Was King David Saved While He Committed His Sins of Adultery and Murder?

Was King David Saved While He Committed His Sins of Adultery and Murder?

• Total voters

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Timothy 5 talks about how the widow that lives in pleasure is dead while she lives. This means she is spiritually dead while she is physically alive. Does this mean she is forever lost? No. She can repent. God deals with people in real time. In the parable of the prodigal son we learn that when the son came home and repented to his father, he was said to be dead and is alive again. The Parable is speaking in spiritual terms. The son was dead spiritually when he was living a prodigal life of sin, and when he came back home and repented, he became spiritually alive again. He was lost and he became found. This parable is just one parable in a series of 3 parables that all talk about repentance (seeking forgiveness with God).

I am not denying that God has perfect timing for us.
I'm explaining that God knows your entire life, before you are born.
This allows Him perfect timing and is instrumental in you having Faith
and Trust as you stumble through life not knowing God's plans.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry we disagree. I see this as the ultimate test question. If a person believes King David was saved in his sins of adultery and murder, then they are telling other believers that they can be like a King David and be saved while committing adultery and murder. It is wrong. David had to confess of his sins to be forgiven of them. Just read Psalms 51 and you can see that fact for yourself. To justify evil for even an hour or five seconds is the same as justifying evil for 5 years. There is no statute of time for making a crime, sin, or evil okay with God. The Bible and real life confirms this. Adam, Ananais, Sapphira, Simon, all committed just one sin and they died spiritually by that one sin. One grievous sin is all it took. Was there mercy for Adam and Simon? Yes. But not for Ananais and Sapphira. In fact, those who worship the beast in the future never even had their names written in the book of life. So the sin of worshiping the beast is so bad to God, that it separated them from Him before the creation. So yes. One sin. That's all it takes. To say so otherwise is to justify sin.
Your picture of God is one who gives no time to repent but immediately damns the sinner. This is not the testimony of those who wrote that God gives time to repent before judgement. You insist on instant judgement. So yes we disagree. God gives time for the sinner to repent.
Real world example? Can you not honestly think of certain sins that are so bad and so horrible that it would deserve a separation in a relationship?
That is not the bit I asked you to consider. I said which statements and will be glad to point them out later.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not denying that God has perfect timing for us.
I'm explaining that God knows your entire life, before you are born.
This allows Him perfect timing and is instrumental in you having Faith
and Trust as you stumble through life not knowing God's plans.
His will is that NO ONE perish, not just certain ones. And not everyone is stumbling through.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trusting God is loving God.
No need to put yourself under the Law, which we cannot keep anyway.
Sure, we try, and fail, and we're sorry after the fact, which is based on the Law.
We can not earn our salvation. God is our righteousness. That's his Gift of Grace.

Folks are confused by the words of Paul because they do not realize that he was fighting against "Circumcision Salvationism."

We see this was a major problem that was addressed at the Jerusalem Counsel.

1. Acts of the Apostles 15:1 says, “And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.”

2. Acts of the Apostles 15:5 says, But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”....................................................................................................................................................................................................
  3. Acts of the Apostles 15:24 says, “Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:”

Here are verses by Paul that showed that he fought against the same heresy:

1. Galatians 2:3 says, “But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:”

2. Galatians 5:2 says, “Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.”

3. Galatians 5:6 says, “For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.”

4. Galatians 6:15 (NLT) says, “It doesn't matter whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation.”

5. 1 Corinthians 7:18-19 says, 18 For instance, a man who was circumcised before he became a believer should not try to reverse it. And the man who was uncircumcised when he became a believer should not be circumcised now. (NLT) 19 “Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.” (NASB)

6. Romans 2:28-29 says, “For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”

7. Romans 3:1 says, “What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?”

8. Romans 4:9-12 says, ”9 “Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. 11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also: 12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.”

9. Acts of the Apostles 21:21 says, “And they are informed of you, that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.”

