What is the most important spiritual discipline?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Who doesn't have God's word?
Most all the world, and many even church members.... (apparently/ or obviously)
If someone prays to God without the guidance of God's word then their prayers will be greatly hindered.
Unless you become as a little child, you cannot see the kingdom of heaven ...

And JESUS PRAISED THE FATHER , "THANKS for REVEALING SALVATION

..........>>>>>>> to babes (uneducated)
and
for
hiding salvation
.........>>>>>>>>> from the educated....

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Not every believer is able to own a Bible. Someone in a jungle in the Amazon who was saved by a missionary, but has no Bible, are their prayers hindered due to the lack of a translation of God's Word in their own language?

Even this person has some amount of God's word - otherwise there is no way they could be saved. The missionary brought God's word about Jesus Christ through them and so they are able to pray in the name of Christ.

If they lack God's word then, yes, their prayers will be hindered. This doesn't mean that God hears them less. This just means that their prayers will not be as full as they could be if they were more informed and guided by the word of God.

Or does the Spirit move within their hearts, helping them pray, delivered to the Father through our great High Priest, Jesus Christ?

God's Spirit does not work independently of God's word.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry to say this, but I'm saying it with love and concern, but you are actually demonstrating that you don't have God's words.

How is this?

Prolly because you aren't obedient to the simplest commands.

Are you charging me with sin? If so, which sin(s)?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who doesn't have God's word?

If someone prays to God without the guidance of God's word then their prayers will be greatly hindered.

That is a highly religious answer that has no basis in scripture at all. There are many people around the world that live in areas hostile to the gospel, where having a Bible can get them imprisoned or killed.

Lack of faith is what hinders a person's prayers, not lack of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That is a highly religious answer that has no basis in scripture at all. There are many people around the world that live in areas hostile to the gospel, where having a Bible can get them imprisoned or killed.

Lack of faith is what hinders a person's prayers, not lack of the Bible.

Where do we learn who to pray to? Where do we learn in whose name to pray? Where do we learn what we should/can ask for?

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Where do we learn who to pray to? Where do we learn in whose name to pray? Where do we learn what we should/can ask for?
Man, there sure were a lot of "hindered" prayers before the invention of the printing press....

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is this?

Are you charging me with sin? If so, which sin(s)?

Please allow me to step you through a process.

Proposing a view indicates that your listeners are studying a fresh topic. New issues usually crop up in new relationships, acquaintances.

What do you do when you make a new acquaintance?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Please allow me to step you through a process.

Proposing a view indicates that your listeners are studying a fresh topic. New issues usually crop up in new relationships, acquaintances.

What do you do when you make a new acquaintance?
You lost me. Is English your first language?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God's word has existed since the dawn of creation and long before the advent of the codex.

Then by "God's word" you are not refering to Scripture but to the Word of God as spoken of in John 1:1, Jesus Christ? Is this a correct assessment?

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You lost me. Is English your first language?

When I say fresh issues, I'm referring to topics which do not have a definitive interpretation.

You asked a question and received different replies, indicating this is a fresh issue.

These new issues arise in new situations. Meeting new people, joining a new job, visiting a new country.

So, what does one normally do when one encounters a new situation?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Then by "God's word" you are not refering to Scripture but to the Word of God as spoken of in John 1:1, Jesus Christ? Is this a correct assessment?

Well God's word is broader than a Bible. Jesus Christ is the full, true Word of God. But God's word also exists in preaching, in the mouths of the OT prophets, through the words of evangelists, etc. Of course all of this is either based in Scripture or ends up becoming Scripture. So I would not separate God's word from Scripture by any means.

But my point is that a person can have God's word without owning a Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
When I say fresh issues, I'm referring to topics which do not have a definitive interpretation.

You asked a question and received different replies, indicating this is a fresh issue.

These new issues arise in new situations. Meeting new people, joining a new job, visiting a new country.

So, what does one normally do when one encounters a new situation?

I have no idea what you're driving at so you tell me.

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well God's word is broader than a Bible. Jesus Christ is the full, true Word of God. But God's word also exists in preaching, in the mouths of the OT prophets, through the words of evangelists, etc. Of course all of this is either based in Scripture or ends up becoming Scripture. So I would not separate God's word from Scripture by any means.

But my point is that a person can have God's word without owning a Bible.

I have a clearer understanding now of what you meant. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Practice?

Would you agree that even practice requires definition, so it requires action on the part of the newcomer to acquire INFORMATION about how to do things?

Would you agree that these people here set about finding out the best way to do things and decided on a particular way to do it?

Deuteronomy 5
24“You said, ‘Behold, the LORD our God has shown us His glory and His greatness, and we have heard His voice from the midst of the fire; we have seen today that God speaks with man, yet he lives. 25‘Now then why should we die? For this great fire will consume us; if we hear the voice of the LORD our God any longer, then we will die. 26‘For who is there of all flesh who has heard the voice of the living God speaking from the midst of the fire, as we have, and lived? 27‘Go near and hear all that the LORD our God says; then speak to us all that the LORD our God speaks to you, and we will hear and do it.

Upvote 0