Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was writing on "Prepping" not normal hunting. I would never use a .22 on a deer unless I needed to feed my family

The .22 is the favorite of poachers; cheap, quiet.

• Agree
Reactions: Berean Tim
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For self defense: 9mm Glock 17
Small game: .22 Ruger 10/22 with a few upgrades
Larger game: 5.56 and get a .223 wylde chambered rifle. It can handle the higher 556 pressures but is more accurate than a 556 chamber.
Keep it simple, these 3 calibers will cover everything.

I have a Ruger 10/22, with Sporter stock, Leopold 2x6 .22 scope, leather sling, beautiful gun..love it. However for a long hunting day I like a lighter rifle, such as the Remington Fieldmaster .22.

My deer rifle is a Browning Micro A-bolt in .243 topped with a Leopold 2x6 scope, plus additional recoil pad (even the .243 has too much recoil for me). Of course when hunting I don't feel the recoil at all but shooting off the bench I do. It's shorter length makes it great for hunting from my tree stand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2021
Charleston WV
✟8,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This forum is on "Prepping" not normal conditions. It's about survival
Hi, I am new here but am getting long in the tooth. You make it clear you are new to the challenge you are asking about. With that in mind, keep it simple. Shotgun for smaller game and a rifle for larger. You are not a hunter. So while not my pick for me, you will probably be hunting by opportunity. You will encounter more small game at closer ranges and larger game at longer distance. Not having the practice those longer shots will be very iffy, so leave them alone. An over and under in 223/5.56 minimum for medium sized game (I like bigger) but recoil might be a problem for you. The shotgun maybe a 20 gauge. Again recoil. The gun is very simple to operate. If I may suggest a 20 gauge pump shot gun for the house. In times of stress actually hitting something to protect your family will be difficult. That and almost 100% of the time just the sound of racking the action will have most quickly leaving.

Upvote 0

Berean Tim

Mar 19, 2017
Houston TX
✟146,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I am new here but am getting long in the tooth. You make it clear you are new to the challenge you are asking about. With that in mind, keep it simple. Shotgun for smaller game and a rifle for larger. You are not a hunter. So while not my pick for me, you will probably be hunting by opportunity. You will encounter more small game at closer ranges and larger game at longer distance. Not having the practice those longer shots will be very iffy, so leave them alone. An over and under in 223/5.56 minimum for medium sized game (I like bigger) but recoil might be a problem for you. The shotgun maybe a 20 gauge. Again recoil. The gun is very simple to operate. If I may suggest a 20 gauge pump shot gun for the house. In times of stress actually hitting something to protect your family will be difficult. That and almost 100% of the time just the sound of racking the action will have most quickly leaving.
I don't understand what I made "clear" to you. You made a statement "You are not a hunter" you are wrong. You also are concerned about the effect of recoil on me.
How did you come to this conclusion ?

Perhaps you responded to the wrong post ?

I prefer a pistol for home defense, currently I use the Taurus Judge. I can load for almost any condition. I do have .45 and 9mm if needed.

Your suggestions are fair, but you should give them to a group

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2021
Charleston WV
✟8,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand what I made "clear" to you.
Your original post. "After many, many years of thinking about it I decided to take the course to get my gun permit and hunting license...While I wait I'm doing some research on practical calibers for small and medium size/predator size game... I'm not sure if that is a good question or not having no experience with hunting."
You are asking questions as someone with no experience and little 1st hand knowledge. In some states you need a class to get a carry permit but not all so let's take that out of discussion. As far as recoil most who have not shot a rifle or shotgun have (at first) adverse reaction to recoil. Personally for hunting medium and larger game I favor 30 caliber cartridges but most are not put off by 223/556 recoil although it takes good shot placement on medium sized game. Also I prefer a 12 gauge shotgun.
Next unless you are and excellent shot with a pistol don't use it for home defense. It takes a while to develop the muscle memory for stressful situations and only practice and time will develop that.

Upvote 0

Berean Tim

Mar 19, 2017
Houston TX
✟146,731.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your original post. "After many, many years of thinking about it I decided to take the course to get my gun permit and hunting license...While I wait I'm doing some research on practical calibers for small and medium size/predator size game... I'm not sure if that is a good question or not having no experience with hunting."
You are asking questions as someone with no experience and little 1st hand knowledge. In some states you need a class to get a carry permit but not all so let's take that out of discussion. As far as recoil most who have not shot a rifle or shotgun have (at first) adverse reaction to recoil. Personally for hunting medium and larger game I favor 30 caliber cartridges but most are not put off by 223/556 recoil although it takes good shot placement on medium sized game. Also I prefer a 12 gauge shotgun.
Next unless you are and excellent shot with a pistol don't use it for home defense. It takes a while to develop the muscle memory for stressful situations and only practice and time will develop that.
Not sure what questions you say I'm asking. The only questions I asked was how you came to your conclusions about me. My Father taught me to shoot and hunt from the age of 5, I'm 64 now. I started deer hunting with a 30-30, I now use a 6mm/243. I would not use a 223/556 for deer, 65-80 grain bullet is way too small for me.

I live in an apartment the longest shot I would have to make is 10 FT. My pistol skills are good at that range.

I run in to people on various sites who start arguments just to waste your time. I mostly read and write on "end times" I hope you're not one of those, but saying things like "You are asking questions as someone with no experience and little 1st hand knowledge." is not from my postings.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2021
Charleston WV
✟8,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
[QUOTE="
I run in to people on various sites who start arguments just to waste your time. I mostly read and write on "end times" I hope you're not one of those, but saying things like "You are asking questions as someone with no experience and little 1st hand knowledge." is not from my postings.[/QUOTE]
Peace.

Reactions: Berean Tim
Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey folks,

After many, many years of thinking about it I decided to take the course to get my gun permit and hunting license. There is a backlog for the course so I'll likely not get in until September or October. While I wait I'm doing some research on practical calibers for small and medium size/predator size game, something big enough to drop a small hog, but won't blow a massive hole through a jackrabbit. I'm not sure if that is a good question or not having no experience with hunting.

Also, any practical advise on rifle purchasing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jm

.22 long rifle is a good place to start. while you can take a hog, it will have to be a head shot or a 12 body shots if he is amped up charging you. i hunt and kill and dispatch farm animals and things like possums and coon with this caliber all the time and it is not very loud.

.22 magnum will take down larger animals as not your round is doing concussive damage. recommend up to deer size

.223 which is more or less the same slug size as your 22. it is longer and a little heavier, with a lot more powder. this is a med range round that has killed everything that has walked on the planet.

you can shot any or all of these from the same AR platform just by changing the bolt carrier group (one gun four different rounds) as it will be able to shoot .223 and the 5.56 nato round which is combat effective/what our troops shoot in war time. or slide out the bolt, and slid in a 22 carrier group and now you are shootin the .22lr out of the same ar-15. for about .05 cents a round.

or you can buy lever actions or even bolt actions but will have to get three different rifles.

Got any questions let me know i am a gun smith/gun shop owner, 30 year hunting

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums