What is the most important spiritual discipline?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Faith is a gift from God and not a spiritual discipline.

It seems that you have hit on something. It ALL comes from God, doesn't it?

NONE of it is our own.

The only reason we are capable of loving God in the first place is because God put that love in our hearts when He turned our hearts of stone in hearts of flesh.

Is that not true?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It seems that you have hit on something. It ALL comes from God, doesn't it?

NONE of it is our own.

The only reason we are capable of loving God in the first place is because God put that love in our hearts when He turned our hearts of stone in hearts of flesh.

Is that not true?

Yes this is true. But I'm wary of venturing down this path too quickly in talking about spiritual disciplines. Sometimes if we automatically click into "it's all from God!" then we subtly excuse ourselves from the need to practice any spiritual disciplines at all. This is surely a misuse of this important doctrine.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Well if we understand repentance as something we continually practice throughout life I think we can understand it as a fruit of the Spirit. But I could also see how it could be thought of as a spiritual discipline if you're thinking about the actions associated with repentance.

There can be no fruit of the Spirit without repentance. And repentance is not a fruit of the Spirit.

Is it?

God don't want none o' those dirty rags like Cain's. He thought he was "righteous" and God was lucky that he brought him the best of his crop. How DARE God insult him, of all people. Why anyone would kill to get this bumper crop like he was offering to God, and expecting a thank you from God.

Here's what stands out for me re: Cain. Pride and an utter lack of the "fear of the Lord" and a contempt for God and all God stood for. After all, who did God think He was? God?

Well there it is. I forgot to mention it.

A lack of humility.

And he never once repented.

Reactions: SpiritofaDove
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes this is true. But I'm wary of venturing down this path too quickly in talking about spiritual disciplines. Sometimes if we automatically click into "it's all from God!" then we subtly excuse ourselves from the need to practice any spiritual disciplines at all. This is surely a misuse of this important doctrine.

Yet that is not what i posted, is it?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I mean if you want to get really messy and blur your categories together I suppose you could reckon it that way. I just don't think that this is a helpful way to talk about spiritual disciplines.

God.

I s'pose i'm looking at it like priorities.

And if you are saying that it's all about obedience to God, that Bible verse i posted above may be worth elaborating on.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"Follow Jesus"
He is the Shepherd, Truly, and never fails.
Men fail, frequently. (even administrations of churches).
Jesus knows this.
So by following Jesus, man's failings can be 'healed', or even avoided in the first place.

So you're not much of a church goer it seems. Which spiritual discipline do you think is most important?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Not exactly. But why emphasize "it's all from God!" in a question about which spiritual discipline is most important?

Isn't it?

Is it "our" power or "His" that enables us to even love Him and WANT to bless Him and do what pleases Him?

By the way "stillness" and "passivity" would be a great study.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Which spiritual discipline do you think is most important?
Those who are abiding in Jesus, called, chosen and set apart by the Father in heaven, "born again" by His Will, LIVE ..... what do living people do when the live in HIM ?

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What do you think ekklesia is ? (in Scripture)

Sometimes it refers to the universal church of Christ. Sometimes it refers to local congregations. Sometimes it refers to a church meeting. Sometimes it refers to the council of local church leadership.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Is it "our" power or "His" that enables us to even love Him and WANT to bless Him and do what pleases Him?
DUNAMIS! (a fellow believer in Christ Jesus reminded me of this word , found 120 times(apparently) in Scripture);

'Question: "What is the meaning of the Greek word dunamis in the Bible?"

Answer:
The Greek dunamis is used 120 times in the New Testament. Loosely, the word refers to “strength, power, or ability.” It is the root word of our English words dynamite, dynamo and dynamic.

In the Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14–30), the servants are given wealth based on their dunamis, or their “ability” to handle money. In Mark 9:1 Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.” “Power” here is dunamis.

However, dunamis is not just any power; the word often refers to miraculous power or marvelous works (such as in Matthew 7:22; 11:21, 23; Mark 5:30; Luke 5:17; 9:1; 10:13; and Acts 8:13). Dunamis can also refer to “moral power and excellence of soul,” according to Thayer’s Greek Lexicon.

Perhaps most importantly, dunamis can refer to “inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or which a person or thing exerts and puts forth” (ibid.). In Matthew 22:29 Jesus tells ...." ...
(more on the page ) >>What is the meaning of the Greek word dunamis in the Bible?

• Informative
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This may sound like I'm asking "which is the most important leg on a stool?" or "which is the most important wheel on a car?" And this may be the case.

But I actually do think that there is one discipline that takes primacy over all the rest. There is one discipline that if it's missing from your life will negatively affect all the other disciplines and negatively affect your growth in Christ. I'll name it in the spoiler below, but before you look at my answer I'd like to hear your answer and your rationale.

Weekly Church attendance.
This may sound like I'm asking "which is the most important leg on a stool?" or "which is the most important wheel on a car?" And this may be the case.

But I actually do think that there is one discipline that takes primacy over all the rest. There is one discipline that if it's missing from your life will negatively affect all the other disciplines and negatively affect your growth in Christ. I'll name it in the spoiler below, but before you look at my answer I'd like to hear your answer and your rationale.

Weekly Church attendance.
Idk tbh maybe prayer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prayer is by far the most important spiritual discipline. It takes precedence over everything else.

1 Thessalonians 5:17
Philippians 4:6-7
Luke 18:1
Luke 11:9-13

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Prayer is by far the most important spiritual discipline. It takes precedence over everything else.

1 Thessalonians 5:17
Philippians 4:6-7
Luke 18:1
Luke 11:9-13

Prayer is certainly important. But how do we know how to pray without the help of God's word?

• Informative
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Eat, sleep, work, and play?
YES! Good!
They eat, sleep, work and play
IN UNION WITH JESUS every moment, every day, all the time, in everything they do, by His "dunamis"/ and grace/ and YHWH'S Plan (all in all in Christ Jesus).

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
YES! Good!
They eat, sleep, work and play
IN UNION WITH JESUS every moment, every day, all the time, in everything they do, by His "dunamis"/ and grace/ and YHWH'S Plan (all in all in Christ Jesus).

I fear this means that they never practice spiritual disciplines. Is that what it amounts to?

• Informative
Upvote 0