Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actully my dogs are raw fed so the isent nearly as much as you would imagine :D I see cocker sized dogs leaving bigger dumps than my dogs... which is a tad scary... where is it all coming from :eek:

I suspect theres a lot more people out there that are gluten or wheat intolerant but dont realize it because they just assume feeling tired/achy/bloated etc etc is normal or part of getting older. Theres other things in wheat that they could be reacting to also, so just because they get tested & told... “nope, your not gluten sensitive...go eat more grains” reality is, they may still have a problem with wheat.

My scales are ok, I doubt there the most accurate out there but 6-8lb difference is a fair bit more than I would atribute to the scales being fluky.

My general aim is to be healthy over hitting a set weight so I dont generally worry to much what the scales say. How I feel, energy etc is what I tend to pay more attention to. Plus when your weight hasent changed but your new trousers that fit when you bought them, are now slouching down yer hips.... .o_O

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That is amazing about the difference in Cocker poo as compared to giant dog poo with raw food! Wow.

I feed my cat canned food, supposedly the best of it's kind, Wellness Core, wet and dry. She stays nice and slim with that and has been very healthy so far. I am leery of raw foods due to concerns about parasites. They can be passed on, too, from animals to pets. No doubt you have figured all that out, and know how to avoid them.

I just hate eating meat - though I do - and feeding it to pets, due to factory farming. If there was a farm anywhere near where they did humane slaughter....but there isn't. I have this theory that many animals still have at least some of their basic, kind, nature from before the Fall. Like we can see all those videos where, in captivity, predators make friends with what would be their meals in the wild, including people.

Also, there was the story of an abandoned lion cub raised by people who only ate produce and she always turned her nose up at, and refused, meat, all her life. She was very healthy too!

I do give my cockatiels and parakeet raw food, seed, fresh veggies and fruit. Well, some are freeze dried dried fruits & veggies. They say those are just as healthy.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yup, amazing the difrence feeding foods they were designed to eat. Plus my vet bills are pretty much non-existent. nueters and actuall injurys is it.

I know some people who feed raw to there cats, super healthy animals. Think they need to get whole prey model (ie all the bits including offal) as they need taurine and such but if I had a cat thats what id do... which I dont... cause there eveil wee ninjas in fur suits :p

Were lucky here in that we have a lot of locally avalible meat/farms/dairys etc. I wont buy meat at the regular grocery stores but ive got plenty of other choice to buy from. One of the best butchers in the area has a shop about 20 miles away but he lives right here in the village so he delivers direct to my door. And theres a couple farmers markets in the area also.

If thers no-one local have you looked into companys that will ship? I know theres a couple good ones in the US although I dont remember any names. They usally ship next day and use cooler boxes with icepacks etc. I dont know how it would compare costwise but you could be more selective about quality and welfare etc.

Uhhh yeah, you ferget the part where those “friendly” animals sometimes “eat” the people. :p

Used to have a cockatiel... smart lil bird, pooped in my sisters mouth once....:eek::D:D:D

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It sounds charming to live in a Scottish village, and with a butcher and farmers' markets nearby. Do you prefer Scotland to Canada?

Cats are good little companions, really low maintenance, too. I love my cat, but not enough to go off my budget by shipping in raw meat.

On the predatory animals, I guess I usually just hear about the ones who worked out with people. My favorite story is the diver who has made friends with lemon sharks and regularly sees them come to him to remove things like hooks in their mouths, or fishing wire tangled on their bodies. Who knew sharks could be so smart?

Well, as for my diet, I won't do my Thursday check-in, but report now. I got hypoglycemia and went off the diet. Then, reflecting on how some say keto diets don't cause hypoglycemia (though some say they do) I decided to try that. Keto causes you to lose weight fast. Well, it definitely made me even more hypoglycemic so I ate more carbs to not feel shaky and fatigued.

