Update on Fr. John Corapi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
You are missing a lot of things in your assessment. Those things you are so fast to accuse him of he did not do in a vacuum by himself, he had advice from a Bishop, the head of SOLT and canon and regular lawyers

I'm basing it on Corapi's blog. Where is the rosary mentioned in there?

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I like this comment on his blog:
Father, whom I truly do love,
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO HUMBLE OBEDIENCE?!?!?!?!?!
Deep down you know as well as I do that secluded prayer could be INFINITELY more powerful and effective than rebellious activism. You are violating everything you stand for, and it is spiritually reckless. Please, please, please – humbly OBEY, and God will see to the rest. We will always love you.

This person obviously cares a lot about Corapi, but is willing to show him where he's going wrong.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Again...where is the blessed Mary in his new journey?

Just pointing out that the oxygen thieves reference is not a new development as you alluded, nor is he pursuing a civil suit of his own accord, but under the advisement of his lawyers, and more importantly, the Founder of his order and Bishop Gracida who incardinated SOLT and ran the diocese of Corpus Christi.

This person obviously cares a lot about Corapi, but is willing to show him where he's going wrong.

A few holy men have directed him otherwise... It's a difficult situation. As for his not mentioning the Blessed Virgin or Our Lord, perhaps it has something to do with his suspension of public ministry, or maybe it is a fresh wound that needs time to heal, I honestly don't know. Watching that YouTube video made me realize the profundity of his gift, and the sadness of this situation. Guilty or not, his ministry will forever be effected. Jesus weeps.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Just pointing out that the oxygen thieves reference is not a new development as you alluded, nor is he pursuing a civil suit of his own accord, but under the advisement of his lawyers, and more importantly, the Founder of his order and Bishop Gracida who incardinated SOLT and ran the diocese of Corpus Christi.

A few holy men have directed him otherwise... It's a difficult situation. As for his not mentioning the Blessed Virgin or Our Lord, perhaps it has something to do with his suspension of public ministry, or maybe it is a fresh wound that needs time to heal, I honestly don't know. Watching that YouTube video made me realize the profundity of his gift, and the sadness of this situation. Guilty or not, his ministry will forever be effected. Jesus weeps.

The Bishop in this case though, to be upfront, has an ongoing and public problem with how the canonical process works now...he believes the Church takes too serious a stand against the priest at an accusation of sexual misconduct and advocates what seems to be a pre zero tolerance procedure that was at the heart of the sex abuse crisis. So his advice, however holy he is, is part of that gambit by attacking the canonical process. He is not maintaining that Corapi is innocent, his issue is with how the Church handles it...innocent or guilty, as he highlighted in his April 2011 statement on the issue. And the founder of SOLT, no matter how good a man, is the one who gave Corapi his special statuses that led to what has allegedly happened. And they are personal friends.

That could all play a roll too. In that it seems the most genuine of all this is the current Bishop (who Corapi attacked) and the current SOLT leadership.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Kinda difficult to do with a holy Bishop and the Founder of SOLT advising you to take a route that puts you at odds with current leadership... All I'm saying is we don't know the whole story. They had a picture of a lady leaving Padre Pio's house and made all kinds of claims and look how that ended. We can say all we want about how he is handling the situation, but from what I know of Bishop Gracida, it would be a difficult thing to ignore his advice.

Even a Bishop can get caught up and be blindsided.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
They were stopped because Corapi sensed SOLT was not properly adhering to canon law in his case. And based on what happened many articles of canon law was not followed by SOLT.

Considering she is the one making the allegations then she is the one who has to prove herself and provide weight and substantial evidence to her claim. She originally is the accuser, not the defendant, and the accuser has to provide a substantial base and credibility to their allegations. Corapi did not stop the investigation but rather SOLT viewed his civil suit as putting "pressure" on the woman which is what stopped it. Secondly SOLT did not properly investigate the accusations and instead suspended Corapi without making any attempt to first investigate the charges.

Other co-workers who worked with Corapi saw this woman do this. There are eyewitnesses to her threats and her attacks.

Yes, and who is the defendant here? Corapi. Not the woman. His civil suit regarding defamation and breach of contract is a secondary case that was brought forth due to the damage of character that has been caused. The civil suit was viewed as putting undue pressure on the woman, which is what caused the case to be stopped.

.Corapi is the defendant in the case, not the woman. Innocent till proven guilty regards the defendant. Any secondary court cases regarding slander and libel is a secondary issue that stems from Corapi originally being the defendant to the case.
You're behind the times my friend.

And this myopic defense of one and demonizing of the other is not very charitable.

Upvote 0

LOCO

Church Militant
Jun 29, 2011
✟16,689.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I will be attacked for this, but Corapi is arrogant and thinks he is above the law. He wants his parishioners to be obedient to the magisterium, but when it comes to him no.

I say, don't let the door hit you in the backside. I knew it from jump street and I let my intuition be known on this forum. Corapi was a sketchy guy and I think he was in the ministry for all the wrong reason.

