Follower of Jesus
Jan 17, 2012
Australia
✟18,006.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm just wondering What you teach your children?

Santa Clause- brings them presents at christmas
Easter Bunny- brings the easter eggs
Tooth Fairy - gives money for loosing teeth
Mother Nature- causes floods, fires, earthquakes, cyclones
Cupid- decides who falls in love with whom

Have I missed any?

I personally DON"T teach my kids any of these, but know many christian families who do....I DON'T want an argument, just want to know Why?:thumbsup:

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My wife and I pretty much ignored these personifications when the kids were little. Christmas and Easter were about Jesus, the others were totally ignored in favor of God and science.

Then the grandparents moved in next door. They actively whipped up the Santa and Easter Bunny stuff, sometimes to extremes. We didn't feel like we needed to attack their influences, but we continued to emphasize the real reasons for these holidays, including church attendance.

Our kids got enthused and involved with the myths, and then they slowly faded away. They have retained the religious significances, so we figure no harm was done. :) And the grandparents had lots of fun!

Upvote 0

OnlyBelieve

Follower of Jesus
Jan 17, 2012
Australia
✟18,006.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your resposnse.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We have been rather firm in our beliefs with our inlaws, every present used to be from "santa" but they have learned (we didn't ask) that our kids appreciate presents, more when they are from someone who loves them and worked hard to provide for them. We tell them, Jesus give Daddy a job, so he can look after you, and he wants you to have nice things. When others give them gifts, we tell them, Jesus is blessing you because you are being good and praying to him.

We believe teaching our kids to pray and seek God is more important, than having them believe in make-believe characters.

We have taught them, about St. Nicholos, Santa represents him but Jesus is the reason, we have christmas. Not presents.

My 5 year old just had her tonsils out and she cried about a week before she went in, because she didn't want the gromets (she's a water baby), so I said, we'll pray, and Jesus will take care of it, if you have to have them, Jesus knows best. Guess What.....when she was in the theatre, the doctor turned to my husband and said "we're not gonna put the gromets in, she won't need them" We Leave it to Jesus, he takes care of it. We told her when she came out, she was so happy...because she is special to Jesus, and he is REAL. He cares about her, and answers her prayers.
When I go shopping, I pray for a car park, but now before we pull in My 4 year old is already praying "lord we pray for a park, under the cover, in Jesus Name" We always get One. Faith Building.
I thank God, for his Truth and sharing it with our little ones.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the kids are little, we do the whole Santa, Easter Bunny thing, but also teach about Jesus. As they start to get a little older (no longer toddlers), we clarify more clear as we feel its more age appropriate to set aside the childishness of those little things. I think its fine as long as they're being taught the true meaning which is always Jesus.

Upvote 0

athenken

Barbary pirates? Or are they?
Nov 30, 2011
West Texas
✟27,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have done the santa thing to a small degree, but never even attempted the whole easter bunny thing. Mostly because we don't actually celebrate easter, we celebrate Resurrection Sunday. That being said, our boys have participated in some easter egg hunts, but we see no point in continuing it as that part of the holiday has its pagan origins.

Upvote 0

Godsgirl79

Oct 12, 2011
Somewhere under the rainbow
✟15,440.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Pretty much all the myths, though I'll admit that I've accidently forgotten to give money from the tooth fairy and felt real bad about that. I also let my kids dress up for halloween and go trick or treating. Early on in my parenthood I came the conclusion that every parent needs to decide for themselves what to do in these areas. And although I respect people who chose not to do things the traditional way out of their own personal convictions, I think that is just it.. it's a matter of personal conviction. I think that those who feel free in Christ to partake in such events are just as spiritual and justified as those who chose not to. I enjoyed all those things as a child and would feel really sad if my children didn't get to do the same. I think it's all in good fun. I enjoy our freedom to do as we believe.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I hope I never lie to my kids about anything whether it's Santa or sex, they deserve to know the truth. I want them to believe God's existance because he's real. No elves, fairies, easter bunnies, good lucks charms, or any of the like will be present in our home to the best of our ability as parents. :) Besides, why would parents want to give the credit of their love and gifts to some imaginary thing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cutie76

Mar 4, 2007
Florida
Visit site
✟8,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We do not teach our children to believe in any of those, as described. We think it is harmful lie to them about the existence of these imaginary entities because they may think we also lied about the existence of God.

We do explain the story of St. Nicholas and that he was a very generous man who helped children, but he is no longer alive.

We also teach them to be respectful of what other families teach their kids on these topics.

Upvote 0

OnlyBelieve

Follower of Jesus
Jan 17, 2012
Australia
✟18,006.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone, I seem to have lost this thread(didn't get the replies), but thanks all for your replies. :)
I also respect that it is a personal choice, each to their own, I just wanted to see where others stood on this matter. So thanks for bringing your views. :)

Upvote 0
P

Publius

I'm just wondering What you teach your children?

Santa Clause- brings them presents at christmas
Easter Bunny- brings the easter eggs
Tooth Fairy - gives money for loosing teeth
Mother Nature- causes floods, fires, earthquakes, cyclones
Cupid- decides who falls in love with whom

Have I missed any?

I personally DON"T teach my kids any of these, but know many christian families who do....I DON'T want an argument, just want to know Why?:thumbsup:

Santa Claus - Based on a real life Christian bishop who gave money and food to the poor (and beat Arius to a bloody pulp, but that's another story) as an expression of God's kindness and mercy on sinners and we celebrate by following his example.

Easter Bunny - We don't do the Easter Bunny, per se, but we do have Easter egg hunts, in which we take hollow eggs and fill them with candy and a clue. When all of the eggs are collected and the clues are put together, it tells the children the Gospel and why Jesus died and how and why He was resurrected.

Tooth Fairy - No.

Mother Nature - This one has a lot of relevance in our house. Go to Youtube and type in "Pleasant Grove 2011 tornados" and you'll see what happened to our hometown about a year ago (hint: it ain't good). We teach our children that natural disasters are the result of the curse placed on creation as a result of sin, but that the good news is that God is sovereign over disasters and that no tornado forms without God's hand on it.

Cupid - No.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I tend to wonder where to draw the line. For should other things not be taught such as fantasy films/Disney? Lord of the Rings? Chronicles of Narnia? The imagination of a child is very big...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Krystina661

- Everyday is a new beginning -
Dec 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟11,676.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
My children, well youngest now still believe in santa clause, tooth fairy, easter bunny ect. My oldest will be 12 this month he of course knows they are make believe. I think its all in fun. It was a very special part of my childhood growing up and wanted to pass those special moments I will never forget down to my children. They also know the real meaning of the holidays we celebrate and that is the most important thing.

Upvote 0