What Is the Higher Power Atheists Appeal To?

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Supreme as God is. All of nature is subordinate to Him.
Okay. To answer your question from post #233, all those natural forces in the Universe that mankind is powerless against? Just because we are powerless against them does not make them superior to us; IMO we are superior to them.

Ken

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Okay. To answer your question from post #233, all those natural forces in the Universe that mankind is powerless against? Just because we are powerless against them does not make them superior to us; IMO we are superior to them.

Ken
Look at the term that Strathos used. "Subordinate".

When a Christian talks about "higher power", it always has the connotation of "authority". A power structure for them is based on "command and obey", not "action and reaction".

It's this difference is views that makes it seem impossible for theists to understand atheists.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Ken

Perhaps you should go and stand in front of an erupting volcano and shout about how superior you are to it. See where that gets you.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you should go and stand in front of an erupting volcano and shout about how superior you are to it. See where that gets you.
"Superior" and "inferior" are too loaded for this discussion unless we specify what we mean.

• Agree
Reactions: quatona
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Perhaps you should challenge the volcano to a game of chess. It wouldn't even know how to place the pieces.

That's the problem with these terms. "Higher" and "superior" and all that. There is no single hierarchy of "power".

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you should challenge the volcano to a game of chess. It wouldn't even know how to place the pieces.

That's the problem with these terms. "Higher" and "superior" and all that. There is no single hierarchy of "power".
Exactly.

A volcano can move more dirt than you. But you can write better poetry.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Why should I do that? I did not stand in front of my dogs and yell at them to establish who was in charge. Surely not when they were 'erupting' for they first time. Instead I worked with their nature and the result was a pack not just willing but eager to do my will.

Mankind is superior to nature in the sense that man can use how nature works to accomplish what man desires. Fools instead try to work against nature and that rarely ends well.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A big part of the difficulty is that the theist is asking about a solution to something that I and many non believers do not view as a problem.

Can your give an example of when an appeal to a higher power is required?

When you can't deal with something yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HerCrazierHalf

closet atheist
Aug 11, 2014
SoCal, US
✟29,273.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
In those cases there's a number of options.

1) Reach out to others for advice, strategy, etc. This includes attempting to learn a skill if the situation allows.
2) Accept that that something beyond your reach or power to affect (directly or others on your behalf). Sometimes bad things happen and we are powerless to affect them.

Those are my top two responses to such situations. Other people may also ask others to help. Humans are powerful when united in a common goal.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And what does this have to do with anything I've said thus far? (hint; nothing) As I said before, there are many things in nature that are bigger and stronger than I am, but that doesn't make it superior.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Lots of people get help from others in difficult circumstances without "appealing to a higher power" at all.

I can also think of several cases when people who are under some difficult situation "appeal to a higher power" instead of continuing to look for real solutions to their problems...and their problems only get worse. It's often that a person has to realize that they'll only find the right answer to their problems if they continue to search for those answers... that they head down the path that eventually leads to a solution.

I think christianity sometimes leaves people in a state of self imposed helplessness. The whole idea that their current situation is part of "gods plan" or that they should pray for a solution to a very fixable problem leaves some people sitting around and waiting for a solution which never comes.

You only need to head over to the singles section to see thread after thread like this. Single people "waiting" for god to bring them the right husband/wife when they should be making a real effort to find that relationship....and they aren't. Instead, they'll bring up a few failures which have stopped them from even trying...or they'll talk about personality flaws (I'm too scared to ask that person for a date....or I don't have a lot of friends, people don't find me likable, low self esteem) which they could be working on improving so they can find someone. They don't though...instead they pray for god to just drop the right person into their life.

What's sad is when you see the long term effects, and you can find these threads as well, of people who are just hoping for god to find them a partner. They end up as single virgins in their 30s...40s...or later...who've never had a meaningful relationship and yet long for one...often bitterly. You can only wonder what might have been for these people if they hadn't spent so many long years simply appealing to a higher power.

Upvote 0

AkaManah

Nov 13, 2017
Baltimore
✟15,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The "higher power" that atheists (origin: Greek átheos meaning "godless") appeal to? I think you missed the point somewhere. It's like saying atheism is a religion. The definition of religion is "a particular system of faith and worship." Atheists don't have a faith in any God to worship. There is no Church of Atheism. There is no atheist Bible. There is no atheist "Higher Power." These are all oxymorons.

To be an atheist is to simply not be religious. And the whole variety of beliefs among individual atheists cannot be generalized, as the only thing all atheists have in common is that they don't believe in a higher power.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical, or at least self-defeating when a religious person calls atheism a religion and then projects the problems of his own religion to atheism? I find it hilarious.

Attachments

• Do you believe in Heaven and Hell?.png
    Do you believe in Heaven and Hell?.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HerCrazierHalf

closet atheist
Aug 11, 2014
SoCal, US
✟29,273.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
.Isn't it a bit hypocritical, or at least self-defeating when a religious person calls atheism a religion and then projects the problems of his own religion to atheism? I find it hilarious.

To be fair to religious and specifically Christian people, my discussions with and reading testimonials from Christians who have deepened their faith, been born again, or converted from atheism (or even other faiths) often involve some unresolved problem. The problems of authority or "meaning" seem to be big drivers towards faith.

For me, these aren't issues that keep me up at night.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The "higher power" that atheists (origin: Greek átheos meaning "godless") appeal to? I think you missed the point somewhere. It's like saying atheism is a religion. The definition of religion is "a particular system of faith and worship." Atheists don't have a faith in any God to worship. There is no Church of Atheism. There is no atheist Bible. There is no atheist "Higher Power." These are all oxymorons.

To be an atheist is to simply not be religious. And the whole variety of beliefs among individual atheists cannot be generalized, as the only thing all atheists have in common is that they don't believe in a higher power.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical, or at least self-defeating when a religious person calls atheism a religion and then projects the problems of his own religion to atheism? I find it hilarious.

Rest assured, not all Christians here will agree on what to expect from an atheist or from her belief.

By the way, welcome to CF!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

By the way, I apologize for calling you a "newb." But, do be aware that there are rules to the CF forums, and if you don't abide by them, then the mods will typically censor your responses accordingly.

Upvote 0