What if Jesus comes tomorrow and it turns out these scriptures mean exactly as they read?

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am going to leave this thread with this. I think people will be saved from many different denominations. I am sure there will be many, many God loving Catholics that will be saved. We are only judged based on our knowledge and God knows our hearts. Jesus is coming soon and I hope to see all of you there. God bless.

God bless you too! I want you to know I have no animosity towards you at all; I know we have a major theological disagreement but as I have said repeatedly, my desire is for ecumenical peace and unity.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,414.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think people will be saved from many different denominations.
I believe what the Church teaches, every properly Baptized person who dies in a state of grace will be saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,737.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Many high church Anglicans do actually believe in Transsubstantiation or something similiar, despite the Black Rubric. That’s also a major reason why the so-called Black Rubric has been omitted from most versions of the Book of Common Prayer used outside the Church of England, and it was also omitted from the 1928 Deposited Book which Parliament rejected.
Confessional Lutherans would also reject the "Black Rubric" as it mostly is at odds with the plain reading of Scripture.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Confessional Lutherans would also reject the "Black Rubric" as it mostly is at odds with the plain reading of Scripture.

Indeed, I figured you would. By the way, I love the name of that rubric; it has a certain morbidity to it eh?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How would I know if you fully have Jesus?

I have received and accepted Jesus, who lives in me by his Spirit - why do you need to know if I fully have him?
I was asking you if, because you say I have only a "subset" of the truth, that means you believe that I don't fully have, or have received, Jesus. It seems the answer to that might be "yes".

But what you are doing is missing out. Jesus presents us a banquet, and you choose not to partake of it completely.

Says who? The Catholic church or the Lord - clue, it's not the latter.

in my view.Jesus, the Truth, left us a faith. A way to practice what He taught us. You disagree with how to carry that out.

Many people - I'm sure Catholics included - have different interpretations of Jesus' words and different ideas about putting them into practice. That doesn't mean we don't accept that Jesus is the Truth.

Regarding the Rock, Can't Jesus be the foundation on which the Rock, Peter was building on? Jesus is the cornerstone on which the Church was built.

I know, and agree.
But Catholics still say that the church was built on Peter.

Because historically, what is meant by what was written was known by the original Church, and then changed 1500 years later.

Or maybe that's what you've been told.
Are you saying that Jesus said something to his disciples about the Lord's Supper that was not recorded, or later changed? Are you saying that the Gospels we have today are wrong, have omitted something or have been tampered with? What evidence is there for that?

The early church broke bread together, daily. Paul wrote that Jesus said "do this in memory of me".
Beyond that, we have no details about how the early church celebrated the Lord's Supper.
Did an apostle always have to be present? We don't know.
Did they, and the people, say certain words, or listen to an account of the Last Supper? We don't know.
Did they ask anyone who gathered to break bread with them exactly what they believed about John 6? If they did, it wasn't considered important enough to record.
Paul criticised the Corinthian church, not because they failed to do/believe any of the above but because they were not united in their celebration - one person ate as much as they wanted and got drunk, while another went without.

The bottom line is the Protestants believe in Jesus, the eternal Word of God, the bread of life and the True Vine, who died to reconcile us to God. We believe that we eat and drink his body and blood at communion, and that he is present with us and in us. We break bread in memory of him, as he told us to. But apparently this isn't good enough for Catholics who will not allow us to share this sacrament in their church - having the same Saviour and the same Gospel still does not allow us to share communion together.
And it's not the Lord who denies us this chance of fellowship.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,737.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have received and accepted Jesus, who lives in me by his Spirit - why do you need to know if I fully have him?
I was asking you if, because you say I have only a "subset" of the truth, that means you believe that I don't fully have, or have received, Jesus. It seems the answer to that might be "yes".

Many people - I'm sure Catholics included - have different interpretations of Jesus' words and different ideas about putting them into practice. That doesn't mean we don't accept that Jesus is the Truth.

