Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Time to have one place where we can bring all of our varied discussions on this stuff!

Be nice, be civil, be respectful.

I'm attempting a "sugar fast" for 1 week. Sugar is my last addiction. I've been doing well in all other areas relating to food. I don't eat fast food, period. No more subs, no pizza. I don't even crave the same old sweets. I can walk past the ice cream and cupcakes and candy bars without automatically salivating. But I've allowed myself a daily treat, usually some chocolate. Bonafide chocoholic here. And honestly, it's time to try and kick this last "must have" food. I know refined sugar is terrible for my health, and I'm not OK with it anymore! I also am a little too lax on things like soda (even though I avoid HFCS and stick to sodas with "real" sugar or organic sugar). I don't guzzle soda, but I do allow myself a few sips here and there. And even though I don't drink a lot of it, I still have cravings for it, and that's what bothers me; I want to be in control, not BE controlled by cravings.

So I'm cutting out everything with refined sugar (as much as possible, I know it can sneak into things like bread and stuff). No chocolate! I will allow myself the occasional soda, since I only sip them, and one 20 oz bottle can last me 2 or 3 days. But no other sugary drinks (I love sweet tea!). I will allow myself natural sugars like fresh fruit and honey.

Wish me luck, peeps. I'm going to count down each day here in this thread! Today is Day One!

Reactions: LilLamb219

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Time to have one place where we can bring all of our varied discussions on this stuff!

Be nice, be civil, be respectful.

I'm attempting a "sugar fast" for 1 week. Sugar is my last addiction. I've been doing well in all other areas relating to food. I don't eat fast food, period. No more subs, no pizza. I don't even crave the same old sweets. I can walk past the ice cream and cupcakes and candy bars without automatically salivating. But I've allowed myself a daily treat, usually some chocolate. Bonafide chocoholic here. And honestly, it's time to try and kick this last "must have" food. I know refined sugar is terrible for my health, and I'm not OK with it anymore! I also am a little too lax on things like soda (even though I avoid HFCS and stick to sodas with "real" sugar or organic sugar). I don't guzzle soda, but I do allow myself a few sips here and there. And even though I don't drink a lot of it, I still have cravings for it, and that's what bothers me; I want to be in control, not BE controlled by cravings.

So I'm cutting out everything with refined sugar (as much as possible, I know it can sneak into things like bread and stuff). No chocolate! I will allow myself the occasional soda, since I only sip them, and one 20 oz bottle can last me 2 or 3 days. But no other sugary drinks (I love sweet tea!). I will allow myself natural sugars like fresh fruit and honey.

Wish me luck, peeps. I'm going to count down each day here in this thread! Today is Day One!

My first thought is that if Sweet Tea is a favorite, and making a switch to natural sugars is a desire for you, find some loose leaf teas that you might enjoy (not from the grocery - visit a local tea shop, they're everywhere!) and find a type of tea you might enjoy. There are all kinds these days. Ask what kind might go well with a touch of honey. There are some that would even go well without. Have that drink of hot tea in the evenings to curb that craving for something sweet. I can definitely relate to the chocolate, though. That's the last thing to go for me. I enjoy (too much!) McDonalds Mochas (hot or iced) and will treat myself too often. I'm trying to switch to their sugar free options (or no sweetener at all), plus I've begun to make iced coffee at home (straight, no sweetener) and that seems to work in place of soft drinks, even though I drink diet soda.
Soooooo, lots of options if you get creative. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't like hot tea, but making my own iced tea is certainly an option. I know there are lot s of naturally-flavored water recipes out there, too, where you add fruit and stuff for flavor. Good ideas!

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't like hot tea, but making my own iced tea is certainly an option. I know there are lot s of naturally-flavored water recipes out there, too, where you add fruit and stuff for flavor. Good ideas!

I didn't think of that. Lots of infuser pitchers out there that do the job. You might still try a tea shop and ask them what kinds would work well as an iced tea, especially infused with fruit. It might cost a bit more, but certainly more flavorful.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the name of full disclosure, I am chewing a piece of sugar-free gum right now. I know that "sugar free" doesn't mean something's healthy, I'm not keen on artificial sweeteners, either.

That's another good thing to learn about. I think stevia and xylitol are probably the best substitutes (and they are not artificial). In fact....speaking of stevia.....you may LOVE this drink that's my go-to "treat" (without it being a real cheat); it's Pellegrino water.....root bear flavored stevia (I use Sweet Leaf brand) ....and a splash of unsweetened coconut milk. It really is like a root beer float.

http://sweetleaf.com/about/stevia/

Peppermint tea is great chilled also :)

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Almost any herbal tea tastes great as an iced tea. Brew a whole pot at night, put it in the fridge and you have tea all the next day.

