• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Weight loss, diet, exercise, healthy habits, etc

Discussion in 'Married Couples' started by Inkachu, Aug 27, 2014.

1. mkgal1

mkgal1 His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33 Supporter

+4,936
    Anglican
    Married
    Here's a diet that looks interesting.....maybe "too good to be true" (and a bit expensive):

Once Upon A Diet: Review of Low-carb Chocolate: CHOCOperfection

I buy these chocolate bars from time to time.....and they *are* delicious! I just don't feel right about eating that as a snack---it's a bit of a mental hurdle to get over.

2. Inkachu

Inkachu Bursting with fruit flavor!

+3,722
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    We live near a huge farm market that has a great selection of candy, including all kinds of natural, organic, exotic chocolate. I'd rather splurge on a quality chocolate bar that costs several dollars once or twice a month, than eat cheap garbage chocolate every day that costs a few pennies, ya know?

How come you don't feel right eating it as a snack?

3. BigDaddy4

BigDaddy4 Movin' on...

+1,591
    Christian
    Married
    I'm a team player. Next time you have a chocolate craving, feel free to PM me and I'll have one for you. Just trying to be supportive! :D

All kidding aside, I think it's great what you've done.

4. BigDaddy4

BigDaddy4 Movin' on...

+1,591
    Christian
    Married
    At over $3 bucks a bar, this is not a cost/benefit alternative for me. Kit kats and Hershey special dark chocolate do just fine for me.

5. Inkachu

+3,722
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Aww, thanks!

6. Inkachu

+3,722
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I used to be a Kit Kat addict. Seriously. But once I discovered REAL chocolate, with more cocoa than sugar, there really is no comparison.

A REALLY good dark, affordable chocolate is Dove. Their dark is very, very good, and not outrageously priced. They have dark "promises" nuggets with almonds... they are awesome!

7. BigDaddy4

BigDaddy4 Movin' on...

+1,591
    Christian
    Married
    I still am a Kit Kat addict. I don't get ties for Father's Day from my kids; I get the large Kit Kat instead!

Dove dark chocolate is delicious, in total agreement there. Sometimes our work candy jar gets filled with them. But for now, the jar has mini Kit Kats and Hershey's dark chocolate kisses.

8. Inkachu

+3,722
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I used to get the king size Kit Kats and put them in my freezer for my late night indulgences :D

9. BigDaddy4

BigDaddy4 Movin' on...

+1,591
    Christian
    Married
    Kids know my hiding spot in the freezer. Not a safe place! ^_^

10. Inkachu

+3,722
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I caved and got a bag of Dove dark chocolate with sea salt caramel... wow, they're good lol.

In the past, though, I could sit there and eat half the bag in one sitting. I counted out how many I would allow myself and that was that. Small steps are still victories, right?

11. ValleyGal

ValleyGal Well-Known Member

+1,729
    Canada
    Anabaptist
    Divorced
    Inka, you might be interested in this article on meat. I don't know what the American standards are, but it looks like "meat glue" might be used in some cases.
    This Video Will Make You Think Twice The Next Time You Eat Meat | SF Globe

What's really scary is that they make all these regulations, and the people who grow and handle our food still has a lot of leeway in what they do with it. I don't think we really know what we even put into our body. Scary.

12. Hetta

Hetta I'll find my way home

+4,714
    France
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I just ate two slices of buffalo chicken pizza and so I am in need of dietary forgiveness - or a couple of hours on the treadmill - or both.

13. Inkachu

+3,722
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    It doesn't look like the substance itself is harmful to humans (it's a natural enzyme), and the concern is that when you "bond" pieces of meat together, bacteria might get mixed in, like e.coli. That's not really a direct result of the "glue" substance, but rather that they're using it to smush separate cuts of meat together to make them look like a different cut. So bacteria that may have been on the outside of a piece of meat, that would normally be cooked off during grilling, winds up on the inside of the new "piece" of meat, and never gets cooked to a temperature that's safe.

The practice is just weird and deceitful, if you ask me.

We always prefer to get our meats from the local butcher. The more I learn about processed foods, even meat, the more I want to either grow my own, or get it from the local farm/dairy/butcher.

14. Inkachu

+3,722
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    If it was just a one-time indulgence, enjoy it and don't worry about it :)

IJWTS "super food kale salad" is the bestest. Kale, blueberries, almonds, onions, sunflower seeds, carrots, cranberries in a fruity vinaigrette. SO good and healthy to boot! Helps me not feel so bad about the dark chocolate sea salt caramel nuggets I'm going to enjoy afterwards :D

15. ImaginaryDay

ImaginaryDay We Live Here

+703
    Canada
    Protestant
    Separated
    CA-Conservatives
    Now wait a minute... farm market=chocolate???

16. ImaginaryDay

+703
    Canada
    Protestant
    Separated
    CA-Conservatives
    mmmmmmmmm......pizza.........

17. ImaginaryDay

+703
    Canada
    Protestant
    Separated
    CA-Conservatives
    Now WAIT a minute, yer killin' me! ;)

18. Inkachu

+3,722
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    This place is HUGE. They have a ginormous produce area, a deli, baked goods, candy, snacks, groceries, crafts, garden nursery, you name it, they have it. So yes, it's a farm market, with chocolate!!

19. Inkachu

+3,722
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    OH, but wait, the other night I tried the "Mud Pie Mojo" from Coldstone Creamery... oh my gosh... I thought I'd died. Coffee, chocolate, caramel, peanut butter, and nuts... in the same dish. I have a new favorite dessert.