'm talking about.

So I'm ready to see it end, and I hope it's satisfactory. Even though GRR isn't writing it any longer, I have a feeling that we'll probably loose some more characters we love - oh I was so mad when I read the Red Wedding that I wouldn't even pick up the book for a week! Ha. I had actual paper books at that point and I slung it across the room. LMBO. I just want Lyanna Mormont to survive, and possibly to run the world. GRR has already "threatened" his fans that as they like her so much ... but he'd better not, because she rocks. :)

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Go Braves, how great to "meet" such a friendly, pleasant person who is also a conservative Christian and who is open to Democrats. That makes me so happy because so many conservatives seem to absolutely hate and loathe Democrats, and that's sad.

It's great to meet you too, Hetta!

God has humbled my heart on this a lot. Growing up we lived in a small farming town, about an hour and a half away from Atlanta. Worlds apart. I heard so many nasty things about Obama, liberals, Dems from the folks there. I hadn't even known it was possible they could be Christian. Then we moved to Atlanta, which has got lots of libs, Dems. Learned there were plenty who were good, kind folks. My dad's a pilot with Delta, I started traveling more, meeting folks from all stripes. And now, I'm up in NJ working construction for the summer. There's plenty of libs, Dems here. Now, I don't see eye to eye with them on a lot of things but I don't see eye to eye with a lot of conservatives & Republicans either. It's why I think it's good to find topics all sorts of folks can talk about without getting their dander up, like GoT. Really, the behavior Jesus would rebuke, is folks hating & loathing others, all because of their politics. Or judging them (and their parents) over silly things like what TV shows are their favorites.

So GoT ... I absolutely loved the books. I got to them late. My (adult) nephew read them not long after they came out. He's seriously all about fantasy, so it's understandable that they would appeal to him. He gave the first book to my husband after I read a few pages and said I couldn't get into it. My husband then read that, and the next book, and I think the third, but then there was a such a huge gap to the next one that he gave up. He felt like he'd forgotten half the characters by then. I got into it around 2012 by which time all 5 books were out so I never had to stop - just went book to book. Of course the last book is "pending" now while GRR goes off on tangents apparently writing "side stories." Sigh.

I admit to very much liking fantasy myself. I read LOTR for the first time when I was 14. :D I have read the 3 books at least 30 times in my life since. Somehow, I can come back to it and it is just as fresh as ever. All my life, since childhood, I've read books like that alongside non-fantasy, literature (I have read Proust, Balzac et al in the original, and many works of literature by English authors. I love to read). So the second time around with GoT, I pushed past that first couple of confusing chapters and became enthralled .. no other word for it. Didn't want it to end, and was infuriated when it did and no release date for the final book that would wrap it all up. Ten came the tv shows. TBH, I didn't want them at first! I've been disappointed before with adaptations. I came to it after the first 2 seasons had aired, and so had a lot of catching up to do. That's always fun: the binge, night after night. No waiting! I have a friend who came to the show at the end of LAST season so she and her husband had every season to binge! :D I remember the anticipation .. waiting for the dragons .. saying "come ON dragons" LOL. Because it was a while since I'd read the books, I didn't have any mental pictures that were really strong so I accepted all the characters as they were. Arya was little and scrappy, Dani was blonde and beautiful, Sansa was a bit of a wimp, etc.

I'll admit that the nudity, sexuality and violence were a bit in your face. I'm not a prude, I just don't see the need to have the entire sexual act taking place right in front of me, or to see as much of an actress as her gynecologist sees. It's too much. But then I'm bored by sex in every single show I see. Just get on with the story, okay? I feel like the sex was minor in the books, but then it's too long since I read them to know for sure. I'll have to go back and read them again maybe. Maybe! The violence was also too much for me at times too. My husband laughs when I cover my eyes, but then we both really suffered through "Hodor." You know what I'm talking about.

So I'm ready to see it end, and I hope it's satisfactory. Even though GRR isn't writing it any longer, I have a feeling that we'll probably loose some more characters we love - oh I was so mad when I read the Red Wedding that I wouldn't even pick up the book for a week! Ha. I had actual paper books at that point and I slung it across the room. LMBO. I just want Lyanna Mormont to survive, and possibly to run the world. GRR has already "threatened" his fans that as they like her so much ... but he'd better not, because she rocks. :)

I have to admit I don't like reading all that much, so that's why I never read the book series. I know some folks who also don't like reading, credit Game of Thrones for getting them more interested in reading. Our preacher was that way, said he'd only liked reading the Bible and what he needed to read, but didn't read by choice beyond that much. He couldn't put GoT down. He was also worried the TV show would wreck it, but was really pleased. Now, like a lot of people, he'd rather the TV show not have much violence or sex, but there's enough good to the show to get past all that. I think it's fine for Christians to watch it, so long as they're mature enough in their faith it's not going to be a negative to it. We've got this Facebook page, for the guys from the youth group, to stay in touch. He uses GoT for giving us lessons. You wouldn't think a TV show, especially 1 like that, could enrich your faith, but he did a very good job using it to do just that.