I know, and agree.

Are you saying that Jesus said something to his disciples about the Lord's Supper that was not recorded, or later changed? Are you saying that the Gospels we have today are wrong, have omitted something or have been tampered with? What evidence is there for that?

The early church broke bread together, daily. Paul wrote that Jesus said "do this in memory of me".
Beyond that, we have no details about how the early church celebrated the Lord's Supper.
Did they, and the people, say certain words, or listen to an account of the Last Supper? We don't know.
Did they ask anyone who gathered to break bread with them exactly what they believed about John 6? If they did, it wasn't considered important enough to record.
Paul criticised the Corinthian church, not because they failed to do/believe any of the above but because they were not united in their celebration - one person ate as much as they wanted and got drunk, while another went without.

The bottom line is the Protestants believe in Jesus, the eternal Word of God, the bread of life and the True Vine, who died to reconcile us to God. We believe that we eat and drink his body and blood at communion, and that he is present with us and in us. We break bread in memory of him, as he told us to. But apparently this isn't good enough for Catholics who will not allow us to share this sacrament in their church - having the same Saviour and the same Gospel still does not allow us to share communion together.
And it's not the Lord who denies us this chance of fellowship.
Closed communion practiced among traditional Christians with a more historic view of the real presence is not done to alienate or punish others not in fellowship, it is done to protect them. Scripture clearly admonishes the Church that those who fail to discern Christ's body and blood eat and drink God's judgement upon themselves. Scripture not only warns against spiritual harm, but physical illness and death for some. We need to read and understand the whole of Scripture and apply it with equal zeal. A few Churches still do this... Catholics, Confessional Lutherans, Orthodox. Remember, the Eucharist is not about what we do for God, it is all about what God continues to do for us!

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Closed communion practiced among traditional Christians with a more historic view of the real presence is not done to alienate or punish others not in fellowship, it is done to protect them.

It's only their view that we need protecting.
What would we be "protected" from? It is the blood of Christ which protects us from the evil one, and that is what we are receiving.

Scripture clearly admonishes the Church that those who fail to discern Christ's body and blood eat and drink God's judgement upon themselves.

i) That's an interpretation.
The context of 1 Corinthians 11:29 is that Paul was admonishing the Corinthians for not correctly, and fairly, observing the Lord's Supper - 1 Corinthians 11:18, "I hear there are divisions between you", 1 Corinthians 11:21 "for as you eat, each one goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk," 1 Corinthians 11:22, "do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing?" Paul has already written about the divisions in the Corinthian church in chapter 3 - some follow Paul and some follow Apollos; in chapter 14 he addresses further divisions - some spoke in tongues and were apparently boasting about such a gift. In 1 Corinthians 11:27 he says that anyone who eats the bread in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning - clearly, arriving at the Lord's Supper, rushing ahead to eat and getting drunk is an unworthy manner. In v 29 he says that the Corinthians needed to recognise the body of the Lord; from what has gone before, it seems clear that he means "recognise that you are all the body of Christ, respect one another and don't humiliate folk." They should not act independently and think "I've received all I want/need, blow anybody else".

ii) Even if it did mean that those who fail to discern that the bread and wine are actually Christ's body and blood - which appears to be what you, Catholics and maybe others are saying - who's to say that we don't? We receive communion hearing the words, "the body of Christ, give for you; the blood of Christ which was shed for you." It is Christ's body and blood that we receive - not that of anyone else.

Scripture not only warns against spiritual harm, but physical illness and death for some. We need to read and understand the whole of Scripture and apply it with equal zeal.

Yes, so you need to read that verse in the context in which it was written. Paul doesn't write about the Lord's Supper to any other church; they obviously weren't behaving as the Corinthians were.

Remember, the Eucharist is not about what we do for God, it is all about what God continues to do for us!

Precisely.
It is the Lord's table, the Lord invites us, the Lord tells us to commemorate his Son whom he gave to die for us and the Lord sends his Spirit to bless us.
If anyone is harbouring sin in their hearts, eating unworthily, out of habit or with no understanding of what is going on, and if that is a sin which displeases God, HE can convict us/that person by his Spirit, and/or rebuke them afterwards.
It's not up to men to say "WE judge you to be unworthy so we are withholding this sacrament, and blessing, from you."
And those who try, may have to answer to the Lord one day.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The vast majority of Catholics, as per the survey numbers who identify as Catholics, are today not eligible to receive Jesus in the Holy Eucharist. As to those who are eligible, those Catholics must normally fast before receiving. Also remember that the Bible was never intended to be a rule book encompassing all of the Catholic faith. While not a lot of historical documents survive from the first hundred years of the Catholic Church, there are some. St. Agnatius of Antioch, in his Letter to the Smyrnaeans, 110 A.D. said: "Let only that Eucharist be regarded as legitimate, which is celebrated under [the presidency of] the bishop or him whom he has entrusted it."
and
"Take note of those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ, which has come to us, and see how contrary their opinions are to the mind of God. . . . [7, 2] They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the Flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, Flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in His goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes." [He is opposing the Docetist heresy]

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,737.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Sure, your interpretation that the clear words of scripture done mean what they say.

I am not surprised since most seem to need to self interpret and disregard both Scripture and the cloud of witnesses which include the Fathers and Doctors of the Church.

That's OK; I am sure you know better.

It's only their view that we need protecting.
What would we be "protected" from? It is the blood of Christ which protects us from the evil one, and that is what we are receiving.

i) That's an interpretation.
The context of 1 Corinthians 11:29 is that Paul was admonishing the Corinthians for not correctly, and fairly, observing the Lord's Supper - 1 Corinthians 11:18, "I hear there are divisions between you", 1 Corinthians 11:21 "for as you eat, each one goes ahead without waiting for anybody else. One remains hungry, another gets drunk," 1 Corinthians 11:22, "do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing?" Paul has already written about the divisions in the Corinthian church in chapter 3 - some follow Paul and some follow Apollos; in chapter 14 he addresses further divisions - some spoke in tongues and were apparently boasting about such a gift. In 1 Corinthians 11:27 he says that anyone who eats the bread in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning - clearly, arriving at the Lord's Supper, rushing ahead to eat and getting drunk is an unworthy manner. In v 29 he says that the Corinthians needed to recognise the body of the Lord; from what has gone before, it seems clear that he means "recognise that you are all the body of Christ, respect one another and don't humiliate folk." They should not act independently and think "I've received all I want/need, blow anybody else".

ii) Even if it did mean that those who fail to discern that the bread and wine are actually Christ's body and blood - which appears to be what you, Catholics and maybe others are saying - who's to say that we don't? We receive communion hearing the words, "the body of Christ, give for you; the blood of Christ which was shed for you." It is Christ's body and blood that we receive - not that of anyone else.

Yes, so you need to read that verse in the context in which it was written. Paul doesn't write about the Lord's Supper to any other church; they obviously weren't behaving as the Corinthians were.

Precisely.
It is the Lord's table, the Lord invites us, the Lord tells us to commemorate his Son whom he gave to die for us and the Lord sends his Spirit to bless us.
If anyone is harbouring sin in their hearts, eating unworthily, out of habit or with no understanding of what is going on, and if that is a sin which displeases God, HE can convict us/that person by his Spirit, and/or rebuke them afterwards.
It's not up to men to say "WE judge you to be unworthy so we are withholding this sacrament, and blessing, from you."
And those who try, may have to answer to the Lord one day.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure, your interpretation that the clear words of scripture done mean what they say.

That's just it; they are NOT clear words of Scripture.

The text says "whoever fails to discern the body of the Lord". It does not say "whoever fails to discern the body of the Lord, that is to say whoever does not believe X about the bread and wine" - THAT would be clear and unambiguous.
From the context it seems clear that "body of the Lord" means other believers; i.e the body of Christ. Read the passage and consider what Paul is saying - he is criticising believers who go to the Lord's Supper, eat/drink what they want to satisfy their own needs and blow anybody else. Paul doesn't talk at all about belief or what it is that we should discern about the body and blood of Christ. He does not say that the bread and wine are about X and we all have to believe that or we can't receive it.
The church teaches that; Paul didn't, neither did Jesus.

I am not surprised since most seem to need to self interpret and disregard both Scripture and the cloud of witnesses which include the Fathers and Doctors of the Church.

So have you got any answer for my points about reading the passage in context, and what the preceding verses say?

That's OK; I am sure you know better.

I know what reading Scripture in context means. I know what Paul says in the verses before the one that you quoted - and I have heard nothing from you to answer that.
Maybe you're avoiding it because it doesn't suit your argument?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God's church is not the Catholic church. God's church is not a denomination, it's His people who choose to follow Him and keep all of His Words and not the teachings of man. The pope is a man, He will die, He does not have eternal life unless Jesus gives Him grace when He comes on the clouds of Glory.
OK how do you know God's Church is not the Catholic Church? FYI, the Catholic Church is not a denomination, every other church is. The Holy Spirit names the pope, which is God's appointment. Duh, the man will die. We are 100% mortal. What does that even mean?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am going to leave this thread with this. I think people will be saved from many different denominations. I am sure there will be many, many God loving Catholics that will be saved. We are only judged based on our knowledge and God knows our hearts. Jesus is coming soon and I hope to see all of you there. God bless.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,737.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's just it; they are NOT clear words of Scripture.

The text says "whoever fails to discern the body of the Lord". It does not say "whoever fails to discern the body of the Lord, that is to say whoever does not believe X about the bread and wine" - THAT would be clear and unambiguous.
From the context it seems clear that "body of the Lord" means other believers; i.e the body of Christ. Read the passage and consider what Paul is saying - he is criticising believers who go to the Lord's Supper, eat/drink what they want to satisfy their own needs and blow anybody else. Paul doesn't talk at all about belief or what it is that we should discern about the body and blood of Christ. He does not say that the bread and wine are about X and we all have to believe that or we can't receive it.
The church teaches that; Paul didn't, neither did Jesus.

So have you got any answer for my points about reading the passage in context, and what the preceding verses say?

I know what reading Scripture in context means. I know what Paul says in the verses before the one that you quoted - and I have heard nothing from you to answer that.
Maybe you're avoiding it because it doesn't suit your argument?
Exactly my point; reason trumps faith every time. What does Scripture say about the wisdom of men?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly my point; reason trumps faith every time. What does Scripture say about the wisdom of men?

It's not reason; it's reading the Bible in context so that you properly understand it and get the full picture, rather than yanking one verse out of context to prove, or formulate, a doctrine/practice.

What does Scripture say about studying to show yourself approved by God and correctly handling the word of truth, 2 Timothy 2:15?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,737.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's not reason; it's reading the Bible in context so that you properly understand it and get the full picture, rather than yanking one verse out of context to prove, or formulate, a doctrine/practice.

What does Scripture say about studying to show yourself approved by God and correctly handling the word of truth, 2 Timothy 2:15?
OK.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, I'm saying how would I know. I'm not questioning what you said. I don't know if anyone has Jesus. I think I have Him, and I'm working that out.
One and the same thing, so it's either both or neither. See, the Church existed before the Bible, put the Bible together and had the authority, given by Jesus, and the historical context to interpret what was meant.
I mostly agree here, though most Catholics don't have the authority to publicly interpret Scripture.
I know, and agree.
No, we say that Jesus said so. Because he did.
I don't know where that came from. No I'm not a Gnostic.
The beginning of Revelation does so beautifully.
From the writing we have, a presbyter did.
Yeah we do know because our Church has the history to back it up. The Christian Church was outlawed, and the Church leaders were careful about educating new joiners, keeping them separated until they confessed their true faith by oath. Many died because they became Christian.
I don't think the Church is united now.
And it's not the Lord who denies us this chance of fellowship.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One and the same thing, so it's either both or neither.

The Catholic church is the same as the Lord?
Not in the slightest.

The Catholic church did not die for our sins on the cross, was not raised from the dead, did not ascend to the Father nor send the Spirit of God.
It was the Holy Spirit who inspired Scripture to be written and who interprets it to us. Jesus said that the Spirit would take what was his (Jesus') and give it to the 12 disciples, John 16:14. Some of these disciples wrote the Gospels.
It was Jesus, our Lord, who said "I am the Bread of life", "I am the true Vine" and "this is my blood, shed for the forgiveness of sins."
It was Jesus who celebrated a final Passover meal with his disciples before his crucifixion, and it was he who told us to do this in memory of him. All of this was from the Lord, not the Catholic church.

See, the Church existed before the Bible, put the Bible together and had the authority, given by Jesus, and the historical context to interpret what was meant.

Jesus told his disciples that the Spirit would remind them of everything that he had said - because they would be the ones to proclaim the Gospel and teach the faith to new believers. After the resurrection Jesus stayed on earth for 40 days before he ascended to the Father and taught his disciples, Acts of the Apostles 1:2-3.
Some of the Gospels were written by these disciples; directly, or indirectly (Mark.)
It is the Holy Spirit who inspired these Gospels, and Paul's epistles, to be written and it is He who interprets, and applies, God's word to us.
When the NT was being compiled the criteria for inclusion was the books that were by Apostles, by close friends/disciples of the apostles, or were true to apostolic teaching. Some books, like the Gospels of Peter and Thomas, did not make it into the canon.
And the Apostles were still Jews; Jews who believed that the Messiah had come - they weren't Catholics.

.No, we say that Jesus said so. Because he did.

No he didn't.
If he had said "on PETER I will build my church", that would be clear and unambiguous. Although I have asked what it means in practice to have a church built on Peter and received no reply.

Jesus said "On this ROCK I will build my church".
Catholics say, "oh, he said, 'you are Peter and on this rock I will build my church'; so the church is built on Peter."
Others say , "yes he said that, but the Rock on which the church is built is Peter's declaration, revealed to him by God, that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God."
A church that is built on a human, whatever that means, will be fallible, finite and eventually fail. In this case, Peter denied Jesus - not only failed to admit that he was a disciple, but swore with an oath that he did not know what the servant girl was talking about. I am certain that had anyone said to Peter after Pentecost, "the church is built on you" he would have strongly denied it and pointed people to Jesus. Because that's what he did after the resurrection; he pointed people to Jesus.
A church that is founded by, and built on, the Son of God, however, cannot ultimately fail, even if the devil does his best to inflict wounds along the way.

Jesus is the foundation of the church and a living stone - Peter said that.

I don't know where that came from. No I'm not a Gnostic.

You said:
Because historically, what is meant by what was written was known by the original Church, and then changed 1500 years later.

That implies that either the early church knew something about the Lord's Supper but chose not to write it down so it is not in the NT, or what was written in the NT about the Lord's Supper wasn't what happened, and that 1500 years later someone changed Scripture to reflect what the apostles knew.

Yeah we do know because our Church has the history to back it up.

Claiming that you, or a group, has access to special knowledge that interprets Scripture and which no one else has, sounds just like Gnosticism to me.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic church is the same as the Lord?
Not in the slightest.

The Catholic church did not die for our sins on the cross, was not raised from the dead, did not ascend to the Father nor send the Spirit of God.
It was the Holy Spirit who inspired Scripture to be written and who interprets it to us. Jesus said that the Spirit would take what was his (Jesus') and give it to the 12 disciples, John 16:14. Some of these disciples wrote the Gospels.
It was Jesus, our Lord, who said "I am the Bread of life", "I am the true Vine" and "this is my blood, shed for the forgiveness of sins."
It was Jesus who celebrated a final Passover meal with his disciples before his crucifixion, and it was he who told us to do this in memory of him. All of this was from the Lord, not the Catholic church.

Jesus told his disciples that the Spirit would remind them of everything that he had said - because they would be the ones to proclaim the Gospel and teach the faith to new believers. After the resurrection Jesus stayed on earth for 40 days before he ascended to the Father and taught his disciples, Acts of the Apostles 1:2-3.
Some of the Gospels were written by these disciples; directly, or indirectly (Mark.)
It is the Holy Spirit who inspired these Gospels, and Paul's epistles, to be written and it is He who interprets, and applies, God's word to us.
When the NT was being compiled the criteria for inclusion was the books that were by Apostles, by close friends/disciples of the apostles, or were true to apostolic teaching. Some books, like the Gospels of Peter and Thomas, did not make it into the canon.
And the Apostles were still Jews; Jews who believed that the Messiah had come - they weren't Catholics.

No he didn't.
If he had said "on PETER I will build my church", that would be clear and unambiguous. Although I have asked what it means in practice to have a church built on Peter and received no reply.

Jesus said "On this ROCK I will build my church".
Catholics say, "oh, he said, 'you are Peter and on this rock I will build my church'; so the church is built on Peter."
Others say , "yes he said that, but the Rock on which the church is built is Peter's declaration, revealed to him by God, that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God."
A church that is built on a human, whatever that means, will be fallible, finite and eventually fail. In this case, Peter denied Jesus - not only failed to admit that he was a disciple, but swore with an oath that he did not know what the servant girl was talking about. I am certain that had anyone said to Peter after Pentecost, "the church is built on you" he would have strongly denied it and pointed people to Jesus. Because that's what he did after the resurrection; he pointed people to Jesus.
A church that is founded by, and built on, the Son of God, however, cannot ultimately fail, even if the devil does his best to inflict wounds along the way.

Jesus is the foundation of the church and a living stone - Peter said that.

You said:

That implies that either the early church knew something about the Lord's Supper but chose not to write it down so it is not in the NT, or what was written in the NT about the Lord's Supper wasn't what happened, and that 1500 years later someone changed Scripture to reflect what the apostles knew.

Claiming that you, or a group, has access to special knowledge that interprets Scripture and which no one else has, sounds just like Gnosticism to me.
Jesus could have said "I am Jesus and upon your declaration of your faith I will build my Church" but instead renamed Simon and really said "You are Rock (Peter) and upon this Rock I will build My Church." After this important renaming Jesus, in words paralleling Isaiah 22, gave Rock the keys to the kingdom.
In Isaiah the king gives the keys of the kingdom to his prime minister as a sign of authority. Also in Isaiah, when the office of prime minister becomes vacant a new prime minister is chosen. Does it seem to you like only a coincidence that Jesus just happened to rename Simon as Rock in the very same sentence?

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,414.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus could have said "I am Jesus and upon your declaration of your faith I will build my Church" but instead renamed Simon and really said "You are Rock (Peter) and upon this Rock I will build My Church." After this important renaming Jesus, in words paralleling Isaiah 22, gave Rock the keys to the kingdom.
In Isaiah the king gives the keys of the kingdom to his prime minister as a sign of authority. Also in Isaiah, when the office of prime minister becomes vacant a new prime minister is chosen. Does it seem like only a coincidence that Jesus just happened to rename Simon as Rock in the very same sentence?
This is one aspect that many anti Pope people miss. I would encourage everyone to look through the Bible and see what it meant and under what circumstances God chose to rename someone.

I could give you the list, but what fun would that be.

Upvote 0