Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1 Kings 19:11-13
Elijah Meets God at Horeb
He said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.’ Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. Then there came a voice to him that said, ‘What are you doing here, Elijah?’​

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.

The problem that you will have is that all voices in the Spirit realm, sound, feel the same. The reason is in my opinion, that our spirit is a kind of communicator, like in the natural, a phone is one type, a computer is another. Any one can send us an email, and every email will look the same, but the content will differ. With the spirit, visions, voice, impressions, all feel identical. We can feel comfort, or discomfort in our spirit, these are ways God communicates his will to us, but demons can use the same communicator, and send mixed messages.

Really in the end it comes down to discerning the content of the message, is the message in line with scripture, and will it produce good fruit or bad.

Never put 100% trust in dreams, visions, or voices, it can be the devil as easily as God.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.

Hi W2L, I agree with the person who said "don't give up". I know pastors who didn't get tongues in the time they gave God and then decided that since they didn't get tongues by their deadline that tongues didn't exist and there are plenty of unbelieving books that you can buy to sell you that lie. That sounds like a spoiled child more than a man of God, doesn't it?

I would also say, just focus on diligently seeking God. Not everyone who claims something or brags about what God does in them is really of God. You aren't in a competition with others. God may use them differently, they may be in a different spot in their walk or they may have a different current task and therefore different needs than you. The Holy Spirit knows what we need.

When and if God needs to speak to you, if you have been diligently seeking Him, you will know His voice and it will be consistent with Scripture and frankly will usually give you guidance that is opposite of what you want to do or something you wouldn't have considered (okay to laugh, but that has been my experience often).

The voice can come in a lot of forms from a picture you see inside your head, to a word you see internally, to something you hear internally, to a confirmation that comes from many different places--including believers, an almost silent voice that tells you where to go in the Bible next, etc. The Holy Spirit speaks in many ways and I believe it is individualized to the person, just like he uses people differently, and gives people different gifts to benefit the Body of Christ.

If you are genuinely diligently seeking God and He doesn't speak to you, it doesn't mean God loves you any less. It may actually mean you are being led in a way that others can't be, so He doesn't need to speak to you in a way that you realize He is speaking to you.

As an example of the diversity of the Holy Spirit and only for that purpose: God has blessed me to be able to pray for people and see some healed. When I pray, I lay hands on them. The incredible diversity of what people feel when God touches them through me speaks to this variety I am telling you about. And, when I pray for people, it is often outside a church, so it isn't trained church responses. Here are the reactions I can remember: some feel heat (like a heating pad--some say downright hot), some feel cold (like ice cubes), I had one guy say he felt like a vacuum cleaner sucking stuff out, I have had people uncontrollably shake, I have had some feel nothing (but were healed), and I have had some feel a peace or something change for them that wasn't even what I was praying for, because God gets to be God and He knows what people really need much better than I do.

So, just diligently seek God and you will have what you need though it may not always look like you want it to, and that is okay--if it is all about God, right?

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God speaks through signs, through thoughts, through images. I've never heard God vocally. If it's God speaking to you it may be like there is a thought popping up in your mind, and you know it wasn't from your own self. Often it's some verse from the Bible as an answer to a prayer or situation you are in. Here comes the important part, to learn to differentiate what is from God and what isn't.

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem that you will have is that all voices in the Spirit realm, sound, feel the same. The reason is in my opinion, that our spirit is a kind of communicator, like in the natural, a phone is one type, a computer is another. Any one can send us an email, and every email will look the same, but the content will differ. With the spirit, visions, voice, impressions, all feel identical. We can feel comfort, or discomfort in our spirit, these are ways God communicates his will to us, but demons can use the same communicator, and send mixed messages.

Really in the end it comes down to discerning the content of the message, is the message in line with scripture, and will it produce good fruit or bad.

Never put 100% trust in dreams, visions, or voices, it can be the devil as easily as God.

