• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

what are you feeling right now? (24)

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't mean beat them to a bloody pulp but something like a crack on the butt with a belt. We've done that for generations until the Millennials and compare those times to today. There's quite the difference.

i'm not sure because I never looked into the science in detail. have you? probably more trauma equates to more sever symptoms but since I don't have children I have not bothered to watch the many hours of youtube on this subject. rather than physical punishment maybe reason or other types of punishments could be the tool. maybe only in severe cases spanking would be required.

some of my friends were whipped with extension cords. that's probably too far. is being forced to tiptoe while facing the wall while holding some heavy books and being spanked when your feet get tired too much? I dunno but it only happened once or twice lol.

certainly both masculine and feminine elements are required for the proper raising of all children.

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
As horrible as this sounds, stuff like this is why I believe we should be allowed to beat our kids. This whole self esteem movement, outlawing of physical punishment, and hedonistic culture has done us more harm than good in the end.

This isn't from lack of punishment, this is from a mental illness known as anti social personality disorder, or as everyone likes to call it, sociopathy.

And you should never strike a child. You're nothing if you hurt something smaller than yourself.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
beating kids is shown to cause brain damage to them but in this case the boys brain might not be able to learn by compassion. circumcision is also proven to cause brain trauma as well. I wonder if it had some kind of useful benefit for people which is why God allowed such crude things to be official.

I certainly think that some violence is okay if done in the right spirit. most of the time it is not done right.

Almost everything on both sides of the fence can be both right or wrong. i found a few things 'irredeemable' like, lust, greed, love for evil, perversion, selfishness and the likes, but otherwise we can love true and we can love untrue, we can abuse and we can discipline, we can pride in our own achievements or we can pride in God. We can doubt God and we can doubt a liar. Basically even killing bad life can be good rather than bad. It all depends on the spirit we are in when we participate in an spiritual reality or human emotion. Violence is a value name given to a reality where force is used but sometimes what is classified as violence produces good things instead of bad and the name violence could be called forceful correction instead.

Peace

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This isn't from lack of punishment, this is from a mental illness known as anti social personality disorder, or as everyone likes to call it, sociopathy.

And you should never strike a child. You're nothing if you hurt something smaller than yourself.

i agree children should not be hit out of anger or hit to injure or intimidate or belittle for this has terrible consequences on the child. However a spanking has place at times and can certainly work for good rather than bad. My dad has both spanked me when naughty and abused me out of anger the abuse had terrible consequences for me the spanking good.

As a father of 5 children we used to exercise physical punishment in our family. We used to give the kids choices of punishment, a spanking being one of them if they had been very naughty. Our oldest son always took the spanking for he hated working in the house or garden as punishment. All our kids have thanked us for the way we brought them up and love us for it, no one kept the, albeit rare cases of, physical punishments against us, or ended up with psychological problems.

Peace

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

Press On

Giving up what I am to become what I will be.
May 11, 2013
East TX
✟231,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i agree children should not be hit out of anger or hit to injure or intimidate or belittle for this has terrible consequences on the child. However a spanking has place at times and can certainly work for good rather than bad. My dad has both spanked me when naughty and abused me out of anger the abuse had terrible consequences for me the spanking good.

As a father of 5 children we used to exercise physical punishment in our family. We used to give the kids choices of punishment, a spanking being one of them if they had been very naughty. Our oldest son always took the spanking for he hated working in the house or garden as punishment. All our kids have thanked us for the way we brought them up and love us for it, no one kept the, albeit rare cases of, physical punishments against us, or ended up with psychological problems.

Peace
I was raised the same way. My mother was 38 when I was born, and had 2 more boys later. She always lamented how she wished she had the boys first rather than the 3 girls. 3 growing boys were a real handful for middle aged parents....lol!

A few whacks on the rear end when misbehaving were a good thing in my view; it got our attention. As we entered pre-adolescence, taking away privileges and freedom (grounding), instead of spanking, were very effective and more appropriate for older children.

The schools still had corporal punishment in the 50s and 60s, but it was rarely used. A friend and I got paddled by the school principal when I was eight for being destructive on the playground.

I agree, nothing should ever be done in anger or frustration; a line is crossed there. We’re definitely from a different generation, Gerry.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟436,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised the same way. My mother was 38 when I was born, and had 2 more boys later. She always lamented how she wished she had the boys first rather than the 3 girls. 3 growing boys were a real handful for middle aged parents....lol!

A few whacks on the rear end when misbehaving were a good thing in my view; it got our attention. As we entered pre-adolescence, taking away privileges and freedom (grounding), instead of spanking, were very effective and more appropriate for older children.

The schools still had corporal punishment in the 50s and 60s, but it was rarely used. A friend and I got paddled by the school principal when I was eight for being destructive on the playground.

I agree, nothing should ever be done in anger or frustration; a line is crossed there. We’re definitely from a different generation, Gerry.

What i find so interesting about this is that the no smacking regime isn't working all that well in my opinion.

Our oldest son and his wife adhere to this 'new world order' principle. However their 3 year old is an absolute terror, who only wants things her way, and puts it on when she doesn't get what she wants. She cannot obey, listen to instruction or do things other than she wants them to do.

They are forever reasoning with her, without success for she doesn't care about reason, she wants whats she wants, or else! From all our eleven grandkids she is the most difficult one, the hardest to please, and the hardest to build a relationship with. She is a complete one way street.

