Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love Gods not dead,the first one is awesome,the second not so good
I also love Fireproof,Miracles from Heaven,and Heaven is for real.
I have a love/hate for The passion of the Christ. It is a great movie but I hate
how graphic it is and how easily it makes me cry.

I have been meaning to see Fireproof and Courageous again. I seen these movies when they came out and have not seen them since. I may have to give them a try again in the upcoming future.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
#6. 77 Chances.

As stated previously, 77 Chances is the Christian version of the secular movie called "Ground Hog Day" starring Bill Murray. A man keeps reliving the same day over and over. However, in this film:

The man keeps having to see the same woman (he likes) die each day repeatedly. Note: It is not a gruesome death or anything. The death of his romantic interest is not shown. Anyways, the man does everything he can to stop her from dying, but it keeps happening. Then, one day, this man is told about Jesus Christ and he accepts him. From there, he makes new Godly choices that changes the scenario whereby she then lives. Does this romance survive? You will have to watch it and see it for yourself.

Anyways, you may find this film to be a little slow in parts. I know my wife was not patient in watching this. For we see our protagonist keep repeating the same day over and over with him trying to do things differently. However, I find this kind of thing fascinating because it shows us about the choices that we could make differently day by day for the Lord. I also liked the romance and the humor. I really liked this film a lot. But it may not be your cup of tea. If you liked Ground Hog Day, there is a good chance you will like it. This film has comedy, romance, and it has a great Christ centered message. I also like this film because it is creative and different from other films. It goes outside the norm in telling a story to talk to you about Jesus Christ and His Word.

#7. Champion.

Champion is probably the best movie I have seen with a message on forgiveness. It is emotional and touching. It has some really amazing performances and it will surprise you in the end. If you are not much into race car driving (like myself), do not worry. The film does not really focus all that much on the race car driving aspect. It is merely a back drop to the story of two men learning how to forgive and come to the Lord. Really a touching film. You need to see this for sure if you value our Lord's teachings on forgiveness. Note: The music in this movie is also really good. On the DVD, they have several music videos for the music used in this film. A very touching film. I highly recommend it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much Jason for the reviews, it takes a lot of time and effort, and several of the movies on your list we will have to see.
God bless you brother

You are most welcome, brother.
I just want people to know that there are really amazing Christian movies out there to recommend to other fellow brethren. Each film has their own unique spiritual message or lesson. All praise and glory be to the Lord Jesus for that (of course).

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Most of the movies recommended here are with good reason trashed by secular movie critics. That is because their acting is mediocre, the screenplay is maudlin and predictable, and the dialogue is unimaginative, turgid, and cloying. We should not dismiss this as anti-Christian bias. Most of the movies on my list have received rave reviews from secular critics.

The truth is that Christian movie producers and actors are relatively new to this media and therefore lack the expertise and savvy to craft a credible quality movie. Even Christian movie buffs have trashed those movies and long for the day that the quality will improve.

Still, for my 8-year monthly dinner and movie nights, I only showed movies on Christian themes. So I often showed inferior Christian movies for their themes and some of these were appreciated just for that reason. Our people were willing to overlook flaws in acting and production values just for the message. But with continual exposure, they gradually seemed to develop a longing for quality. Thus, they recognized that Robert Duval's "The Apostle" represented a dramatic step up and acting improvement. [Duval won the Academy Award for Best Actor for this movie.) Christian movie making is a fabulous opportunity for Christian witness and the quality will hopefully improve as more Christian producers and actors hone their craft.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Most of the movies recommended here are with good reason trashed by secular movie critics. That is because their acting is mediocre, the screenplay is maudlin and predictable, and the dialogue is unimaginative, turgid, and cloying. We should not dismiss this as anti-Christian bias. Most of the movies on my list have received rave reviews from secular critics.

The truth is that Christian movie producers and actors are relatively new to this media and therefore lack the expertise and savvy to craft a credible quality movie. Even Christian movie buffs have trashed those movies and long for the day that the quality will improve.

Still, for my 8-year monthly dinner and movie nights, I only showed movies on Christian themes. So I often showed inferior Christian movies for their themes and some of these were appreciated just for that reason. Our people were willing to overlook flaws in acting and production values just for the message. But with continual exposure, they gradually seemed to develop a longing for quality. Thus, they recognized that Robert Duval's "The Apostle" represented a dramatic step up and acting improvement. [Duval won the Academy Award for Best Actor for this movie.) Christian movie making is a fabulous opportunity for Christian witness and the quality will hopefully improve as more Christian producers and actors hone their craft.