It is good advice to make sure the voice lines up with Scripture. But, often the guidance that is given is within the confines of Scripture, but not a topic that Scripture speaks to (like what career to go into or what job to take or where to live or whether to marry a person, or help finding things, etc)

But Jesus didn't say "my voice sounds just like the demons, so be careful." Jesus said: "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them and they follow Me." (John 10:27) And Jesus said: "when He puts forth his own sheep, he goes before them and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger they will not follow, but will flee from him; for they know not the voice of strangers." (John 10:4-5)

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
How does one know if they have been filled?

When I am filled with the holy ghost my whole body goes completely week and I can not stand and I can fell the mighty power of God all around me, all time stops and all you can do is cry as the love you feel is amazing and perfect and complete.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is an area where the imagination runs rampant.

Unless I missed it, and I seriously doubt I would, I've never heard a single direct verbal sound from God. Also, I've never thought one thought that I am positive can directly from God, as in telepathy.

He speaks to me through the Bible, and what my God given common sense makes of it.

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IMHO His voice will be familiar to you...when I hear Him speak to me He sounds like a man with a deep gentle voice. Like a father would speak to their children. There is always a strong sense of authority in His voice and it compels me to want to be obedient to it. He never speaks contrary to His written Word.
I always hear Him internally in my inner thoughts and feel His presence in my spirit. I have never heard Him audibly with my ears but yet I can distinctly hear the alto, the tone...the volume.....the gentleness and the love.
Compare it like this...ever hear a catchy tune or jingle and it gets stuck in your head and you hear it clearly in your mind but not with your ears. You can hear the melody and the words...the voice of the singer...the instruments being played....and it sounds exactly as you heard it with your ears.
His voice sounds different to everyone in tone and infliction and such but it is familiar to them and they know it is Him speaking.
I can tell when the enemy is trying to trick me because there is no authority in what is being said...it is confusing or uncertain...and it is contrary to what the Bible says.

Example: Let's say you are in a situation where you have been presented with an opportunity to work for a company that offers twice your current salary...bonuses....a company car.....the best benefit package ever....and numerous perks...however the company sells numerous products that are harmful to the consumer such as tobacco or alcohol.
You go pray about it and you hear a very enthusiastic "YES....I have given you favor to be chosen for this job."

So here is where knowing His Word comes in.....the Bible says to avoid the appearance of evil...the voice was overly enthusiastic...almost like a kid with a new toy..it wasn't a voice of authority...and though it sounded very similar a trained ear could distinguish a difference and wasn't familiar to you as it normally is....and lastly the product is harmful and causes death and diseases.

So it is easy to learn His voice...and how it sounds will be distinct for you but one that you will trust and be familiar with.....as if you have heard Him speaking to you since you were born...(and truth is you have!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you.
It sounds like "Him" - I mean to say "who He is", as a person. His qualities, nature, personality: graceful, wise, authoritative, loving, righteous, holy etc, and there are others who have those qualities too! .. as you can see, some people have a grace in their speech, a wisdom, authority, love, righteousness and a degree of holiness.. but they are individual people, so there is something of the identity: role and experience in the world, that contributes to the things they might say.

So when we come to know Him, as a personal companion (John 14:7), we recognise that His voice (albeit through the pen of the scribes) is unlike any other. The things He tells us is so personal, things that no human could know. This is how it is said the Word of God is so sharp it discerns the intention of the heart.

So it is over to Him to reveal Himself to you in that way, and meanwhile you are right to keep ask/seek/knocking, and seeking that promise given in John 14:21.

I've been looking at the meaning of Hebrew words, that are expressed through the original pictographs. Basically, every letter in the Hebrew Alphabet has a picture and meaning associated to it, and then the words that are spelled with those letters convey a combined meaning of those letters. It is a feature that doesn't convey through the English language, and it gives much more impact to the scriptures when they are read that way.

So when you look at the expression "Holy Spirit" in the Hebrew, it is "Ruach Qodesh" - that is two words: [The] "spirit" [that is] "holy".

So look at the links on those words, there they are saying that the normal use of the word for spirit in the Hebrew, is to describe a path for the wind, and the word "Qodesh" is to be set apart for a glorious purpose.