There are these fantastic jugs out there...they are actually made for ice-brewed looseleaf teas, with a glass strainer in the centre. You don't have to use tea in it, though. You can use lemons, limes, strawberries (goes well with mint leaves), blueberries/raspberries, or whatever kind of fruit you like. If you use cherries, be sure to cut them in half to get to the meat of the cherry. You can make it into whatever flavour you like and it is naturally sweetened.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is an example of the pitcher like what VG mentioned (this won't work for tea, but you don't want to leave loose tea leaves in water anyway):

Fruit Infusion Pitcher : Target

BUT.....there's this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPOH43K/ref=s9_al_bw_g325_i4

512UTKqRtPL._SS160_.jpg
You don't have to brew it---it's instant :)

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Inkachu

I admire you for taking on this challenge. I will be rooting for you!

Maybe I will follow your lead someday and curb my bad eating habits but for now i will have to admit that I do not have the motivation.

I am going to live vicariously through you for now OK?

Go Inkachu GO !!!
Rah rah Inkachu!!!!
( I have my cheer leading suit on and am jumping!)

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sdmsanjose - haha! Silly fellow :)

Day 1 without sweets has been conquered! I did have some Crystal Light water, but again, it doesn't have actual sugar in it. I'm not thrilled that it still had artificial sweeteners, though. But... one thing at a time!

Question: is cane sugar any healthier than regular ol' refined sugar? Or "less bad" at least? I didn't consume any, but I was checking our dark chocolate almond milk in the fridge, and noticed it had cane sugar instead of sugar.

Oh yeah, and still in keeping with "full disclosure" lol... I had some organic granola cereal last night, and it did list "sugar" as an ingredient. I didn't consider it a sweet or dessert, though.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think cane sugar is "less bad" than refined---but it's still something to be used minimally.

This new research syncs with decades of data on how sugar causes insulin resistance, high triglycerides, lower HDL (good) cholesterol and dangerous small LDL (bad) cholesterol. It also triggers the inflammation we now know is at the root of heart disease.

And fats, including saturated fats, have been unfairly blamed. With the exception of trans fats, fats are actually protective. This includes omega-3 fats, nuts and olive oil, which was proven to reduce heart attack risk by more than 30% in a recent large randomized controlled study.

Here’s the simple fact: Sugar calories are worse than other calories
. All calories are not created equal. A recent study of more than 175 countries found that increasing overall calories didn’t increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, but increasing sugar calories did — dramatically.~Eggs Don’t Cause Heart Attacks — Sugar Does - Dr. Mark Hyman

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of my facebook friends, a nutritionist in training, challenged me and several other people to a 5-day clean diet. September 1-5. I already don't eat gluten really or drink sodas, but for these 5 days I will also take care to not eat candy, drink black coffee and unsweet herbal tea, avoid anything fried (yes, gluten free people can still eat some fried foods), avoid heavy salt, no potatoes, and minial dairy. Only plain greek yogurt is allowed.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Jan 31, 2008
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love chocolate. The older I get, though, the more I find that I love good chocolate. Can't handle the hershey's anymore, just tastes like sucking on a bar of sugar. ^_^

Try this for a not-super-sweet chocolate fix:
60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips - Baking Products - SHOP PRODUCTS - SHOP PRODUCTS

Sooooo good.

OH, I lost my taste for Hershey's and other cheap chocolate long ago! I stick to really, really good chocolate now :) I do enjoy dark chocolate very much, and if I have choice between that and milk chocolate, I'll always go for the dark. But for my no-sweets week, even the dark is out!

If anybody else loves dark chocolate or things that are more "cacao" flavored and not so sugary, try Magnum Infinity bars! They make one with cacao nibs in the chocolate coating, and it is DIVINE. Another great option is Talenti Double Dark chocolate gelato. Much less fat and calories than ice cream, but it's soooo good.

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Oh yeah, and still in keeping with "full disclosure" lol... I had some organic granola cereal last night, and it did list "sugar" as an ingredient. I didn't consider it a sweet or dessert, though.

Granolas are tricky. They can be good for fibre content (I think) but the sugar content as well as calories can work against you sometimes. I learned to become a label reader when it comes to what I believe is healthy and turns out not to be. Labels can be your best friend. Even when they claim to be "low fat", the trade is in higher calories or sugar.

Upvote 0