This thread really should not be a debate or a "Hey, my movies are better than your movies" kind of argument. There is always a subjective element to films. A movie you love, could be hated by another person for different reasons.

However, in defense of the films I recommended:

Well, in my opinion: I don't think the movies I recommended have screen plays that are openly silly (i.e. maudlin), and the dialogue to be unimaginative, over the top (i.e. turgid), and with too many words (i.e. cloying). Yes, some of the films are a little predictable in some ways (if that is your mind set when you watch a movie). But I would not say they are entirely predictable in every way. There are surprises in the films I recommend that you would not guess or figure out (Unless you trained your mind to always be looking for clues to figure out the end of a movie). Personally, I don't want to figure out the end. So I try not to guess the end. I just want to sit back and enjoy the show. I studied script writing a little; And I know a good script when I see one. A movie does not always have to be a Matrix in order for it to be good.

As for mediocre acting:

Well, I know what bad acting is. I used to be involved in independent film making and I know cringe worthy acting is like. There were plenty of times, my wife and I had stopped watching a Christian movie immediately because the acting was awful. For me, if the actors speak and perform in a believable way, I am satisfied. I am not looking for Oscar performances. But there are moments in the films I recommended that do have some really good performances. I would not call it mediocre because that suggests that the acting bores you and does not retain your interest in any way. Good acting is when a person makes you forget you are watching a movie and you are getting caught up in the story.

The reason why critics bash Christian movies is not always because of the quality of script, the acting, and the production value, but it is because the critics are not Christian. For it is only natural that the world is going to hate the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Oh, and I am going to check out the trailers for your movies and see if they are my cup of tea or not. I am not against seeing new Christian movies (if they look good to me).

Anyways, did you see any of the movies on my list?

If so, which ones did you see?

Important Note:

Please take note that "Finding Normal" and "77 Chances" are not perfect films. But I find them to be enjoyable films because they shine in other areas so greatly. If you are looking for a "Matrix" movie or Oscar type film, then my list may not be for you. But to me, they are really amazing films that have made me think more on the things of our Lord Jesus Christ (Who is God).

I am proud to own these movies in my DVD collection;
And I praise God for them because they keep me focused on God when I want to relax in front of the TV on occasion.

In addition, fellow brothers I know really enjoyed some of the films I recommended, as well. One close Christian brother of mine had liked "Time Changer" so much, that he has watched it more times than me.

In any event, may God bless you this fine day.

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a retired Methodist pastor. For 8 years, I showed well-attended monthly movies to a good crowd of visitors at my church after free dinners. So I've seen most movies on Christian themes. Here are my Top 5:

1. "The Mission" (Robert DeNiro, Jeremy Irons, Liam Neeson)
I've seen this movie about 20 times. It is based on true facts about enslavement of Amazon Indians at the same time the Jesuits were trying to convert them--and were martyred for their efforts. This movie has the most gripping conversion story ever put on the big screen. The dilemma confronted by the Jesuits about their proper Christian priorities are unequaled in profundity in movie history. "The Mission" was voted the Best Movie on a Spiritual Theme of all time by the British Film Academy. The musical score was surprisingly voted the 17th best of all time by the Hollywood Screen Actors Guild.

I won't see this film because it is openly Pro-Catholic.
I do not find Catholicism to be biblical. So I won't be watching this one.

You said:
2. "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" (Ingrid Bergman)
Many movie critics consider this Bergman's best ever performance in her role as Gladys Aylward, the most spiritually effective female Protestant missionary (to China) of all time. The movie chronicles her humiliating rejection as a missionary because she was dyslexic and unqualified, a rejection she stunningly overcomes with spectacular effect. Her heroic efforts to save Chinese orphans in the face of Japanese aggression in the 1930s are still studied by the U. S. military.

It is hard for me to watch classic movies because I did not grow up in that era watching them. The only classic shows I forced myself to watch and really enjoyed were: The comedy film called: "The Man Who Murdered my Wife" starring Jack Lemmon (because I was into comic book making back in the day), and the TV show: "Star Trek the Original Series" (starring William Shatner). Now, I stick to watching only Christian films and shows and educational documentaries. For I am commanded by God to love not the things of this world (1 John 2:15-17). Anyways, I may give this one a try if there is nothing else to watch. But it is not on my priority list.

