squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No preacher of the Gospel is apart from SOME good information. Were there not SOME facts with everyone, no one would bother to listen.

Rather than pinpoint Piper, I'd say his systematic theology is severely flawed, and the flaws of that underlying system do show up in many ways.

Any reformed theology has legitimate observations, but obviously to any who studies or has a whit of logic there are also some very nasty flaws which should be unacceptable to a caring/loving heart. Glorifying God for predetermining people to eternal torture is a severe theological GAFFE.

Orthodoxy for centuries has held to the POSSIBILITY of Gods Overwhelming Grace for ALL MANKIND over and above their own possibly limited conclusions. Reformed fouls badly at this point.

enjoy!

squint

Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,251.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He stood strong aganist the "NPP".new perspective on Paul.:thumbsup:

Never heard of him, but if he stood against something, I like him. If he stood against something "new", I like him better. I've also never heard of the NPP, but there are so many new things which need to be stood against, the odds are, he probably got it right. :p

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Never heard of him, but if he stood against something, I like him. If he stood against something "new", I like him better. I've also never heard of the NPP, but there are so many new things which need to be stood against, the odds are, he probably got it right. :p

Hi C :wave:

Piper is a Calvinist.I am not though. He is also a tireless defender of justification by faith.The "New Perspective On Paul" is a movement that says when Paul spoke of justification he didn't mean the classical definition of it, but that Paul felt it pertained to Jew an Gentile being reconciled in Covenant. Piper and others feel this chips away at the real meaning of justification. He has debated with NT Wright on this. Wright is a major spokesman for NPP. Piper wrote a book about all this also.

As a Catholic,I am sure my friend Chesterton,would be glad to know,we are NOT justified by works.:p

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
No preacher of the Gospel is apart from SOME good information. Were there not SOME facts with everyone, no one would bother to listen.

Rather than pinpoint Piper, I'd say his systematic theology is severely flawed, and the flaws of that underlying system do show up in many ways.

Any reformed theology has legitimate observations, but obviously to any who studies or has a whit of logic there are also some very nasty flaws which should be unacceptable to a caring/loving heart. Glorifying God for predetermining people to eternal torture is a severe theological GAFFE.

Orthodoxy for centuries has held to the POSSIBILITY of Gods Overwhelming Grace for ALL MANKIND over and above their own possibly limited conclusions. Reformed fouls badly at this point.

enjoy!

squint

good point.

Reactions: squint
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,251.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi C :wave:

Piper is a Calvinist.I am not though. He is also a tireless defender of justification by faith.The "New Perspective On Paul" is a movement that says when Paul spoke of justification he didn't mean the classical definition of it, but that Paul felt it pertained to Jew an Gentile being reconciled in Covenant. Piper and others feel this chips away at the real meaning of justification. He has debated with NT Wright on this. Wright is a major spokesman for NPP. Piper wrote a book about all this also.

As a Catholic,I am sure my friend Chesterton,would be glad to know,we are NOT justified by works.:p

You'll notice I spoke in terms of "odds" and "probability".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums