• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

want to name your obsessions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
As a child I had violent thoughts against pets, family members, and my toys. I can remember being on my back looking at my favorite stuffed dog and then suddenly choking it but then stopping it and crying, saying I was sorry. That's one of the few times I acted out on it.

Years went by and I started going to church at about 9 or 10.

By 14 it had started to shift towards being about the Bible or God. I couldn't read it without bad thoughts coming into my mind. I would sit in my room or in the bathroom crying and asking God to make me better. Then I began to worry that the reason God wouldn't make me better was because I was the Anti-Christ and there was no hope for me. This went on until about 20 when I started taking medication after dropping out of college due to this.

The meds weren't strong enough so I was only half-nuts with OCD which they still hadn't diagnosed. It had became less about insulting God as to questioning Him, as I couldn't understand why Jesus let this happen, and so I was constantly reading online and at the library about apologetics. This lasted until lately. I'm now dealing with "Do I really believe in Him?" syndrome. I know God and Jesus are true, but the question is, do I really believe or not. It's hard to explain, but it's painful.

Upvote 0

powerofprayer

I will praise Him in this storm.....
May 12, 2006
Georgia
✟16,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow, Let's see...I have strange eating habits...like first I eat all the noodles, then the veggies, then the meat - never mix foods. Once finished, I won't go back & eat anything else even if I'm still hungry! Everything must be symmetrical. Everything must have a place - I hate clutter. Everything must be organized. The curtains must be equal. I clean, clean, clean. I am a nail biter. I constantly replay conversations over & over in my head. I read & re-read paragraphs. I rewrite all of my notes so they are neat & organized. I'm a list maker...I make a list of lists that I need to make!! My showers are very ritualistic. If my prayers are interrupted, I have to start all over. I ask Jesus into my heart & ask for salvation every night (I guess in case He hasn't heard me the past 10,000 nights!!). I have magical thinking (which is the power to protect people with my thoughts) or at least I like to think I do. My list goes on and on and on.................

Upvote 0

steelmagnolia

Apr 20, 2004
South Eastern Coast
Visit site
✟16,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Germs and Food borne cross contamination.

I do not eat ground hamberger meat or fresh vegies (vegies steamed or cooked only and I won't let my kids eat raw vegies or ground hamburger meat either).

I scrub the daylights out of apples and oranges.

Let me tell you that I get very uncomfortable if the super market check out is dirty or wet because I immediatly feel like some raw meats must have leaked onto the checkout area where I want to put MY FOOD.

Basically, it all boils down to contamination/germs.

With luvox and using what I learned 9 years ago in cognitive behavioral therapy I can say I'm about 90% better.

Upvote 0

beth34

Jul 20, 2006
South
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not diagnosed with OCD, but I know I have some tendencies. I wash my hands a lot. Also, lots of times before I eat or drink, I have to spit. I know that's disgusting, but....

Also, if I lock a door, I have to check that it is really locked and I will check several times until I am satisfied that it is locked.
I have not been diagnosed with OCD and have never really thought about it much, until today - I saw The Tyra Banks Show and that's what the show was about. I do a lot of the things some of her guests were talking about. My strange ways come out at bedtime. I know the doors are all locked but I re-check them about 3 times. I know my kids ceilings fans are off and their closet lights are off but I check them 3 or 4 times too. And even the refridgerator door-I know it's closed, but I have to open and close it about 5 times "just to make sure". Same thing goes for the stove. Do I sound like I have OCD, or am I just a paranoid person!!! Can you do things like this and not have OCD? Oh well, any comments greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Alidar Jarok

Site Supporter
May 6, 2006
✟10,564.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I have OCD. I am all about evenness. Everything has to be even. I have to have things on a table in some sort of pattern of evenness, I have to touch my fingers and feet together evenly, I have to bite down evenly, there is a lot of evenness. Also, 5's. So either multiples of 2 or 5, and I am decent. 10 is a good number. Doesn't happen all the time, but usually it happens. I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, but I tried to explain to the best of my ability. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.