You said:
3. "Beyond the Next Mountain"
Despite its low budget and lack of A-list actors, this true story about the first missionary to the jungles of northern India blew all of us away. The missionary was sent home as a failure by his Indian missionary board and then hunted down in Canada by the young son of a jungle chief who felt abandoned by the missionary. Their surprise reunion that moved me more than any scene in movie history.

Yeah, not sure if it is my cup of tea. It is a little too low budget in production for my tastes. I seen a few brief clips of it on YouTube just recently.

You said:
4. "the Little Minister" (Kathryn Hepburn and Billy Watson)
I'm confident that our viewers would rate their experience of this old movie (1934) their most memorable. Billy Watson was a very emotional small boy in this movie, the son of an alcoholic Dad, who was always getting into trouble. He played opposite Kathryn Hepburn, who was trying constantly trying to help and comfort him.

The real Billy Watson, now 87, was present in his wheelchair to comment on what it was like to act with Hepburn. He displayed personal letters from Hepburn, who viewed Billy as the son she never had. The huge crowd shouted for us to replay each scene in which Billy and Kathryn were together. Imagine a frail 87 year old actor in a wheelchair commenting on himself as a little boy actor in a movies that seemed like it was made yesterday! byw, both Kathryn and Billy have their own star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

This is black and white film with no sound. Not sure if that is my cup of tea, my friend.

You said:
5. "It's a Wonderful Life"
Almost everyone has seen this movie. I loved it, but do note that it only ranks as #5 on my list.

While I have reservations in continuing to celebrate Christmas, I would like to see this film because it has a lot of moral opinions surrounding this old black and white classic. But as I said before, it is hard for me to watch older films. So this one will have to wait until I have nothing else to watch.

Anyways, may God's love shine upon you today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
#9. The Prince of Egypt.

This is a cartoon based film and not a modern CGI film. It is the story of Moses and the Exodus. While you may not like musicals (like myself), this film does have a few moments of singing (That totally did not bother me at all). The singing in this film does not take place all the time and it fits the scenes perfectly. They are not singing for no reason. So do not let the singing in the Fan Trailer scare you away in seeing this film. The performances and the cartoon animation is really well done. For me: This felt like I was watching the story of Moses unfold. Granted, the story no doubt happened entirely different in terms of how things looked, but the film helped me to feel what it might have been like. There were some really great emotional performances or scenes within this film that make it note worthy; And I had gotten chills every time I see the scene when Moses was told to take off his shoes because he was standing on holy ground. Oh, and the animation for the parting of the red sea was really cool and impressive, too. Definitely a must see - IMO (Especially if you enjoy the story of Exodus).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What Christian Movies Do You Find To Be The Most Rewatchable?

Here is my list:

1. Time Changer.
2. What if.
3. The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry.
4. The Redemption of Henry Myers.
5. 77 Chances.
6. Champion.
7. The Star.
8. The Prince of Egypt.
9. The Resurrection of Gavin Stone.
10. Finding Normal.
11. Ben-Hur (Remake).
12. Risen.

Wait... Time Changer and What If...? Do we know each other? Time Changer is definitely toward the top of my list (some of the acting could be better, but the point it makes is very powerful). The director of What If graduated from my college so we students were given a pre-release showing!

I really liked the actor for Jesus in Risen. He was how I would imagine Jesus to be like. The story was unique, too, as far as Bible movies go and I thought most of the acting was very professional and convincing. For the most part very accurate historically, though they did add on to the Bible narrative, of course. I really liked that movie and would actually put it higher on my list.

My one disagreement with you, however, is Finding Normal. The ending completely ruined it for me... Not because her boyfriend deserved her, but it was ridiculous of her to simply disappear the way she did without even an explanation... Not how a Christian should handle something like that!

I'll have to look up these others I haven't yet seen. Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wait... Time Changer and What If...?

While God could make time travel something as being possible within our universe (because nothing is impossible for God), I just do not think that such a thing is likely true in light of the Bible. But they are fun movies that entertain and make me laugh (along with a good Christian message).

You said:
Do we know each other?

I was involved in a little bit of unprofessional acting, and took acting classes (from an acting coach in their home), and studied a little on script writing (on my own), but I did not go to college for film making. I later changed my focus in life in following the Lord. I am currently working on a book project for God. But do we know each other? Not sure. Anything is possible with God.

