Is it OK to defund or not fund evil politics and otherwise ?

sprknjc

John 15:13
Feb 3, 2024
Northern Virginia outer suburbs
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well of course, many would say not to buy into evil, but also of course it happens intentionally, accidentally, not knowingly, or no other reasonable choice given your at the moment circumstances to meet life's needs. It is also said love the sinner, hate the sin. How do you respond to these situations?

* Not donating to a political campaign because you don't agree with the candidate's politics.

* Sure you need to pay the IRS taxes what is due Ceaser, but you don't use nor pay user fees at national parks, or anything else with a user fee like a museum.

* With local school politics you don't morally agree with left side indoctrination of children in your locality. Got to pay taxes again, and due to money and time constraints, your kids go to the public schools. However, you can choose not to fund sports activities, attend drama events, or go to adult education classes, so not funding the school budget in that way.

* In other local county, town, or city politics, not use and paying per trip on public buses, not paying the grocery bag tax enriching some local government coffers, and not use public pools or recreational facilities with user fees.

* In shopping avoiding the modern versions of so called adult bookstore of yesteryear. En mass it had an effect last summer, the mass merchandise retailer selling transgender swimwear, and the nationwide drink company with a TV advertising model person which did not sit well with the working class and others which the company saw their sales plummet. Or if right down the street from you, a store of a national grocer based in San Francisco with higher prices, the city with a higher cost of living area having a liberal lifestyle, so you go into the store buying only or mostly items on sale so not to profit them.

* Do you hire for your landscaping and other manual labor jobs paying people hanging out outside the 7-11?

* Though Jesus and God calls to help the truly down and out, but what if you know giving charitably, you are funding bad behavior. Once came out of a Christian concert inside a city at night, when also a friend with me, a guy is yelling $4.29 which we figured out was the going price for a non sober drink then. Or you give food and money to a local food pantry knowing the demographics of their client base, and then you see the same people, some from South of the Border, having loud and lavish parties with a DJ and putting off fireworks in one or more local neighborhoods where they live, at least mentally disturbing other neighbors there.

Several examples here above. Other ones to discuss and debate?

Last edited:

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well of course, many would say not to buy into evil, but also of course it happens intentionally, accidentally, not knowingly, or no other reasonable choice given your at the moment circumstances to meet life's needs. It is also said love the sinner, hate the sin. How do you respond to these situations?

* Not donating to a political campaign because you don't agree with the candidate's politics.

* Sure you need to pay the IRS taxes what is due Ceaser, but you don't use nor pay user fees at national parks, or anything else with a user fee like a museum.

* With local school politics you don't morally agree with left side indoctrination of children in your locality. Got to pay taxes again, and due to money and time constraints, your kids go to the public schools. However, you can choose not to fund sports activities, attend drama events, or go to adult education classes, so not funding the school budget in that way.

* In other local county, town, or city politics, not use and paying per trip on public buses, not paying the grocery bag tax enriching some local government coffers, and not use public pools or recreational facilities with user fees.

* In shopping avoiding the modern versions of so called adult bookstore of yesteryear. En mass it had an effect last summer, the mass merchandise retailer selling transgender swimwear, and the nationwide drink company with a TV advertising model person which did not sit well with the working class and others which the company saw their sales plummet. Or if right down the street from you, a store of a national grocer based in San Francisco with higher prices, the city with a higher cost of living area having a liberal lifestyle, so you go into the store buying only or mostly items on sale so not to profit them.

* Do you hire for your landscaping and other manual labor jobs paying people hanging out outside the 7-11?

* Though Jesus and God calls to help the truly down and out, but what if you know giving charitably, you are funding bad behavior. Once came out of a Christian concert inside a city at night, when also a friend with me, a guy is yelling $4.29 which we figured out was the going price for a non sober drink then. Or you give food and money to a local food pantry knowing the demographics of their client base, and then you see the same people, some from South of the Border, having loud and lavish parties with a DJ and putting off fireworks in one or more local neighborhoods where they live, at least mentally disturbing other neighbors there.

If you feel that way about interacting with a sinful world, perhaps your personal salvation is best preserved by withdrawing from the world altogether for a while. It is not an unprecedented situation and many religions offer some form of monastic retreat. Does yours?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Some people choose not to invest in companies who exploit workers, pollute the environment, and other reasons.
There are socially conscious mutual funds funds but their values might not match yours.
A pro-life conservative may find many pharmaceutical companies objectionable--but the socially conscious fund might oppose Smith and Wesson while owning a pharmaceutical for its manufacturing life-saving drugs...along with birth control.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sounds like a spiteful way to live, always looking for “evil” to punish.

• Winner
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Evil is in the eye of the beholder. In Jesus's eye, everyone is "evil" but he still loved us all. Love the sinner? I prefer to love my neighbor because we are all sinners even today. Somehow we placed ourselves on a pedestal forgetting we are still sinners just because we believe in a creator does not make us any better than our neighbor.
Though Jesus and God calls to help the truly down and out, but what if you know giving charitably, you are funding bad behavior.
Not sure where in the bible it says to give if they are "truly" in need. The Pharisees thought the dude lying in the ditch truly didn't need help, maybe they thought he was drunk or on drugs, but the good Samaritan helped. We have become Pharasis, how about letting God deal with bad behavior (sin) and we do our part?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We regularly boycott companies and products promoting wicked and depraved cultural evils. We do not buy certain products that promote the wickedness of Sodom and the mutilation of children. We got rid of Netflix shortly after they blasphemed our Lord and promoted the sexualization of children. There is no way I could ever vote for a politician who was in favor of the slaughter of innocents. We have not shopped at Target for years. There are actors where we refuse to watch their movies. I used to love George Harrison's music, but since he personally financed "The Life of Brian," he is gone. We are to be salt and light. My heart will not allow me to participate in or support these things, especially things that blaspheme and insult our Lord in heaven. How can you look in the face of our blessed Lord and Savior Jesus knowing that you supported by money and attendance something like “The First Temptation of Christ,” where He was portrayed as gay, or "The Last Hangover." I could go on and on with products, movies, TV, politicians. It is not that I want some doctrinal/religious law... but how can your heart do this to your friend?

Reactions: sprknjc
Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does not God use us as instruments to accomplish His work? Money is frequently mentioned in the Bible. Christians are in this world, but not of this word participating much in its evil. My church a number of years ago, one of its assistant pastors led a group of mostly young adults interested, to go to a local bar to share the Gospel in casual conversations. Did they buy alcoholic drinks, no, but instead bought other ones. Also a few went to just outside the local Target store in the parking lot, just asking random shoppers what they thought about Jesus Christ getting mixed responses, later shared on video at church, this not in a strong southern conservative area,, but those few did not do their weekly shopping there. Another cold winter, long lines at the DMV vehicle office, and they were handing out free coffee which was much appreciated, and people asked questions, which opened conversations when people asked why. Over the years, I have served in youth ministry with some teens still searching, and stocked shelves at the food panty and not all clients were Christian but were referred and screened by county social services. At the same time, God calls us to use time and money resources wisely, as instances in the Bible of those going into poverty who spent foolishly, so we need to discern as best possible between good and evil.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We regularly boycott companies and products promoting wicked and depraved cultural evils. We do not buy certain products that promote the wickedness of Sodom and the mutilation of children. We got rid of Netflix shortly after they blasphemed our Lord and promoted the sexualization of children. There is no way I could ever vote for a politician who was in favor of the slaughter of innocents. We have not shopped at Target for years. There are actors where we refuse to watch their movies. I used to love George Harrison's music, but since he personally financed "The Life of Brian," he is gone. We are to be salt and light. My heart will not allow me to participate in or support these things, especially things that blaspheme and insult our Lord in heaven. How can you look in the face of our blessed Lord and Savior Jesus knowing that you supported by money and attendance something like “The First Temptation of Christ,” where He was portrayed as gay, or "The Last Hangover." I could go on and on with products, movies, TV, politicians. It is not that I want some doctrinal/religious law... but how can your heart do this to your friend?
This is true and I do the same, with corporations and the lying media, I do not support their messages. God's money can be better served to help people on the streets and charities instead of greedy corporations and governments.

• Agree
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Love your post! I gave up on dealing with Verizon Wireless directly five years ago. Not so much them a stance on many political issues, but there was greed of the executives and institutional stockholders, which no problem spending money on marketing, but spending on customer service lacked, sometimes hours or parts of a couple of days on the phone, and sometimes not get clear cut resolution to question or issue timely. On the positive side, found Cell Phones and Plans | Support a Pro-Life, Pro-Family Charity | Charity Mobile , Catholic based with Christian values, great customer service, by phone and email, well trained, get matters resolved quickly so can get on with the rest of your day, though they use the VZW network which have few problems, better than another carrier involved in the immigration culture wars I researched.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I applaud you for thinking carefully about how you spend your money.

On political donations: Yes, definitely don't donate to the campaigns of candidates you don't agree with. You don't even have to donate to the candidates you DO agree with. Just vote.

On grocery bags: The easiest way to avoid Virginia's grocery bag tax is to bring your own reusable bags when you shop.

On charitable donations: You may want to choose charities that screen their recipients, if you're concerned that wealthy people are taking advantage of free stuff when they shouldn't.

On national chains of supermarkets and other grocery stores: This could be a reason to buy local, if that's an option for you. I'm lucky enough to have a number of farm markets near me. I don't think they advertise at all, beyond having a big sign out front saying that they're selling pumpkins or strawberries this week. If you have small markets like that near you, that could be a way to avoid advertising by spokespeople you disapprove of, and to buy from people that you know something about.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Anyone here use this? America's Marketplace | PublicSquare They appear to hold traditional conservative values (listed toward bottom inside weblink) as an online shopping marketplace. Also found this uplifting interview about Public Square Conservative version of Amazon gaining following by consumers feeling abandoned by woke corporations | Fox News Video

Personally though find Amazon a mixed bag, selling products of interest to both Believers and liberals. I don't fund them with a Prime monthly subscription, a money maker for them for mix of charitable causes, but practically for here cheaper annually to occasionally pay faster shipping charges when truly need. I look for good deals there like OTC pharmacy, even cheaper than Walmart at times like Xyzal, and quite hard to find items locally. I know they support causes on both sides of the aisle, but sometimes you don't have another reasonable choice for a particular purchase given life circumstances at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Well, as Christians our objective is to live out our faith. It's quite simple, making it seem difficult in it's simplicity.

Like you said, we have to pay taxes, and we have to live here.

Then you come to the place where rubber meets road, and how you live declares what you believe in some form or fashion.

I don't go to bars, drink alcohol, donate money to Marxist orgs or attend parties.

However, I believe going to museums, national parks and other such places, even if they cost a few dollars to visit, are positive investments of our money because entry fees almost always simply pays for the upkeep and continued operation.

These parks and museums and science centers are essential resources for parents everywhere to have reasonably inexpensive places where families with children can grow and learn and experience and have positive recreational activities together.

That was something my dad did with us kids growing up and honestly they were the best parts of growing up. Doing day hikes and barbeques and hitting up the zoo etc. We were always doing the family thing and it's very nice for kids.

If we don't continue to support the things that are truly good and wholesome for children, the next generation won't have them at all .. and then where would they be?

It's worth fighting for the integrity of these places - we see what happens to society when there's not enough wholesome things to do in one's spare time.

But I think this is where living out our faith comes into play. Just because we want to do something doesn't make it right to do and vice versa.

The Bible says in Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" and again in Hosea 4:14 "and a people without understanding shall come to ruin".

The Scriptures are the guidebook, it's to us to do enough study so we can pass the test.

And the test is here....

I always pray, study the scriptures for myself and listen to a couple pastors on a topic before I make any solid determinations.

for myself that's simply how to be Christian. I do think that what God asks is that we don't let the vagrancies of the world and it's tumult affect how we conduct ourselves.

Christians just plod along, doing the Christian thing in Christ. So whether the issue is voting, or what is opposed to God, or whether we should support our local zoo, the answer is in the Bible.

Our biggest ask in prayer should be for ever greater discernment so that we don't fall by the wayside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Whenever I hear people say not to be a giver because the givee may ‘misuse’ the gived I know that the spectre of Christian holier than thou moralising is holding the doors of kindness and charity closed.

Upvote 0

sprknjc

Feb 3, 2024
✟6,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
However, I believe going to museums, national parks and other such places, even if they cost a few dollars to visit, are positive investments of our money because entry fees almost always simply pays for the upkeep and continued operation.

These parks and museums and science centers are essential resources for parents everywhere to have reasonably inexpensive places where families with children can grow and learn and experience and have positive recreational activities together.

That was something my dad did with us kids growing up and honestly they were the best parts of growing up. Doing day hikes and barbecues and hitting up the zoo etc. We were always doing the family thing and it's very nice for kids.

If we don't continue to support the things that are truly good and wholesome for children, the next generation won't have them at all .. and then where would they be?

It's worth fighting for the integrity of these places - we see what happens to society when there's not enough wholesome things to do in one's spare time.
Good point about supporting these places for your children to learn. I am though now without children in the household. Only thing is making sure these museums, historical sites, and monuments not blatantly show the so called progressive agenda to impressionable young kids such as Statue of Baphomet - Wikipedia , which is likely not the best example if you are bringing up your children with right upbringing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Good point about supporting these places for your children to learn. I am though now without children in the household. Only thing is making sure these museums, historical sites, and monuments not blatantly show the so called progressive agenda to impressionable young kids such as Statue of Baphomet - Wikipedia , which is likely not the best example if you are bringing up your children with right upbringing.

If you don't like religious statues in public spaces there are solutions to that... (correct answer: no religious monuments in public spaces).

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and monuments not blatantly show the so called progressive agenda to impressionable young kids such as Statue of Baphomet - Wikipedia , which is likely not the best example if you are bringing up your children with right upbringing.
But isn't it also a parent's job to educate their kids? Too much paranoia among Christians. How can you explain your views about the world without exposing them to the world?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But isn't it also a parent's job to educate their kids? Too much paranoia among Christians. How can you explain your views about the world without exposing them to the world?

It's about responsible parenting and taking as a family about what your family is and believes and why you care about y and z but those people over there, their values are x.

You teach your children about the things that you and your family values, you do it every day, every time you teach them not to use plastic or whatever you might teach.

Christians are more conscious about when and how to approach things we consider significant.

Not everyone knows every topic, but if you know this year you think your child is old enough to learn about x it gives you time to acclimate to the topic to explain to your children.

So not being surprised by major things if you can help it is important when parenting, that's just in general. I don't think I've ever met a parent who wouldn't agree.

Plus having some area's that are free from all those types things is also positive. This is likely why you find a lot of outdoorsy Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0