:thumbsup::amen:

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
SOLTs statements are utterly guilty of detraction. Why would SOLT make such a statement public if they supposedly respect the privacy of their members? Hence SOLT just becomes as guilty as trying to use a public forum to try to degrade and rid someone. How long as Corapi been with SOLT? and then all of a sudden he is unfit for priestly ministry? Candidateship to SOLT doesn't even list anything regarding taking a vow of poverty, and yet they claim that Corapi didn't follow the vows of poverty in their society? Something just doesn't add up right

Secondly, why are these supposed facts from them always from anonymous peoples who they don't even list or name. The amount of vagueness regarding 'some woman in Montana' and hearsay from people not even named seems really unconvincing to me. Sexting? Do they actually even have the text messages from his phone to prove this even?

That is a false accusation against the SOLT.

It is only detraction if there is no objective reason to reveal the sins of another.

Fr Corapi's own public behavior and accusations against the Church gave raise to the objective reason to make this revelation by the SOLT - and they give that reason in their statement . . . and since they have objective reason to do so, it is not detraction by definition.

The facts come from the FACT FINDING COMMISSION they put together - 3 very profession people from different walks of life necessary for such a fact finding mission. If you read it carefully, all your questions are addressed in their statement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
From Corapi's Blog:
I resigned because the process used by the Church is grossly unjust, and, hence, immoral. I resigned because I had no chance from the beginning of a fair and just hearing.

A lot of things in life are unjust--are we supposed to just walk when the going gets tough? With that philosophy, why not just get a divorce when your marriage is on the rocks?
After reading this blog entry, I keep getting the feeling it's all about him and not the church or it's people.

I don't believe his claims for an instant. He had something to hide, and as most do when they try to continue hiding, they point the finger at someone else and play the victim.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
the worst of all of this is Corapi leaving the priesthood. His sermons brought many to Christ. His section on the radio was always on when I went to work in my car and now because of this I cannot hear him preach anymore when I go to work in my car in the morning. The only other show I liked was "Life is worth Living", but while I love Fulton Sheen he speaks from an era that is different than today, whereas Corapi spoke about what was happening this moment.

I will never listen to anything he says again as far as teaching goes.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
It certainly has that appearance

So the one who has something to hide, to keep in the dark, cries foul and points the finger and says he is the abused one, and we are simply to believe it?

One should never blindly believe someone who is a liar.

I see nothing proving he was abused.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
At the completion of this year and upon the discernment with those involved, the men receive the habit and make temporary promises of Poverty, Chastity and Obedience for one year. At the end of this year, the men will also discern with Our Lady’s Society if they are called to be priest in the Society or if they are to remain permanent brothers in the Society.

Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity - Formation

That would mean that if they become permanent priests of the society, they maintain their vow of poverty . . . he was a priest . not a brother.

The SOLTS has told us he violated his vow of poverty . . so indeed he was under a vow of poverty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
Our greatest blessings are quite often our greatest curses. I definitely think he has an ego, but that does not make him guilty. SOLT stood to make a lot of money from Fr. Corapi through the changes they made to their structure, and that fact could very well be clouding judgment on both sides. I feel like I am beating a dead horse and no one is noticing, but Bishop Gracida and Father James Flanagan both advised him in his present course of legal action, and that cannot be easily discounted.

For the internet-canon lawyers out there, if SOLT has as much evidence as they claim and now feel justified in releasing details publicly, why could the case not move forward? They originally stated that the investigation had ceased and they "...had not arrived at any conclusion as to the credibility of the allegations under investigation."

Obviously it has moved forward sufficiently for them to have knowledge he is guilty of what he has been accused of. He has refused to speak to them.. . . .He has been found unfit for ministry . .. . he has been ordered to return to the community in obedience . . the judgment has been rendered.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
that's the one part of the site I could find anything even written on taking vows of poverty regarding SOLT. Its pretty clear Corapi did not take vows of poverty with them, otherwise he would never have been with them in the first place since they already knew of his ministry and public speaking.

The SOLT SAY DIFFERENTLY.

The SOLT say he violated his vows of poverty.

So now you accuse the SOLT of being liars?

That fact that SOLT was with Corapi for years and didn't say anything about his vows of poverty during that time before this happened. Then all of a sudden after his character assassination they make allegations regarding his vows of poverty. If they were so concerned why did they take him on in the first place?

I think once your name is smeared in the mud you have a tendency to be thrown under the bus.

Those are not the facts. Just because you are ignorant of the facts does not make the facts non existant.

The SOLT has said they had been dealing with it. Did you carefully read what they said?

Seems not.

Reactions: CruciFixed
Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
In some ways it can. He was not a parish priest. Father Corapi has certain gifts that the founder of SOLT recognized and provided a loose structure to allow him to take best advantage of those gifts... Given that he is innocent of the charges leveled against him, if he abused that laxity (which would mostly be a matter of opinion) then that still does not change the validity of the structure he was under. I don't personally care that he had a motorcycle, large house, etc. If he donated to charity and wasn't under a vow of poverty, why begrudge him that...?

What?
" Given that he is innocent of the charges leveled against him,"​

In what universe?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.