So Paul was not speaking against all Law, but he was speaking against going back to the Law of Moses to be saved because circumcision was something of the Old Law and not the New Law given to us by Jesus Christ and His followers. Granted, I am not saying we are saved by "Works Alone Salvationism" (without God's grace). We are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace. The good a Christian does is by the power of the Lord working in them (after they are saved by God's grace). No believer can claim to do good works apart from God. The Lord saves both in Justification and in Sanctification. But we have to cooperate with God. God is not going to force salvation upon us.

Narrow is the way that leads unto life, and few be there that finds it.
Ask yourself. Does your way sound like the narrow way? Or do most Bible believing churches these days believe that salvation is by just having a belief alone in Jesus?

• Agree
Reactions: Dorothy Mae
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sure, we try, and fail, and we're sorry after the fact, which is based on the Law.
We can not earn our salvation. God is our righteousness. That's his Gift of Grace.

Jesus taught us that sin can separate us from God (See Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62).

Paul says if any man does not consent (does not agree) with the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

James 4:6 says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is simply not true. Not all sin is the same. Please show me a place in the Bible where God condemns us for disobeying Christ's command to "Rejoice when we are persecuted" as per Matthew 5.

All sin is the same in that:
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death
Romans 3:23 For all have sinned...
Romans 3:10 As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one;
Ecclesiastes 7:20 Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.
Hebrews 10:12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins...
James 4:17 So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

So, we all sin, we all deserve the "benefits" for sinning - death, and Jesus died to save us from all sin. I don't see much point in trying to differentiate them.
They all pay the same wages.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus taught us that sin can separate us from God (See Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, Luke 9:62).
Of course it can.
That doesn't mean every mistake or failure nullifies our salvation.
Paul says if any man does not consent (does not agree) with the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

Pelagianism is a good example of foolish pride.
Those who repent are humble because they realise God is our Righteousness, not our works and behaviour.
Repentance, good works and behaviour are FRUITS of the Faith.
Consider what Paul says about not doing what he wants and doing what he does not want to walk with God.
What does that mean? It means that even when we try to do good, which we should, we're still rebellious.
Even thinking of murdering someone makes us murderers.
Even thinking of adultery makes us adulterers.
So, without Grace, Forgiveness and Salvation we will die, not live.

• Winner
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
His will is that NO ONE perish, not just certain ones. And not everyone is stumbling through.
Those who know the future are much better off than the rest of us. Granted.
With God, all will be saved. Without God, not so good a result.
See Post #21

Those without faith are not saved in spite of the work Jesus did for all.

Mark 10:52
And Jesus said to him, “Go your way; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him on the way.

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your picture of God is one who gives no time to repent but immediately damns the sinner. This is not the testimony of those who wrote that God gives time to repent before judgement. You insist on instant judgement. So yes we disagree. God gives time for the sinner to repent.
That is not the bit I asked you to consider. I said which statements and will be glad to point them out later.

I am not saying that a believer is not given time to repent. But there are times that this was not so (like with Ananais and Sapphira). This does not mean they are saved while they are abiding in that grievous sin. It's why they need to repent. So as to be forgiven (saved) again. Otherwise there is no purpose or reason to repent. 1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course it can.
That doesn't mean every mistake or failure nullifies our salvation.

Not all sin is the same. There are commands in the Bible that are not attached with severe consequences to our souls if we disobey them. But there are certain sins that are mentioned that can cause a loss of salvation. Otherwise it would be absolute pure non-sense that the Bible would warn us against certain sins in how they can destroy a person's soul. To ignore this is to ignore the Bible. Yes, there is mercy and grace. A person can confess and forsake grievous sin. But if they don't do that, they are not forgiven (saved).

Pelagianism is a good example of foolish pride.

I believe in Prevenient Grace.
God draws us, and we respond of our own free will.
Without God's drawing, we would not be able to come to Him.
But God seeks all men to repent, so He draws all men to Him.

As for pride:

1 Timothy 6:3-4 says that if any man does not agree with the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing.

A person who is humble will not justify grievous sin with the thinking they are saved or good with God (Especially when the Bible condemns those sins).