The other grand kids receive discipline at times and are far more stable, reasonable and fun to have around. It will be interesting to see where our son's and daughter in law's methods are ending up. i see signs of them coming around in their views on upbringing, for her behaviours have often become impossible to control and a child who doesn't listen to instruction is in constant danger of getting into big even life threatening trouble.

What corporal punishments at schools concerns. i'm complete against other people hitting other peoples kids this should NEVER be allowed to happen in my opinion.

The Word says don't spare your son your rod if you love them, how true that is in my opinion. Discipline done out of love works far better than no discipline done out of principle, for in the end no discipline leads to no or little love between parent and child. Or at least that is our experience.

Peace

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm probably getting a psych evaluation or hospitalization on Tuesday because of a stupid comment to the nurse.

The doctor lowered the dosage to ambien to 5 mg, which doesn't work, so I got Lunesta, at 2 mg. Which. Does. Not. Work. I haven't slept in a week. I am exhausted. I am hallucinating. I am irritable, cranky. So, nurse said to double the dosage.

I asked, "Should I down the entire bottle if that doesn't work? I'd rather die of an overdose than sleep deprivation." She asked if that was a suicide threat, and I told her no, I would rather die than keep messing with pills.

Lunesta has ruined food for me. I haven't eaten anything in quite a few days, and barely drank water. Everything tastes awful and like metal.

Dad wants me hospitalized. I wanted to be hospitalized. At least until this sleep thing is figured out.

Like wow, I have hallucinated things running across the road, voices, things shaking/touching me. I can't have the lights off anymore.

I just want to go back to 10 mg of ambien and mixing it with melatonin. I was at least sleeping. And was easier for people to be around.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm probably getting a psych evaluation or hospitalization on Tuesday because of a stupid comment to the nurse.

The doctor lowered the dosage to ambien to 5 mg, which doesn't work, so I got Lunesta, at 2 mg. Which. Does. Not. Work. I haven't slept in a week. I am exhausted. I am hallucinating. I am irritable, cranky. So, nurse said to double the dosage.

I asked, "Should I down the entire bottle if that doesn't work? I'd rather die of an overdose than sleep deprivation." She asked if that was a suicide threat, and I told her no, I would rather die than keep messing with pills.

Lunesta has ruined food for me. I haven't eaten anything in quite a few days, and barely drank water. Everything tastes awful and like metal.

Dad wants me hospitalized. I wanted to be hospitalized. At least until this sleep thing is figured out.

Like wow, I have hallucinated things running across the road, voices, things shaking/touching me. I can't have the lights off anymore.

I just want to go back to 10 mg of ambien and mixing it with melatonin. I was at least sleeping. And was easier for people to be around.

it is very hard to stay on top without sleep, please do make sure you get some as soon as possible. i almost lost it a few days ago after not sleeping for a week, what can we do when we can't sleep though?

Sleep is essential. hoping you will soon get some soon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Press On

Giving up what I am to become what I will be.
May 11, 2013
East TX
✟231,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Amen to what Jeshu said. I’m very sorry Lunesta did not work for you. We all have different chemistries and what works for one may not work for another.

The hospitalization will get the situation under control. I went through a similar situation in 2000 when they were trying to find a concoction of antidepressants that worked, since my old meds stopped working. The unbalance lasted months. Though not hospitalized, I wasn’t myself. Everything off balance including thought life.

Please keep us informed, Firefly.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the aftermath of my flu still isn't over i have been so depressed the last 3 - 4 days its been shocking. Luckily i slept 8 hours plus yesterday though today i'm back to 5 still better than none at all.

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
it is very hard to stay on top without sleep, please do make sure you get some as soon as possible. i almost lost it a few days ago after not sleeping for a week, what can we do when we can't sleep though?

Sleep is essential. hoping you will soon get some soon.

Toss and turn and just try to function, I guess. I haven't been the best person to be around.

My friend jokes and says that our brains are advanced, that we're the next species of humans. That maybe we don't need sleep.

Amen to what Jeshu said. I’m very sorry Lunesta did not work for you. We all have different chemistries and what works for one may not work for another.

The hospitalization will get the situation under control. I went through a similar situation in 2000 when they were trying to find a concoction of antidepressants that worked, since my old meds stopped working. The unbalance lasted months. Though not hospitalized, I wasn’t myself. Everything off balance including thought life.

Please keep us informed, Firefly.

Yeah. I need to be in the hospital. I know I do. Dad thinks so too, he wants blood tests done because pills aren't helping.

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
so during my up days, i've been on a path of self discovery, because i want to know who i am outside of someone who writes.

i have found i quite enjoy superheroes and want to get into comic books. i'm excited for infinity wars, and want to see thor: ragnorak. i've always liked video games, but i'm enjoying them much more immensely now. i like cooking and baking and started to crochet some time ago.

and i'm excited for school! i'm going this time, no matter what. i'm gonna be looking for scholarships and whatnot.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Toss and turn and just try to function, I guess. I haven't been the best person to be around.

My friend jokes and says that our brains are advanced, that we're the next species of humans. That maybe we don't need sleep.

Yeah. I need to be in the hospital. I know I do. Dad thinks so too, he wants blood tests done because pills aren't helping.

i so hope you will find a solution to get yourself back to sleep firefly. No matter how good you do elsewhere without sleep all will fall in a heap.

Such tightrope insomnia when mentally ill isn't it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.