Useful books / journals and web-sites that relate to the Messianic Movement

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Another good read:

Sabbath to Sukkot: Rest to Restoration. Holmes, S. (2011) - download freely here.

Steve

Another one I'd add would be a really interesting and amazing book I thought I'd let others know on - by Daniel Boyarin called The Jewish Gospels.

61MLnJULGdL._SX342_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Boyarin's scrupulously illustrated account argues that the coming of the Messiah was fully imagined in the ancient Jewish texts...and that Jesus, moreover, was embraced by many Jews as this person, while his core teachings were not at all a break from Jewish beliefs and teachings. The book focuses on how theJews expected a divine ‘Son of Man’ saviour to emerge out of Israel, based on their understanding of the prophecy in Daniel of the Ancient of Days. The Jewish world (specifically those who don't believe in Yeshua) have been praising the work of this one Jewish scholar for noting the fact that a Divine Messiah really isn't against Judaism - and eyes seem to be opening to the thought that Messianic Jews may know more on the Messiah than others have given them credit for:

Regathering seems to be on the rise like the Lord promised!!:)

Outside of that, one of the others which is very beneficial on Jewish study would be The Essential Talmud by Adin Steinsaltz
http://www.wisereader.com/2010/02/is-talmud-study-the-secret-to-jewish-success/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
This might be a useful book if you want to dip into the Mishnah - it was compiled in 1933 and published under the Oxford University Press imprint. It has now been re-published as below. The original Hebrew is better, but if you do not read Hebrew this might be worth your attention:

Ranby, Dr. H. The Mishnah (Peabody MA: Hendrickson Publishing, 1911) (Paperback version)

Guide price is about £45 in the UK

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone ever read 'Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life' by Lois Tverberg?
Good read..

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Another good read:

Sabbath to Sukkot: Rest to Restoration. Holmes, S. (2011) - download freely here.

Steve
You'd probably enjoy this read, Bruh (on the subject of restoration as well as seeing where things were always preserved in the Church when it comes to the Jewish Roots - and the ways Gentiles/Jews intermingled in the Early Church both being distinct and yet unified) ..by Raymond Robert Fischer entitled The Ways of the Way: Restoring the Jewish Roots of the Modern Church

There's also the work of Father James Bernstein who did an excellent study on the issue via his book Surprised by Christ.

For more:

Being Jewish himself and coming out of Modern Judaism after seeing the ways Orthodoxy echoed the Judaism of Christ's day/what the Hebrews advocated, Bernstein did some wonderful study on the subject. I found it amazing that one of the early J4Js (Jews for Jesus) Founders ended up an Orthodox priest, saying that Orthodoxy is more Jewish - something that's not really surprising since many Jewish believers have always desired a more Temple Like format with prayer/intercession - and for the former J4J leader as well as many others, it's significant to have a much more liturgical environment than what's found in most Messianic fellowships since they are influenced by much of the Evangelical Protestant culture that is not of a liturgically oriented venue.

Father Bernstein’s most valuable contribution in the book, to my mind, is an account of his quest to trace the history of the original Jewish Church in Jerusalem, headed by St. James. Studying sources from the New Testament to Justin Martyr’s Dialogue with Trypho the Jew to the 3rd and 4th century historians Eusebius and Epiphanius, to St. Jerome in the 5th century and onward. I was very thankful for much of what he noted when it came to Divine Liturgy and the ways it reflects the Temple era/Judaic heritage - as seen in Paul Antiochian Orthodox Church - The Divine Liturgy - Father James Bernstein .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Perhaps the powers that be might make it a Sticky, as CM suggested, so we have permanent list of useful material.

I don't know how they go about that.

Hi Heber!!!
How have you been? It's soo good to see you here!!
And now, would you concider those of us with vision problems? It took me, literally, not exagerating, a full 2+ minutes to finally make out your name, and the white on bluw is a killer.

Thanks, Cheri

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,276.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This is a very long string and maybe someone else has mentioned them already, but I have found Psalm 119 Ministries to be a wonderful source of information and insights. All their, very professionally done, videos are offered free and many are on Youtube, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
An excellent review of the Apostle Paul by Daniel Boyarin entitled "A Radical Jew: Paul and the Politics of Identity (A Radical Jew: Paul and the Politics of Identity - Daniel Boyarin - Google Books ) - as discussed in ", A Radical Jew: Paul and the Politics of Identity" ( Two Radical Jews a review article of Daniel Boyarin, A Radical Jew: Paul and the Politics of Identity by N.T. Wright )

As said best in review - more at Boyarin, Daniel. A Radical Jew: Paul and the Politics of Identity :

Paul's famous formulation, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, no male and female in Christ," demonstrates the genius of Christianity: its concern for all people. The genius of Judaism is its validation of genealogy and cultural, ethnic difference. But the evils of these two thought systems are the obverse of their geniuses: Christianity has threatened to coerce universality, while ethnic difference is one of the most troubled issues in modern history.