The original diet I was on was working at first. I will try tweaking it by adding a bit more carbs, but not very many, and see if that does the job. But, no weight loss this week. :sigh:

• Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well the old part of the village (where we live) is pretty cool, our house is about 300 years old. Fishermans cottage. Theve been building a lot of new homes up the hill in the last 10 years and that part... meh.
I loved Canada (BC) hated Florida, Liked Oregon and Love Scotland (at least when the weathers half decent) mostly I miss the copious amounts of snow lol. We do get snow here but not on a regular basis, some years we havent gotten any where I live (although theres usally some inland)

Lol, i didn't mean to ship in meat for your cat, (although you could do that to) I ment for yourself. To get better quality, high welfare meats if you cant source it locally.

Preditory animals are still wild animals. Ive worked with a few wolf crosses (in the US, not legal here) and it is Not the same as working with dogs (of any breed) no matter how theve been raised (even if raised from pups by humans) not that it cant work out.. but they do not think/behave like a domestic animal and that can lead to problems. And thats with a wolf/dog cross (same with the coyote/dog cross I worked with) not even purebreds.

From what ive seen/researched, Keto dosent cause hypoglycaemia “once your addapted” (unless you have an underlying medical issue) but if you just switch over to eating keto without getting your body adapted, then yes, you could have problems. Basicly if your body hasent learned to switch from burning carbs/sugar to burning fat for fuel... then when you stop eating carbs... your body burns up all of your glucose reserves... then tanks/crashes when it runs out, because its so used to running on carbs, its kinda forgotten how to run on fat. And it can take days or even weeks for some people to “addapt” (note... keto flu)
Have you looked into low carb paleo/primal (main difference is paleo doesn't permit dairy, primal does if your not reactive)? It wouldn't need to be as low carb as keto but cuts out all the grains/sugar/processed foods etc and you can adjust a bit more to suite you . What I do is actully Keto-Primal. I eat a primal diet but cut the carbs waaaaay down and upped the fat to fit keto macros.
For some people, I think carbs arnt the issue as much as the type of carbs.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's interesting. I would have thought Scotland got tons of snow. I'm glad you are happy with where you are. Even if those modern places are being built, well you still have the charm of the past in your home, of course.

I have seen a study where wolves were raised with dogs and treated just like the dogs. The wolves, though, were likely to be aggressive, and certainly not as user friendly as the dogs, further verifying your own experiences. I think some people, in their way, are genetically like wolves. Well, the Bible talks about demon seed.

Still, some predatory animals have done okay with humans, like cheetahs and lions raised from cubs. Although, you never know, the big cats, way back in ancient history, may have been bred by kings and queens to have more gentle genes and then some of those may have escaped in the wild to spread their domesticated genetic material around. Who knows.

You say keto doesn't have a hypoglycemic effect unless there is an underlying issue. Didn't mention before that I have weak adrenals. As one doctor told me, low blood sugar goes with that.

Yes, I have looked into paleo. Much experimenting has been done. This current diet did work for awhile without giving me hypoglycemia so I figure it just needs to be tweaked. The thing is, when hypoglycemia sets in I grab for all kinds of carbs. There is always the fact too, that the body wants to maintain its "defense weight" and will fight to get those calories back.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It can get a lot of snow inland (not always, 2 years ago the ski centers almost went bust because they never got enough snow to open all winter) but we live on the coast so dont tend to see much here, although sometimes a 10 minute walk up the hill will have some snow. I some of its probably due to the salt in the air (I can literally walk out my front door & see the sea) If it gets cold & dry enough though we will ocasionally get snow even here.
Luckily they can’t build the newer houses in this part of the village as its a conservation area... all the new stuff is inland from us, on the other side of the rail bridge :)

Cheetahs seem to have a more inquisitive friendly nature from what ive seen. Its possibly there easier to domesticate but I wouldent leave then alone with bairns if you know what I mean.
I remember watching a documentary a few years back where they trapped a bunch of foxes (not sure what type but I think it was maybe in Russia?) and then selected the ones that were more friendly natured and bred from those, they kept selecting and breeding the friendliest ones down through the generations. Eventully they had ones that were very domestic/friendly like a dog... but they totally changed the way they looked. They now looked more like dogs. breeding for certain behavioural traits also had the side effect of breeding out certain physical traits as well.

Adrenal problems could certainly create issues. I know people do keto to help with adrenal fatigue but my guess is it takes more work to get it right. What happens if you eat something like say a spoon of almond butter when your blood sugar starts tanking?. That would be only a few carbs but a bunch of fat & some protin (also handy to grab instead of carb binging) does it help stabelize your blood sugar levels? Might be an option if it worked, to keep you from setting back to carb burner ... but only if it worked obviously.
Keto isent supposed to be calorie restriction so that may be adding to your problem, if your restricting calories and doing keto it could be making things worse as your bodys fighting against what it veiws as “holy batman yer trying to starve me!!!”

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That sounds so lovely to live in an historic home in Scotland, by the sea, and with canine companionship of the giant kind. I so love big dogs. Come to think of it, I also especially love cetaceans. I wonder if you ever see any whales or dolphins near you in the sea? It seems to me they may be as smart as people. They can't write books or have technology in their watery world, with no hands, but they seem hyper intelligent. I have an idea in my mind to write and illustrate a children's story about a rescued whale maybe in a year or so.

As for children and Cheetahs, seems you are right about that. My grand daughter develops library programs for children and once her library brought in Cheetahs, on leashes, from the local zoo for the kids to see. But the kids were not allowed to get close to the stage.

Yeal, it seems that for me, with adrenal issues, Keto is out. When I get hypoglycemic I get real concerned and grab for those carbs. That can be overdone as a kind of excuse, though. This has not been a good week for me on the diet so I won't be reporting in on that. On the bright side, I do feel that the Father is telling me I will be thin again in the future. He is always right, of course. It's just that weight loss has been more difficult for me than ever in my life.

I believe our battles are so often at least partly spiritual. For example I have noticed that when I spend a certain amount of time in certain ways in prayer and praise every day that I lose weight more easily! I kind of slipped away from doing all that as well as I know I should, but am back on the wagon. Now I believe, from past experience, that I will have more strength.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yup, we see dolphins or porpoises heading up/down the coastline fairly often and saw minkie whales once or twice, also the occasional seal... (supposedly theres quite a few but Ive only seen them a few times.)

Cheetas can be trained to hunt /run down prey (that is, for humans... obviously they’re well able to hunt fer themselves :p ) a lot more tractable than most cats. Thats awesome that they brought them in for the kids, I remember there being a christmas “village” thing at the local mall when I was a kid and I was so chuffed that they had a bunch of real reindeer that you could see & pet.

I dont think keto is necessarily out for you as I know quite a few people actully use it to help with adrenal issues but I think you would need to do a bunch more research so you can suss out “how” to utilize it properly as Im thinking it would take a bit more fine tuning and possibly additional adrenal support To get the full benefits without sabotaging yourself.
As for grabbing carbs when you shouldent... Ive never had an issues as ive never really been a carb addict but my DH.... dh would “EAT ALL THE CARBS!” At the slightest bit of stress/hunger etc... I had to pretty much go though all the cupboards and totally get rid of anything “bad” plus making sure theres things avalible that he can eat makes all the difference. Its a lot easier not to eat bad things if you cant just grab it and stuff it in your mouth lol.

Hmmm. Never noticed in difrence in weight due to prayer... but saying that, some of the things ive prayed for have had to do with God giving me wisdom and knowledge, including ways of dealing with my health and dh’s health... which led me to paleo/primal and now to keto.... so in a way... :D

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Oh, I never lost weight due to just praying, though wouldn't that be lovely! It's just that through prayer I get guidance and resistance to temptation if I pray "earnestly" enough.

Sigh. I wish I could go outside and see those dolphins and whales. That would be a thrill. I have been on the eastern coast of the USA in Maine andin Florida, and on the gulf, but I never saw any. I would love to go swim with them some time, especially whales!

That is cool that you protect your hubby from temptation. I bet he appreciates that.

