Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I related to you in a prior conversation how I enjoyed a year and a half study through the book of Revelation in a conservative Baptist church where we had futurists, historicists, partial preterists, etc. and we all compared notes, and learned from the Scriptures and each other. I took the view of not imposing a system, and trying to work out each passage for itself.

That would be difficult in an Adventist setting because most of those beliefs would be way outside of the Adventist norm, or frame of reference.

But without a stringent set of beliefs beyond the basics on salvation, Scripture, the Trinity, etc. you can have actual study of the text, without an outside authority imposing an interpretation, as is seen in practice with Ellen White.

If you disagree with Ellen White as an Adventist, you will either be quiet about it, or have conflict. But that means that you will usually not be free to study the Bible only for what it says, instead of within Adventist, for lack of a better term, tradition, and Ellen White.

I found that this same conservative Baptist church did not object to discussion of spiritual gifts, prophecy, tongues, or such issues as the Sabbath, or people observing Sabbath, or conditionalism, or various views on the state of the dead etc. That is not to say by any means that they didn't bring counter views, etc. But they were open to discussing the Scriptures.

In other words, they would compare views, challenge each other, learn from each other, and still get along fine.

They spelled out only a few essentials in regards to Scripture, The nature of God, etc. At the same time they took a conservative approach to biblical lifestyle issues.

I found that to be a wonderful experience. And I was also able to participate in ministry there without the issues I would have had in the Adventist church.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does the Bible say about homosexuality?

It appears you don't even believe in the Bible, or the love of God, or understand the sinfulness of sin and how it destroys people.

Gary, Adventist Heretic believes what the Bible says about homosexuality, and is opposed to the LGBT movement.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It appears you don't even believe in the Bible, or the love of God, or understand the sinfulness of sin and how it destroys people.

It appears you may want to slow down and understand someone's view before assuming it.

Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
which part is a flat out lie.
That Ellen White is the problem with the SDA church.

She taught love for all people, sinners and saints, and love supreme love for God. That tells us she both knew God on a personal level and loved as a result of that. She also lived that out in her life. She helped a lot of people with her money including taking in troubled kids from dysfunctional families giving them a place to live and paying for their education. So she did it long term which means she practiced what she preached. That is the mark of a genuine Christian, not a tool of the devil.

Joh_13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Rom_13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

No tool of Satan can live a life of love towards others as they reflect his attributes. You just don't like her because of her beliefs. She would not have treated you the way you treat her. She called ministers who were leading the church away from what she believed brothers in Christ.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, he does not agree with her beliefs, and in his opinion, if she were removed it would solve the problem.
I know, but her life is evidence of the genuineness of her love for God and her fellow man.

Here's something from Thoughts on the mount of Blessing for you that is evidence of her love for GTod and her fellow man.

His example is for us. When we are brought in conflict with the
enemies of Christ, we should say nothing in a spirit of retaliation or
that would bear even the appearance of a railing accusation. He who
stands as a mouthpiece for God should not utter words which even
the Majesty of heaven would not use when contending with Satan.
We are to leave with God the work of judging and condemning.
The love of God is something more than a mere negation; it is a
positive and active principle, a living spring, ever flowing to bless
others. If the love of Christ dwells in us, we shall not only cherish no
hatred toward our fellows, but we shall seek in every way to manifest
love toward them.
Jesus said, “If thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there remem-
berest that thy brother hath aught against thee; leave there thy gift
before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother,
and then come and offer thy gift.” The sacrificial offerings expressed
faith that through Christ the offerer had become a partaker of the
mercy and love of God. But for one to express faith in God’s par-
doning love, while he himself indulged an unloving spirit, would be
a mere farce.

So, are these the words of a legalist and someone used by Satan?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What are the significant theological differences between the different branches of Seventh-day Adventism? The following is a list of the Church's major theological and cultural divisions.

1. Traditionalist.
a. Traditional Seventh-day Adventism. also called Historics.
b. This group focuses on all the Writing of EGW. This is the Pre- 1950's version of Adventism. Whole sermons are preached exclusively from Ellen White's writings.
c. Major Advocates. Stephen Bohr. Our Firm Foundation, Steps to Life, John Oborn,.
Major Institutions: Independent Ministries. Heartland Hope International. Weimar, Independent Academy. Light bearers. in the 1980s and '90s, went through change now considered mainline
d. Major Publication & Media: Review and Herald. Pacific Press, Advent Source,
e. Major Theological issue. Last Generation Theology, Sinless perfection, Standing before God without an intercessor. Health message Salvation. In addition to Mainline Seventh Day Adventist Church Doctrines.

