✟153.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

I am UMC, but grew up in the Church of the Nazarene. Doctrinally, Nazarenes are very much like UMC, i.e., Wesleyan Holiness. If I recall, when the Nazarene church broke from the Methodist it was in regards to what they perceived to be a lack of emphasis by the Methodists on sanctification. Methodist churches tend to be more liberal -- though that varies largely by region, e.g., a lot of southern Methodist churches are quite conservative. Methodism has traditionally had more emphasis on the social gospel than the Nazarenes, though my impression is that the Nazarenes have become much more active in that regard.

My personal observation is in the difference in church polity. Nazarenes in the individual churches vote to hire or retain their local ministers (possibly with the guidance of the district superintendant) whereas the bishop appoints ministers in the UMC. The bishop typically works with the local church's Pastor-Parish Relations committee in the selection of new ministers or in the resolution of problems.

In reality, the two churches get along quite well. My wife's uncle worked for several years in the UMC's headquarters in Nashville. He said that they frequently met with the Nazarene leaders either in Nashville or at the Nazarene headquarters in Kansas City, MO.

An interesting note: This morning our UMC service included performances by a teen group from one of the Nazarene churches.

-T

Upvote 0

greenonion

a child of God
May 19, 2005
U.S.A
✟547.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As a member of a Nazarene church (was UMC 21 years) this is what I believe- it is from the Nazarene website: http://www.nazarene.org/gensec/we_believe.html

These are the beliefs Nazarenes hold to be true. They are common to Christians world–wide:

Eight Agreed Statements Extended Version
Articles of Faith
We believe in one God-the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

We believe that the Old and New Testament Scriptures, given by plenary inspiration, contain all truth necessary to faith and Christian living.

We believe that man is born with a fallen nature, and is, therefore, inclined to evil, and that continually.

We believe that the finally impenitent are hopelessly and eternally lost.

We believe that the atonement through Jesus Christ is for the whole human race; and that whosoever repents and believes on the Lord Jesus Christ is justified and regenerated and saved from the dominion of sin.

We believe that believers are to be sanctified wholly, subsequent to regeneration, through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

We believe that the Holy Spirit bears witness to the new birth, and also to the entire sanctification of believers.

We believe that our Lord will return, the dead will be raised, and the final judgment will take place.

The Nazarene worship services I have been to are not liturgical- they are pretty much divided into praise and worship and preaching. Also with the baptism there is a difference. In the Nazarene churches there is believers baptism, as opposed to infant baptism. There are a lot of baby dedications, though...

Upvote 0
L

LovesTheLord

I have a good many Nazarene relatives. The women always wear skirts/dresses and very minimal if any makeup and jewelry, but they cut their hair. I also see this outside of my family. Is this common among a lot of Nazarenes? (I live in the southern U.S.) One of my aunts doesn't even wear a watch! I'm not making fun or anything...I'm actually Pentecostal and dress the part as well. Just wondering because the Nazarene website didn't mention anything about this besides general holiness.

Upvote 0

greenonion

a child of God
May 19, 2005
U.S.A
✟547.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LovesTheLord said:
I have a good many Nazarene relatives. The women always wear skirts/dresses and very minimal if any makeup and jewelry, but they cut their hair. I also see this outside of my family. Is this common among a lot of Nazarenes? (I live in the southern U.S.) One of my aunts doesn't even wear a watch! I'm not making fun or anything...I'm actually Pentecostal and dress the part as well. Just wondering because the Nazarene website didn't mention anything about this besides general holiness.

None of the Nazarenes I know, or have known, dress like this. In fact, the female pastors of my church even wear pants! :)

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wondering if the MEthodists, Nazarenes and Wesleyans ALL believe in entire sanctification?? How much is it preached about? Is it a major belief that is taken very seriously these days in the church? Do people stop sinning and completely follow God in total obedience to him?

Upvote 0

Ron_the_Nazarene

Jul 19, 2005
Bremerton, WA ... for now
✟373.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... pretty much divided into praise and worship and preaching.

You'll find quite alot of diversity in the song services. At my home church, we're very much a southern gospel type of church, but have recently added some contemporary music. Prior to that, we were mostly hymns. I've been to some Nazarene churches that are entirely contemporary ... others are entirely hymns. Alot of it, I believe, has to do with the median age of the attenders.
... believers baptism, as opposed to infant baptism.
The Nazarene doctrine includes infant baptism, but only as a sign that the parents are agreeing to raise the child in God's word, and not as a saving act of faith. The child will still need to decide later in life when he/she should be baptised under their own cognizance. As the poster commented, the majority of parents opt for dedications, vice baptisms.

The concept of Entire Sanctification lies at the heart of the Nazarene Doctrine. The belief is, that sanctification is a second act of God where the believer gives his/her life over to God in it's entirety.

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
karenmarie said:
Wondering if the MEthodists, Nazarenes and Wesleyans ALL believe in entire sanctification?? How much is it preached about? Is it a major belief that is taken very seriously these days in the church? Do people stop sinning and completely follow God in total obedience to him?
What is Entire Sanctification?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ron_the_Nazarene

Jul 19, 2005
✟373.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Ron_the_Nazarene

Jul 19, 2005
✟373.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look at it like this ....

Would you (or your pastor) allow your church to be used for a Gangsta-Rap or Rock concert? Or as a meeting place for Pagans, Wiccans, etc. Probably not ... because the building has been sanctified (set apart) as a place where God will be served. The building, although temporal, stands as a testimony to the holiness and awesome power of God. All who see the building knows immediately that there's something different about it. It doesn't look (act, talk, etc) like the other buildings they've experienced.

Now take the same concept and apply it to the believer. There are many Christians who still feel compelled to hang on to pieces of this earth's pavement. Although they might be saved, they haven't come to a place where they've set their lives apart from the lives of the world around them. Sanctification is that act of God where He takes hold of your heart and makes you want to glorify him with your life, possessions, etc.

I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ron_the_Nazarene said:
Look at it like this ....

Would you (or your pastor) allow your church to be used for a Gangsta-Rap or Rock concert? Or as a meeting place for Pagans, Wiccans, etc. Probably not ... because the building has been sanctified (set apart) as a place where God will be served. The building, although temporal, stands as a testimony to the holiness and awesome power of God. All who see the building knows immediately that there's something different about it. It doesn't look (act, talk, etc) like the other buildings they've experienced.

Now take the same concept and apply it to the believer. There are many Christians who still feel compelled to hang on to pieces of this earth's pavement. Although they might be saved, they haven't come to a place where they've set their lives apart from the lives of the world around them. Sanctification is that act of God where He takes hold of your heart and makes you want to glorify him with your life, possessions, etc.

I hope that makes sense.

If it was a Christian gangsta-rap concert. ;) So, basically entire sanctification is where the person allows God to be God over everything in their life?

Upvote 0

Ron_the_Nazarene

Jul 19, 2005
✟373.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God's still working with me on accepting "Gangsta" rap --- I'm leery of anything that glorifies the world and Gangsta Rap does just that.

More so, entire sanctification comes from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Just as you realized a need to accept Christ, when you're sanctified, you realize that God wants you to live a part from this world ... to reject it's values system (i.e. the materialism of Rap, the self-serving glory of Rock, etc) and start living a life that visibly glorifies God.

In short .... people should be coming to you, asking you why you're different from everyone else, vice you going to people trying to convince them that you're different. It starts, often, in our choices of entertainment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.