What Happens When The Vaccinated No Longer Wear Masks?

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
. So far there seem to be no variants capable of completely escaping the vaccines.

Both Pfizer and Moderna are constantly testing their vaccines against each new variant. If necessary, boosters will be given to all of us in a very short time period. The process is there.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's pretty much the same niche as those that have immunity from previous infection with Covid. There's no getting around that, but vaccines can decrease the pool of viruses able to mutate fairly quickly, and with much less drastic consequences. So far there seem to be no variants capable of completely escaping the vaccines.
Fingers crossed! :D

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
they aren't people dont trust the government or scientist its based on fear of the mark or just plain ignorance

I guess my not wanting to catch the virus overroad all that.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The point was that some keep calling those people "science deniers" who don't want to wear a mask, or get the shot because they're afraid of what information about the vaccines might be getting withheld that could cause injury or death to a person who abides by the advice or guidelines the government puts out. Now different parts of government are divided on what to do. So "science" isn't even being followed by the government.

FWIW, I got the Johnson and Johnson shot this morning. I'm getting more fatigued as the day goes on, which is supposedly one of the side effects. If you don't hear from me again in a couple days, it means I dropped dead. (Don't anyone get their hopes up). ;)

....and the point I was originally making was the lack of trust in the government. Good to see you still have some by trusting the JJ vaccine. btw, I had a mild fever for a few hours after Pfizer #2

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
....and the point I was originally making was the lack of trust in the government. Good to see you still have some by trusting the JJ vaccine. btw, I had a mild fever for a few hours after Pfizer #2

The deniers have a lack of trust in the US government, US sceintists, other governments and scientists throughout the world. For them, there4 is a worldwide conspiracy to get them vaccinated and put trackers in their blood.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I wouldn't say I "trust" the JJ vaccine. I originally heard that it had a 93% effectiveness versus 95% for the others. That's what the people giving the shots told me. Then I discovered that it's really only 66.3%. So now my chances of not getting Covid are a little over half of if I hadn't gotten the shot:

"The J&J/Janssen vaccine was 66.3% effective in clinical trials (efficacy) at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 illness in people who had no evidence of prior infection 2 weeks after receiving the vaccine. "
Information about the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.

Looks like I have to keep up the mask and social distancing thing after all.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The deniers have a lack of trust in the US government, US sceintists, other governments and scientists throughout the world. For them, there4 is a worldwide conspiracy to get them vaccinated and put trackers in their blood.

When you read the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights, does it look to you as if the founding fathers had a trust in what the U.S. government could eventually become?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't say I "trust" the JJ vaccine. I originally heard that it had a 93% effectiveness versus 95% for the others. That's what the people giving the shots told me. Then I discovered that it's really only 66.3%. So now my chances of not getting Covid are a little over half of if I hadn't gotten the shot:

"The J&J/Janssen vaccine was 66.3% effective in clinical trials (efficacy) at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 illness in people who had no evidence of prior infection 2 weeks after receiving the vaccine. "
Information about the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine.

Looks like I have to keep up the mask and social distancing thing after all.

The 93% was the effectiveness against serious illness, hospitalization and/or death.

If you concerned, try to get another vaccination. I certainly am glad that I got the Pfizer. Also, the J&J vaccine is more difficult to adapt for new variants (both Pfizer and Moderna can be very easily adapted).
All the vaccines are effective against current variants in the US.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The 93% was the effectiveness against serious illness, hospitalization and/or death.

If you concerned, try to get another vaccination. I certainly am glad that I got the Pfizer. Also, the J&J vaccine is more difficult to adapt for new variants (both Pfizer and Moderna can be very easily adapted).
All the vaccines are effective against current variants in the US.

They told me it was 100% effective against hospitalization and/or death, and that if I got sick, it would be either mild or asymptomatic.
I wasn't keen on getting this first shot, so I won't be getting more (which is not advised anyway). The fact that they tell people what they want to hear is more reason not to trust them.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They told me it was 100% effective against hospitalization and/or death, and that if I got sick, it would be either mild or asymptomatic.
I wasn't keen on getting this first shot, so I won't be getting more (which is not advised anyway). The fact that they tell people what they want to hear is more reason not to trust them.

92% effectiveness against serious disease a LOT better than zero.
Health workers (or whomever) should not be mispresenting effectiveness. However, each one of us can do the research and be accountable for our decisions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

"They"?

Pfizer and Moderna have been 100% effective (really 99.9999%). J&J is only 93%. I knew that the day it was approved. It was no secret. Well, perhaps we get our news from different sources. I watch the announcements from the CDC and the administration, as well as CNN. The issue you raise was discussed many, many times.

