Visit site
✟1,894.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Heb 10:25 - Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another...

How can you enocourage anyone else when you don't meet with anyone else?

1 Cor 12:14,21 - Now the body is not made up of one part but of many...[sup]21[/sup]The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!"

This is what dad is essentially saying - "I don't need other Christians!" Individualism is an unbiblical concept, but this is par for the course with you dad. The epistles were either written to churches, or to the leaders of churches. If you decide you don't need a church then you are placing yourself outside of the biblical model of Christianity.

Reactions: DJ_Ghost
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Numenor said:
Heb 10:25 - Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another...

How can you enocourage anyone else when you don't meet with anyone else?

1 Cor 12:14,21 - Now the body is not made up of one part but of many...[sup]21[/sup]The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!"

This is what dad is essentially saying - "I don't need other Christians!" Individualism is an unbiblical concept, but this is par for the course with you dad. The epistles were either written to churches, or to the leaders of churches. If you decide you don't need a church then you are placing yourself outside of the biblical model of Christianity.
Wrong. Nothing wrong with fellowship and all, but your verses don't tell me to build expensive big buildings now do they? Jesus met in places like upper rooms, beaches, mountainsides, sea sides, etc. So, as I say the people, believers are the church, not some building, or denomination. Doesn't mean christians don't meet, but that what is often called christianity, and I call churchianity is not the only way to go.
"
Ac 7:48 "Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, .." So calm down with your isolation tactics, pard.

Upvote 0

Numenor

Veteran
Dec 26, 2004
The United Kingdom
Visit site
✟1,894.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
dad said:
Wrong. Nothing wrong with fellowship and all, but your verses don't tell me to build expensive big buildings now do they?

I didn't say anything about buildings, neither do the verses I quoted.

dad said:
Jesus met in places like upper rooms, beaches, mountainsides, sea sides, etc. So, as I say the people, believers are the church, not some building, or denomination.

So where do you regularly meet with your fellow believers, and how regularly? How may teaching and ruling elders are there? What format does the didactic teaching take? What kind of mercy ministry is the deaconate involved in? I assume the 'church' ie body of believers, you belong to (since you're not an isolationist) has these things.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Numenor said:
I didn't say anything about buildings, neither do the verses I quoted.

So where do you regularly meet with your fellow believers, and how regularly? How may teaching and ruling elders are there? What format does the didactic teaching take? What kind of mercy ministry is the deaconate involved in? I assume the 'church' ie body of believers, you belong to (since you're not an isolationist) has these things.
As I said, fellowship with other christians is good. As far as deaconates and didactic stuff, you're welcome to it. If you opt for an outdoor service, may I suggest a water canopy?

Upvote 0

Matthew777

Faith is the evidence of things unseen
Feb 8, 2005
Spokane, WA
✟6,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
dad said:
However, thinking about a water canopy of some kind, enough to really cause a flood, has led to a new possibility! [/b]

Where in Scripture is this supposed "water canopy" alluded to? This seems more like young earth mythology than anything else.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Matthew777 said:
Where in Scripture is this supposed "water canopy" alluded to? This seems more like young earth mythology than anything else.
You know, I gave up years ago on any type of canopy, because the arguements against them were so strong. The arguements of physics, that is. Now that I am trying to see if we can put the split after the flood, it is not physics that were at work, but a merged spiritual and physical together! Therefore we could easily have a massive canopy! Also, we could slide the continents in that enviroment without the limitations of mere physics only, which would have generated too much heat. We can have plants growing in days to feed the animals of the ark. We have long lifespans better explained, and just about any other physical only problem you can come up with! Thats why I now take a serious second look at the canopy, and think it does make a lot of sense.
Now, where is it alluded to? How else can you explain fast growing plants, long lifespans, a wind that reduced earth's floodwater likely by blowing some of it clear into space, etc?
How else can the heavens be opened, and the waters torrentially rain down for 40 days worldwide, along with the fountains of the deep opened, to flood the earth? I'd say there are allusians to it.

Upvote 0

Numenor

Veteran
Dec 26, 2004
The United Kingdom
Visit site
✟1,894.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
dad said:
As far as deaconates and didactic stuff, you're welcome to it.

Act 2:42 - And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching

Colossians 1:28 - Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.

