Are Christians easier to take advantage of?

har_habayit

Sep 20, 2023
Arizona
✟6,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I notice that Christians are sometimes held to an unreasonable standard by non-Christian people. I've dealt with this personally and I know pastors and Christian leaders deal with it a lot.

My pastor once told me about homeless guy who came to the church office with a big smile on his face. Then he proceeded to ask the pastor for money. When the pastor said no, he said, "you're a hypocrite." I know in my personal life, people feel like they can treat me different than they would treat a non-Christian, and they expect me to just put up with abuse because I am a follower of Jesus. But of course, when they need something from me, I have to come running.

Since I am supposed to be the image of Jesus, I am held to a different standard. Of course, part of this is right. I SHOULD be held to a different standard. But, sometimes this ventures into abuse. How do you know when to set a reasonable boundary? Have you guys ever been taken advantage of by people who think you should be Jesus with skin on, and yet you are abused and neglected because you're a Christian?

Reactions: YorkieGal

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but that's because Christians misinterpret 'turn the other cheek,' 'love thine neighbor,' etc etc because they hear the phrases and let others interpret for them.

As a result, men are raised to believe that everyone should be able to do and say what they want and you dishonor Christ if you take up for yourself, family or the word of God.

We, as Christians, allow it because we let the media and atheists tell us about what the Bible says and means instead of standing true to the Word as it was written.

So, yes, if we're ignorant and passive, we will be taken advantage of due to our self-inflected guilt complex.

Well, I don't but many do..I would like to see this change.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,333.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since I am supposed to be the image of Jesus, I am held to a different standard. Of course, part of this is right. I SHOULD be held to a different standard. But, sometimes this ventures into abuse.
There is no different standard, all people are held to the same one. Christians are just more aware of what the standard is.

However, it does not mean you need to allow others to abuse you. Be clever/wise and do not support evil just because an evil person used some good rhetoric.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My pastor once told me about homeless guy who came to the church office with a big smile on his face. Then he proceeded to ask the pastor for money. When the pastor said no, he said, "you're a hypocrite." I know in my personal life, people feel like they can treat me different than they would treat a non-Christian, and they expect me to just put up with abuse because I am a follower of Jesus.

I'd remind such people that Jesus in not a pushover, so part of being like Him most definitely includes not being a doormat. This is just a silly meme, but it gets the point across:

wwjd.jpg

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are told to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

Matthew 10:16
“Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:
be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.”

So as to the wolves who would devour us, be wise in your dealings with them. Realize they want to devour you and hurt you.
Take care you do not become a wolf yourself, rather be naive to the end you are harmless. But not so harmless that you become a victim.

Upvote 0