• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured What is the most important spiritual discipline?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Tree of Life, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+5,907
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    This may sound like I'm asking "which is the most important leg on a stool?" or "which is the most important wheel on a car?" And this may be the case.

But I actually do think that there is one discipline that takes primacy over all the rest. There is one discipline that if it's missing from your life will negatively affect all the other disciplines and negatively affect your growth in Christ. I'll name it in the spoiler below, but before you look at my answer I'd like to hear your answer and your rationale.

Weekly Church attendance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HereIStand

HereIStand Regular Member Supporter

+3,007
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Obedience. If we love Christ, we keep His commandments. Our spiritual growth is conditioned on it. Knowledge and sharing the faith with others follows from commitment.

3. Tree of Life

+5,907
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I've never understood obedience to be a spiritual discipline.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. miknik5

miknik5 "Let not your heart be troubled"

+2,676
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Coming to HIM in prayer acknowledging and asking for HIS "DAILY BREAD" daily to begin another day..

Lamentations 3

5. Wordkeeper

Wordkeeper Newbie

+461
    Christian
    Married

A strange phenomena is occurring nowadays.

Patients read the internet and are sometimes more conversant about their illness than their doctor.

That's because the doctor knows about all illnesses generally, but the patient, because of his deep focus on his own one illness, can become more knowledgeable.

True report
    Doctors who have not kept up to date with findings have cause blindness by not completely removing the nucleus material when performing catart surgery, a simple procedure. Previously it was not known why some surgeries ended up in blindness.

A similar scenario is being repeated in churches.

A friend told me that the main reason people attend churches nowadays is to spot the mistakes being taught.

• List
  6. miknik5

+2,676
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    English American Standard version is NOT my choice and I do not know how to change it to JPS.

Lamentations 3:23-25 to be precise

7. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+107,477
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    As i mull over what you mean by "discipline", i will just respond with my first thoughts on the matter.

What came to mind for me is this:

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." ~Proverbs 9:10

The "fear of the Lord" is spoken of throughout God's entire Word as being of utmost importance to God. It is impossible to be "wise" without it". And it is of the utmost importance to be "wise" in order to embrace WHO God is AND His "holy-ness".

It's a "heart" thing. And that is what God looks upon. A "wise" heart. In the very beginning of the book of Job, God clearly stated why He called Job "perfect and upright" (righteous). And it was because of this:

"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil." ~Job 1:1

This also indicates "wisdom":

"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" ~Micah 6:8

Enoch must have been a very wise man. He walked with God, so very closely, that God "took" him.

Very wise indeed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Tree of Life

+5,907
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I'm not sure what the relevance of this post is here. Could you connect this back to the issue of spiritual disciplines?

9. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+10,913
    Anabaptist
    Can weekly attendance in anything increase life, righteousness, healing, raising the dead, casting out demons, health, edifying others, encouraging others, growing in the body of Christ ?

Often weekly attendance forbids these Scripturally Described Life Promoting Activities in Christ Jesus...
    so
    ... ... ... what then ?

• List
  10. miknik5

+2,676
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Are you saying then that each is responsible to know THE LORD individually and personally first and foremost?

If so, then this I agree with completely.

11. Wordkeeper

Wordkeeper Newbie

+461
    Christian
    Married
    This.

Its why Jesus baptised with the Holy Spirit and with FIRE.

Jeremiah 23:29

12. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+10,913
    Anabaptist
    Many people never understood that or any other spiritual discipline. This is a shared commonality in the world.

Obedience is required. Whether it is a spiritual discipline or not depends on your definition I guess.

13. Tree of Life

+5,907
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Yes. Weekly attendance at a local church of genuine believers where the gospel is being proclaimed and the sacraments administered is able to do all these things and more!

I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate?

14. Tree of Life

+5,907
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I agree that obedience is required but I understand it as a much broader category. Practicing spiritual disciplines falls under the heading of obedience for me - not the other way around.

15. Tree of Life

+5,907
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Thanks brinny. I understand spiritual disciplines to be the things that we do in order to receive wisdom from the Lord - or perhaps the things that we do in order to grow in the fear of the Lord. Of course this must be nuanced with the understanding that it is the Lord who develops these things in us. But this does not mean that we are entirely passive.

So what's the most important thing that we can do in order to grow in the fear of the Lord and in wisdom?

16. Adstar

Adstar Well-Known Member

+1,345
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Humbleness towards God.. The ability to allow God to lead..

17. brinny

+107,477
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Didn't God specify in His Word that "obedience" is better than "sacrifice"?

18. Tree of Life

+5,907
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Thanks for the reply. Humility sounds like a virtue or a fruit of the Spirit to me - not a spiritual discipline. Isn't humility the thing that develops because we practice spiritual disciplines?

• List
  19. Tree of Life

+5,907
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    He certainly did. On multiple occasions. What light do you think that this sheds on the issue?

• List
  20. brinny

+107,477
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Doesn't God Himself grant us wisdom?

And it begins with the "fear" of the Lord, does it not?