What is the most important spiritual discipline?

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well, again, love is not really a spiritual discipline but a fruit of the Spirit or a virtue of character. Love is supposed to be the thing that spiritual disciplines produce.

The reason that I think that weekly church attendance is the most important spiritual discipline is because it includes almost all the others and it provides us with encouragement and inspiration to practice the others. When we attend church we:
  1. Hear the word of God
  2. Pray
  3. Commune with other believers
  4. Participate in the sacraments
  5. Give thanks to God
  6. Give money to God
  7. Confess sins and repent
  8. Lament over sin
  9. Praise God through song
  10. Show hospitality to outsiders
And many other things. Weekly worship is the discipline that contains all the other disciplines and spurs us on to practice the other disciplines during the week.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This may sound like I'm asking "which is the most important leg on a stool?" or "which is the most important wheel on a car?" And this may be the case.

But I actually do think that there is one discipline that takes primacy over all the rest. There is one discipline that if it's missing from your life will negatively affect all the other disciplines and negatively affect your growth in Christ. I'll name it in the spoiler below, but before you look at my answer I'd like to hear your answer and your rationale.

Weekly Church attendance.
Isaiah chapter 16 verse 5
In love a throne will be established; in faithfulness a man will sit on it-- one from the house of David-- one who in judging seeks justice and speeds the cause of righteousness.
1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers many sins.
The bible has nothing good to say about pastors.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, again, love is not really a spiritual discipline but a fruit of the Spirit or a virtue of character. Love is supposed to be the thing that spiritual disciplines produce.

The reason that I think that weekly church attendance is the most important spiritual discipline is because it includes almost all the others and it provides us with encouragement and inspiration to practice the others. When we attend church we:
  1. Hear the word of God
  2. Pray
  3. Commune with other believers
  4. Participate in the sacraments
  5. Give thanks to God
  6. Give money to God
  7. Confess sins and repent
  8. Lament over sin
  9. Praise God through song
  10. Show hospitality to outsiders
And many other things. Weekly worship is the discipline that contains all the other disciplines and spurs us on to practice the other disciplines during the week.
Give money to God
Matthew chapter 25 verses 31-46
When the Son of Man comes" in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. he will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and got visit you? The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm a pastor in training. Can I use this quote in my signature?
I've read the bible 35 years, I usually spend 2 to 4 hours a day in study, learning from God, I don't know a single pastor who tells the truth, and doesn't lie.
How many years have you been a Christian, if you are, and what makes you think you can be a pastor.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I've read the bible 35 years, I usually spend 2 to 4 hours a day in study, learning from God,

Cool!

I don't know a single pastor who tells the truth, and doesn't lie.

All pastors lie because pastors are sinners too. But do you mean that you've never met a single pastor who teaches the Bible perfectly? If this is the case I guess I haven't either. None of us are perfect in our teaching and all of us surely make some mistakes somewhere.

How many years have you been a Christian, if you are, and what makes you think you can be a pastor.

I've been a Christian for about 10 years. I think I can be a pastor because I've got a desire to do it, I appear to be gifted to do it, the Lord has given me an opportunity to pursue it, I've received encouragement from others to do it, and it certainly fits within God's will laid out in Scripture.

But we'll see. I'm going through the ordination process right now. I'll only become a pastor if other pastors in my denomination examine me and find that I'm qualified and if there's a church out there that actually wants me to serve as a pastor.

If all these stars align then I will feel more confident that the Lord wanted me to become a pastor.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cool!

All pastors lie because pastors are sinners too. But do you mean that you've never met a single pastor who teaches the Bible perfectly? If this is the case I guess I haven't either. None of us are perfect in our teaching and all of us surely make some mistakes somewhere.

I've been a Christian for about 10 years. I think I can be a pastor because I've got a desire to do it, I appear to be gifted to do it, the Lord has given me an opportunity to pursue it, I've received encouragement from others to do it, and it certainly fits within God's will laid out in Scripture.

But we'll see. I'm going through the ordination process right now. I'll only become a pastor if other pastors in my denomination examine me and find that I'm qualified and if there's a church out there that actually wants me to serve as a pastor.

If all these stars align then I will feel more confident that the Lord wanted me to become a pastor.
Here's a pointer, I wouldn't take money for it, I'd work for free.
Matthew chapter 4 verse 4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

John chapter 8 verse 31,32
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, " If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
2 John
9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
Job chapter 23 verse 12
I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Matthew 11
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Luke chapter 21
33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Romans chapter 10
17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Mark chapter 13
31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
James chapter 1
25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
James chapter 4
8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob's descendants, 'Seek me in vain.' I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.
Jeremiah chapter 9
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the Lord.
Jeremiah chapter 5 verse 1
5 “Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
look around and consider,
search through her squares.
If you can find but one person
who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
I will forgive this city.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That sounds like bad advice!
Here's a pointer, I wouldn't take money for it, I'd work for free.
You get no reward if you get paid to preach, how many times have you read the bible, man's knowledge is worthless, if you haven't read the bible much you are not worth anything.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying that we need to pray TO a specific name. I'm saying we need to pray IN a specific name. How can God accept prayers not prayed in the name of Jesus Christ?

So you are able to discern the prayers that God will accept? I have a strong suspicion that God accepts all sincere prayers.

Billy Graham said --- "When names are called for crowns in heaven, they will be the nameless hidden saints among us. They may not be called Christians. They just love God."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You get no reward if you get paid to preach

Where do you get this idea from?

how many times have you read the bible, man's knowledge is worthless, if you haven't read the bible much you are not worth anything.

Not worth anything? That makes me feel sad :oops:.

I've read the Bible a few times.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My vote would be prayer. If we have a relationship with someone, we talk to that person. Now checking your spoiler....

Hmmmm. I'd say yes, what you said is important, but I'm not sure it's THE most important. Although it is true, coals that are separated from the heap won't continue to stay lit.

Going to what people call the 'church' only leads to stagnation.

The warning is wrong.
The solution is wrong.
The illness remains.

There's going to be many found lacking when the time comes.

Matthew7:23"And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

1 Corinthian chapter 9 verse 17
If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great thread subject. I started to answer here, but my answer became too long. Like WAY too long. LOL. I didn't want to appear as a thread hijacker so I posted the qiestion and my response under a new thread titled "Starting our God engines". For those interested, I pray you take the time. I think you will be blessed.

Blessings, Gideon

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This may sound like I'm asking "which is the most important leg on a stool?" or "which is the most important wheel on a car?" And this may be the case.

But I actually do think that there is one discipline that takes primacy over all the rest. There is one discipline that if it's missing from your life will negatively affect all the other disciplines and negatively affect your growth in Christ. I'll name it in the spoiler below, but before you look at my answer I'd like to hear your answer and your rationale.

Weekly Church attendance.
Hello Tree of Life.

Probably loving others as Christ has loved us.

Upvote 0