Historic Adventism - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org

2. Mainline (Conservative) Seventh-Day Adventist.
a. This is the main body, run by the General Conference of SDA and the Local Union & Conference.
b. focuses on 28 fundamentals & the church as the Remenant Church of Bible Prophecy, EGW used moderately, promotes EGW "Evangelistic" works. Steps to Christ, 5-volume Conflict of the Ages series, Ministry of Healing, Education, Christ object lessons, Thoughts from the Mount of Blessing. The Clearword Bible and Andrews University Study Bible.
c. Major Advocates: Ted Wilson, Doug Batchelor, Mark Finley, David Asherick Every Conference President, and Most Evangelist, Most pastors, Most Teachers.
en.wikipedia.org

Seventh-day Adventist Church - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org

3. Evangelical Seventh Day Adventist (SEA)
  1. This is the branch of the Church that traces its roots back to the Seventh-day Baptist Church and the Convocation of Nov 1, 1843. When the SDB church fasted and prayed for the resurrection of the Sabbath in Christianity. Rachel Oaks, Fredrick Wheeler, Thomas Prebble, the Farnsworth Brothers, J.N. Andrews, & Joseph Bates, J.H. Waggoner. founded the Sabbatarian Adventist Movement.
  2. Evangelicals believe the SDA church was hijacked by James & Ellen White and advocate for the removal of Ellen White as any kind of Authority in the SDA church and the Free study of the bible without consulting EGW. The Messenger Party, The Marion Party. 1888 conflict & the King of the North & King of the South confusion, were all divisions because of Ellen G. White.
  3. Major advocates: Most of the Theology professors in the SDA colleges & universities are in some way Evangelical. Desmond Ford and Robert Brimsmead, openly Challenged the traditional views. They would be welcome in this branch.
  4. Major Publication & Media - Adventist Theological Society, Perspectives magazine.
  5. Major Theological Issues:
I. The Removal of EGW as a prophet and theological Authority.
II. Sabbath as a sign of the 1000 years of Christ's reign on earth in Jerusalem.
III. Return of Isreal as a sign of the End time and Christ's Return.
IV.the Lord’s Day is an additional festival, established by the Apostles to define the difference between Jew & Christian. We advocate for this as the major day of evangelism for the church. As Sunday day evangelism day.
V. Solomon as a type of Christ & Anti-Christ. 666. Roman Catholic Church and Church/State Alliance with Rome fulfillment.
VI. Satan in the pit, chamber of Darkness for 1000 years
VII. Soul Sleep - You have a soul that will die and be asleep until Jesus comes unless you accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, then It will go to heaven upon Death.
VIII. Holy Health Care - We Advocate for Holy Health Care, the blessing of a healthy lifestyle, and a health care plan that focuses on healthy living. 3 John 1:2
IX. Prosparity - God has always wanted us to be “fruitful and multiply” which is the biblical expression for prosperity.
X. Evangelical View of the Sanctuary. The Sanctuary is a model of God’s original plan for humanity. The Holy Place is a model of the Garden of Eden on Earth. The Most Holy Place is a model of the Throne of God in Heaven. When Christ went to heaven, he instituted a new sanctuary, with the church being the New Holy Place, which makes the Church the New Garden of Eden on Earth. This shows that Christ, as the New Adam, is restoring What was lost at the fall of the First Adam.
Tarling, Lowell R. (1981). "Evangelical Adventists". The Edges of Seventh-day Adventism: A Study of Separatist Groups Emerging from the Seventh-day Adventist Church (1844–1980).
Are Adventists Evangelical?
Free Christian Devotionals & Courses By Good News Unlimited
Evangelica Magazine Evangelica - Wikipedia

4. Feast-keeping Seventh-day Adventist (FSDA)
  1. This is the messianic branch of the Church, they advocate for the keeping of the Jewish Festivals.
  2. Major Supporter - John Vandenberg.
  3. Major Publication & Media - Bible Exploration, Amazing Discoveries, Bible Exploration

Bible Explorations - Spreading the good news that we are the last generation and that Christ is coming very soon!
Feasts that Typify Christ's Second Coming: Passover, Unleavened Bread, Firstfruits, Trumpets, Atonement, Tabernacles

5. Liberal Seventh-day Adventist - Liberal
  1. This group is considered liberal over 2 basic issues
  2. Lifestyle/Cultural issues & Academic issues - Jewelry, drinking, dancing, Meat Eating, Movies going.
  3. Academic issue -
a liberal view of the bible, the bible a human origin.
b. scientific view, over biblical view,
B. Major Theological Issues - the bible as a product of the human mind. They adopt the atheist/liberal assumptions of examination of the Evidence & timelines.
Ellen White is a non-prophet. They do not hold to the Social Code of the SDA church called “Standards”, such as no jewelry, vegetarian/vegan, movie-going, secular concerts, dancing, and clubbing.