Those who repent are humble because they realise God is our Righteousness, not our works and behaviour.
Repentance, good works and behaviour are FRUITS of the Faith.

A Biblical Case For Repentance:

At the heart, I believe the Bible teaches that repentance means, "Asking God for forgiveness" (Which of course naturally then leads to the "fruits of repentance", i.e. obedience to the Lord):

Important Note: While I may believe "Repentance" does involve to a certain degree a "change of mind" (like a person changing their mind about their old life of sin), I do not think "Repentance" exclusively means a “change of mind.”

Anyways, here are my ten points using Scripture showing that "repentance" means "asking God for forgiveness of sin."

#1. Acts 2:38,
The New Living Translation says in Acts 2:38 to "repent of your sins."
Douay Reheims says in Acts 2:38 to "Do penance."
New Life Version says in Acts 2:38 to "Be sorry for your sins"

#2. Luke 17:3 says, "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." This doesn't make any sense if "repent" means believe in Jesus (as some teach) or to have a change of mind about sin (as others teach) or to exclusively forsake sin. Yes, we are to forsake sin as a part of repentance but that comes later after repentance (Which is to ask God for forgiveness of our sin). For how can we reconcile with a brother if we do not say we are sorry vs. just going on about life as if we did nothing wrong?

#3. Jesus said in Matthew 12:41 that the Ninevites will rise up in Judgment against this generation because they repented at the preaching of Jonah. If you were to turn to Jonah chapter 3, you would be able to see in Jonah 3:6-10 that the King of the Ninevites had told his people to:

(a) Cry out to God (i.e. Repentance) (See Jonah 3:8).
(b) Turn from their sins or evil ways (i.e. The Natural Fruits of Repentance).​

#4. Matthew 3:6 (which then lines up with Matthew 3:8). Also, in Mark 1:4-5, it says John preached the "baptism of repentance" for the remission of sins (verse 4), and it then defines this "baptism of repentance" by saying they confessed their sins when they were baptized (verse 5).

#5. We see in Acts of the Apostles 8:22 a clear example of Peter telling Simon to "repent" of his wickedness in trying to pay for the Holy Spirit. Peter is telling Simon to make a prayer towards God. For Peter says that he should pray that God might forgive him. In other words, Peter is telling Simon to repent of a one time event of wickedness by way of prayer to GOD. This only makes sense if "repent" means to "ask for forgiveness."

#6. Ezekiel 14:6 says,
"Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols;" Repent makes the most sense here if a person is asking God for forgiveness by way of prayer instead of a person just believing in God. Naturally a person believes in God as their Savior if they are planning on forsaking their idols.

#7. We see repentance is the topic of discussion in Luke 15 (Luke 15:6) (Luke 15:10); This is then followed up by the "Parable of the Prodigal Son" with the son desiring to be reconciled with his father. We learn the WAY the Prodigal Son desired to be reconciled with his father when he said,

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants." (Luke 15:18-19).

In other words, the Prodigal Son was seeking forgiveness. This ties into the point of repentance in Luke 15:6 and Luke 15:10.

#8. Luke 10:13 says,
"Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes." This rules out the theory that repentance is exclusively forsaking sin. Granted, forsaking sin always follow true repentance (Asking God for forgiveness of one's sins) but forsaking sin is not repentance. The word "repented" here is describing a one time event because they "repented", sitting in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:6 we learn that the King of Nineveh sat in sackcloth and ashes. In Jonah 3:8, the King of Nineveh tells people to put on sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God (i.e. repentance): and then turn from their evil way (i.e. the fruits of repentance).

#9. John the Baptist says we are to bring forth fruits worthy of repentance (Luke 3:8). Fruits are deeds (or obedience to God). How can repentance be the same thing as the fruit? Is the fruit the same thing as the tree?

#10. Jeremiah 8:6 says, "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle." Here we see the word "repented of wickedness" tied with the words, "What have I done?" This is an acknowledgement of one's sin to God as a part of asking His forgiveness.