But there's more meaning in the words that is conveyed through the pictographs. Check this out:

r (ר Resh) .. Head
v (ו Vav) .. Tent Peg
hh (ח Chet) .. Tent Wall

q (ק Qof) .. Sun on the horizon
d (ד Dalet) .. Door
sh (ש Shin) .. Teeth

.. now when you think about what the writer is trying to convey through saying that the Ruach is head>Peg>Wall, it really makes you think! .. and since we have some idea of what the word means through it's cultural context, we are looking to understand how the head, peg and wall are relevant to the spirit.

When I read the descriptions of those letters that I hyperlinked for you, I came to see that the Ruach is the mind (the thought/intention of the head) being fixed in place by coming out. The tent wall is a way of expressing how a thing is either in or out, while the peg is a thing like an anchor. Furthermore, when it is understood as "wind" or a path for the wind, we know the word is expressing "my mind goes out firmly" .. so that's what I am seeing as the spirit, for now.

Looking at Qodesh is really interesting, because we acknowledge the concept that God has no room for improvement (1 John 1:5), and He is beyond reproach (Proverbs 21:30). Then, look at that first letter: Qof is the sun on the horizon saying that the day is done. It is completed and it will keep going on that way. Dalet is a door, letting things go two ways: in or out, so when someone goes through a door, they are no longer the same, and teeth is to say I eat, I bite, I devour. So my spirit that is Qodesh saying "my expression is complete, you choose to go in or out, and whichever way you go, it will consume you".

Reminds me of Luke 8:18.

Just wanted to share that, and yours was just the perfect thread for that! Hope it is helpful :)

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 1:13-16
13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shines in his strength.

If you want to hear God speak, simply read His word.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Acts, God spoke through Angels and Visions. Sometimes it says "the Holy Spirit said" and this might have been through a prophet. But he speaks only through the written word today, the former ways now ceased. People imagine God speaks to them directly but scripture does not support this.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I came in to mention the "still, small voice" Elijah had to get really quiet to hear, but I see it's already been brought up.

I don't hear an audible voice. I just "know" things I wouldn't have any natural way of knowing. For example, a good friend of mine recently was very ill. I live thousands of miles away, so I was going to mail her a get-well card, when God metaphorically tapped me on the shoulder and said, "No need. It won't get there in time." Sure enough, she passed away the next day. This has happened before.

He speaks in many ways. Although the Bible is not a Magic 8-ball and shouldn't be used as one, sometimes words can leap out at you. I got a phone call from a friend that her husband was being rushed to the emergency department. I didn't have any way to get there before morning, so I got out my Bible and started to pray. Opened the pages randomly and it landed right at Isaiah 1:17 and the words "plead for the widow." I know the words are out of context here, but it told me my friend was about to become a widow, and I should be praying for her especially. Yes, he died moments before I arrived at the hospital the next morning.

Long story short, there is no one way He speaks. It's different for every individual and for every circumstance.

Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How does one know if they have been filled?
I agree with what NNB has said because that has been my experience but we are baptized in God's Spirit when we are properly baptized or prior if God chooses to give it.

A properly baptized person may not feel God's Spirit within them but God is there. God then communicates with his children as he so chooses. It may be an audible voice or a gentle nudge or silent sense of love, etc...

If baptized, God lives within us, all of the time though we may rarely feel him there.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
God speaks to you from others, his believers, So God sounds like his believers.
Given that most believers talk nonsense much of the time, how do you know what these "others" say, is the voice of God and not just their own rambling thoughts?

If as you say, God sound like his believers, how come every word out of your mouth isn't God speaking?

Before you misunderstand me, I do believe the Lord speaks through other believers, its called prophecy, or a word of knowledge etc. -Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
But otherwise, the words of believers in general, are no better than random thoughts, sometimes religious, and on occasion spiritual.

Upvote 0

blackhead

Theologia Crucis
Nov 20, 2018
Florida
✟3,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The voice of God was heard at both Jesus baptism and the transfiguration:

Matthew 3:17
And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Matthew 17:5
While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.

Upvote 0