What if Jesus comes tomorrow and it turns out these scriptures mean exactly as they read?

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Another poster once asked: What if Jesus comes tomorrow and it turns out these scriptures mean exactly as they read?

I agree. What if John 6 means exactly what it says? What if Matthew 16:18-20 means exactly what it says, and makes Peter the head of the apostles, and thus the entire Church, and his successors the same?

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another poster once asked: What if Jesus comes tomorrow and it turns out these scriptures mean exactly as they read?

I agree. What if John 6 means exactly what it says? What if Matthew 16:18-20 means exactly what it says, and makes Peter the head of the apostles, and thus the entire Church, and his successors the same?
They do mean exactly as they read. The problem is with us and our interpretations.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

We're all expected to do the best we can with whatever we're given. We all possess varying degrees of knowledge, of understanding, of ignorance; arguably no individual's theology is perfect. So God will judge us all based on what we know, and what we did with what we know.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I think the reading skills of whoever invented the theology of Peter, the rock is questionable at best.

To get Peter, the rock out of Matthew 16:18-20, you basically need to ignore what is said - so what would happen is you might get scolded for not listening.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

If it's exactly as it read then there are events that happen before Jesus returns and .. they wouldn't happen in under 24h.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You seem to be asking, "What if the Roman Catholic church is the true church?" Is that right? If so, I'm sure God is gracious to sinners, even Catholics. In other words, I don't think anything changes.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Then you get to spend eternity saying, "I told you so!" to anyone who will listen?

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What if Matthew 16:18-20 means exactly what it says, and makes Peter the head of the apostles, and thus the entire Church, and his successors the same?
Matthew 16:18-20 doesn't say anything about successors.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You seem to be asking, "What if the Roman Catholic church is the true church?" Is that right? If so, I'm sure God is gracious to sinners, even Catholics. In other words, I don't think anything changes.

The ROMAN Catholic Church (key operative word Roman) isn't really all that much like the church that the Apostles set up to begin with.
It has been utterly infiltrated with pagan practices, worshiping Mary, idolatry, unbiblical doctrines, and replacement theology.
The undoing of the Catholic Church was when the Roman Emperor got involved in it.
Catholics can get saved in spite of all of this.
But it is a far cry to say the modern Catholic Church is what Jesus had in mind.
Even a lot of Catholics despise at least Vatican II.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I get why you bring up John 6 but if John 6 means exactly as it reads, there's no way for a person the Father gives to the Son to lose their salvation. Last I checked "From all the Father has given me I lose nothing" means something a little different than the Catholics interpret it as.

You're also correct that if John 6 means exactly what it reads than "Unless we eat Christ's flesh we will die." I just, brought up something that I thought might be interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
John 6: Two guiding Christian principles. Faith and the word of God.
  • Bread: Jesus was pointing to the word of God.
    • The bread of life is the word of God.
    • Jesus is the word made flesh.
    • Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
    • Amos 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord.
  • Blood: Jesus was pointing to faith in the work of the cross.
    • His blood is eternal life.
    • Drink his blood, ye have not life in yourselves.
    • Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
    • Revelation 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
Matthew 16:18-20: The start of the church.
  • To say that any church is infallible simply because it can be traced back to Peter is to dismiss the work of Jesus throughout church history (all denominations).
  • Remember, the Catholic church tried to keep the Bible from the hands of the people, going to great lengths, persecuting and killing upwards of 50 million Christians in the process. Is this the church authority Jesus gave to Peter?
  • God's work in history disproves the idea of a one true church. Revelation calls her the remnant. Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
History shows that God works through His people, to further His will in this world. Denomination, origin? These are meaningless. God chooses people who will do His work and further His cause.

In the book of Revelation, Jesus speaks to seven churches. These seven churches were types of the church of God throughout earth's history, from the crucifixion to the second coming. God's church is not a denomination, it's a people who have faith and keep His commandments. Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

These are just a few examples. There are many more. God has a church, but it's not a denomination, it's people of all denominations who meet the requirements as set forth by Jesus Himself. The faith of Jesus and the keeping of His word. Exactly what John 6 points to. Exactly what Revelation points to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"MY CHURCH", yes Jesus Christ of Nazareth meant it. His Church belongs to Him only. No one man, no successions of men , no denomination and no congregation. It belongs to Him and anyone who believes in Him will be regenerated, recieve His Holy Spirit and join His Body in The Kingdom of God where He is King. This is the Gospel. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Peter the head of the apostles, and thus the entire Church, and his successors the same?
What this means to God is what matters.

God's word says 1 Timothy 3:1-10 > how our Apostle Paul says a person needs to be qualified, so the person can "take care of the church of God". Those who disobey this are rejecting God's apostolic succession; so they are not part of this succession.

Paul is very clear how we are not to follow those who disobey God's word. Leaders who are obedient obey the standards of 1 Timothy 3:1-10. But there are people who would have us make assumptions which are not blessed.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

This is what will happen, but if Jesus comes tomorrow, and he might, we had all better start repenting faster. My interpretation of those verses is the same as that of the Orthodox and similar to that of the Roman Catholics, and thus I suggest prayer, repentance, confession and communion, especially in Lent. I would lament that the Roman model of confession makes it less popular since Rome requires a penance, whereas in the Orthodox church it is at the discretion of the confessor, which strikes me as a better model. Also the Anglican approach of general confession works for me, although I wish the language in their confiteor was even more penitential in character. One of only a few changes I would make to the BCP that I haven’t seen even in the hardcore Anglo Catholic and Western Rite Orthodox adaptations.

But really, in this season of Lent especially, go to church, repent of your sins, and partake of the body and blood of Christ which was shed for you on the Cross, so that you can celebrate His resurrection with increased confidence that when He returns, you will, like the Good Thief, dine with him in paradise.

• Agree
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This is what will happen, but if Jesus comes tomorrow, and he might, we had all better start repenting faster. My interpretation of those verses is the same as that of the Orthodox and similar to that of the Roman Catholics, and thus I suggest prayer, repentance, confession and communion, especially in Lent. I would lament that the Roman model of confession makes it less popular since Rome requires a penance, whereas in the Orthodox church it is at the discretion of the confessor, which strikes me as a better model. Also the Anglican approach of general confession works for me, although I wish the language in their confiteor was even more penitential in character. One of only a few changes I would make to the BCP that I haven’t seen even in the hardcore Anglo Catholic and Western Rite Orthodox adaptations.

But really, in this season of Lent especially, go to church, repent of your sins, confess, and partake of the body and blood of Christ which was shed for you on the Cross, so that you can celebrate His resurrection with increased confidence that when He returns, you will, like the Good Thief, dine with him in paradise.

By the way @Root of Jesse that second paragraph of my reply to you was homiletically useful, so feel free to share it with any less competent preachers among the priests in your area; I release it into the public domain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What if it does?
If Peter is head of the church, how does that affect the Gospel?

And what if Jesus were to return tomorrow and ask church leaders, "why did you make my final meal with my disciples into something that was so divisive, and then deny it to others?"
What if, in fact, the verses don't mean what Catholics have told us that they mean - and it also turns out that they are not the only true Christians in the church?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What if it does?

And what if Jesus were to return tomorrow and ask church leaders, "why did you make my final meal with my disciples into something that was so divisive, and then deny it to others?"
What if, in fact, the verses don't mean what Catholics have told us that they mean - and it also turns out that they are not the only true Christians in the church?
What's funny is how disciples scattered at Jesus' statement. And you put those thoughts in Jesus mouth.? Riot, that.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What if it does?

Well never said we are the only true Christians. Only that we have the entire faith, others have subsets.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0