Notable Additional Verses that Deal with Repentance
(But They Do Not Use The Word "Repent" or "Repentance"):

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13).

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. (Luke 18:13-14).

Proverbs 28:13 says whosoever confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you don't know what you are talking about, as you have no idea where I am right now and what I am actively a part of.

Well, it's not solely about you. It's about what the Bible says. The Bible is true regardless of what you think you are going through or what you think is true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Consider what Paul says about not doing what he wants and doing what he does not want to walk with God.

In Romans 7:14-24, Paul is recounting his experience as a Pharisee before he became a Christian. Paul (Saul) is describing his experience of what it is like to struggle in keeping the Old Covenant Law that did not include Jesus Christ.

Here are 8 reasons in Scripture that show us that Paul is indeed talking as a Pharisee (recounting his past experience) and he is not talking in the present tense as a Christian in Romans 7:14-24.

#1. In Romans 7:6, Paul says we should serve in newness of the spirit and not the oldness of the letter (Which is the Old Law and not the New Testament Scriptures that were still being formed). We are told to SERVE. How do we serve? Do we just do our own thing? No. We follow God's commands in the New Testament. This talk of the Old Law is the context of verses 14-24.

#2. We are dead to the Law by the body of Jesus Christ (Romans 7:4). Would this be the Old Law or ALL law? 1 John 3:23 is a commandment that says we are to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. This is a New Covenant Law. So obviously we are not dead to this Law or Command. The Scriptures also say, "but now commandeth all men everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30). Are we dead to this Law? Surely not. Jesus said "repent or perish." (Luke 13:3). Peter told Simon to repent (by way of prayer to God) of his wickedness of trying to pay for the gifts of the Holy Spirit so that he may be forgiven (Acts 8:22). Sin is merely transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4). All this lets us know that men of God can break God's laws and they can be separated from GOD because of it. So surely some kind of Law of God is still in effect and has dire consequences for any person's soul who commits them. For Jesus said that if we do not forgive, we will not be forgiven by the Father (Matthew 6:15). If Jesus was talking to unbelievers, this would not make any sense. They would first need to accept Christ. So the only logical conclusion is that Jesus is talking to believers in Matthew 6:15. You do not forgive (i.e. you sin or break this law of God) and you will not be forgiven or saved. 1 John 3:15 says if you hate your brother you are like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in them. Again, you hate your brother (which can be a one time act) and you do not have eternal life. It's that simple. Also, Paul condemns circumcision several times. Galatians 5:2 is the biggest verse that condemns circumcision salvationism. Circumcision is an Old Covenant Law and it is not a New Covenant Law. Paul uses the word "law" when he speaks against circumcision. So we have to conclude that Paul is saying we are dead to the Old Covenant Law and not all Law. So again, this talk of the Old Law plays into verses 14-24.

#3. Paul says, "For without the law sin was dead." (Romans 7:8). He also says, "I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." (Romans 7:9). This type of saying is nonsensical from a present tense reading as an adult Christian. The only way it sort of works is if Paul is referring to himself as a baby who had no knowledge of God's laws yet. But there are two problem with even that interpretation. One, this view does not seem as consistent with the phrase, "For without the law sin was dead" because even though Paul as a baby did not have any knowledge of the Law yet, the rest of the adult world would have the Law and sin would still be alive to them. Second, Paul says, "And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me." (Romans 7:10-11). Okay, so if Paul grew up and became aware of the Law one day, how could the commandment be ordained to life at this point in his life? The commandment was ordained for life back in the time of the Law of Moses. Also, Paul found that "the commandment" was death unto him and that it slew him. There are no death penalties attached to the commands given to us under the New Testament. Death penalties are only associated with the Laws given to us in the Old Covenant. This is how the Law slew him. For breaking the Old Law could be a loss of his own physical life. So this is talking about the Old Law (and not all Law). So again, this talk of the Old Law plays into verses 14-24.

