Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Numenor said:
Umm...no, it indicates they lived longer.

Actually, it indicates that Old age=virtuous life in ancient mythology.

It's easy, there wasn't a global flood. I notice you still haven't disproved the pre-split custard canopy theory.

Actually, he handwaved it away as unbiblical. I couldn't read much after that through the smoke of my Irony Meter.

Upvote 0

cerad

Zebra Fan
Dec 2, 2004
✟10,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
dad said:
I hate to tell you what I think wicked men was doing with a lot of the animals. If we look at the sin of sodomy that was prevalent there at the time, there may have been less babies than you think, as well. Look at this fact, as well, the babies would be delivered to heaven, rather than thrust into a vile, filthy, violent world! Man would have another chance.
Anybody else notice how so many of dad's threads end up concluding that killing babies is a good thing?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
enlightenment said:
That's pure evil.
Sometimes the evil is in not giving the things that are needed to actually save us, not in measures needed to be taken (because of our own sins) to save us, despite ourselves. But at least you are nice and clear on your side of the fence, and this is a good thing.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
cerad said:
Anybody else notice how so many of dad's threads end up concluding that killing babies is a good thing?
Everything is a good thing, when Love is behind it, the only challemge is in being able to see it, which isn't something they teach in many schools.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nathan Poe said:
[Seems like everything is mythology to some people except Granny, and the Speck-in your case, a custard universe as well.]

Actually, he handwaved it away as unbiblical. I couldn't read much after that through the smoke of my Irony Meter. [It is both shot down by the bible, and science, as well as reason.]

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Numenor said:
Umm...no, it indicates they lived longer.

Since God is a spirit, he does not have legs for walking, unless what you're saying that the nature of God has changed also and not just the physical world, because that would be unbiblical wouldn't it. It's better to learn how to read the bible before you post drivel.

Umm...yeah, so nobody reall knows what Gen 10:25 means, and that's supposed to support your day-dreaming?

...what you mean an explanation that can stand up to "physical box only" science? 'Light was known to reach us faster'? Known by who?

Chapter and verse please...

There is no 6000 year timeframe given in the Bible.

It's easy, there wasn't a global flood. I notice you still haven't disproved the pre-split custard canopy theory.
Finally, some points I could have some fun slaying. Wouldn't you know, I'm going to be net challenged for another week. If the thread is still in the first 10 pages or so, I straighten out things when I get a chance. Especially that seemingly sexless idea of heaven, just because we don't marry the same as we do here now. There will still be plenty of merges!

Upvote 0

Numenor

Veteran
Dec 26, 2004
The United Kingdom
Visit site
✟1,894.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Finally, some points I could have some fun slaying.

lol! Brag all you like dad, you've demonstrated quite amply that your 'gradual split' has no support in the Bible. The fact that the Bible doesn't mention your lunatic theory is not any kind of support for it, nor is Pegel's mysterious 'dividing of the earth'.

Wouldn't you know, I'm going to be net challenged for another week. If the thread is still in the first 10 pages or so, I straighten out things when I get a chance.
That's right, get the excuses in early.
Especially that seemingly sexless idea of heaven, just because we don't marry the same as we do here now. There will still be plenty of merges!
Let's have some bible verses to back this up dad, although you're not doing very well on that score recently.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
dad said:
[Seems like everything is mythology to some people except Granny, and the Speck-in your case, a custard universe as well.]

Not so, dad. It just requires something a little more substantial than your say-so to make something real.

Actually, he handwaved it away as unbiblical. I couldn't read much after that through the smoke of my Irony Meter. [It is both shot down by the bible, and science, as well as reason.]

You would have to actually use any or all of those things before you make that claim.

Seeing as how the spiritual can alter the physical at whim (and not just your own whim), then there's no reason not to believe the custard canopy.

Your experience in the mythology box prevent you from seeing this: Since you are limited by believing that the Bible is the only truth, and even further limited by believing that your reading of the Bible is the only truth, the custard shall elude you.