My personal conclusion is that the J&J vaccine has its place in the mix. For many, two vaccines is difficult. For others, the lack of freezer requirements for J&J is a big plus. J&J is good when vans are used with no follow-up, and less tracking required.

Apparently, you would prefer the much higher probability of sickness that is the case with the unvaccinated.
================
The flu vaccine which has probably saved hundred of thousands of lives. It is about 60% effective. And yes, those who have the vaccine have much milder cases. But some still die, just not in the percentages of the unvaccinated. Do I take my flu shot? Sure I do. And perhaps, I will consider wearing a mask indoors in the Fall as they do in Asia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
92% effectiveness against serious disease a LOT better than zero.
Health workers (or whomever) should not be mispresenting effectiveness. However, each one of us can do the research and be accountable for our decisions.

I had already done my research. Discovering that many people getting vaccines ended up dying is what made me hesitant. Finding out that they aren't nearly as effective as advertised is a further let down.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I had already done my research. Discovering that many people getting vaccines ended up dying is what made me hesitant. Finding out that they aren't nearly as effective as advertised is a further let down.

88 deaths in 8 million doses.

I am surprised that you research showed 100% effectiveness. I have never seen such a number for J&J.

Safety Monitoring of the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine — United States, March–April 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)
===========
No vaccine is 100% without risk. As with anything else in life, we compare risks. What is the risk if one isn't vaccinated? What is the probability of serious injury or death for myself and those that I am in regular contact with?

100% safety is not a requirement for any of the vaccines that we should take, as children and as adults.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
88 deaths in 8 million doses.

I am surprised that you research showed 100% effectiveness. I have never seen such a number for J&J.

Safety Monitoring of the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine — United States, March–April 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov)
===========
No vaccine is 100% without risk. As with anything else in life, we compare risks. What is the risk if one isn't vaccinated? What is the probability of serious injury or death for myself and those that I am in regular contact with?

100% safety is not a requirement for any of the vaccines that we should take, as children and as adults.

What they told me was that the J&J vaccine had a 93% effectiveness in preventing people from getting the virus, and a 100% rate of preventing those who get the virus from getting sick enough to be hospitalized or die. What I found out later is that it's actually 66.3% effective in preventing the virus, and 93% effective in keeping infected people from being in the hospital or dying.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What they told me was that the J&J vaccine had a 93% effectiveness in preventing people from getting the virus, and a 100% rate of preventing those who get the virus from getting sick enough to be hospitalized or die. What I found out later is that it's actually 66.3% effective in preventing the virus, and 93% effective in keeping infected people from being in the hospital or dying.

who is "they"

The site I posted was from the CDC.

When J&J was being approved, I was glad that I got a vaccine with better results. The numbers were widely discussed from at least the week before the CDC approval.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
who is "they"

The site I posted was from the CDC.

When J&J was being approved, I was glad that I got a vaccine with better results. The numbers were widely discussed from at least the week before the CDC approval.

Why do you keep asking who "they" is? It's the people administering the shots when I went to get one. Also, you said, "When J&J was being approved". I hate to break it to you, but NO vaccine has been approved. It even says so in the paperwork I was given after I got the shot. Here's a portion of it that I took a snapshot of for you:
SDC12746.JPG

This is one of the main reasons I was hesitant. Emergency authorization use does not mean FDA approved.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do you keep asking who "they" is? It's the people administering the shots when I went to get one. Also, you said, "When J&J was being approved". I hate to break it to you, but NO vaccine has been approved. It even says so in the paperwork I was given after I got the shot. Here's a portion of it that I took a snapshot of for you:
View attachment 299257

This is one of the main reasons I was hesitant. Emergency authorization use does not mean FDA approved.

OK.

I meant no disrespect.

I was merely asking who gave you the misinformation about J&J. At the time, I was watching daily briefings and also at least an hour of news coverage a day. I never saw any 100% claims. I certainly do recall experts strongly recommending J&J. It was clear, at least to me, that the results were stronger with Pfizer and Moderna.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
OK.

I meant no disrespect.

I was merely asking who gave you the misinformation about J&J. At the time, I was watching daily briefings and also at least an hour of news coverage a day. I never saw any 100% claims. I certainly do recall experts strongly recommending J&J. It was clear, at least to me, that the results were stronger with Pfizer and Moderna.

I found the 100% claim on another one of the papers the shot administrators gave me. Here's a pic of that. The claim is just below the middle of the page after "how effective is this vaccine":
SDC12747.JPG

Upvote 0