#4. Paul says, "But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful." (Romans 7:13). Okay. Let's break this down. Paul says, "But sin, that it MIGHT APPEAR SIN, works death in me." (Romans 7:13). Now, how can sin make it appear like it may not be sin? Well, if Jesus was raised and Saul (Paul) was still a Pharisee striving to obey the Old Law when the New Covenant Law was still in effect, the sin that Saul (Paul) was struggling with as a pharisee during that time would not really technically be sin in every case. For if Paul disobeyed certain Old Covenant laws while the New Covenant and it's laws were in effect, then Saul (Paul) is not really breaking any real commandments from God in every case. Hence, why Paul said, "...sin, that it MIGHT APPEAR (as) SIN." (Romans 7:13). The beginning of verse 13 is a foreshadow of what is to come in verses 14-24. Paul is stepping out for a brief moment as speaking as an Israelite living throughout history to speak of his condition as a Pharisee when he says, "...sin, that it might appear sin." In the second half of verse 13, Paul says, that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful." (Romans 7:13). This is saying that when God provided the written Law of Moses to his people, there would be a double accountability to keeping God's laws because they are written for all to see now. So an Old Testament saint would feel exceedingly sinful or guilty for breaking God's law back in the Old Testament times because he had in his possession a written down visual law clearly telling him what is right and wrong. So again, Paul is referring to the Old Law here and not all law. This talk of the Old Law plays into verses 14-24.

#5. Paul says in Romans 7:14 that he is carnal and is sold under sin; And yet in Romans 8:2, Pauls says he is free from sin. So unless Paul is contradicting himself, he is talking from two different perspectives.

#6. In Romans 7:25, Paul asks the question: "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" Asking this kind of question as a Christian does not seem consistent with Paul's following statement if he is already delivered thru Jesus Christ as a Christian. If a believer is delivered by Jesus, and is thankful of that fact, there would be no cry to ask any question that says, "Who shall deliver me from this body of death?"

#7. Here is the final nail in the coffin for this argument. Romans 8:3-4 says,
3 "For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." (Romans 8:3-4).

So which Law did God send His Son for so as to condemn sin in the flesh?
It was the Old Covenant Law.
For when Jesus died on the cross, the temple veil was ripped from top to bottom letting us know that the Old Testament laws were no longer valid because the Old Laws on the animal sacrifices and the priesthood were no longer acceptable.
Jesus Christ was now our Passover Lamb.
Jesus Christ was soon be our Heavenly High Priest (after He ascended to His father after His resurrection 3 days later) so He can be our mediator between God the Father and man.

Romans 8:4 says, "That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

This is saying that the righteous part or aspect of the Old Law can be fulfilled in us.

Paul says elsewhere,
8 "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law."
(Romans 13:8-10).

So loving your neighbor is the righteousness of the Old Law!
We fulfill this law by walking after the Spirit and not after the flesh (i.e. sin).

So we see a consistent theme here. The word "law" used in general (with no actual description attached to it) is in reference to the Old Law in Romans 7 and Romans 8. This helps us to understand that Paul is telling us his past experience or life as a Pharisee in struggling to keep the Old Law unsuccessfully because he did not have Jesus Christ yet (in verses 14-24).

#8. In addition, in Romans 8:2, we see the mention of how there are TWO laws. We also learn from this verse that keeping one of these Laws helps us to be set FREE from the other one.

In Romans 8:2, we see:

Law #1. - Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus.
This is a New Covenant Law that we are still under. What is this Law?
It is fulfilling the righteousness of the Law (i.e. to love your neighbor - Romans 13:8-10) by walking after the Spirit (See Romans 8:3-4).

Law #2. Sin and Death.
This is in reference to the Old Covenant Law as a whole (i.e. the 613 Old Testament Commands within the Torah). It is called the Law of Sin and Death because you could physically be put to death by not obeying this Law.​

What is the relationship of these two laws in Romans 8:2?

Keeping the New Law helps us to be free of the Old Law.
For there is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus who WALK not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. (Romans 8:1).

