Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A man without a real job. Huge red flag.

He may be lazy and looking for a sugarmama.
Tell daughters to stay clear.

A lady at work married one of those guys and he has never went to work. 25 years later now. He is happy enough just helping her spend her small amount of money.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Missionary dating refers to meeting somebody that is not born again and still dating them with the hope and desire that some day they will be born again.
Usually it does not work out.

Christian dating non Christian hoping they will change in time.

M-Bob
Yes....disasterous!

Reactions: Notmyname
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
when they don't act interested in your life.

....Yes, that is definitely a red flag! Good call, miggles!

And to add to this we might consider in connection to this scenario that the other person not only refrains from being interested in your person, interests, or life goals, he/she also wants all of your attention and expects all of the gratification that comes by way of their requirement for YOU to be fully vested and interested in ... their life, person and goals!

Yeah, these things are "Red Flags"! :sorry:

Upvote 0

Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you think are some red flags in dating/relationships
For both both Men/Women

Red flags are:
When the woman is not willing to do these things, Ephesians 5:22-24
When the man is not willing to do these things, Ephesians 5:25-30

Anything else anyone tells you is merely human, and worthless if you're asking for particularly Christian counsel on the will of God for your marriage. Watch Dr. Phil if you want to eat pig food.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The absence of real-time friendships. If all of their connections are through the computer, you need to discover what’s preventing them from forming healthy friendships and acquaintances.

Many relationships struggle when the Internet has primacy in the partner’s life. I’ve seen many fall apart for this reason.

~Bella

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,699.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I cannot give you all the red flags, but will point to some that are the most alarming. Look up characteristics of those who turn out to be domestic abusers.

Now the most concerning people are those who are secret narcissists, sociopath and psychopaths. (Many psychotherapists say that all domestic abusers fall into those categories one way or another.)
The narcissists can be very deceiving initially and engage in something called "love bombing". They act like you are their dream come true and want to move too quickly into a deeper relationship. When they have you hooked, they transform into pretty monsterish characters. They are all over the place, too.

Here are some resources.

Of course prayer for guidance from the Holy Spirit is always the best approach of all.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Notmyname
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,699.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
....Yes, that is definitely a red flag! Good call, miggles!

And to add to this we might consider in connection to this scenario that the other person not only refrains from being interested in your person, interests, or life goals, he/she also wants all of your attention and expects all of the gratification that comes by way of their requirement for YOU to be fully vested and interested in ... their life, person and goals!

Yeah, these things are "Red Flags"! :sorry:
These are also classic characteristics of those with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's all about them - though they may deceive people initially about that.

• Friendly
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These are also classic characteristics of those with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's all about them - though they may deceive people initially about that.

Yep. It's definitely a plus for a single person to learn about the signs of disorders like Narcissism, Sociopathy, and/or Psychopathy, among others. They're not always easy to spot and, if the red flags are ignored, any of these can be cause for future bouts with unhappy relationships.

On the other side of the coin, this reminds me of another red flag we might add to the ongoing list: the potential date says to you, and insists upon, that you're a narcissist, leaving you speechless, and then proceeds to tell you about how you need some help. Yes, this too can be a 'red flag.' ;)

Then, there's a third side to all of this: as "Christian single people," we probably also need to realize that 'red flags' don't necessarily or always need to be considered as 'deal breakers.' We all have our personal struggles as people, we all fall short and not only have psychological 'ticks,' and we also have sins which we have to contend with, but we all need empathy, understanding, compassion, insight, and help. If these last things can't be mustered by both single persons as they date each other, then that is a 'red flag' for both of them to ponder over. :cool:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Hi LoricaLady, I added just a tinsy-wincy little bit to my post above. ;)

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,699.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi LoricaLady, I added just a tinsy-wincy little bit to my post above. ;)
Yes, I agree with what you say. Again, the most important thing, though, is to seek the Lord in prayer for guidance. He knows everything and we never do.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I agree with what you say. Again, the most important thing, though, is to seek the Lord in prayer for guidance. He knows everything and we never do.

Yes, that is the most important thing! Well said! :cool:

• Friendly
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the popular practice of equating suspect behavior with psychological disorders is reckless and unloving. Most people have no clinical training and would be better off addressing the behavior in plain speech.

And as @2PhiloVoid noted, some things aren’t dealbreakers. We have differing levels of tolerance and should be comfortable with the person as-is. Some bad traits may fall away and others may not. Choosing the flaws you can live with creates a happier environment for both.

~Bella

• Winner
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,699.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think the popular practice of equating suspect behavior with psychological disorders is reckless and unloving. Most people have no clinical training and would be better off addressing the behavior in plain speech.

And as @2PhiloVoid noted, some things aren’t dealbreakers. We have differing levels of tolerance and should be comfortable with the person as-is. Some bad traits may fall away and others may not. Choosing the flaws you can live with creates a happier environment for both.

~Bella
The people in the videos above are psychotherapists who have had decades of experience. They are describing what they have seen in their practices and in the literature. People can learn from what they have learned, or not. They can heed their warnings or not. Up to them.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The people in the videos above are psychotherapists who have had decades of experience. They are describing what they have seen in their practices and in the literature. People can learn from what they have learned, or not. They can heed their warnings or not. Up to them.

I am speaking of every day people and specified that in my comment. It is a popular slur. While it may hold true in some cases, labeling someone with psychological disorders without proof is slanderous and unChrist-like.

~Bella

• Agree
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,699.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I am speaking of every day people and specified that in my comment. It is a popular slur. While it may hold true in some cases, labeling someone with psychological disorders without proof is slanderous and unChrist-like.

~Bella
Well, yeal. It is best not to say negative things about people in general if we can avoid it. It's also true though that you don't get "proof" that someone is a narcissist, sociopath or psychopath. They rarely will submit to brain scans and psychological tests for such disorders. If they do, why would most announce their disorder, the proof, to others?

You are right that we should not slander others. But I think we also need to inform others of the dangers that are out there from things like domestic abuse characteristics, and the disorders named above. To do that is not slandering anyone. It is simply pointing out correlations and warning people, or oneself.

We can always say about someone "It seems to me this person is exhibiting classic behavior patterns associated with...." domestic abusers, narcs, sociopaths, psychopaths... "Here is why I think that... You may want to do some more research on those topics and see what you learn so that you can avoid being hurt if there is a future danger."

That is different than just saying "He is a narcissist!" or whatever.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is simply pointing out correlations and warning people, or oneself.

The comment wasn’t directed to you. There is a lot of information available about the disorders and a plethora of social media memes and hashtags.

We can always say about someone "It seems to me this person is exhibiting classic behavior patterns associated with....

I don’t use that verbiage. I address my feelings and the impact their behavior is having. I don’t play armchair psychiatrist. Others may prefer different expressions. :)

~Bella

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.