United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
My points are:

1. I believe an angel or demon must speak in a physically audible voice to a Christian--that is, actually cause air waves--because I don't believe that any other spirit can enter a person in whom the Holy Spirit abides.

2. While the Holy Spirit certain has the ability to create air waves, there is no reason to think He normally does, and He's just as capable of inducing the sensation of having "heard" a "sound" in our brains without there actually having been a movement of air...just as He can create the sensation of having seen a vision without there having actually been a physical object reflecting light waves.

Most people who report having heard the Holy Spirit do not report that they heard Him "audibly," yet that always seems to be the "proof question" of unbelievers.

3. Or he can manifest any combination.

For instance, when the Lord appeared to Saul, Saul reports that he not only physically saw the risen Lord--to the extent of equating what he saw with the experience of the Eleven--but he also heard the Lord speak to him distinctly. Yet, the others with Saul only saw light and heard indistinct sound.

In over 50 years I have heard the Lord speak to me far more times than I can count, and I agree that it is usually an inner voice, or inner revelation or witness.

However, there have been times when it has been very different, and far more external like someone whispering very clear words at my shoulder or in my right ear. (Always the right?)

But why should we be surprised that his voice is audible at times when scripture tells us.-?
Isaiah30v19O people in Zion, inhabitant in Jerusalem, you will weep no longer. He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry; when He hears it, He will answer you. 20Although the Lord has given you bread of privation and water of oppression, He, your Teacher will no longer hide Himself, but your eyes will behold your Teacher. 21Your ears will hear a word behind you, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever you turn to the right or to the left.

The original language indicates that this can only be an audible voice rather than an inner one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In over 50 years I have heard the Lord speak to me far more times than I can count, and I agree that it is usually an inner voice, or inner revelation or witness.

However, there have been times when it has been very different, and far more external like someone whispering very clear words at my shoulder or in my right ear. (Always the right?)

But why should we be surprised that his voice is audible at times when scripture tells us.-?
Isaiah30v19O people in Zion, inhabitant in Jerusalem, you will weep no longer. He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry; when He hears it, He will answer you. 20Although the Lord has given you bread of privation and water of oppression, He, your Teacher will no longer hide Himself, but your eyes will behold your Teacher. 21Your ears will hear a word behind you, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever you turn to the right or to the left.

The original language indicates that this can only be an audible voice rather than an inner one.

In my personal experience, the only time I perceive to have heard a voice caused by air vibrations into my ear (and, yes, the right ear) have been lesser spiritual beings.

I certainly don't deny, as I said, the ability of the Holy Spirit to generate air waves of sound.

But there is also the possibility of the Holy Spirit manipulating brain sensations to make it seem like an audible voice even though it was actually all in the mind. There might be special circumstances in which He'd do that, and there might have been more such circumstances for the OT patriarchs who did not have the gift of the Holy Spirit abiding within them.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
In my personal experience, the only time I perceive to have heard a voice caused by air vibrations into my ear (and, yes, the right ear) have been lesser spiritual beings.
And therein lies a common problem. If demons can speak into a man's ear, but God can't or doesn't, then you have made God less able than Satan.
I certainly don't deny, as I said, the ability of the Holy Spirit to generate air waves of sound.
Then why you are making such a fuss about it?
But there is also the possibility of the Holy Spirit manipulating brain sensations to make it seem like an audible voice even though it was actually all in the mind.
But why would He do that, and even if He was doing that, it comes down to the exact same thing. Stop a moment and think. Despite the words we use, it is with the brain that we hear and understand, not the ear. So if our brain interprets God's voice as a signal from the ear, its a fatuous debate to try and justify or differentiate it.
There might be special circumstances in which He'd do that, and there might have been more such circumstances for the OT patriarchs who did not have the gift of the Holy Spirit abiding within them.
There are no more special circumstances in NT period than the OT. And I certainly don't accept the fallacy that OT saints did not have the Holy Spirit abiding in them. Such an argument is not for this thread, but it has no basis on biblical fact.
How on earth could David have such a deep loving relationship with the Lord if he was unregenerate? How could he have written the scriptures or ruled the nation without the breath of God within him?
But as I said, an interesting debate for another thread?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And therein lies a common problem. If demons can speak into a man's ear, but God can't or doesn't, then you have made God less able than Satan.

That's an absurd way to characterize what I've said.

God can certainly move air waves, as I've said. Why are you asserting that I said He could not?

A voice from outside might be the Holy Spirit--or it might not be. When the Holy Spirit abides within you, though, He does what a demon cannot: Speak to you from directly within you.

Even you testify that's the Holy Spirit's primary method of communicating with you.

You're just trying to start a fight when you and I don't have anything to fight over.

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
That's an absurd way to characterize what I've said.
I am puzzled by your posts! The idea of demons speaking via the ear is continuously used by cessationists, yet you keep making a fuss against God speaking through the ear and come up with all sorts of ways of explaining it away.
God can certainly move air waves, as I've said. Why are you asserting that I said He could not?
Your posts seem to keep explaining it away.
A voice from outside might be the Holy Spirit--or it might not be. When the Holy Spirit abides within you, though, He does what a demon cannot: Speak to you from directly within you.
But demons can and do speak from within Christians who need to be delivered.
Even you testify that's the Holy Spirit's primary method of communicating with you.
Agreed.
You're just trying to start a fight when you and I don't have anything to fight over.
Absolutely not trying to pick a fight. From his medieval background, Francis Drake isn't used to American English sensitivities!:oldthumbsup:
But we agree on most things, -just trying to clarify.
My apologies for any offense.

Upvote 0