Praise His Name Forever and Ever Amen
Jul 30, 2008
Oregon
✟7,626.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hannah, not sure if you lost you're beliefs in Christanity, or never had any.

nevertheless may you find you're way home. The cracks in our society today are large and ruthless, don't let yourself slip too far.

For the last time in this post, God Bless.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Christian belief is that humanity is hopelessly broken, and as a result so is this world. That will not change in this age. Only in Christ do we have any hope. Because Christians have Christ, we are to do good works and fight against evil. This means we don't sit on our hands and not feed the poor. We feed them, but we also recognize that famine cannot and will not be eliminated. Or take another example: There are still 27 million slaves in the world, IIRC. We can fight a problem, but only God can truly and utterly defeat it. Is it good that slavery has been reduced and universally condemned in the West? Were Christians right to fight against it and to continue to do so? Yes, but the problem still exists and only God can fully stamp it out. I wouldn't call that laziness. I call it working with reality, and nobly so.

Are you now? The epitome of secular humanism is reaching utopia. Maybe you're just not deep into it. I don't mean any disrespect by saying that.
So you basically think that it's fine for Christians to try to make this world a better place, but when secular humanists try to do that, there must be something wrong with them, unless they have the ultimate goal of utopia in mind?

Also, where is your proof that the idea of utopia has anything to do with secular humanism?

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hannah, not sure if you lost you're beliefs in Christanity, or never had any.

nevertheless may you find you're way home. The cracks in our society today are large and ruthless, don't let yourself slip too far.

For the last time in this post, God Bless.
Thanks, but I'm happy with my current beliefs. So for that reason, I hope that I don't find my way back to Christianity, since I was desperately unhappy as a Christian (and no, that is not an invitation for you to try to drag me back to Christianity).

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So you basically think that it's fine for Christians to try to make this world a better place, but when secular humanists try to do that, there must be something wrong with them, unless they have the ultimate goal of utopia in mind?
No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that the Christian position is not lazy, and not utopian. When secular humanists do it, it's probably utopian. And the utopian ideal is fatally flawed. That is what I'm saying.

If an atheistic or agnostic unbeliever wants to do good, that's fine. If they're pursuing utopia, then they should get their heads out of the clouds and down to reality. If they are fervent utopians, I call that dangerous because I have already discussed what that has proven to lead to.

Also, where is your proof that the idea of utopia has anything to do with secular humanism?
If you're a secular humanist, how can you be humanist without such a belief?

Upvote 0

charlie_hunter

Mar 13, 2006
✟1,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Thanks, but I'm happy with my current beliefs. So for that reason, I hope that I don't find my way back to Christianity, since I was desperately unhappy as a Christian (and no, that is not an invitation for you to try to drag me back to Christianity).

hello. :wave:

i understand that this is a personal question and there's nothing wrong at all with not answering it.

But do you know why you were desperately unhappy as a Christian? that just strikes me as an odd thing to feel, its usually the other way round!

cheers if you dont wish to answer and i'm not here to wave the flag for any particular denomination......

Upvote 0

2LivIsChrist

May 14, 2004
✟9,287.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IDDQD

Nov 2, 2005
✟3,613.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
People have been thinking this for over 2000 years now. I don't think it will happen anytime soon. Nothing has changed in the manner of "signs". The only difference between now and 1000 years ago is better media coverage allowing the world to see everything that is going on.

As for doing things wrong... we all do. We all have been for thousands of years. That is kind of the reason Jesus came, is it not? To free us of these sins? To be a guide to humanity?

We are bad by nature. We make mistakes, we destroy and condemn. It's our faith and the knowledge that we are freed with forgiveness that keeps us from burning. Strive to be better than you are every day.

This post just won the thread.

Upvote 0