1 Timothy 4:13 - Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.

Phi 1:1 Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and deacons.

1Ti 3:8 - Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain.

The origin of the position of deacon is Act 6:2,3:
"And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. [sup]3[/sup]Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty."
As usual, your position is antithetical to scripture. The things you deride and say you are not in need of are the very things which we find in scripture as being no less than central to the life of the early church.

dad said:
If you opt for an outdoor service, may I suggest a water canopy?

No you may not.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Numenor said:
[Big deal, who argues against teaching? ]

Colossians 1:28 - Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.

1 Timothy 4:13 - Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.

Phi 1:1 Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and deacons.

1Ti 3:8 - Deacons likewise must be dignified, not double-tongued, not addicted to much wine, not greedy for dishonest gain.
[Yes I think most have heard of deacons. The other word you threw out was the tricky one]

The origin of the position of deacon is Act 6:2,3:
"And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, "It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. [sup]3[/sup]Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty." [No mention of these being deacons in my bible. Simply some people were needed to wait tables, while others had more time to get things from God. Notice also that Jesus Himself picked the replacement apostle-Paul]
As usual, your position is antithetical to scripture. [Baloney, as usual] The things you deride and say you are not in need of are the very things which we find in scripture as being no less than central to the life of the early church.
[I said fellowship and such was cool. Church buildings are out, like it or not]

No you may not. [Get a sense of humor, and take a hint to stay on topic as well, will you? That's where the water canopy came in, in case you missed it. - Oh, by the way, I certainly may!]

Upvote 0

Numenor

Veteran
Dec 26, 2004
The United Kingdom
Visit site
✟1,894.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
dad said:

So you know deride the teaching of the Bible itself! Wow, you must be some kind of pedagogue yourself. You apparently don't need teaching, but yet you aren't able to support any of your conjecture from the Bible. Coincidence? I think not.

dad said:
Simply some people were needed to wait tables

Dear dear your bible knowledge is poor(due to a lack of sound teaching no doubt), the role of a deacon is to serve the physical/material needs of the flock, an example of which is given in that verse.

dad said:
I said fellowship and such was cool. Church buildings are out, like it or not

I never once said anything about you having to attend a church buidling. You must be getting it from the same place as that water canopy, your imagination.

dad said:
Get a sense of humor

I already do, it's called deadpan.

dad said:
and take a hint to stay on topic as well, will you?

Ah no, it's enlightening to see you flounder when we talk about scripture.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
quot-bot-left.gif
quot-bot-right.gif

So you know deride the teaching of the Bible itself! Wow, you must be some kind of pedagogue yourself. You apparently don't need teaching
So how do you get from 'who argues against teaching'? -to ''deride the techings of the bible itself'? A strange leap, I must say. Your words 'deaconates and didactic ' I never heard of before. Deacon, as I say, everyone has. I say fellowship is fine, and such, yet you want to harp on about nothing. As you may guess, I do not reveal any personal information so you'll have to take my word for it - or not. I am a saved, born again christian, and I don't much care for your particular shiboleths, 'don'ts' and pet peeves, and favorite religious misconceptions and hang ups!
it's enlightening to see you flounder when we talk about scripture
I don't like petty religious arguements, and have been trying to go easy on you so far. I notice you have nothing relating to a split, or canopy, just lame, knashing accusitory flotsam and holier than thou jetsom. While you're straining at knats, why not work up the kahoonies to try to address the topic in a realistic, mannered, reasonable fashion, so I can have a nice laugh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Numenor

Veteran
Dec 26, 2004
The United Kingdom
Visit site
✟1,894.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
So how do you get from 'who argues against teaching'? -to ''deride the techings of the bible itself'? A strange leap, I must say.

I quoted Acts because the verse about teaching showed how important it was. Your reply was "Big deal!". A sad reflection on your attitude towards the Bible.

Your words 'deaconates and didactic ' I never heard of before. Deacon, as I say, everyone has. I say fellowship is fine, and such, yet you want to harp on about nothing. As you may guess, I do not reveal any personal information so you'll have to take my word for it - or not.

I asked for information about whatever christian fellowship you regularly meet with, I didn't ask for names or locations. Just some simple info, which you haven't supplied. Do you know better than the apostles and see fit to place yourself outside the model for fellowship and teaching which the apostles themselves approved of?