You said:
Time Changer is definitely toward the top of my list

My best man at my wedding (Who is Christian) and I both love this film a lot. He has actually watched it more times than me.

You said:
(some of the acting could be better, but the point it makes is very powerful).

I am not as picky with the acting; So it did not bother me.
But there are many Christian movies that are low budget that I had to shut off because the acting and script were too cringe worthy.

You said:
The director of What If graduated from my college so we students were given a pre-release showing!

Nice. It was one of the first Christian movies I seen that I really enjoyed on Pureflix. Personally, I would recommend to watch it on Itunes because Pureflix does not have the subtitle options and the sound is not always the best on Pureflix.

You said:
I'll have to look up these others I haven't yet seen. Thanks for sharing!

You are most welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One Romantic Christian movie that almost made my list was "Love Finds You in Sugarcreek." I do own this on DVD and I like to watch this one with my wife sometimes.

full

It only missed the list because it falls short of a teaching in 1 Timothy 6. The good part of the movie is what the Amish do to help strangers (Which is mentioned with Scripture). Still worth catching. It is a feel good romantic film that has some heart warming scenes. Perfect? No. But it is enjoyable. Production and acting wise, it is better than "Finding Normal." I would recommend it, but I would caution folks to not think that we as Christians can seek after riches and fame and think that is okay with the Lord. Christians are to pursue righteousness instead. For Jesus said it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven.

My wish for a sequel on this story would be:

I would like to think the story does not end there, and the protagonist eventually leaves his life of fame and fortune to follow the Lord in the small Amish town he found love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
full

Here is a sneak peak of the first 7 minutes of Heaven's War (Formerly called "Beyond the Darkness"). Note: The name of the movie was changed from "Beyond the Darkness" to "Heaven's War."

In this video clip: In the intro of the movie, you will see the former name of this film titled "Beyond the Darkness." But if you rent the movie or buy the DVD, the title will be updated to "Heaven's War."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
It seems like there has been a great deal of Christian/inspirational movies that have been made over the last few years. I've seen many: God's Not Dead, God's Not Dead 2, Priceless, Miracles From Heaven, and the list goes on. I would also try to watch again at some point every single one of them that I have seen (schedule allowing as my DVD library is large). They are well-made with talented performers and can definitely be used as evangelistic tools as well as encouragement for us as believers.

I also tend to really take to the low-budget ones I have seen. I used to subscribe to the Sky Angel package (before this outbreak of theatrical Christian movies came to theaters) and some of the channels featured a lot of these films a lot of people don't seem to know about. And although it is evident that a great deal of them are low-budget, they contain powerful messages, and honestly, they are underrated in my book. There is a simplicity about them, yet the messages are there, and that's what counts.

One such movie I find myself drawn back to a lot (it's pretty old) is called Step Over The Edge, which I used to see on Sky Angel along with many of the other low-budget films. Like I said, I no longer have the Sky Angel package, and struggled to locate this film online (especially now that the Christian Films Website seems to have discontinued this title) until I recently uncovered an upload to Youtube. It's about a group of late teens to early 20-something young adults who participate in a camp program with a special time set aside for each camper to spend time alone with God and examine himself/herself. In attendance is Trevor, who has a knack for pointing out everyone else's faults without seeing his own. The question is, what lessons does he pick up from this experience? It can be found easily by putting "step over the edge Christian movie" in the Youtube search bar, and it's the one right on top. (There are a couple of other uploads of the film, but they are not in English).

Another notable old film I would love to be able to see again is Love Note. There is a new girl in school named Darby who seems to be snobbish, rude, and sullen, and one of the students named Craig (a Christian) struggles at first to reach out to her. When Craig finally gets a chance to speak to Darby, he learns she has terminal cancer and in a great deal of pain much of the time, explaining her aloof behavior. The two become close, and Craig is eventually able to lead her to accept Jesus as her personal Lord and Savior, but things continue to go downhill for her as far as her health is concerned. This one is available on Christian Films, but the full film doesn't seem to be available online at this time.

What I am able to find is this beautiful song Darby sings to Craig. It is from the point of view of new believers paying tribute to the individuals in their lives whom God uses as vessels to show them the way of salvation. It's so powerful, and especially relatable to Christians who became believers in this manner.

For those interested, here is the song.

God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0