What are your preferred Bible translations?

What are your preferred Bible translations?

• Total voters

FaithLife1

May 27, 2019
N/A
✟13,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My preferred Bible translations are MEV, NIV and NLT. I study a lot and I'm self taught.

Theirs a lot of Bible translations so I'm sorry if I forgot to add some to the poll, go ahead and make a post if yours isn't listed.

IMG_5620.jpg

Reactions: danbuter

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
NRSV, NCV, and KJV.

I like the NRSV for its scholarship and having less issues with translation bias due to having a very diverse team of translators from multiple denominations. It also keeps much of the poetic feel of the KJV while being more up-to-date on language.

I like the NCV because it reads like a paraphrase without actually being a paraphrase. It's a real translation created by a team known for producing children's bibles.

Can't beat the KJV for it's literary value and poetic feel. It also happens to be a very good translation.

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure the selection of translation is quite encompassing enough, though... It does seem like the NASB should be on there and a lot of people use The Message (which is a paraphrase actually, but...).

Upvote 0

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been using the World English Bible (WEB) recently. I like the fact that it is based on the Byzantine (aka Majority) text family. I also like the NASB for its more literal renderings, and the NLT as an easy-reading version which seems to remain fairly accurate.

The NKJV has long been one of my favorites. The feature I like best is the footnotes which identify major textual variations. I haven't yet looked closely at an MEV Bible, but it may be a good replacement for the NKJV.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My preferred Bible translations are MEV, NIV and NLT. I study a lot and I'm self taught.

Theirs a lot of Bible translations so I'm sorry if I forgot to add some to the poll, go ahead and make a post if yours isn't listed.

View attachment 259007
I have a friend who prefers the KJV (complete one), NKJV, and its spinoff, the Orthodox Study Bible.

I know a Melkite priest, brought up speaking Arabic, who for his own personal reading prefers the original Jerusalem Bible in French.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Message has been quite refreshing, and I have taken quite an interest in the Author, Eugene Peterson, as he died this year. I now have a handful of his books which are really good, and give an insight into his thinking.
I use a few different translations, as it is good to compare.

butwhatappeared-min.jpg

eugene_h_peterson_quote_the_only_opportunity_you_will_ever_have_to_live_by_377181_180718_x640.png

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I hope you like it.
Yeah I think it will be useful as a study Bible if nothing else. I saw a chart of English translation from most literal to most paraphrased and it was toward the top of most literal, and I had never heard of it. So I wanted to give it a try.

Also have a portion of the Lexham Bible in the mail, too. The complete Bible isn't available in print yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Theophilus2019

Jun 25, 2019
Surrey
✟54,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Revised Standard Version (RSV). It’s a decent translation and it’s language has a flow that the NIV lacks. I try to read the whole bible through once a year, usually stretching to two years, and I always read my RSV. But for study I use my NIV.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The KJV for me.:)

I also have a New Testament KJ3 which is a literal word for word English translation from the Greek Textus Receptus Text.
It is by JP Green (Translator of the Interlinear Hebrew-Greek-English Bible)
I found this very interesting as for the main, the KJV is faithful to it, so I am happy with the King James.

Upvote 0

Cash80

Site Supporter
May 21, 2007
chatswood
Visit site
✟65,120.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The KJV for me.:)

I also have a New Testament KJ3 which is a literal word for word English translation from the Greek Textus Receptus Text.
It is by JP Green (Translator of the Interlinear Hebrew-Greek-English Bible)
I found this very interesting as for the main, the KJV is faithful to it, so I am happy with the King James.

So, you never have times when KJV comes across to you as mind-boggling?

• Friendly
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I voted for NIV because that version is the one I used to learn Christianity and the Vineyard (where I was saved) uses it. For those reasons I could never imagine myself using any other version. It is a Sudy Bible, with footnotes and a concordance section in the back.

Upvote 0