You could be right about keto. I will need to research it more in relation to adrenal issues. It would be wonderful if it could work out as it causes rapid weight loss.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
*snicker* there would be people praying on there knees everywhere & the gyms would all go out of buisness

I lived in Florida for a couple years & remember seeing manetees a few times (also alligators in the canal a few houses down from us... :confused:

Yeah, Im lucky that I grew up without all the prossesed foods, sweets etc. My mum cooked prettymuch everything from scratch (and taught us kids how to cook) and only time we got things like cake/pop etc was usally somebodys birthday... so between that and a very non-addictive personality type I never really had a problem choosing to eat or not eat things.. DH on the other hand grew up on lots of bread/pop/sweets/fried foods/carbs all the things he really can’t have now if he wants to be healthy. But him being a carb addict, if I were to buy it/keep it in the house, he’d eat it... and then feel bad about it... so no reason to have it around. And he is getting a lot better. A couple times hes bought stuff at the shop to eat and not even finished it cause “taste “ :confused: and felt cruddy efterwards.

Funny how your sense of taste changes if you dont eat certain things.... I cant eat reg candy bars or sweeties any more cause it taste nasty, chemically nasty. Or really any prossesed foods.. bleah.

Keto dosent always cause rapid weight loss, I think a lot of people start it, thinking they are gonna just drop weight like magic, and some times they do... but your body dosent always do what you want it to. Exspecially if it “thinks” other things take priority.. such as healing internal issues or metibolic damage etc. So sometimes, just because you dont see the scales moving, dosent mean nothings happening.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hahahah. That's a funny image of people at the gym praying on their knees for weight loss. Oh, that it would work!

You were blessed to have a mother who taught you to cook and eat healthily. Your hubby is blessed to have you looking out for his health aggressively. You must have loved him a lot to move across the ocean with him!

Well, I have been thinking about checking more into keto and hypoglycemia and think I'll do that just about as soon as I leave this forum.

With me, if I am losing I am losing. There haven't been too many plateaus at all. This week I doubt I will have lost anything. Various issues too boring to go into. I no way will give up though. Not ever. I'm too vain. Lol.

Upvote 0

SpiritSong

The LORD is my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2018
Southeastern United States
✟148,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
One thing I have been doing is cutting back on food during the day, since I am a nighttime eater. At night, when I eat, I am half asleep and cannot seem to control myself. During the day, however, I am rather strict with myself.

The other thing I did was to trade email addresses with someone who also has a nighttime eating problem, so I have someone I know I can email at 10 PM or 3 AM and she won't mind. By the time I get done writing an email, I am less likely to eat, because would be more awake.

I just weighed myself now and I lost 3 pounds, so I think this may be working!

• Informative
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,706.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
One thing I have been doing is cutting back on food during the day, since I am a nighttime eater. At night, when I eat, I am half asleep and cannot seem to control myself. During the day, however, I am rather strict with myself.

The other thing I did was to trade email addresses with someone who also has a nighttime eating problem, so I have someone I know I can email at 10 PM or 3 AM and she won't mind. By the time I get done writing an email, I am less likely to eat, because would be more awake.

I just weighed myself now and I lost 3 pounds, so I think this may be working!
That is great. I am proud of you for finding solutions. As for me I feel very badly that I have not been losing weight at all. It truly is difficult for me because of the low blood sugar issues. If the blood sugar goes down then I have to eat something to make it go back up or I can't get a thing done and feel down emotionally too. I made some changes, like in portions, and thought they might help, but no my weight stayed just the same. I am going to the Father today in prayer to ask Him what in the heck I should do. I will never give up on this.

Of course I have prayed before to know what to do but am still confused. I know it is not Him, but me as He has answered innumerable prayers for guidance over the years. Sometimes we pray better than at other times.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I made some changes, like in portions, and thought they might help, but no my weight stayed just the same.

just cutting portion sizes never has helped me, either

so have cut meals which is slowly working for me
most days, I eat two meals and once in a while one meal

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is interesting that cutting portions doesn't always work. It makes sense that it would.

a pound is 3500 calories so to lose just one lb/wk that's deficit of 500 per day

can people decrease portion sizes enough to reach 500 cal?

that's why decreasing a whole meal works better for me

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
sounds like you may be doing whats called intermittent fasting. every time you eat your body produces insulin (lots with carbs, some with protein, very lil with fat) which tells your body to store fat. eating less often helps let your body burn instead of store fat.
Calorie reduction often dosent work long term as your body can simply reduce the calories it burns to compensate (ie tank your metabolism)

Upvote 0