• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

want to name your obsessions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
gee... looks around and sees empty forum:clap: we got a couple new forums!! *rolls around in the space*

:angel: hi, i'm dee. i have OCD. i have many little ticks. a few big ones. mostly you'd not not unless i'm having a bad day. boy then you know. anyway, i've been through therephy and treated for everything under the sun... ^_^ ok... almost.
it's just so good to have somewhere to talk!! :clap: thankx Erwin!!

Daysoni

****See me, Hear me, Hold me.****
Jan 7, 2006
Tillamook
✟12,061.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello to my Sunny Dee,

I am Daysoni and I to have been diagnosed with multiple things. One being OCD. Some times it takes up most of my day. I do things to certain numbers, clean :doh: fiantically, Tv's and stereo's need to be turned to certain places, orginization, orginization, and if I'm even remotely late or one of my friends is I will cancel. Every thing has a place and a time and needs to be done in a number pattern:doh:

Upvote 0

Soulwings

A true original.
Apr 7, 2003
Northeastern USA.
✟25,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I used to be a lot worse, I think. Numbers were a big thing. Everything had to be an even number ... :doh:

Lately its just gotten to more of rituals. Rituals with eating, how I do stuff in the morning. And Im a perfectionist. Hehe.

Im not terribly OCD but Im here to give support, cos my family has it in certain degrees, and I understand what its like, and how debilitating it can be. :hug:

Upvote 0

akagordon

Apr 5, 2004
✟633.00
Faith
Protestant
Let's see.... I was diagnosed as having O.C.D. when I was pretty young (kindergarden) so I've learned to control most things, or at least focus them elsewhere. I constantly have obsessions still but only a few compulsions. One would be doing my homework over and over again until I feel I can do any problem in the section without any trouble, and then I do it again. I still wash my hands a lot. I'm a percussionist and whenever I practice I actually measure out everything and practice until I can play everything perfectly over and over for about half an hour or more. I also count my money a lot and balance my bank account all the time. I also have psariasis and I'm constantly medicating my hands. That's pretty much all my compulsions now.

Upvote 0

bumblebee62331

Oct 12, 2005
✟37,794.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I haven't been diagnosed but I am pretty obsessive compulsive. I am a nail biter which is apparently an OCD... did you all know that? I didn't! :scratch:

Also, things have to be even - numbers, pain, everything. If I stub my left toe, I have to stub my right toe so the pain feels symmetrical. If I scratch my right cheek, I have to scratch my left. :doh:

I am a perfectionist. I write notes in class and then I get home and write them out again. If I make a mistake, or if it doesn't look perfect, I will write them out again. Even if I am two words from the bottom of the page, I will start all over again. It takes a lot of time.

Also, I do weird things like shake bottles before I drink (yes, even soft drink, I just can't help it :doh:) and I jiggle when I sit down because I don't like feeling still. I guess that's not OCD. Maybe none of these things are? I don't know lol. I'm just weird. :)

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't been diagnosed but know that I have some OCD traits. I can normally keep things under control, but under times of stress, I have great difficulties.

Some of my little quirks while under stress are that I blink a lot, if look and see one hand or part of a hand or arm, I have to make sure I see the other one just as much and if I see it too much more than the first, then I have to go back for a make up. This can go on until I realize what I'm doing and force a stop.

I'm also an overachiever and perfectionist. I purposely don't over clean my house as that was one of my mom's problems and I don't want that one LOL

There are a few more odd things I do but that's all for now :)

Upvote 0

full_of_faith

Apr 9, 2006
✟8,554.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
goldenviolet said:
gee... looks around and sees empty forum:clap: we got a couple new forums!! *rolls around in the space*

:angel: hi, i'm dee. i have OCD. i have many little ticks. a few big ones. mostly you'd not not unless i'm having a bad day. boy then you know. anyway, i've been through therephy and treated for everything under the sun... ^_^ ok... almost.
it's just so good to have somewhere to talk!! :clap: thankx Erwin!!
I'm not diagnosed with OCD, but I know I have some tendencies. I wash my hands a lot. Also, lots of times before I eat or drink, I have to spit. I know that's disgusting, but....

Also, if I lock a door, I have to check that it is really locked and I will check several times until I am satisfied that it is locked.

Upvote 0

GaelSong

gaelstrom
Sep 24, 2004
✟50,702.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I have trouble with having to check things. I have to double check the iron's off or the front door is closed. I have a ritual in the morning and at dinner time. If we go out or have people over I get anxious that my routine is out of wack. I also have that jerkiness when sitting but think it's more to do with my bi-polar than OCD. I cant think of any others at the moment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoyWillCome

The hair is adorable, I don't deny that.
Mar 4, 2005
Minnesota
Visit site
✟12,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was diognosed with OCD when I was in fith grade. I'm doing better now but i did struggle with depression and cutting but I've been inproving on that too (I havent cut for about a month). My relationship with God helped a lot.

Upvote 0

luv4godremains

Apr 13, 2005
✟2,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have quite a few things really! lol, I swear I've been diagnosed with almost everything under the sun from one time to another! lol
when it comes to my OCD, it's mainly counting and cleaning.
When I do refreshments at church, it takes me about 5 times as long as everyone else to pack down, and I don't even go into the service cos I'm always cleaning the surfaces and tables!
I have enough trouble sleeping as it is without the fact that I HAVE to count for either 5 or 15 minutes along to the seconds, depending how anxious I feel.
and I dunno if this is part of it or not, but I am always feeling afraid of doing anything, like, I can't get changed without making sure all of my body is covered while I'm getting changed or whatever cos I'm always afraid of there being cameras everywhere (I know, a childish conspiracy theory type thing, I really do need to get over it! lol)
but it's great that there's a forum for OCD now cos there's somewhere for us to talk!
And it's nice for us to know we aren't alone in it! about 1 in 100 people have OCD it turns out, so it's also nice to know that for most peopel who go to public school, or work in larger organisations or whatever, there will generally be at least one other person in that year/place that has the same problem! :) (sorry for babbling!)

Reactions: GaelSong
Upvote 0

shamsweedo

Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
Indianapolis
✟8,970.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have quite a few little things, like being a huge perfectionist, (I do the whole rewriting notes also!). Everything has to be even or symmetrical: If I chew with one side of my mouth for 2 chews, I half to do the same with the other.
Alot of mine stem from everything being even. I have to have everything in 4's. Like, if I have M&M's I have to separate them into groups of four of each color. If I scratch one leg or I have to bite each nail at the same spot, I have to do the exact same to the other, I also have to have things like the volume on the radio or television on numbers that end with zero or 5.
It all makes sense in my head. whew!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jazzcat7

May 3, 2006
✟7,658.00
Faith
Pentecostal
:wave: I'm new round here.
I watched Oprah once and I have signs of OCH obsessive compulsive hoarder I think it was called.
Alot of it lined up. I'm a perfectionist. But I get to the point where it's like if I clean up my room it's not going to be to my standards so why try. Or the mess is overwhelming. Or I begin to clean and then find items that take me on tangents... I have SO MUCH TROUBLE throwing things away. Even trivial things. It's like will I need it for something in 6 months and regret throwing it away. Or will I want to read it again. I get quite upset when my Mum pushes me to clean up. Because I can't cope sometimes with how I am going to get everything the way it needs to be. I'm maybe not quite as extreme as some they showed on Oprah but I don't have a house yet. It's like God help me!

I would be interested to know if there are any others out there that are OCH?

Blessings Jazzcat7!

Upvote 0

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
my mom does. i do on clothes & shoes only. oddly is not OC though... i lost things growing up. so it's from that. but my mom really hoards. her house is a treasure cove of her toys. she's always arranging them too. her, "cleaning-things-out" has a meaning all it's own. :)...

Upvote 0

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
when growing up these are some of the things I did:

always stepped the same amount of steps on each sidewalk slab.

if music was playing or was in my head, I had to move in rhythm with it.

i like symmetry. Still do. Not to the extent as before though. Nothing I do to my body has to be even... I've noticed some have to have this.

I have all kinds of routines, but it's not unhealthy or compulsive. And I don't mind if they get changed. some of them are :how I shower, how I eat cereal...

I bite my nails, but I always have and I don't really care anymore.

so that's some of it :) I'm just learning about OCD and its different ways of affecting people.

Upvote 0

Hello There

Apr 28, 2005
Parkes, NSW
✟15,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I get paranoid about certain numbers, I get repetitive impulses to make promises to God, I get blasphemous thoughts against God, I get impulses to make curses, I get paranoid ideas about God etc.

Eirene said:
always stepped the same amount of steps on each sidewalk slab.
That used to happen to me quite a bit, it made me look rather wierd.

Reactions: GaelSong
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.