Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been enlightened by youtubers about the effects of sugar. The FDA gives us our recommended daily allowance (RDA) for macronutrients. What upsets me is that there have been numerous studies about the effect of too much sugar consumption but no change in dietary guidelines. A recent study by Harvard talks about the effects of sugar including added sugar. Processed foods have a lot of added sugar and I imagine if it didn't it'll taste like dirt. Approximately 4.2 grams of carbohydrates equals one teaspoon of sugar does the RDA reflect the science literature (I'm not a math wiz)? With the health epidemic in America, you would assume the government would have a concern, I have my thought and it's about money. I personally feel that a warning label needs to be applied to foods with high sugar. Peace

The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.
Thomas A. Edison
The Great Culling of the human race already has begun. It is being done through chemicals added to our drinking water, food, medicines, and the air we breathe - chemicals that have the known effect of reducing fertility and shortening lifespan.
G. Edward Griffin

Last edited:

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Government (FDA) can only make recommendations, It is up to the consumer to follow or reject them. Remember when Michelle Obama tried to make school children eat healthy food?
From the FDA
"The FDA is responsible for protecting public health by regulating human drugs and biological products, animal drugs, medical devices, tobacco products, food (including animal food), cosmetics, and electronic products that emit radiation"

How about updating guideline?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
From the FDA
"The FDA is responsible for protecting public health by regulating human drugs and biological products, animal drugs, medical devices, tobacco products, food (including animal food), cosmetics, and electronic products that emit radiation"

How about updating guideline?

You specifically mentioned recommended daily allowance (RDA).

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I have been enlightened by youtubers about the effects of sugar. The FDA gives us our recommended daily allowance (RDA) for macronutrients. What upsets me is that there have been numerous studies about the effect of too much sugar consumption but no change in dietary guidelines. A recent study by Harvard talks about the effects of sugar including added sugar. Processed foods have a lot of added sugar and I imagine if it didn't it'll taste like dirt. Approximately 4.2 grams of carbohydrates equals one teaspoon of sugar does the RDA reflect the science literature (I'm not a math wiz)? With the health epidemic in America, you would assume the government would have a concern, I have my thought and it's about money. I personally feel that a warning label needs to be applied to foods with high sugar. Peace

The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.
Thomas A. Edison
The Great Culling of the human race already has begun. It is being done through chemicals added to our drinking water, food, medicines, and the air we breathe - chemicals that have the known effect of reducing fertility and shortening lifespan.
G. Edward Griffin
Well I think the question you need to ask is: 1) What is the "right" amount of carbohydrates recommended as RDAs and how is the FDA not letting the public know about what that right amount is?

As mentioned, the public needs to make the right choices here. (fyi...I think New York has a soda tax....is that what you're thinking of?)

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well I think the question you need to ask is: 1) What is the "right" amount of carbohydrates recommended as RDAs and how is the FDA not letting the public know about what that right amount is?

As mentioned, the public needs to make the right choices here. (fyi...I think New York has a soda tax....is that what you're thinking of?)
I didn't agree on the soda tax then but I agree now, anything to deter pure sugar consumption. I also think the government should allow for only whole foods on the EBT cards. We have a health epidemic in the USA and I hope we learn to get healthy.

According to the article, it's the added sugar in foods. Just like smoking or alcohol, there should be a warning label applied to processed foods. Big sugar won't allow it though.

"However, problems occur when you consume too much added sugar — that is, sugar that food manufacturers add to products to increase flavor or extend shelf life.

In the American diet, the top sources are soft drinks, fruit drinks, flavored yogurts, cereals, cookies, cakes, candy, and most processed foods. But added sugar is also present in items that you may not think of as sweetened, like soups, bread, cured meats, and ketchup."

How much is okay?
If 24 teaspoons of added sugar per day is too much, then what is the right amount? It's hard to say, since sugar is not a required nutrient in your diet. The Institute of Medicine, which sets Recommended Dietary Allowances, or RDAs, has not issued a formal number for sugar.

