What Is the Higher Power Atheists Appeal To?

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟836,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
it-s-me-austin-o.0.gif

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
An atheist who knows what atheism means should do this.
Well it's just too much of a leading question with the baggage that words like "appeal" and "higher power" carry with them. I doubt you're going to get many decent answers without better clarifying what it is you're getting at.

Upvote 0

just a believing guy

Apr 4, 2017
new caledonia
✟9,857.00
Country
New Caledonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well it's just too much of a leading question with the baggage that words like "appeal" and "higher power" carry with them. I doubt you're going to get many decent answers without better clarifying what it is you're getting at.

As said, an atheist should do this...

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What is the higher power atheists appeal to?
I have no idea what you are asking. Can you give further explanation of your question, because as an atheist i simply got no idea what you are on about.

• Agree
Reactions: Rebecca12
Upvote 0

just a believing guy

Apr 4, 2017
new caledonia
✟9,857.00
Country
New Caledonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no idea what you are asking. Can you give further explanation of your question, because as an atheist i simply got no idea what you are on about.

I myself don't know what atheism is. That's why I asked an atheist to explain it to me. The explanation included the atheists' supposed ''appeal to higher power''. That's why I started this thread.

Upvote 0

jardiniere

Oct 14, 2006
✟152,266.00
Faith
Pantheist
It might be broken apart and become more intelligible. What do you mean "to appeal to"? What does "higher power" mean to you? As far as I know, atheists don't deal with a concept like "higher power", it just doesn't impact their understanding of reality. So if by "appeal to" you mean something like an appeal to one's better nature, as in "try looking at this issue with compassion" , then since atheists don't have higher powers to appeal to, this just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I suppose one could conceive of the natural world as an entity, sort of like Mother Nature, and then claim that's a higher power, but I don't know of atheists that do that other than as rhetorical arguments.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I myself don't know what atheism is. That's why I asked an atheist to explain it to me. The explanation included the atheists' supposed ''appeal to higher power''. That's why I started this thread.
What explanation did he give you? Mine would just be that I don't believe in any of the gods currently available or those believed in throughout human history. I therefore have no "higher authority" to appeal to. Are you perhaps asking why, if there is no "higher authority" do atheists not go around raping and murdering if we feel the urge?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, at least you're honest. Sometimes it is the case that some atheists out there confuse their reasons for being an atheist with what atheism actually is. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods/deities. That's it. If anyone atheist or otherwise comes along and adds to that, then you're getting their additional/personal reasons for why they are an atheist (or why they think others are atheists).

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
He didn't explain, beats me why.
Oh I see.

He probably didnt explain because it makes no sense. Atheism is simply not about respecting "higher power".

Atheism is basically about not believing in gods. But it may be part of various of more complicated worldviews. Thats where people get confused sometimes. They mistakenly think those various worldviews are atheism.

Upvote 0