Boyarin posits a "diaspora identity" as a way to negotiate the pitfalls inherent in either position. Jewishness disrupts categories of identity because it is not national, genealogical, or even religious, but all of these, in dialectical tension with one another. It is analogous with gender: gender identity makes us different in some ways but not in others.

For an excerpt of it, one can go here:

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Jonathan Cahn is the New York Times best-selling author of The Harbinger, president of Hope of the World ministries and senior pastor and Messianic rabbi of the Jerusalem Center/Beth Israel in Wayne, New Jersey. His teachings are widely known for revealing the deep mysteries of God’s Word and for the restoring of the new covenant message to its Jewish richness and power.

The Mystery of the Shemitah: The 3, 000-Year-Old Mystery That Holds the Secret of America's Future, the World's Future, and Your Future!: Jonathan Cahn: 9781629981932: Amazon.com: Books

Upvote 0

kimmiemae

follower of Yeshua
Mar 26, 2011
✟9,376.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right now I am enjoying reading a book by Dr. Robert Heidler "The Messianic Church Arising" restoring the church to our covenant roots.

I also have started reading "Your People Shall Be My People" How Israel, the Jews, and The Christian Church Will Come Together in the Last Days by Don Finto.

Soon I will read "Return of the Remnant" the Rebirth of Messianic Judaism by Dr. Michael Schiffman.

Hope I am on the right track. Any thoughts? I am new at all of this as if I am in kindergarten.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Right now I am enjoying reading a book by Dr. Robert Heidler "The Messianic Church Arising" restoring the church to our covenant roots.

I also have started reading "Your People Shall Be My People" How Israel, the Jews, and The Christian Church Will Come Together in the Last Days by Don Finto.
That read by Don Finto is truly an excellent one :thumbsup: More was referenced on it elsewhere, as seen here and here/here

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Nov 22, 2014
✟15,111.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi I have been looking for facebook pages and groups that believe the whole bible is true, I found just a few but no groups, I finally started my own facebook group called The Whole Word of God, but I only have like 6 members i invited from my friends list but none of them are messianic jews so they just browse a bit but don't participate, i really like the facebook format so i was wondering if anyone knew of any good ones on there, i have posts from the ones i already found in my group, you can view there without joining, i'm hoping people here know some, thanks for your time, this is my first forum too so i will look through all these posts and see what you guys suggest, thanks again :wave:

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christianmedic, welcome to these forums.

I used to be part of a HUGE online discussion community called Faith Community Network. It included Crosswalk.com, Christianity.com, Crown Financial and several other web portals. About 2 years ago they migrated the entire thing to FB, but I refused to go. You can probably look them up. Their admin is Fred Alberti and you can reach him at fritz@salemwebnetwork.com

Tell em DaveW says Hi.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Found an excellent book from David Flusser, Jewish Sources in Early Christianity, online and free here.

51ldbgvzeil-_sy344_bo1204203200_.jpg

The late David Flusser was Professor of Comparative Religion at Hebrew University, Jerusalem.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);66195237 said:
That read by Don Finto is truly an excellent one :thumbsup: More was referenced on it elsewhere, as seen here and here/here

Don is a really great guy. He is on the Tikkun America board and as such my wife and I have gotten to know him over the years. She was given a signed copy of "Your People" before it actually hit the stores.

We have had several conversations including one about Michael W. Smith's Seder (the biggest in Nashville) and another about the Amy Grant divorce debacle. The congregaton he used to pastor in Nashville (Belmont Church) is the congregational home for almost the entire CCM industry there.

Upvote 0

mishkan

There's room for YOU in the Mishkan!
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2011
Germantown, MD
Visit site
✟40,950.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi I have been looking for facebook pages and groups that believe the whole bible is true, I found just a few but no groups, I finally started my own facebook group called The Whole Word of God, but I only have like 6 members i invited from my friends list but none of them are messianic jews so they just browse a bit but don't participate, i really like the facebook format so i was wondering if anyone knew of any good ones on there, i have posts from the ones i already found in my group, you can view there without joining, i'm hoping people here know some, thanks for your time, this is my first forum too so i will look through all these posts and see what you guys suggest, thanks again :wave:

Shalom!

I can recommend two FB discussion groups for you. I own one, called "Mishkan David". We have a couple hundred members. The focus there is on building unity within the Messianic body. I am also an admin for "Messianics". With 4400 members, the rules are a little tighter there, but the discussions are great!

You will see me on those groups with my actual name, David Negley.

Shalom, shalom!

Upvote 0