However, the American Heart Association suggests that women consume no more than 100 calories (about 6 teaspoons or 24 grams) and men no more than 150 calories (about 9 teaspoons or 36 grams) of added sugar per day. That is close to the amount in a 12-ounce can of soda.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I agree sugar is a problem, so is going to YouTube for medical information.
Not really, it has helped me in reversing my Type 2 diabetes. A lot of autoimmune diseases can be reversed, did you know that? Do you have parents or grandparents taking medication? I'd like to think I can critically think problems through and I use the internet and Google Scholar for verification. I grew up in a time when most diseases were not a problem and I always questioned why cancer was so prevalent. Especially when a couple of my wife's friends and family died of it in the early 2000. I used to think cancer was genetic but now genetics has a small part of it and nutrition and environmental factors play a big role.

In my youth in the 70s, only alcoholics got fatty liver and in the 80s nonalcoholics started getting fatty liver. Since alcohol isn't the problem then the sugar content must be the problem. Today we have kids with fatty liver disease, how sad is that? I hope no one has to see their parents deteriorate like I watched mine do. My dad died of diabetes and I know I have a genetic disposition to it my mom had a stroke that ruined her life. Both of these diseases can be prevented with a lifestyle change.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,143.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
While I agree sugar is a problem, so is going to YouTube for medical information.

Not really, it has helped me in reversing my Type 2 diabetes.
You have confirmed that you think @Tropical Wilds is correct, for you go on to say
I can critically think problems through and I use the internet and Google Scholar for verification.
In other words you do not go to YouTube for medical information, you go to YouTube to assess a range of medical solutions that you then explore via other internet sources, including Google Scholar, to see which, if any offer a viable approach to the problem you wish to address.
Tropical Wilds, on the other hand, appears to be implicitly stating that using YouTube and only YouTube as your medical information source is a problem, something that you, Laodicean60, would never do.
Tropical Wilds please let me know if I have misrepresented your view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have confirmed that you think @Tropical Wilds is correct, for you go on to say

In other words you do not go to YouTube for medical information, you go to YouTube to assess a range of medical solutions that you then explore via other internet sources, including Google Scholar, to see which, if any offer a viable approach to the problem you wish to address.
Tropical Wilds, on the other hand, appears to be implicitly stating that using YouTube and only YouTube as your medical information source is a problem, something that you, Laodicean60, would never do.
Tropical Wilds please let me know if I have misrepresented your view.
Well not exactly. I searched for strengthening my immune system since it was at the time of COVID and I didn't want the vaccine. This led to the keto diet and it made sense so I tried it and it helped tremendously in my weight loss. I was overweight and had Type 2 diabetes and both they said were problematic if I caught the virus. At the same time was looking at Webmd and the information was lacking on what they call metabolic syndrome (MS) but now they have updated their websites. I found videos talking about MS as old as 5 years. I also found medical doctors who are on YouTube who have reversed their autoimmune disease and were teaching people how to do it. I started using Google Scholar within the last two years. Initially, it was YouTube that exposed me to metabolic health information.

I don't trust my government and its relationship with corporations and the OP Harvard paper is dated 2022 and it seems nothing is getting done. If the government cared about our health would this be of importance? America has a health epidemic.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,143.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Well not exactly. I searched for strengthening my immune system since it was at the time of COVID and I didn't want the vaccine. This led to the keto diet and it made sense so I tried it and it helped tremendously in my weight loss. I was overweight and had Type 2 diabetes and both they said were problematic if I caught the virus. At the same time was looking at Webmd and the information was lacking on what they call metabolic syndrome (MS) but now they have updated their websites. I found videos talking about MS as old as 5 years. I also found medical doctors who are on YouTube who have reversed their autoimmune disease and were teaching people how to do it. I started using Google Scholar within the last two years. Initially, it was YouTube that exposed me to metabolic health information.

I don't trust my government and its relationship with corporations and the OP Harvard paper is dated 2022 and it seems nothing is getting done. If the government cared about our health would this be of importance? America has a health epidemic.
Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate that access to afffordable health care in the US creates a set of problems not found in many other parts of the world.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate that access to afffordable health care in the US creates a set of problems not found in many other parts of the world.
I'm not sure about how affordable it is compared to other countries. If you say it is affordable I'll have to take your word for it because you are from the UK. Peace

Upvote 0

Jimmy It

Dec 4, 2023
Southwest
✟112,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This is just a few articles. We import many foods from countries without adequate oversight since other countries may not have the same regulations.

• Informative
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟241,143.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
We import many foods from countries without adequate oversight since other countries may not have the same regulations.
Correct. Some countries have better regulations.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums