St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is obviously not correct for me to want a discussion on faith and works in this forum, but I have my views on that, which is causing me some concern.
A good Christian friend recently posted to me via WhatsApp a long devotion which I enjoyed reading, but there was no mention of good works in this life, only the promise of eternal life with Jesus through faith. I pointed this out to him and of course he referred to appropriate Scriptures which do encourage good works in this life.
However, it impinged greatly on my dilemma. During my latest long spell in hospital during this last six years I wrote some letters ("Letters from Hospital"). I was motivated by reading the SDA Quarterly "Oneness In Christ" and felt that I was being inspired by God. I believe the Quarterly encouraged Christian Anarchism (in which I have always been interested), quoting many Scriptures, but Adventist friends criticised the Quarterly and said these ideas would not work.
Now at home, my wife giving me full time care, I am disabled, wheelchair bound, and concerning others I can only write and talk. My attempts in RL are mostly met by my Christian family and friends with disinterest and sometimes derision, some saying I am being led by the devil, not God. One person has said all I should do in my old age (I am 77 years) is fast, pray and read the Bible, and enjoy the good things of this life. I lie in bed most of the time feeling very depressed, with little motivation to do anything. Should I keep writing (here I am) or just give up on worldly endeavours? I will not give up on loving my wife, nor God.

Last edited:

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
encourage good works in this life.

Ever noticed how often Paul talks about praying for others, or how often he asks for prayers?

Have you read much about revival, because often there is a band of prayuer warriers who have prayed.

There are two signs of a Godly church, how well attended the prayer meetings are and how enthuisatic the missionary meetings are attended.

There is nothing stopping you from keeping informed of what is happening in your church, your neighbourhood, country or the world and for you to pray intelligently for what is happening.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am disappointed there have not been further posts so far giving me advice. Simply, do I pursue my enthusiasm for Christian Anarchism, or do as some posters on a secular website suggest, forget about the Scriptures and just enjoy myself? I do like reading Ecclesiastes again and again.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think prayer is so undervalued, even when totally debilitated we can pray.
What about prayer for our brothers and sisters who are persecuted?
Those out spreading the gospel?
There is so much to pray about.

I would say continue fervently in prayer, read your Bible, be kind to people, be thankful and above all give all glory to God.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that prayer does way more than we can ever see or comprehend on this side of life. Pray. That's, imho, the greatest way to spend one's time. I also find that prayer helps alleviate depression, and sadness.

Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your advice, recent posters. You are quite correct, prayer does help. I am praying now as indicated in my earlier post, for my family and friends, some of whom are in far greater need than myself.
Also I am praying for the world's population, the millions in dire circumstances, the political leaders of the world, and the rich and the famous. We all need God. I just feel I would like to do more. A Good Christian friend has advised me that I should not ask of God the question in my thread title. What do posters here think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Think it's great that you are asking for suggestions.

1- IYou could check out Non-profit "Holiday Cards for our Military challenge" They wanted to send 100,000 cards to our US military stationed around the globe this year to say we're thinking of you and thanks for the freedoms we enjoy. So you could get some Christmas cards still available now and prepare for next year.

2-You could write about how things were when you were a kid and the changes you've seen Maybe start with your earliest memories

3- maybe you've got some acquintances that would like a "I'm just checking on you" phone call

4 love notes or something special for your wife (You're probably already doing)

Of course, all of these can be covered in prayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norman70
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is obviously not correct for me to want a discussion on faith and works in this forum, but I have my views on that, which is causing me some concern.
A good Christian friend recently posted to me via WhatsApp a long devotion which I enjoyed reading, but there was no mention of good works in this life, only the promise of eternal life with Jesus through faith. I pointed this out to him and of course he referred to appropriate Scriptures which do encourage good works in this life.
However, it impinged greatly on my dilemma. During my latest long spell in hospital during this last six years I wrote some letters ("Letters from Hospital"). I was motivated by reading the SDA Quarterly "Oneness In Christ" and felt that I was being inspired by God. I believe the Quarterly encouraged Christian Anarchism (in which I have always been interested), quoting many Scriptures, but Adventist friends criticised the Quarterly and said these ideas would not work.
Now at home, my wife giving me full time care, I am disabled, wheelchair bound, and concerning others I can only write and talk. My attempts in RL are mostly met by my Christian family and friends with disinterest and sometimes derision, some saying I am being led by the devil, not God. One person has said all I should do in my old age (I am 77 years) is fast, pray and read the Bible, and enjoy the good things of this life. I lie in bed most of the time feeling very depressed, with little motivation to do anything. Should I keep writing (here I am) or just give up on worldly endeavours? I will not give up on loving my wife, nor God.

The person who said:

One person has said all I should do in my old age (I am 77 years) is fast, pray and read the Bible, and enjoy the good things of this life.

Has some reasonable advice, if you can do nothing else you can at least pray and read your bible. The Holy Spirit can give you joy in seeking him.

As you pray God may reveal other ways you can help others. There will always be ways to help others, but it really depends how hard you are prepared to push through the fear barrier. Be that setting your self up in a park, or shopping center with a sign that says "Prayer offered", and you can pray with people who stop by. Or visiting a nursing home and sharing your testimony. Or writing "God" letters to your neighbors and having some one deliver them for you. But realize you don't have to feel guilty if you can't do these types of things, or it is beyond your courage level.

Reactions: Norman70
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@FutureAndAHope. Thank you, an inspiring post. I particularly liked your reference to courage, I certainly have to pray to God for more courage, and look deep within myself to find it.

Yes, we could all do with more courage, I find I often lack that quality. But God can use us to the degree that we have already obtained.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think prayer is so undervalued, even when totally debilitated we can pray.
What about prayer for our brothers and sisters who are persecuted?
Those out spreading the gospel?
There is so much to pray about.

I would say continue fervently in prayer, read your Bible, be kind to people, be thankful and above all give all glory to God.
@Heavenhome Prayer and the Scriptures are foundational to the Christian life, right? :)

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0