Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought the remake of Ben Hur pretty much turned your Christ into a footnote. I would call the insertion of Morgan Freeman as a magic negro was more than a weak point, it was outright offensive. That offence is doubled as he more or less replaces an Arab character. Can't have any good Arabs in a Christian film. It also pretty much cuts out the subplot regarding Judah Ben Hur's mother and sister. Not to mention turning the part where Judah Ben Hur escapes death then the ship he was a galley slave on is sunk into something absurd when the original is both believable and something one could argue was an example of reaping what you sow and God working in mysterious ways.

Okay.

Glad to see you back.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think most of the God's Not Dead series were horrible but the third in the series was a bit more thoughtful and well done.

I am also partial to Luther (2003) and Bonhoeffer: Agent of Grace (2000). Both were produced by Thrivent. The acting in both is good, and they have similar treatments of their subjects as biopics- they are more than just being hagiography.

I have some questions about Bonhoeffer: Agent of Grace. First how much of it was about his wartime experiences. The rest of my questions are about how specific details of that and things immediately preceding it and knowing how much of the film was about that part of his life matters a lot in how to view omissions.

The rest more or less chronologically.

How was his radio address where he was cut off before finishing treated? Especially where in the speech was he cut off.

Was there any mention of the positive ways he was treated at times while imprisoned? Bethge records that early on guards would ask to be in a photo with him. Also that guards would apologize for locking his cell at night and would come to him and ask that he would perform a pastoral function for other prisoners (if I recall correctly especially when they were distraught during allied bombings).

How was his last sermon treated. Specifically how were the actions of the Gestapo men who took him to be executed. Also was Kokorin mentioned in the build up to that sermon?

I have read a lot of Bethge's biography of Bonhoeffer and also the writings of Payne Best (the source for the famous line of Bonhoeffer 'This is the end, for me the beginning of life) regarding his last sermon and also a couple of popular 'Christian' histories and they were quite different. I'd like to know which the film is more like.

EDIT: Forgot one more question. Did the film mention his contact with Gandhi?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The strongest Christian films on my list in post #1 are:

1. Time Changer (Time Travel, Comedy)
2. What if (Alternate Reality, Comedy)
3. The Redemption of Henry Myers (Western, Romance, Forgiveness, & Great performances).
4. Heaven's War (Popcorn Action Film with Great Special Effects, and a Powerful Message).
5. Champion (Powerful Message on Forgiveness).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
liked "All Saints" better than "The Resurrection of Gavin Stone" the only one on your list have seen

plus liked that "All Saints" was based on a true story

other Christian films I've seen but can't remember the names but seems above two are last ones watched

unless "the Star" is the kid's animated movie
we all saw it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
liked "All Saints" better than "The Resurrection of Gavin Stone" the only one on your list have seen

plus liked that "All Saints" was based on a true story

there's other Christian films I've seen but can't remember the names but seems above two are last ones watched
unless "the Star" is the kids animated movie

we all saw that

I've seen "All Saints" the movie. I did not investigate the religion promoted in the film until after I seen it. Needless to say I do not agree with many of the Episcopal beliefs. I do not believe things like water baptism and partaking of the Lord's supper are salvation issues (Among other problems) according to the Bible. Religion aside, the movie itself was okay (IMO). For me: Jesus was more uplifted in the Resurrection of Gavin Stone and it used tasteful comedy as a part of letting others know about Jesus (Which is why I liked the film). Anyways, the Resurrection of Gavin Stone is at the bottom of my top 6 favorites out of my list in post #1. So you may like the other movies (Because they are entirely different kinds of films).

Then again, movies are subjective to the viewer. Everyone does have different tastes or views on what they are looking for in what makes a film great. For example: my wife found "77 Chances" the movie to be boring. But I loved it because it reminded me of Groundhog Day a little and the struggle of the man trying to keep this woman that he loved alive was intriguing to me. So what some may love in a film, others will hate it.

All I can do is hope that you check out the rest of my recommended films that I really love, and maybe there is one or two of them that you might really like.

In any event, may God bless you this fine day;
And may His peace be upon you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I have some questions about Bonhoeffer: Agent of Grace. First how much of it was about his wartime experiences. The rest of my questions are about how specific details of that and things immediately preceding it and knowing how much of the film was about that part of his life matters a lot in how to view omissions.

The film was almost exclusively about his wartime experiences.

How was his radio address where he was cut off before finishing treated? Especially where in the speech was he cut off.

I don't think that was mentioned, but it has been a while since I saw it. There was a scene where he is harassed by the Gestapo.

Bethge records that early on guards would ask to be in a photo with him. Also that guards would apologize for locking his cell at night and would come to him and ask that he would perform a pastoral function for other prisoners (if I recall correctly especially when they were distraught during allied bombings).

Yes, there is a scene like that in the film.

How was his last sermon treated. Specifically how were the actions of the Gestapo men who took him to be executed. Also was Kokorin mentioned in the build up to that sermon?

I don't remember exactly, though Kokorin is a character in the film. From what I remember, it was trying to be true to the spirit of the narrative. Just like in Luther, the sentiments are all correct even if the chronology is not always accurate, for the purpose of fitting a picture of his character into a film. Beyond that, no attempt was made to engage in gratuitous hagiography.

