Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
wow, that was an extremely hostile letter. Sounds like a very angry unstable person. Almost like an angry immature teenage girl or something. If that letter is really from the accuser her credibility has dropped even lower for me.

I can assure you it is really from her. I have known who she was from near the beginning and we are networked on two separate media sites. I literally quoted that from one of her own posts on her own profile. I wouldn't make to much out of it though. All it really means is she doesn't understand why its wrong to give away a blessed sacramental as an incentive to sell something and then gets hostile about correction. It may indicate why she wrote the letter once fired from Santa Cruiz but even so, it doesn't mean what she wrote was not in some form true either. She was close enough to have been privy to information she claims. I tend to think there was some form of twisting of truth. It really doesn't matter how much was true or not. Its still grounds for suspension and the reactions by Fr. have been more secular than holy imo.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In some ways it can. He was not a parish priest. Father Corapi has certain gifts that the founder of SOLT recognized and provided a loose structure to allow him to take best advantage of those gifts... Given that he is innocent of the charges leveled against him, if he abused that laxity (which would mostly be a matter of opinion) then that still does not change the validity of the structure he was under. I don't personally care that he had a motorcycle, large house, etc. If he donated to charity and wasn't under a vow of poverty, why begrudge him that...?

And I think part of that is if the founder of SOLT allowed him leeway and he abused it and it spiraled into prostitution and drug use...then it is possible many people are covering up here for mistakes. It is also possible that people do not want to believe this of their friend.

We do not know.

Eventually it will all come out. What is highlighted for me is that TV priests can develop a cult of personality around them that is unsettling at best. It becomes about them and not the message that is bigger than them.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One Bishop, but of course, one person can be right...we know that. I found his April 1 statement to be...skewed a bit to me.

Has Bishop Mulvey said anything publically that you know of?

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
But there is no advantage to them lying about evidence they have.

I don't necessarily even believe they are lying, I believe they are gambling. I think they are running with evidence that they originally said was inconclusive because they are feeling the heat and don't want it to be said they sat on something that some people feel should have been made public. Everyone is afraid of complicity in a scandal... I see it in my job and it is disgusting because good people get railroaded.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't necessarily even believe they are lying, I believe they are gambling. I think they are running with evidence that they originally said was inconclusive because they are feeling the heat and don't want it to be said they sat on something that some people feel should have been made public. Everyone is afraid of complicity in a scandal... I see it in my job and it is disgusting because good people get railroaded.

Very well Could be

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
And I think part of that is if the founder of SOLT allowed him leeway and he abused it and it spiraled into prostitution and drug use...then it is possible many people are covering up here for mistakes. It is also possible that people do not want to believe this of their friend.

We do not know.

Eventually it will all come out. What is highlighted for me is that TV priests can develop a cult of personality around them that is unsettling at best. It becomes about them and not the message that is bigger than them.

What a burden being a popular preacher, Bishop, Priest, Abbot, etc. must be. I do not wish that on my worst enemy...

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True and I think they are trying to distance themselves from the fact that they fostered his cult of personality and allowed his monetary abuses for their own reasons based on his fame.

But there is no advantage to them lying about evidence they have. If they set the field at...when he lies we counter with what we have. Which is what they have done. Then they need to be ready to take that up step by step if he, as they say he is, continues to mislead the faithful.

Otherwise releasing the statement was really foolish. So given that I will believe them until it seems otherwise.
At this point I don't believe anyone. I think the whole thing is an arrangement gone bad. Corapi being the fall guy. (With good reason). But I don't believe anyone to be completely clean in this. Just trying to save face. I think I'm right so far. I've stayed quiet till all the pieces started falling into place in this catholic soap opera.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In some ways it can. He was not a parish priest. Father Corapi has certain gifts that the founder of SOLT recognized and provided a loose structure to allow him to take best advantage of those gifts... Given that he is innocent of the charges leveled against him, if he abused that laxity (which would mostly be a matter of opinion) then that still does not change the validity of the structure he was under. I don't personally care that he had a motorcycle, large house, etc. If he donated to charity and wasn't under a vow of poverty, why begrudge him that...?
I feel like I'm in the protestant Church yet again hearing that. :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

That is so post #545, Michie.

valleygirl0.jpg

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

We do not know.

One more thing to add, the lady making the claims is the prostitute who says they did drugs together. I would imagine that all of this would have been privileged information had Father Corapi not moved forward with a civil suit which made all of this public domain long before SOLT made their statement...

http://www.snapnetwork.org/PDF_files/RedactedCharge.pdf

If you were ashamed of the details getting out, why would you take it public and not keep it within canonical bounds? Just thinking out loud...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the priests who minister to them make easy targets...
Thats absolutely true. But as I said earlier... I'm think all things point to nobody's hands being clean in this mess.

I'm trying to work in *gag me with a spoon* here somewhere & having no luck. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.