Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟148,100.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Would you hold open the door for a guy?

I think that question is largely irrelevant. I do hold doors for guys, but most of the time it's for people I don't know. How does this lady know I don't hold doors for guys? Is she going to stop and ask me and decide whether or not to accept my offer of kindness based on my answer? Why not quiz me on a whole list of litmus tests: What is my position on abortion, on LBGT, on intervention overseas?

When women refuse to go through a door held by a man, it is just as sexist a response as the presumed sexism of the man.

It's been many, many years since it's happened to me, but in college I did have girls refuse to go through the door when I held it for them. However, I did recently have an interesting experience. I held a door for a woman, and she said "Thank you." It was a double door, so she held the next for me. I walked through and said, "Thank you." She answered, "Now we're even."

Umm. That wasn't the point. It kinda ruined her gesture.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Political Correctness began in the 1990s and has matured into the beast we see it to be today. The basis of political correctness is that "do unto others as you would like others to do unto you" also involves catering to/enabling people's insecurities.
It's not all bad, but it has resulted in me having less conversations

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,129.00
Faith
Atheist
Please begin. What is political correctness?

I can’t hold a door open for a lady anymore because thanks to pc, that is no longer courtesy, but it is now sexist.

I hold doors open for all kinds of people - women, men, children - and not once have I been accused of being sexist, racist or anything of the sort. I generally get a "thank you".

Where do you live that when you hold a door for a lady people accuse you of being sexist?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I hold doors open for all kinds of people - women, men, children - and not once have I been accused of being sexist, racist or anything of the sort. I generally get a "thank you".

Where do you live that when you hold a door for a lady people accuse you of being sexist?

Probably a college town.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like a place with high population density. Being kind and considerate is not wrong, but some people will take offense because they have been told that they are entitled because they possess a label.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like a place with high population density. Being kind and considerate is not wrong, but some people will take offense because they have been told that they are entitled because they possess a label.
And some will be suspicious because they are not used to people being kind. I think that was the case in the post I mentioned it happened to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Political Correctness began in the 1990s
Actually, we heard it starting in the late 1970s, and it probably grew out of the job description inflation of the 1960s, when you could no longer call garbage collectors that, but rather "sanitation engineers."

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Political Correctness exists because the church does not emulate Galatians 3:28.
However, now that political correctness is here Galatians 3:28 amounts to spiritual bypassing.
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28) See also Colossians 3:11.
Imagine going to a Black Lives Matters Protest and announcing that there is no black or white, all are one in Christ Jesus, so politically incorrect.

Reactions: greenguzzi
Upvote 0