Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've driven thousands of miles around the US and I think I saw one. I forget where.

There are two roundabouts within two miles of each other in a nearby city in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. I learned how to navigate them myself.

"I spend the day your way.
Call it morning driving thru the sound and in and out the valley."

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds kinda scary...

It is challenging to be sure. One must heed the indecisive traffic. I've probably seen people on their phones asking Siri how to get off the roundabout. It's a jungle out there.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought roundabouts were a communist plot.
The state DOT had us to provide lighting for the first roundabout on our utility system. I suggested setting a great big concrete pole in the center for the lights, but for some reason, they didn't like the idea...

Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟102,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
5 million bucks to buy a little bit of property around a 4 way stop intersection and turn it into a too small roundabout is pretty standard, and take 6 months to construct it.
Sedona, Arizona, The New Age Capital and Elite Resort spent a bundle, often removing perfectly functional stoplights and put in trendy little traffic circles that are the bane of truck drivers and people who don't understand why the road suddenly went around in a whacky circle.
There are 13 in the small town of Sedona. If there are 13 in Sedona there are probably 100 scattered around nearby area.
No one likes them. Everyone was fine with stop signs and traffic lights
Progressive policy, "Any progress, around in a circle or backwards is fine as long as it's Progress."

How much do stop signs and traffic lights cost comparatively?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,299.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is challenging to be sure. One must heed the indecisive traffic. I've probably seen people on their phones asking Siri how to get off the roundabout. It's a jungle out there.
Hal, get me off this ***** roundabout!
I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
5 million bucks to buy a little bit of property around a 4 way stop intersection and turn it into a too small roundabout is pretty standard, and take 6 months to construct it.
Just removing the stop signs would considerably improve conditions quickly

• Haha
Reactions: QvQ
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟102,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just removing the stop signs would considerably improve conditions quickly
Americans love Bumper Cars and Demolition Derbies.
And for the faint of heart, growing old waiting for a break in the traffic.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember my first few roundabouts. It makes perfect sense, go around and leave off where you're headed, but the first few times can be intimidating because you're certain no one knows what they're doing. But I've actually survived every one I've encountered (knock on wood).

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the following issues are pulling the USA apart.

- Our failing public education system. The US has lagged behind other developed countries for quite some time now.
- The increase in racism as we slip further behind. We seemed to be making great progress until the education system took a nosedive.
- Ideological purity tests leading to extremism on the left and on the right. Where did the liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats go?
- Social media echo chambers that foster the extremism mentioned above
- Social media leading to depression in girls and other mental health issues
- The opioid epidemic is tearing apart families via addiction and death
- Inflation without commensurate rises in pay is tearing apart communities. Middle class shrinks as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
but the first few times can be intimidating because you're certain no one knows what they're doing.
Amazing how many think those inside the circle are the ones who are supposed to yield.
You want an experience you should try the one around the Arc de Triomphe in Paris

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've driven thousands of miles around the US and I think I saw one. I forget where.
Here in New England, we have them all over the place. We call them rotaries.

300px-LowellRotary1.jpg

-- A2SG, look kids, Big Ben.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Amazing how many think those inside the circle are the ones who are supposed to yield
Do they actually think that, or are they just impatient and selfish? This reminds me of a stretch of highway I used to take where two lanes merge into one. Drivers are supposed "zipper in" alternating every other car, but many use it as an opportunity to stay in the fast lane until the very end, thereby cutting ahead of everybody else. This has lead to a few heated discussions in the office.

The roundabout I take on my commute has been uneventful, but I can see how it might intimidate drivers who are new to traffic circles.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I lived in Seattle I learned a lot of our road taxes went to busses and ferries. Where I live in Kentucky the roads are fantastic.
I live about 60 miles north of the Kentucky line. My wife has family in Linefork, which is almost in Tennessee.

I recall that there was a big push in Cincinnati for a streetcar downtown; but many thought it was a waste of money. The powers that be, went through with it anyway. The last I heard, you can ride it for free. I wonder how that is being paid for.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
When I lived in Seattle I learned a lot of our road taxes went to busses and ferries. Where I live in Kentucky the roads are fantastic.
The Washington State Ferry has been part of the Washington State Highway system for a long time.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There are some in Utah and the ones I've seen have been well designed and not just shoehorned in after the fact. Utah does seem to like to experiment with traffic, such as having diverging diamonds on some freeway exits:
And several continuous flow freeway exit intersections:

Upvote 0