Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Check the grams of carbs and sugar for granola. If it's over 5g......I would consider that too much (which it probably is). Yogurt and granola are usually worse than what we generally consider "junk food" (it's an evil disguise ;) ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Enjoying this thread whilst eating Hershey's dark chocolate kisses.

:thumbsup:

I'm encouraging myself through this week by promising myself some dark chocolate drops when it's over :)

Sitting here sipping a grape Crystal light water (5 calories, no sugar) and it's sooo good. Definitely takes care of any sweetness craving.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Once I'd been away from "cheap" sweets (Snickers, etc) for a while, I had totally lost my taste for them. My favorite thing was really "cocoa-y" chocolate, stuff that was less sweet and more intense with the cocoa flavor. Recently I'd started sneaking the cheap stuff back in, and that wasn't good. Had to put a stop to that!

So, yeah, Day 3 - go!

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm encouraging myself through this week by promising myself some dark chocolate drops when it's over :)

Sitting here sipping a grape Crystal light water (5 calories, no sugar) and it's sooo good. Definitely takes care of any sweetness craving.

Nothing wrong with a little reward to look forward to. :thumbsup:

Good luck and be strong...

Upvote 0
B

BeachSun

In the name of full disclosure, I am chewing a piece of sugar-free gum right now. I know that "sugar free" doesn't mean something's healthy, I'm not keen on artificial sweeteners, either.

Dentyne Cinnamon gum is a life saver! HUGE burst of flavor, plus the cinnamon satisfies so many of the 'cheat' cravings. And even the 21-Day-Sugar-Detox plan allows gum.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I love black tea with lemon in it, or mint leaves. Other goodies to toss in your iced tea (if you have time to let it sit) is clove, cinnamon, and gingerroot. The longer you've been off sweets, the more you notice and appreciate their subtle flavors. :)

All true.

There are so many delicious spices (and they have loads of health benefits, too). Cardamon is another great spice to add to tea.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I love black tea with lemon in it, or mint leaves. Other goodies to toss in your iced tea (if you have time to let it sit) is clove, cinnamon, and gingerroot. The longer you've been off sweets, the more you notice and appreciate their subtle flavors. :)

All true.

There are so many delicious spices (and they have loads of health benefits, too). Cardamon is another great spice to add to tea.

I'm going to have to try this. My summer drink right now is Iced Coffee (black, no sweetener or cream). But the infused tea sounds really good with all the spices! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to have to try this. My summer drink right now is Iced Coffee (black, no sweetener or cream). But the infused tea sounds really good with all the spices! :)

You probably don't want to let the leaves sit in the water or else you're going to have bitter tea.

I make tea in a kettle like this and then put the spiced tea in a pitcher in the fridge:

Uniware Pyrex Heat resistant Glass Kettle Tea Pot 800ml NEW! at Amazon.com

but that Stash instant iced tea looks great. I'm going to have to give that a try.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You probably don't want to let the leaves sit in the water or else you're going to have bitter tea.

I make tea in a kettle like this and then put the spiced tea in a pitcher in the fridge:

Uniware Pyrex Heat resistant Glass Kettle Tea Pot 800ml NEW! at Amazon.com

but that Stash instant iced tea looks great. I'm going to have to give that a try.

I'm trying to think offhand if we have something like that (the kettle). I know that VG has a number of infuser mugs, though, so that's a bonus. A kettle like that would be helpful. We're fortunate to have a number of small tea shops locally that have a good selection of regular and spiced teas at decent prices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hubs and I have recently gone back to the Paleo/Primal Diet.
No grains, sugar, or junk food.
My sugar addiction is also pretty intense and I've been sugar free for a little while now, but the cravings at times, are KILLER.
Here's my FB page about it. :)
https://www.facebook.com/runcavegirlrun
I'm also training for the Terry Fox run and a few others..IF I heal in time. *sigh*

But great work on resisting temptation!! *hi-five*

~ Niffer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

BeachSun

Hubs and I have recently gone back to the Paleo/Primal Diet.
No grains, sugar, or junk food.

It's the way to go. I know it's just a matter of time before the negative posts about this "trendy" way of eating start. But seriously, eating food as close to its natural state as possible has changed my life.
Even if people didn't completely cut the grains and natural sugar, but cut out processed food, we'd be a healthier nation.

Even the loudest naysayers can't argue with that!

Upvote 0

Niffer

So...that just happened.
Aug 1, 2008
Ontario
✟20,246.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
It's the way to go. I know it's just a matter of time before the negative posts about this "trendy" way of eating start. But seriously, eating food as close to its natural state as possible has changed my life.
Even if people didn't completely cut the grains and natural sugar, but cut out processed food, we'd be a healthier nation.

Even the loudest naysayers can't argue with that!

We came to this decision after much discussion with our Doctor, and our Natropath. ;)
We also started this last year and in 2 months my overweight husband lost 20 lbs.
I am a healthy weight for my size and lost no weight, even though we were eating the same foods.
That's how I know it's healthy - its based on healthy foods, we eat good meats, veg, fruits, nuts...and it's awesome. :thumbsup:

However we fell off the wagon right when hubs was going through some serious exam stress/Christmas. ;)

We've recently gotten back on that wagon, because we're seeing some of negative side effects our crappy eating habits have given us. :)

Do what's healthy and what works - you need good, fresh food to survive. You need a mix of protein, fats, oils and greens to be healthy.
This diet has it all, so we're happy.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think eating grains is 'unnatural' at all. People have eaten bread since time immemorial. However, I very much think we should stick to whole, organic grains! The trouble with our current breads is that they're all highly processed and full of chemicals. I'm a big breadie, and I don't think I could go without ANY bread at all, ever. But I'm fine with organic, whole-grain breads.

Trying to eat right is so tiring when you're busy... I just have to say. I don't always have the time or energy to go on a scavenger hunt for whole, raw, organic, etc.

But I still try. I guess that's what matters.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The diet that worked best for me is no white powder or yeast. So no cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, flour, sugar, aspartame, etc. Between that and eating six small meals a day, it was the best diet ever, and I lost a very significant amount of weight on it. I would start every day with 2 c. skim milk with a little java to start the day. That was my one vice, plus a woman my age needs calcium. Then I would have small meals, like one meal would be 1/4 c nuts, a small fruit and yogurt, or a poached egg with fried peppers, or a dozen whole grain crackers with low-fat cheese and 1/4 c grape tomatoes. I would eat every 3 hours and was never hungry, even with barely any calories. I stuck to that for a long time, but after only a month or so, I found that going to the grocery and smelling the bread baking was enough to satisfy any craving I might have had - and a couple of months of that, and I had no cravings at all. Same with chocolate. In fact, for my birthday one year, I found out how many calories were in 1 hedgehog - it was enough for 3 of my meals. So I bought it, cut it into 3 pieces, and ate one bite for every second meal. Not only did it taste far too sweet, I was really hungry between those meals. Plus then I had to fight off my sugar cravings again. Not worth it.

We have a nice teapot with the infuser. I used to drink a LOT of tea. Not so much because IDay is a coffee drinker and I'm not on my diet anymore. :(

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
VG, I so admire your diligence! I just severely lack the inclination to measure out every little bit of my food, several times a day, every day of my life. I'm sure that, after a while, you could just eyeball it, and know you had the right portions and stuff.

Upvote 0