Source used for a small paragraph within this post:
Paul is not Talking about Himself: Why I take the "pre-Christian" Reading of Romans 7:14-25

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even thinking of murdering someone makes us murderers.
Even thinking of adultery makes us adulterers.

Correct, and it is possible to not hate and not lust with one's eyes if they abide in Christ and they pray and seek His help to overcome these sins. For with God, all things are possible. Romans 13:14 says put ye on the Lord Jesus and fulfill not the lusts of the flesh.

You said:
So, without Grace, Forgiveness and Salvation we will die, not live.

Grace is not a license to sin. Grace is a means to overcome sin. For the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness, and that we should live righteously, and godly in this present world (See Titus 2:11-12).

For the reason why Christ died was to make us holy, blameless (Ephesians 5:25-27), and zealous of good works (Titus 2:14).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Correct, and it is possible to not hate and not lust with one's eyes if they abide in Christ and they pray and seek His help to overcome these sins. For with God, all things are possible. Romans 13:14 says put ye on the Lord Jesus and fulfill not the lusts of the flesh.
Yeah, well i still lust and hate.
Can't even help it. I hate myself for it though.
Frankly, i don't believe any Christian is completely void of lust and hate.
It may not be triggered in them though. Depends on the surroundings too.
But we have a moral compass that keeps us in line most of the time.
We repented, so we choose to use that moral compass.
We try to be better, because Grace is not a free ticket to sin.
Grace is there to save us, for indeed, the wages of sin is death.
But, John 3:16.
Grace is not a license to sin. Grace is a means to overcome sin.
I would say it is the way to SURVIVE sin.
It is Jesus who OVERCAME sin, and died on our behalf.
John 3:16 again.
For the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness, and that we should live righteously, and godly in this present world (See Titus 2:11-12).

For the reason why Christ died was to make us holy, blameless (Ephesians 5:25-27), and zealous of good works (Titus 2:14).
Well, i'm not holy, and neither are you.
We are JUSTIFIED by the Blood of the Lamb.
This means that in the Eyes of the Lord we are sinners no more, even if we still are while living in this fleshy vessel.
Why do you think Paul said "O wretched man am i..." (not the actual quote, but words to that effect) "Who will free me from this body of death?"

Jesus explained to Nicodemus we have to be born again.
We are still in the flesh, but we look forward to leaving that state of being and being raised again.
THEN we will be holy.

Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus says if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15).
That does NOT mean that when we Love God we should place ourselves under the Law again.
It means good works and behaviour are FRUITS of the Faith.
Good works and behaviour are INDICATIVE of our salvation.

Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The wages of any sin, is death.
But thanks for the notice.
The sin is strong with this one.

People take note...it's responses like this that indicate an unregenetate heart. People who are regenerated don't sweep blatant sin under the "all sin is sin" rug. Actual Christians are crucified to all things and CANNOT go on sinning! Are you fornicating? Get saved! Cussing? Get saved! Boozing? Get saved! inappropriate content? Get saved! Love money and matetial things? Get saved! Love TV and secular entertainment? Get saved! Come out of Egypt and forsake the passing pleasures of sin! Be ye holy!

Upvote 0

Sam81

Jesus is everything
Sep 12, 2016
Texas
✟27,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Figleaves R Us?

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The sin is strong with this one.

People take note...it's responses like this that indicate an unregenetate heart. People who are regenerated don't sweep blatant sin under the "all sin is sin" rug. Actual Christians are crucified to all things and CANNOT go on sinning! Are you fornicating? Get saved! Cussing? Get saved! Boozing? Get saved! inappropriate content? Get saved! Love money and matetial things? Get saved! Love TV and secular entertainment? Get saved! Come out of Egypt and forsake the passing pleasures of sin! Be ye holy!
Hmmm... Or maybe you have little faith in God's forgiveness?
Try to earn your salvation by works maybe..
I don't know...
"Who claims he does not sin, the Truth is not in him."

Upvote 0