C. Major Advocates: John McLarty, Andy Nash, & J. David Newman.
D. Major Publication: Adventist Forums, Spectrum Magazine, Adventist Today (AT):

Adventist Today
Spectrum Magazine

Note: AT is a News Magazine. It appears liberal because of its broad reporting on events inside the SDA church from a neutral standpoint. That is not an indication of its theological viewpoint.

Note: A liberal may not exhibit all of these characteristics at the same time. To be considered Liberal, you need at least one or more.

Note: Liberal/Progressive: Liberal/Progressive SDA labels have undergone a revolution and swapped places. What was once considered liberal is now progressive and what is considered progressive is now considered liberal. This is primarily due to the lgbtq+ movement in Advent

6. Progressive Seventh-day Adventist - Progressive
  1. This branch is the newest. It follows the LGBTQ+ issues and the Social Justice issues of mainstream society.
  2. Major Issues are the Affirmation and inclusion of Gay people in the SDA church. Income equality, Living wage, homelessness, BLM, Defund the police.
  3. Major supporters. Chris Blake, Alicia Johnston, Brian Ness, Steven Chavez, Floyd Poenitz
  4. Major Publication & media - Connections, SDA Kinship International,

Home

SDA Kinship is a safe social and spiritual community for LGBTQIA+ current and former Seventh-day Adventists, their families, and those who support them.
sdakinship.org
sdakinship.org

Note: Progressive was a larger umbrella term for anything not mainline or traditional coined in the 1950’s. Many of the issues that were considered Progressive are Evangelical, Such as the use of Contemporary Christian Music, Leading with the Gospel, the use of the bible only in worship, and Systematic Preaching.

Note: Liberal/Progressive: Liberal/Progressive SDA labels have undergone a revolution and swapped places. What was once considered liberal is now progressive and what is considered progressive is now considered liberal. This is primarily due to the lgbtq+ movement in Adventism
I am not aware of any "Branches" at all in the Seventh-day Adventist denomination. There is only 1, only 1 statement of beliefs, only 1 general conference that votes on all of its doctrinal statements etc.

Even your own list makes SEA look like a branch off of the SDB denomination.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not aware of any "Branches" at all in the Seventh-day Adventist denomination. There is only 1, only 1 statement of beliefs, only 1 general conference that votes on all of its doctrinal statements etc.

if the SDA church were more like the SDB then it would not have the cult stigma. NO EGW

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't know if branches are the way to put it. But there are different unofficial sub-groups.

SEA seems a bit aspirational in this post.

But the SDB did influence the SDA Church in the early period.

ESDA | Preston, Rachel Harris Oaks (1809-1868) Preston, Rachel Harris Oaks (1809-1868)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if branches are the way to put it. But there are different trends.

SEA seems a bit aspirational in this post.

But the SDB did influence the SDA Church in the early period.
It's not so much aspirational as it is unorganized and unformed. There are definitely Evangelical trends in the church and there are definitely Evangelical Adventist ways of looking at the world. I think of Desmond Ford I think of Greg Nelson I think of college View Seventh-day Adventist Church in the mid-90s. I grew up in that trend. I know it exists and I would like to see it continue.

It's characterized by a number of things
1. The need to be born again
2. Discipleship,
3. The use of the scripture only as the source of authority.
4. Historicism as a means of interpretation of prophecy.
5. Biblical theology
6. Covenant theology
7. Unconsciousness in death.
8. An open theological platform: The Adventist Theological Council

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not so much aspirational as it is unorganized and unformed. There are definitely Evangelical trends in the church and there are definitely Evangelical Adventist ways of looking at the world. I think of Desmond Ford I think of Greg Nelson I think of college View seventh-day Adventist Church in the mid-90s. I grew up in that trend. I know it exists and I would like to see it continue.

It's characterized by a number of things
1. The need to be born again
2. Discipleship,
3. The use of the scripture only as the source of authority.
4. Historicism as a means of interpretation of prophecy.
5. Biblical theology
6. Covenant theology
7. Unconsciousness in death.
8. An open theological platform: The Adventist Theologically Council
I do think there are those who consider themselves Evangelical, but I meant the name.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know, but her life is evidence of the genuineness of her love for God and her fellow man.

Here's something from Thoughts on the mount of Blessing for you that is evidence of her love for GTod and her fellow man.

So, are these the words of a legalist and someone used by Satan?
considering those works were written by other people, of course. they sound great. If you borrow other people's work I can sound wonderful too. See the article on her Ghostwriter workshop below.

Attachments

• EGW-Ghostwriters.pdf
    794.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Upvote 0