I didn't start watching the show when it first came out, was too young for it then. The nice part was when I started watching I could binge watch the first 2 seasons. No waiting an eternity between seasons! Same as with you reading all the books back to back.

I'm excited about tonight. Bunch of buddies are getting together to watch. Hope you enjoy it too.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I love this post. That's very true about Game of Thrones being a peace treaty of sorts for folks from all different walks of life. I don't talk about politics much in person, to avoid strife, but sometimes it just comes up. I'm not a liberal, and I'm so conservative I dislike Trump, so that means there's a lot of people I'm not going to see eye to eye with. I change the subject to sports, or Game of Thrones, when there's about nothing else we're going to be able to talk about outside of church without getting some dander up. I think it's special when you can find something that can connect folks this way. I am going to miss this show, for sure.

I thought of this thread and a post I made here last summer with the 2015 Time Magazine cover below while reading an article yesterday about the sincerity and longevity of Bill Clinton and George W. Bush's friendship.

bush-clinton-cover.jpg

The article's headline declares: "George W. Bush and Bill Clinton’s Friendship Now Feels Shocking. Behold: a Republican and a Democrat who are still speaking to each other."

Their mutual respect has lead to them not only speaking to one another, but collaborating on projects of service and participating on discussion panels together. They've also playfully ribbed each other on social media. Bush has called Clinton his "brother from a different mother" several times. It's sweet, refreshing, and encouraging to see a bipartisan friendship that has flourished. Their politics were often in opposition to one another, but they found peace and amity in common bonds. Of course they were in the elite fraternity of Presidents, and share an understanding of that role few others could. But there's ways we can connect with another, too, despite our politics, nationalities, or our denominations.

I think it's special when you can find something that can connect folks this way.

I do, too. That's one of the most wonderful aspects of popular culture, the way it can give shared experiences to strangers and unite people. My grandmother told me about how in the 1980s there was a popular soap opera called Dallas with a riveting cliffhanging season finale, and how all summer long everyone was talking about "who shot J.R." They were in the military then, stationed in Japan, and the show was as popular there as it was in the United States. It was a reference as common then as "winter is coming" is now thanks to Game of Thrones. I remember the first time I went to China for the summer, at age 10, being nervous and uncertain about how I could possibly form any friendships with kids there when we had nothing in common, and being so delighted when a girl asked me about Twilight within an hour of meeting. It gave us a common love, a common launchpad for discussion, which lead to a friendship being formed.

The same is true with Game of Thrones. As I wrote about last summer, I first became seriously interested in watching the series when I saw how it was the bridge friends who were diametric in their political and personal views could walk together on and have enjoyable conversations. I wanted to be able to join them. The appeal has not only been bipartisan, but universal. It's the most popular show in the world, airing in more than 170 countries. I'm going to South Africa next month, and while discussing logistics with a coordinator at an NGO we're partnering with, he asked me if I was going to watch the season premiere this weekend. It made me wish I had watched enough of the series to be able to talk shop with him about it.

Of course, with Christians we shouldn't need popular culture to unite us, because Christ is our common bond. There may be huge differences between conservative Christians and liberal Christians, but anyone who feels that there will never be a consensus needs to focus more on the second part of the descriptive label than the first. We're Christians. Liberal or conservative, Game of Thrones fans or not, and the love and light of Christ is our precept.

Anyways, I hope those who are fans of the series enjoyed tonight's much-anticipated first episode of the new and last season, and that those who aren't fans found other joys this weekend.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"This is us" has been a major binge for us, as I never saw it on NBC. We honestly do not watch "regular" tv any longer. We have on Netflix and Hulu 95% of the time, and pay subscription to HBO or Showtime for a period of time to watch a particular series, then cancel it when the show ends. I'm really impressed with the fact that Hulu and Netflix have taken their money, turned around, and put it into making some good, original tv shows. The Handmaid's Tale was wonderfully made. House of Cards was fantastic until this last season. They messed up 11.22.63, but I soon stopped watching so got to retain my pleasure in the original book.

With the exception of the evening news and the nighttime talkshows (I love Seth Meyers), it's rare for anyone in my family to sit down and watch a show as it's being aired, but there are a few we habitually tune into. For me, as a wanderlust, I've been watching The Amazing Race since I was eight as it airs. That and Jeopardy. I unwind before delving into studies whenever I don't have dance or a meeting or something at that time by shouting at the TV and texting / IM'ing friends about my fails and victories. For both my mom and my stepmom, This is Us has been their must-watch show every week. They love it. I've only watched a few episodes, but plan to binge on it from Hulu this summer.

I grew up attending a church in LA that is popular with people in the entertainment industry, and friends who used to perform in the church band are professional musicians. I occasionally played with them in the band throughout high school, and sought their advice on songs I wrote. They actually bought the rights to a few of the songs from me, and one was licensed by This is Us and a teeny tiny snippet of it was used in a promotion. So the show is now special to me. They've licensed another song for the upcoming season! :)

This is the full song:

It was also on How to Get Away with Murder season 2, episode 4, Return to Amish, and Dance Moms!

I'm curious about how 11.22.63 was messed up since I haven't read the book but did watch the series last year.

I've been meaning to watch The Handmaid's Tale. I first read the book when I was 14, and really disliked it, even though I've loved other books by Margaret Atwood. It wasn't that long ago in years, but I've matured by leaps and bounds since then, so it's possible my perspectives would have evolved. I was in LA for the Festival of Books this spring, and she was there talking about the book and the series.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

godenver1

Christian
Jul 12, 2015
✟29,119.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
All this GoT talk makes me sad that I stopped watching it hahah. I'm gonna try and pick up the show from where I left off. Going to have a hard time with all the character's names initially. By the way @Stanfordella and @Go Braves , I thought both of your posts above were phenomenal :)

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
All this GoT talk makes me sad that I stopped watching it hahah. I'm gonna try and pick up the show from where I left off. Going to have a hard time with all the character's names initially. By the way @Stanfordella and @Go Braves , I thought both of your posts above were phenomenal :)

Thanks. You can always jump back in, start watching. Would be glad to know your thoughts on the new season if you do!

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
With the exception of the evening news and the nighttime talkshows (I love Seth Meyers), it's rare for anyone in my family to sit down and watch a show as it's being aired, but there are a few we habitually tune into. For me, as a wanderlust, I've been watching The Amazing Race since I was eight as it airs. That and Jeopardy. I unwind before delving into studies whenever I don't have dance or a meeting or something at that time by shouting at the TV and texting / IM'ing friends about my fails and victories. For both my mom and my stepmom, This is Us has been their must-watch show every week. They love it. I've only watched a few episodes, but plan to binge on it from Hulu this summer.

I grew up attending a church in LA that is popular with people in the entertainment industry, and friends who used to perform in the church band are professional musicians. I occasionally played with them in the band throughout high school, and sought their advice on songs I wrote. They actually bought the rights to a few of the songs from me, and one was licensed by This is Us and a teeny tiny snippet of it was used in a promotion. So the show is now special to me. They've licensed another song for the upcoming season! :)

It was also on How to Get Away with Murder season 2, episode 4, Return to Amish, and Dance Moms!

I'm curious about how 11.22.63 was messed up since I haven't read the book but did watch the series last year.

I've been meaning to watch The Handmaid's Tale. I first read the book when I was 14, and really disliked it, even though I've loved other books by Margaret Atwood. It wasn't that long ago in years, but I've matured by leaps and bounds since then, so it's possible my perspectives would have evolved. I was in LA for the Festival of Books this spring, and she was there talking about the book and the series.
That is so cool Ella. Congrats. I've loved the music, including this song, but I was so happy that it reintroduced me to Labi Siffre who was popular when I was an adolescent (or thereabouts). Oh the 1970s. Ha. I'm so jealous that you met Margaret Atwood, wow. I do like her writing very much, and just re-read Cat's Eye which I read a long time ago. I did like The Handmaid's Tale (although the end of the book annoyed me a little, it looks as though the tv show will be different). I'm loving the tv adaptation. We watch far too much tv!

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Oh, you asked about 11.22.63. I hated it. We watched 2 episodes and then I told my husband he could continue to watch but I would not. It was just not following the book, and I love the book, so I'm not interested in James Franco's version of the story. I'd really encourage you to read the novel: it is wonderful.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

This is the full song:

I had a terrible Wifi connection when I 1st read your post so I couldn't watch the videos. Just watched them now. You're an extremely talented girl. You should be really proud. Would love to hear more of your songs if you're up to sharing them! That's awesome they were in TV shows. Do you sing too or just write the songs? So the band that's performing the songs are Christians? That's great. I'm real glad there's folks out in Hollywood who are church-going Christians.

Upvote 0