I am a saved, born again christian, and I don't much care for your particular shiboleths, 'don'ts' and pet peeves, and favorite religious misconceptions and hang ups!

These aren't my pet peeves, these are things the apostles instituted for the early church as laid down in scripture. They are in actual fact your pet peeves, things in the Bible which you don't like so you ignore them. And you spelt 'shibboleth' wrong.

I don't like petty religious arguements

Or rather, you don't like it when the scripture speaks againsts your unbiblical attitudes.

and have been trying to go easy on you so far.

Wow, thanks very much! :wave:

I notice you have nothing relating to a split, or canopy, just lame, knashing accusitory flotsam and holier than thou jetsom. While you're straining at knats, why not work up the kahoonies to try to address the topic in a realistic, mannered, reasonable fashion

There's really nothing more I could add to the scientific refutations other more knowledgable people have given you. But since I know my Bible better than science and you seemed to be claiming some kind of biblical warrant for your canopy flim-flam I thought that your scriptural argument should be put to the test. It was, in summary: the bible doesn't mention a water canopy, therefore it happened! Very poor indeed. I like the ironic use of the word 'realistic' too ^_^

so I can have a nice laugh?

It's the least I can do after all the laughs you've provided me with! ^_^

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Numenor said:
I quoted Acts because the verse about teaching showed how important it was. Your reply was "Big deal!". A sad reflection on your attitude towards the Bible.
[No, more on your attitude, actually]

I asked for information about whatever christian fellowship you regularly meet with, I didn't ask for names or locations. [Doesn't matter, I am secretive on personal things, so your answer is no] Just some simple info, which you haven't supplied. [I supplied enough simple info, I'd say! I said I was a saved, fellowshipping bible believing christian, and thats all you need or will get] Do you know better than the apostles and see fit to place yourself outside the model for fellowship and teaching which the apostles themselves approved of?
[Already answered that. Oh, by the way, speaking of apostles, acts, and models, have you healed the sick, cast out demons, been percecuted, come to revelations, been martyred, tithe, and live communally after selling all your possesions and giving them to those who need them! Were you even boiled in oil, and came out alive and unscathed, cast into prison, and had an angel bust you out, witnessed to a eunuch on one side of a sea, and, when God saw you were done there, found on the other side?! This guy witnessed to went back, and his entire country became christian-the first christian country in the world! etc? Don't just pick out your favorite churchified bits and try to lay them on me!]

These aren't my pet peeves, these are things the apostles instituted for the early church as laid down in scripture. They are in actual fact your pet peeves, things in the Bible which you don't like so you ignore them. And you spelt 'shibboleth' wrong.
[Two b's or not two b's, that was the question. But what you think is instituted, what I do or practice or believe may or may not jive. You'll never know on earth much about that. I already told you plenty. Without hurting your feelings, I sensed a what I call religious spirit from you, a self righteous, holier than thouu type deal, and am not soul sharing on faith issues, or really telling you too much. You're on a need to know basis, till I sense some friendlier vibes. Fellowships I have been involved in have plenty of structure, not as instutional perhaps as you might like. But heck, at least they wouldn't preach evolution, or I'd be nowhere near.]

Or rather, you don't like it when the scripture speaks againsts your unbiblical attitudes.
[You don't like I didn't respect your holy words? Aw.]

Wow, thanks very much! :wave:

There's really nothing more I could add to the scientific refutations other more knowledgable people have given you. [Right, in other words, nyet] But since I know my Bible better than science and you seemed to be claiming some kind of biblical warrant for your canopy flim-flam I thought that your scriptural argument should be put to the test. It was, in summary: the bible doesn't mention a water canopy, therefore it happened! Very poor indeed. I like the ironic use of the word 'realistic' too ^_^

It's the least I can do after all the laughs you've provided me with! ^_^
the bible doesn't mention a water canopy, therefore it happened!

Then where did the water that came down and killed all men but those on the ark come from?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nathan Poe said:
Nowhere. A global flood is a myth. haven't you heard?
Ok, you're coming at it from another angle. The first guy seemed to indicate he was mr bible answer man, and insinuated I was mr bible dum dum.
Anyhow, news is in, the former physical only calculations were fatally flawed. And you can prove not otherwise!

Upvote 0