What Is the Higher Power Atheists Appeal To?

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
You are horribled by the very concept of ''being separated'' that you cannot see the broader, divine, concept. We are not ontologically separated of God; everything is in Him and He is in everything.

Do not be so horrified, would be my suggestion to you.
I am not horrified at all. I don't believe all that. I am just pointing out the internal inconsistencies in this position.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So there we are... in "separation from God", which is "horrible". Obviously, based on the very concept of "separation from God", God isn't there. So how does he come into it? How does he save us from that separation, if he won't do anything until we are so broken and tormented that we "call out to him"?

And what if those separated do not call out?

Which basically means: "I have no idea what I am talking about, but I chose this ignorance as basis for my reasoning."
Well, I won't chide you for that. But it just supports my assertion that your "standard" for power is very arbitrary.

It's not ignorance, it's a way of explaining the human condition that obviously has problems and needs to be corrected. It takes an objectively correct source to correct what's wrong with the world, that's who Jesus is. You may not believe the correct source is Jesus, but either way, a correct source is needed to fix the worlds problems.

Anyway, I don't need to put up with your condescending tone and disrespect of my beliefs.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
It's not ignorance, it's a way of explaining the human condition that obviously has problems and needs to be corrected. It takes an objectively correct source to correct what's wrong with the world, that's who Jesus is. You may not believe the correct source is Jesus, but either way, a correct source is needed to fix the worlds problems.

Anyway, I don't need to put up with your condescending tone and disrespect of my beliefs.
When all of your assumed solution consists of "it will solve it"... it isn't only arbitrary, it is empty.

I know that you place of a lot of emphasis on faith and hope and trust... but again, all you have to show for it is empty.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know that you place of a lot of emphasis on faith and hope and trust... but again, all you have to show for it is empty.
What do you want him to do to demonstrate his faith?

A devout believer in a theologically different god went and bombed the Tokyo subway system with Sarin nerve gas on 20 March 1995, thus putting action to his belief.

A devout believer in a theologically different god flew a 747 into a skyscraper on 11 September 2001, thus putting action to his belief.

These "theologically different gods" are often brought up by the educated elite, wondering why we Christians don't give them equal airtime with Jesus Christ.

Science at its best.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When all of your assumed solution consists of "it will solve it"... it isn't only arbitrary, it is empty.

You make a valid point that generally online forums are not the best way to advance God's Kingdom, but that doesn't mean they can't be used in some small, but important way.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You make a valid point that generally online forums are not the best way to advance God's Kingdom, but that doesn't mean they can't be used in some small, but important way.
Are you saying your claims would be more believable in person?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 14:23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

Wouldn't that include the Internet highway as well?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Luke 14:23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

Wouldn't that include the Internet highway as well?

Yes, of course.

Btw, that particular verse was said after those who were invited said they didn't want to come in, which I think just means if someone rejects you then move on to others who may receive the good news.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
But that is all you have in real life, too. "It will be solved". Nothing else. Empty promises, empty hope.

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps you are wrong. "We'll see." But you have nothing to back it up. Arbitrary.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But that is all you have in real life, too. "It will be solved". Nothing else. Empty promises, empty hope.

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps you are wrong. "We'll see." But you have nothing to back it up. Arbitrary.

I'm not really sure what you'd accept as a backing? On these forums, all you get is my word and my reasoning for why I believe. Maybe it's time we both move on and do something different.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm not really sure what you'd accept as a backing? On these forums, all you get is my word and my reasoning for why I believe. Maybe it's time we both move on and do something different.
You don't need to offer any backing. You don't have to convince me of your beliefs.
But I would hope that you can admit that this is indeed what these are: beliefs. Not universal truths.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't need to offer any backing. You don't have to convince me of your beliefs.
But I would hope that you can admit that this is indeed what these are: beliefs. Not universal truths.

Indeed, they are my beliefs and are not universally accepted at this point in time :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Well in their minds I'm sure they'd like to believe they're appealing to themselves, but that's not the case... I wouldn't call it a "higher power", more like a demonic entity.
As you didn't give any direct quote, I assume that this is in response to the OP. Also, I will assume that there is some kind of reasoning behind this post... but I fear I cannot follow it.

Christians may assume that always and in any situation there is an involved "higher power", and that you can somehow influence the situation by "appealing" to this power.

But atheists do simply not believe that. They first try to assess the situation to find out if there is a "higher power" (whatever that may be), and then to find out if "appealing" is an appropriate way to deal with the situation.

When I am at the supermarket, and my milk is off, I might go to the manager - the "higher power" in this case, and "appeal" to him to get an exchange. This is appropriate. I would never think of "appealing" to myself in such a case - that would be useless. And if someone would see me there, getting to my knees and "appealing" to myself: "Oh great Me... my milk is off. Please, myself, help me!"... I hope they wouldn't consider any "demonic entity" involved... just perfectly secular insanity.

So perhaps you can explain why and how you think atheists "like to believe they're appealing to themselves", and what kind of demonic entity you think is involved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well in their minds I'm sure they'd like to believe they're appealing to themselves, but that's not the case... I wouldn't call it a "higher power", more like a demonic entity.
And you claim to know this is reality how exactly?

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
For some reason, this post makes me angry. I wonder why?...
Anger is an unnecessary emotion in this circumstance, and destructive in almost all circumstances. Therefore don't be angry!

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married