I have read a lot of Bethge's biography of Bonhoeffer and also the writings of Payne Best (the source for the famous line of Bonhoeffer 'This is the end, for me the beginning of life) regarding his last sermon and also a couple of popular 'Christian' histories and they were quite different. I'd like to know which the film is more like.

It isn't like Metaxas book, it's not trying to fit Bonhoeffer within an American evangelical paradigm. I think its trying to be faithful to him as a theologian, and not just as a "martyr".

EDIT: Forgot one more question. Did the film mention his contact with Gandhi?

Yes.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know a lot of folks hated Noah but I enjoyed it.

If you like Christian action films, I would recommend “Heaven’s War.” You can check out the trailers for it in post #2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

The film was almost exclusively about his wartime experiences.

I don't think that was mentioned, but it has been a while since I saw it. There was a scene where he is harassed by the Gestapo.

Yes, there is a scene like that in the film.

I don't remember exactly, though Kokorin is a character in the film. From what I remember, it was trying to be true to the spirit of the narrative. Just like in Luther, the sentiments are all correct even if the chronology is not always accurate, for the purpose of fitting a picture of his character into a film. Beyond that, no attempt was made to engage in gratuitous hagiography.

It isn't like Metaxas book, it's not trying to fit Bonhoeffer within an American evangelical paradigm. I think its trying to be faithful to him as a theologian, and not just as a "martyr".

Yes.

Since it is concentrating on his wartime experiences it makes sense that the radio broadcast is not covered. It was in 1933.

Kokorin was a Russian and an atheist. Most explicitly Christian works I have seen omit him entirely. He became a friend of Bonhoeffer, a friendship he valued so much that Bonhoeffer was going to decline giving the Easter service that turned out to be his last and pretty much the last thing he did. That changed when Kokorin expressed that it was his desire that Bonhoeffer give the sermon.

A lot of what I have seen elsewhere is not just hagiography it is hagiography by contrast, spending at least as much time showing Nazis were bad as the positive character of Bonhoeffer.

This film sounds like it is miles from that and worth watching.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Since it is concentrating on his wartime experiences it makes sense that the radio broadcast is not covered. It was in 1933.

Kokorin was a Russian and an atheist. Most explicitly Christian works I have seen omit him entirely. He became a friend of Bonhoeffer, a friendship he valued so much that Bonhoeffer was going to decline giving the Easter service that turned out to be his last and pretty much the last thing he did. That changed when Kokorin expressed that it was his desire that Bonhoeffer give the sermon.

A lot of what I have seen elsewhere is not just hagiography it is hagiography by contrast, spending at least as much time showing Nazis were bad as the positive character of Bonhoeffer.

I think you would find it edifying, especially given your interest in the subject matter. It is "hagiography" of a sort, but it's line with how my religious denomination handles the subject, which means while we celebrate someones life we also aim to be transparent. (the Luther biopic also depicted unflattering aspects of Luther's personality)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If you like Modern Day Hagiography Type Films: You may like the sequel to Unbroken.

It is called Unbroken: Path to Redemption.

Also, you may like Hacksaw Ridge, too:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't really go in much for Christian movies. Usually they're Fireproof-tier cheese factories.

Still, The Passion Of The Christ is a masterpiece by any standard, imo.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Passion of the Christ
Amazing Grace (2006)
The Prince of Egypt
The Chronicles of Narnia

All of these movies are awesome in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: ladyarianrod
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't really go in much for Christian movies. Usually they're Fireproof-tier cheese factories.

Still, The Passion Of The Christ is a masterpiece by any standard, imo.

Yeah, I tried to watch Fireproof again since it came out on DVD, and I couldn't do it. So I see what you mean. I enjoyed it went it came out because there was no other Christian movies at the time (Besides "Left Behind"); But now I see what you mean. It is a bit cheesy (Especially after I studied acting and script writing).

I would highly recommend the Redemption of Henry Myers. It has probably the best acting I have seen in a Christian film and it deals well with the subject matter of Christ. I am not a huge Western fan, and this film was exceptional.

full

You can rent it online at Amazon Prime Video:
Amazon.com: Watch The Redemption of Henry Myers | Prime Video

The films, "Time Changer," and "What if" are my top favorites, but I like the Time Travel genre and I enjoy a good comedy. If you have not seen them, I would also recommend those films next for you (if they sound like your cup of tea). You can see the trailers them in the beginning of this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What Christian Movies Do You Find To Be The Most Rewatchable?

Here is my list:

1. Time Changer.

Good thread Jason!

I've seen Time Changer a few times. Yeah a great film.

Some of the newer films with Kevin Sobo in them I've liked. His real life testimony if pretty inspiring as well.

I sometimes imagine what good material a Noah film could be....not the one Russel Crowe was in although he would have been a great Noah if the film was done right. That absolutely boggled my mind that the Noah film they did with him what a power film it could have been with the right producers and directors not going off into craziness.

Ellen Gunderson Traylor wrote a great novel years ago, entitled "Noah" and I believe Spielberg approached her about it and had some interest. If you give her novel a read i think you might agree what potential the film would have had.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The films, "Time Changer," and "What if" are my top favorites, but I like the Time Travel genre and I enjoy a good comedy. If you have not seen them, I would also recommend those films next for you (if they sound like your cup of tea). You can see the trailers them in the beginning of this thread.

I'm curious. What did you think of the Narnia films?

Upvote 0