The Sin of Trigonometry.

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have a Catholic friend who is irritated by the use of computers to process "big data" and develop AI to replace traditional geometry and trigonometry. He thinks it is part of the overall pervasiveness of sin in the world a kind of sin of trigonometry. What do you think?

Last edited:

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a Catholic friend who is irritated by the use of computers to process "big data" and develop AI to replace traditional geometry and trigonometry. He thinks it is part of the overall pervasiveness of sin in the world and kind of sin of trigonometry. What do you think?
There is nothing wrong with Trig or any other mathematics. If there is any sin in that or AI, it is the usage of it. Anyone can use anything in the world for good or evil. Paul wrote that idols were nothing, so that eating meat sacrificed to idols was nothing; however, if you know that someone else is superstitious, then you shouldn't eat it so that their conscience would not be shocked. If someone uses trig or AI for an evil purpose, like manipulating others for personal gain or an evil political agenda, then the sin is in the purpose of what they are using it for. The AI is nothing and is amoral; it is the usage of it that can be good or evil. It depends on what it is used for, that is, the agenda of whoever is using it.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing wrong with Trig or any other mathematics. If there is any sin in that or AI, it is the usage of it. Anyone can use anything in the world for good or evil. Paul wrote that idols were nothing, so that eating meat sacrificed to idols was nothing; however, if you know that someone else is superstitious, then you shouldn't eat it so that their conscience would not be shocked. If someone uses trig or AI for an evil purpose, like manipulating others for personal gain or an evil political agenda, then the sin is in the purpose of what they are using it for. The AI is nothing and is amoral; it is the usage of it that can be good or evil. It depends on what it is used for, that is, the agenda of whoever is using it.
I am - a little humorously - using sin as a pun for the trigonometric function sin[e]as well as the moral and theological usage where sin is to love what is evil.

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am - a little humorously - using sin as a pun for the trigonometric function sin[e]as well as the moral and theological usage where sin is to love what is evil.
I see, that was unclear in what you wrote. It appeared to me that your catholic friend was saying that using AI for trig and geometry was sinful. Sorry I didn't get your humor.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,588.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look at the future of AI. A plane drops a load of AI driven drones ("Slaughterbots") with facial recognition. They take out half the city of wrong-thinking individuals. Pretty cool, until you are in the wrong half.

Sci-Fi Short Film “Slaughterbots” | DUST - YouTube

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a Catholic friend who is irritated by the use of computers to process "big data" and develop AI to replace traditional geometry and trigonometry. He thinks it is part of the overall pervasiveness of sin in the world and kind of sin of trigonometry. What do you think?

Ask him if he prefers long division to short division.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In one word, "Huh?" Geometry and trigonometry has nothing to do with "big data." AI, on the other hand, can be applied by it. It's like the chicken hiring a fox to protect the henhouse from weasels.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I'm still sleepy and not caffeinated. Though my calculators and yes, slide rules, have "Sin" on them, I still think of it as "Sine."

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a Catholic friend who is irritated by the use of computers to process "big data" and develop AI to replace traditional geometry and trigonometry. He thinks it is part of the overall pervasiveness of sin in the world a kind of sin of trigonometry. What do you think?
Well, there is sin, and cos in trigonometry. :) Instead of using sin(x), one could use cos(x+90°), assuming the trig is done using degrees.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If one is using an AI tool to get to step-by-step solutions on geometry or trig homework assignments they are cheating ... just like using a calculator to solve addition, division, square root, n log(x) problems would be cheating in the old days.

But is that a "general theology" question?

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If one is using an AI tool to get to step-by-step solutions on geometry or trig homework assignments they are cheating ... just like using a calculator to solve addition, division, square root, n log(x) problems would be cheating in the old days.

But is that a "general theology" question?
Yep, and also AI is pretty bad at math, especially ChatGPT from what I have heard, so if one uses AI, they would probably get the answer wrong.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yep, and also AI is pretty bad at math, especially ChatGPT from what I have heard, so if one uses AI, they would probably get the answer wrong.
That idea did not age well with calculators

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0