Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hey folks,

After many, many years of thinking about it I decided to take the course to get my gun permit and hunting license. There is a backlog for the course so I'll likely not get in until September or October. While I wait I'm doing some research on practical calibers for small and medium size/predator size game, something big enough to drop a small hog, but won't blow a massive hole through a jackrabbit. I'm not sure if that is a good question or not having no experience with hunting.

Also, any practical advise on rifle purchasing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jm

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'll be interested in the replies too. I've seen a 22 used for dropping birds and even a meat goat and a small bull dropped quickly with a 22 shot to the head - put down for meat. I would think it would be useful on groundhogs. I've considered what to do with my backyard groundhog. So far, watching that huge momma stand there whistling to call her kits home has delayed any action on my part as it reminded me of my mom back in the day. Mom's whistle could reach the entire neighborhood! Seeing that big momma groundhog was quite the site. I'm in active and acknowledged denial and find myself hoping they'll just move away.

• Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've considered what to do with my backyard groundhog. So far, watching that huge momma stand there whistling to call her kits home has delayed any action on my part as it reminded me of my mom back in the day. Mom's whistle could reach the entire neighborhood! Seeing that big momma groundhog was quite the site. I'm in active and acknowledged denial and find myself hoping they'll just move away.

Maybe you can encourage them to move by running a lawnmower over their den for several minutes? Or maybe give them time to grow up? You can always use them for target practice if they get to be a problem later...

• Informative
Reactions: Greengardener
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I recently did a little shooting and agree the shotgun is a good choice for many reasons. We were using slugs and had a blast, not to mention, they are fairly cheap to buy. We also used a .22LR which is a lot of fun. I'll likely buy one of each.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently did a little shooting and agree the shotgun is a good choice for many reasons. We were using slugs and had a blast, not to mention, they are fairly cheap to buy. We also used a .22LR which is a lot of fun. I'll likely buy one of each.

That could be a good plan. Buying one of each would give you a lot of versatility and neither one needs to be very expensive. (They do have "over/under" guns that have both a shotgun and 22 combined, but I wouldn't suggest them because they are only single shot and don't tend to be that accurate.) Also I would suggest a 12 gauge for ultimate flexibility though maybe a bit of kick.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey folks,

After many, many years of thinking about it I decided to take the course to get my gun permit and hunting license. There is a backlog for the course so I'll likely not get in until September or October. While I wait I'm doing some research on practical calibers for small and medium size/predator size game, something big enough to drop a small hog, but won't blow a massive hole through a jackrabbit. I'm not sure if that is a good question or not having no experience with hunting.

Also, any practical advise on rifle purchasing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jm

Rossi makes a few models that come with two barrels. They are easy to change. That way you can have a rifle and shotgun. A 22 long rifle hp round will take down just about anything but not so much at a distance.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OP, pistol calibers are not so fast and powerful as a rifle caliber. So maybe a pistol caliber in a lever action rifle. Like a 357 would be good for a small hog or a ground hog at close range. Small kick and enough penetration. Just buy good expanding ammo like a hollow point or soft point. They will allow a scope too for better accuracy.
Just go in the gun shop and pick what you want, fill out the papers, pay your money and I don’t know how long the wait time is now. Used to be 10 days. They give you a back ground check which you have to pay for. Then you pick it up and have to lock it in a case and take it home. You can buy ammo at the same time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For self defense: 9mm Glock 17
Small game: .22 Ruger 10/22 with a few upgrades
Larger game: 5.56 and get a .223 wylde chambered rifle. It can handle the higher 556 pressures but is more accurate than a 556 chamber.
Keep it simple, these 3 calibers will cover everything.

• Agree
Reactions: JM and Resto
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Resto

Nov 13, 2020
?
✟2,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
For self defense: 9mm Glock 17
Small game: .22 Ruger 10/22 with a few upgrades
Larger game: 5.56 and get a .223 wylde chambered rifle. It can handle the higher 556 pressures but is more accurate than a 556 chamber.
Keep it simple, these 3 calibers will cover everything.
I like the 1 in 7 Wylde Barrels also. I put them on all my "Builds".

Upvote 0

Plain-Complicated

Feb 11, 2021
Savannah
✟8,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi JM, I think I'm proabably late to the party. First off, let me say that you chose quite a time to seek guns and ammo! Good luck, and I feel your wallet's pain. My recommendation would be the good old SKS. It's a Canadian tradition. They are relatively cheap, rugged guns that you can then pass on to your children. They are chambered in 7.62x39, so you can take about any game with one although it would certainly be overkill on very small game where a .22 or birdshot would suffice. The SKS is first and foremost a weapon of war, so its effectiveness as a self-defence weapon goes without saying. 7.62x39 ammo has always been among the cheapest, and is still relatively "cheap" in today's market -- no to mention obtainable. Hope this helps someone.

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Practice ! Being a good shot will lower the need for multiple calibers. A deer can be taken with a well placed .22 round
I watched a man take out a bull (cattle) with a well placed .22.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Practice ! Being a good shot will lower the need for multiple calibers. A deer can be taken with a well placed .22 round

But not legally in most states.

• Useful
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

A .22 is not the best caliber for anything bigger than small game such as rabbits. Using a .22 on deer has a high chance of a non-fatal result; the animal will suffer needlessly.

• Agree
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm an "old-timer". IMHO the best all-around calibers are either a 30-06 or a .270 Either one can be found in a variety of bullets suitable for everything from small game to very large game such as deer, elk, etc.

Upvote 0

Berean Tim

Mar 19, 2017
Houston TX
✟146,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A .22 is not the best caliber for anything bigger than small game such as rabbits. Using a .22 on deer has a high chance of a non-fatal result; the animal will suffer needlessly.
I was writing on "Prepping" not normal hunting. I would never use a .22 on a deer unless I needed to feed my family

Upvote 0