Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
It didn't take long to measure...once, really. A dozen medium sized almonds = 1/4 c. Do that once, and you remember. Also, I used to buy the single-serving cups of yogurt. I found out there is not a lot of nutritional difference between Greek yogurt and other kind, so I eat what I like. Buying everything in single-servings helped, and then measuring out other things didn't take long to figure it out. No diligence required. :)

Upvote 0

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't think eating grains is 'unnatural' at all. People have eaten bread since time immemorial. However, I very much think we should stick to whole, organic grains! The trouble with our current breads is that they're all highly processed and full of chemicals. I'm a big breadie, and I don't think I could go without ANY bread at all, ever. But I'm fine with organic, whole-grain breads.

Trying to eat right is so tiring when you're busy... I just have to say. I don't always have the time or energy to go on a scavenger hunt for whole, raw, organic, etc.

But I still try. I guess that's what matters.

The problem with grains is that you can't naturally digest them.
You have to soak the grains first, and the grains available today aren't what our ancestors used to eat. ;)
There's healthier alternatives to getting the starches you need without eating refined grains. :)
I would go onto marksdailyapple.com if you're still curious.
- niff

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The thing is, everyone will claim that just about everything aside from raw, organic sprouts is killing you. Milk? Bad. Eggs? Bad. Cheese? Bad. Bread? Bad. Meat? Bad. Fruit? Bad. Veggies? Better be raw, organic, leafy, and green. Sure, maybe have a few nuts in there, too.

At some point we need to become our own dietitians and figure out what works for us, and what keeps us healthy and feeling good. It can vary greatly from person to person.

Maybe I'll try a grain-free week next. Not sure how I'd manage to EAT, though. That's basically the Atkins diet, and I tried that and felt awful.

I'm of the belief that God created us with very adaptable bodies. After all, a hundred years ago, you couldn't get fresh produce in the winter, you had to eat whatever you could grow, can or jar locally. You ate what you could get at the local butcher, dairy, and bakery. I don't think God created us with bodies that just couldn't function properly until the 21st century and the appearance of year-round produce and world-wide commerce. That makes no sense. He knew people would be living off what they had on hand.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The thing is, everyone will claim that just about everything aside from raw, organic sprouts is killing you. Milk? Bad. Eggs? Bad. Cheese? Bad. Bread? Bad. Meat? Bad. Fruit? Bad. Veggies? Better be raw, organic, leafy, and green. Sure, maybe have a few nuts in there, too.

At some point we need to become our own dietitians and figure out what works for us, and what keeps us healthy and feeling good. It can vary greatly from person to person.

Maybe I'll try a grain-free week next. Not sure how I'd manage to EAT, though. That's basically the Atkins diet, and I tried that and felt awful.

I'm of the belief that God created us with very adaptable bodies. After all, a hundred years ago, you couldn't get fresh produce in the winter, you had to eat whatever you could grow, can or jar locally. You ate what you could get at the local butcher, dairy, and bakery. I don't think God created us with bodies that just couldn't function properly until the 21st century and the appearance of year-round produce and world-wide commerce. That makes no sense. He knew people would be living off what they had on hand.

The problem is most of what is "on hand" isn't actually food.
It's by-products, genetically-engineered, substituted, preserved and totally without any ACTUAL food.
Why do the majority of low-income families in north america suffer from over-weight and obesity?
The cheap food, is NO food - it's all cheap, processed crap.
You can buy an entire lasagna for 5$ around the corner from where I live at a local store...there is not one real ingredient in there..

"on hand" is poison.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not talking about what's "on hand" these days. I'm talking about in generations past. In our current culture, you're right, the stuff that you can just grab and eat is the unhealthy stuff. It shouldn't be that way, but it's all about the $$.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Inkachu

I had a very good sweet white nectarine today! That kept me satisifed and away from chocolate. There is nothing bad about nectarines are there?

I love chocalte so if I can get a good substitute like fruit then at least I did good for one day. However, I am still going to live through you as I wait until I get phycologicaly ready to make a permanent life style change.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I started the Paleo diet a few months ago. So far lost around 20 pounds. All the fruits and vegetables you can eat and fish and poultry. I have one cheat meal a week plus whenever I feel like cheating on the diet. It takes the stress out of it and many times instead of going crazy cheating on it I just have a bite or two of something.

In the beginning I loaded up on fruit to feel full. Now I usually use vegetables for that. The weight is still coming off and it feels better to be lighter.

You can't out exercise a bad diet so I've focused wholly on diet and am not exercising anymore than I did before.

Reactions: Niffer
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sdm, I cannot substitute fruit for chocolate lol. If you managed to do that, that's great!

I did decide to treat myself to a small milkshake yesterday, cause I'd been doing so well otherwise :) I almost stopped and grabbed something else to hoard for later on, but I didn't, and I was proud of myself. And today I'm back to "no sweets". My goal is to have one "treat day" per week. So today is Day 5! Almost there! I don't think I've EVER gone a week without sweets. *pats self on back*

Plus, I've lost a pound :) Related? Who knows?

Autumn - congrats! I like your philosophy, that you allow yourself treats and don't beat yourself up about it.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can't out exercise a bad diet so I've focused wholly on diet and am not exercising anymore than I did before.

I've learned this to be true.

My problem is that even when I eat what others say is causing them to have the weight come off, I still see little (to sometimes no) change :(

The only thing that's "worked" for me is actually weighing my food (and making sure I only have 5g of carbs each meal). I just can't see that as a sustainable way to live.

This site may give you some good ideas for what to eat, Inka:

Recipe Index » Carrie Brown | Life in the SANE lane

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well today was also my cheat day and something totally unexpected happened..
I went in really wanting to blow my cheat on Swiss Rolls, total complete crap but I love them.
Anyway I went to the store only to find they were out, I looked at all the other chocolate and I decided against having anything.
I walked out of there empty handed, still craving chocolate like a maniac, but I had enough self control to be choosy and that never happens!
So I can only conclude that my sugar addiction has weakened enough that I can hold out for what I really want! ;)

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Niffer, that's exactly what I'm talking about! When I keep my indulgences to things that have some FLAVOR and aren't just sugar-laden lard, I lose my taste for the cheap stuff. I used to salivate like one of Pavlov's dogs anytime I saw a Kit Kat. Now, I don't even want them.

Disclosure time! My darling hubby was at Dunkin Donuts and forgot that I was on a "sweets fast" and got a box of chocolate munchkins. He felt bad afterwards, and I told him to keep them out of my sight, and let him and my son eat them... after I ate one :)

But eating just ONE and not more, is a huge thing for me!

Anyway. NO sweets tomorrow.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's why it's good to do this, Inka (your fast) instead of trying to rely on willpower or adopting the belief of "everything in moderation". It's not about willpower--and even in moderation---sugar causes us to crave more sugar.

This is another helpful site for ideas (I think). There're some very creative substitutions on here:

Cut the Wheat

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am way too low-maintenance and kitchen-phobic for most of those recipes; or anything even close. If it requires me to spend an hour at the store hunting for things I've never even heard of, it ain't gonna happen. Sad, but true.

Tomorrow's my last day of the sugar fast! Not sure how I'll celebrate, but I'll keep it reasonable :) I'll be honest, I'm not sure how successful I'd be at doing this regularly, but at least I know I CAN do it.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most of these recipes I'm finding are way less complicated than the classic (high sugar....high carb....high chemicals) recipes. As far as ingredients.....Amazon has become my dear friend (and most things are here the very next day....on my doorstep). Those ingredients get used up, too (unlike so many of my classic recipes) because they are staple ingredients for this way of eating. It also seems a lot of these recipes (especially desserts) are geared for single servings.....like this one (perfect for cravings):

1 Minute Sugar-Free Chocolate Mug Cake {Low Carb, Dairy & Gluten Free}

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Disclosure time! I had ONE piece of candy corn cause they were passing it around at work.

Today is my last day! Woohoo! And I really feel like I've gotten my sweet cravings under control at this point. I just need to stay vigilant and not slip back into old habits, cause I'm so used to having something chocolatey on hand at all times.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I had a milk chocolate Dove bar to celebrate the end of my sweets fast. It was actually a bit of a letdown. It was too sweet.

That's a good thing, though!

A toast to celebrate your accomplishment! Bring on the Hershey's dark chocolate kisses!

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A toast to celebrate your accomplishment! Bring on the Hershey's dark chocolate kisses!

:thumbsup:

Happily enough, I have no desire for chocolate right now :) I'm sure it'll creep up again, though. Those Dunkin Donuts chocolate munchkins that I was denied might make a perfect indulgence next time! A week without any sweets sounds a bit extreme right now, so I was going to give myself two treat days a week; Wednesday and Saturday. Nice and evenly spaced out :thumbsup:

And I'm going to have to be really careful that I don't substitute with other foods. When I'm so used to having something sweet every day, I find myself wanting to just eat ANYTHING to fill the void. Not good. Addiction stinks.

Upvote 0