Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that political correctness is usually taken too far by the Left. But I see the response on the Right as demanding the right to insult people without consequence.

Several years ago Todd Aiken, while running for office, offered up the phrase "legitimate rape", and claimed (falsely) that during rape, a woman's body prevents pregnancy. When he went on to lose that election Aiken blamed "PC Culture". He, like much of the new Right, believes that for some reason he should be able to say something stupid, offensive and false, and people would still vote for him. "I should be able to say stuff like that, and not suffer any social consequence for it. If I do, it's because the world is too politically correct. It's their fault, not mine."

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
How about suspending an eight year old for chewing his poptart into the shape of a gun?
That has nothing to do with political correctness, that has more to do with zero tolerance rules. But what do you expect in a society that supports mandatory minimums and three strike laws? It has nothing to do with political correctness.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I lament watering down (and/or twisting) the words democracy, good, rights, tolerance, discrimination, sport, burger, ... actually, let me get out a dictionary ... OK, starting with the letter A we've got ...

Point of pedantry - dictionaries are not authoritative tomes on spelling and meaning, but merely a linguistic snapshot of how words are being spelled and used at the time of publication.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I can’t hold a door open for a lady anymore because thanks to pc, that is no longer courtesy, but it is now sexist.

I hold doors open for all kinds of people - women, men, children - and not once have I been accused of being sexist, racist or anything of the sort. I generally get a "thank you".

Where do you live that when you hold a door for a lady people accuse you of being sexist?

Probably a college town.

idk... I've lived in big liberal college towns for the last ~10 years; I make a point of holding the door for people all the time and have had zero issues. Sometimes I get nothing, but I usually get a thank you. I work in the arts and my wife works in academia, so it's not like we avoid the liberal elitist crowd.

IME, most people seem genuinely appreciative of the gesture.

Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way
Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
PC is all about being kind, and showing some common decency and empathy.
It's really easy to do and simple to understand.
There is no good reason NOT to do those things. If you think there are good reasons not to do those things, then you have some serious personal issues that you need to deal with - especially if you claim to be a Christian.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That has nothing to do with political correctness, that has more to do with zero tolerance rules. But what do you expect in a society that supports mandatory minimums and three strike laws? It has nothing to do with political correctness.

Hogwash! It’s a child with a pop tart. Not a three time felon.

That is the textbook difference between reality and common sense.

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Сделайте Америку прекрасной
Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm saying political correctness has fueled the more outlandish speech. Forbidding something makes people want it more.

Oh. I see. You are 100% correct. It is ALWAYS the Left's fault. Always.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For example, a 2015 debate about campus sexual assault at Brown University led some women on campus to fear the dialogue would trigger civil rights warnings to a degree that at the University’s guidance, attendees “who might find the debate upsetting” were provided with “a safe space room” equipped with “cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies,” as reported by the New York Times.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-when-political-correctness-goes-too-far/amp/

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
For example, a 2015 debate about campus sexual assault at Brown University led some women on campus to fear the dialogue would trigger civil rights warnings to a degree that at the University’s guidance, attendees “who might find the debate upsetting” were provided with “a safe space room” equipped with “cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies,” as reported by the New York Times.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-when-political-correctness-goes-too-far/amp/

Yes we know that the Left can be very goofy at times. VERY goofy.

Thank you for pointing out all the excesses of the people on the Left.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

What's wrong with that? My wife needs those things to watch Stranger Things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say that.

I'm just interpretting almost every one of your posts on this forum. You have assured me you are not necessarily aligned with the Right so I am assuming that since the Left is almost always to blame in your posts that indeed it is because the Left is almost always to blame.

How else could we interpret the comments of an unbiased source such as yourself?

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm just interpretting almost every one of your posts on this forum. You have assured me you are not necessarily aligned with the Right so I am assuming that since the Left is almost always to blame in your posts that indeed it is because the Left is almost always to blame.

How else could we interpret the comments of an unbiased source such as yourself?

I never claimed I was unbiased.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I'll ask again, why does this bother you?

Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I never claimed I was unbiased.

I misspoke, I meant one who defies being aligned with one side over another. You are "fair" in that you are not 100% on the Right (despite never saying anything even marginally positive about the Left and instead posting an unending string of attacks on the Left) or 100% on the Left.

If I cannot interpret the information you post as being at least a "fair" (and non-aligned) assessment of the Left and how it is always wrong, who could I possibly get a clear understanding from?

I get it. The Left is wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Obliquinaut

Jun 30, 2017
Washington
✟35,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'll ask again, why does this bother you?

It's funny. The Left is made up of loons. It's funny to laugh at them. Because the Right is made up of steely-eyed realists who are able to buck up and take what life gives them calmly and rationally.

Like Ben Garrison:
hillary_devil_ben_garrison_web.jpg

Upvote 0