Which is a shame, since it is quite yummy. :yum:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
dad said:
Finally, some points I could have some fun slaying. Wouldn't you know, I'm going to be net challenged for another week. If the thread is still in the first 10 pages or so, I straighten out things when I get a chance. Especially that seemingly sexless idea of heaven, just because we don't marry the same as we do here now. There will still be plenty of merges!

Sounds to me like you're planning in advance to change the subject.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
;)
Numenor said:
let's have some bible verses to back this up dad, although you're not doing very well on that score recently.

For once, I'm on dad's side here. If there is a heaven, there had better be some sex going on, or else why did man bother to create it, much less aspire to it?

Mark Twain said:
For there is nothing about man that is not strange to an immortal. He looks at nothing as we look at it, his sense of proportion is quite different from ours, and his sense of values is so widely divergent from ours, that with all our large intellectual powers it is not likely that even the most gifted among us would ever be quite able to understand it.

For instance, take this sample: he has imagined a heaven, and has left entirely out of it the supremest of all his delights, the one ecstasy that stands first and foremost in the heart of every individual of his race -- and of ours -- sexual intercourse!

It is as if a lost and perishing person in a roasting desert should be told by a rescuer he might choose and have all longed-for things but one, and he should elect to leave out water!

To wit, that the human being, like the immortals, naturally places sexual intercourse far and away above all other joys -- yet he has left it out of his heaven! The very thought of it excites him; opportunity sets him wild; in this state he will risk life, reputation, everything -- even his queer heaven itself -- to make good that opportunity and ride it to the overwhelming climax. From youth to middle age all men and all women prize copulation above all other pleasures combined, yet it is actually as I have said: it is not in their heaven; prayer takes its place.

--Letters From the Earth

But at least I'm willing to admit that my notion is based primarily on wishful thinking...

Upvote 0

Stan the Man

Helper and Protector
Dec 9, 2003
Stroud
✟9,623.00
Faith
Christian
Um, you what dad? I don't know exactly what translation of the bible you've got hold of but it seems to be missing whole pages here...

You've already said we will be made like the angels - this is just plain wrong, the bible says we will be made like CHRIST. Big difference. In fact it says that we will be placed higher than the the angels, and rule over them.

It has already been pointed out that Jesus said that marriages will not occur in heaven - the only concept of marriage described as existing in heaven is the marriage of Christ to the Church - I'm not entirely sure why you think that making love -something which God has created as a sacred act within the boundaries of marriage - will happen in heaven where marriage will not occur - chapter and verse for this?

If animals had souls according to scripture then how would that fit within the concept of sin offerings and burnt offerings in the Old Testament?

I have to say that if you are not on target on these biblical issues, how can tertiary issues like the canopy be argued convincingly?

Upvote 0

Numenor

Veteran
Dec 26, 2004
The United Kingdom
Visit site
✟1,894.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Nathan Poe said:
For once, I'm on dad's side here. If there is a heaven, there had better be some sex going on, or else why did man bother to create it, much less aspire to it?

I don't necessarily disagree with dad on this point, but I think it's useful to try and train him in the habit of backing up what he says with evidence (scriptural or otherwise) rather than just pontification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Numenor said:
I don't necessarily disagree with dad on this point, but I think it's useful to try and train him in the habit of backing up what he says with evidence (scriptural or otherwise) rather than just pontification.

Useful, but pointless. I'm thinking of Sisyphus here...

...which, of course, has both scientific and Greek mythological backing to make it historical fact. Check, and mate!

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
dad said:
Or does nobody read Gilgamesh anymore? [Giglamesh is for giggles, because it is a crock of paganistic assumptions that overlooks the utter unimportance of all but God's people at the time, as far as who knew anything of worth.].

And Yet the Epic of Gilgamesh, particularly its own flood story, predates the OT by roughly 1,000 years.

If non-Hebrews were so unimportant, why then did the OT writers steal their myths?

Upvote 0

DJ_Ghost

Trad Goth
Mar 27, 2004
Durham
Visit site
✟11,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Nathan Poe said:
And Yet the Epic of Gilgamesh, particularly its own flood story, predates the OT by roughly 1,000 years.

If non-Hebrews were so unimportant, why then did the OT writers steal their myths?

Only borrowed, they meant to given them back... ;)

Ghost

Upvote 0