Universalism Was Condemned and Defeated In 553 A.D. At The The Fifth Ecumenical Council

Status
Not open for further replies.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Anathemas of the Emperor Justinian Against Origen

"If Anyone says or thinks that the punishment of demons and of impious men is only temporary, and will one day have an end, and that a restoration will take place of demons and of impious men, Let Him Be Anathema.

Anathema to Origen and to that Adamantius, who set forth these opinions together with his Nefarious and Execrable and Wicked Doctrine and and to whomsoever there is who thinks thus, Or Defends These Opinions, or in any way hereafter at any time shall presume to protect them.

• Second Council of Constantinople (553 A.D.)

CHURCH FATHERS: Second Council of Constantinople (A.D. 553)

Second Council of Constantinople - Wikipedia

It's done, finished, Over etc. The issue has already been resolved. There's nothing left to debate.

giphy.gif

Jesus defeated Universalism while instructing his disciples in Matthew 25:33-46.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Why is Origen considered a significant church father despite his extremely heretical opinion on this matter?

Origen's name got dragged through the mud because of the more extreme views of later people.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Origen's not a Church Father.

Oh he's indeed considered a church father by the church of the east (The Eastern Orthodox church and the Oriental churches).

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
He [Theodore] maintained, e.g., that God the Word was one & Christ another.
You can criticize Theodore's treatment of the unity of Christ. But this is a lie. It's hard to take seriously condemnations that are clearly hatchet jobs. It may well be that after fair consideration people would decide that Theodore's treatment was insufficient. Many modern scholars agree with that assessment, although many take the other approach. But if this was being done in a Christian way, that judgement would be combined with an understanding of what Theodore was trying to accomplish.

Theodore was certainly not out to cause trouble for the Church, as the document alleges. Indeed it's the spirit of intolerance that is visible in so many of the councils that caused splits, and that made attempts to reconcile groups fail.

When a council so manifestly lacks a Christian spirit, I don't think it's worth considering whether its canons have merit.

Chalcedon started a series of fights within the Church that had serious impact. Part of the problem was that there had been insufficient exploration of alternatives. Over the next century or two folks such as the Cappadocians thought further about these matters and came up with new ideas. But damage had already been done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Anathema to Origen and to that Adamantius, who set forth these opinions together with his Nefarious and Execrable and Wicked Doctrine and and to whomsoever there is who thinks thus, Or Defends These Opinions, or in any way hereafter at any time shall presume to protect them.

The most surprising thing about this topic since I've talked about it online are how many Internet Eastern Orthodox are for some kind of Origenism. I would say, next to liberal Protestants of various backgrounds that has been the biggest group I've run across since talking about this since 2004 (and this was even true on web sites like Orthodox Christianity.net years ago). One guy in particular was amazing. He was a very ardent Greek Orthodox, really believed in "synergy of Church and State" (especially when talking about history and Oriental vs. Eastern Orthodox conflicts), really seemed like whatever the EO equivalent of patriotic flag waver. (I think he was some kind of Platonists). He kept repeating some kind of apocastasis like slogan "In the end all will be redeemed" or something like that. I would point out all the various statements, canons, councils etc. and he kind of found specific loop holes or other problems with them. He seemed to found some kind of specific formula that allowed him to be Origenist yet not have the anathemas apply to his position (Well lots of did have to do with other stuff that he wasn't advocating like the Pre-existence of souls etc.)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It is worth pointing out that the anathemas against Origen are perhaps the most debated and disputed of anything in all the original seven ecumenical councils. And that they are, indeed, properly a condemnation of Origen is suspect--with a view by many that they reflect Justinian's own views and not necessarily the Church's own condemnation.

Further, the anathemas are directed against the more extreme and dogmatic views of later Origenists, not so much Origen himself (who does not speak dogmatically, but rather speculatively, on certain subjects).

So what can be said, at least, is that certain dogmatic positions of some later Origenists, especially those which are rooted in Platonism, have been condemned.

That is to say, that all will be saved, on the basis of reason that all things will return to their original primordial state, is condemned. However, to say that it is possible that all might be saved in the end is not condemned. Origen's Platonic speculation concerning the pre-existence of souls is rejected (Origen himself never taught this as actual doctrine, but merely opined it as possible), and thus the Platonic rationale that, in the end, souls will return to their original state is likewise rejected. And those who teach such things as dogma are therefore rejected.

However, that it is indeed possible, not on account of the Platonic theory but on account of divine grace, that in the end maybe all will be saved is not rejected; it is merely unknown. As such the holy fathers who dared to hope in the restoration of all things are not condemned, and it is within the hope and prayer of the Church that ultimately hell is empty. Not on the basis of Platonic theory, but on the basis of the hope of the Gospel on account of the saving work of Jesus Christ.

We might say then that Hard or Dogmatic Universalism is outright condemned; but that Soft or Agnostic Universalism is not. We cannot say "All will be saved" but we can say, "We hope that all will be saved."

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh he's indeed considered a church father by the church of the east (The Eastern Orthodox church and the Oriental churches).
No, he isn't. Father Matthew said one cannot be a Church Father and a heretic at the same time.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
No, he isn't. Father Matthew said one cannot be a Church Father and a heretic at the same time.

Well isnt that neat. I've been told that he is by at least two EO priests...

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The most surprising thing about this topic since I've talked about it online are how many Internet Eastern Orthodox are for some kind of Origenism. I would say, next to liberal Protestants of various backgrounds that has been the biggest group I've run across since talking about this since 2004 (and this was even true on web sites like Orthodox Christianity.net years ago). One guy in particular was amazing. He was a very ardent Greek Orthodox, really believed in "synergy of Church and State" (especially when talking about history and Oriental vs. Eastern Orthodox conflicts), really seemed like whatever the EO equivalent of patriotic flag waver. (I think he was some kind of Platonists). He kept repeating some kind of apocastasis like slogan "In the end all will be redeemed" or something like that. I would point out all the various statements, canons, councils etc. and he kind of found specific loop holes or other problems with them. He seemed to found some kind of specific formula that allowed him to be Origenist yet not have the anathemas apply to his position (Well lots of did have to do with other stuff that he wasn't advocating like the Pre-existence of souls etc.)
Sadly, modernist Christians prefer to trust scholars in what the Councils were about rather than their own Saints.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"You can criticize Theodore's treatment of the unity of Christ. But this is a lie. It's hard to take seriously condemnations that are clearly hatchet jobs."

So let me get this straight. When Theodore states the The Word of God is one person and that the Christ is another person, making two different persons, is that what you confess also? This is clearly contradictory to Scripture over & over again. 'Jesus Christ is the same yesterday & today & forever. He is one Person with two different natures, the Divine & the human. It is all the heretical beliefs that teach contrary to this historical Christian doctrine.

It is up to you to bring direct quotations that show otherwise. I will be waiting. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The School of Alexandria - Origen - Ch 4 - Origen and Origenism

Vigilantius, on his return to the West after his visit to Jerusalem, had openly accused St. Jerome of a leaning to the heresy of Origin. St. Jerome wrote to him in the most severe tone repudiating the charge of Origenism & fastening upon his opponent those of ignorance & blasphemy. He justified his use of the writings of Origen, as he writes,

But, since Christ has shown us in Himself a pattern of perfect humility, bestowing a kiss upon His betrayer and receiving the robber’s repentance upon the cross, I tell you now when absent as I have told you already when present, that I read and have read Origen only as I read Apollinaris, or other writers whose books in some things the Church does not receive. I by no means say that everything contained in such books is to be condemned, but I admit that there are things in them deserving censure. Still, as it is my task to study by reading many authors to cull different flowers from as large a number as possible, not so much making it an object to prove all things as to choose what is good, I take up many writers that from the many I may learn many things; according to that which is written "reading all things, holding fast those that are good" 1 Thess. 5:21.

St. Jerome adds,

Origen is a heretic, true; but what does that take from me who do not deny that on very many points he is heretical? He has erred concerning the resurrection of the body, he has erred concerning the condition of souls, he has erred by supposing it possible that the devil may repent, and- an error more important then these- he has declared in his commentary upon Isaiah that the Seraphim mentioned by the prophet are the divine Son and the Holy Ghost. If I did not allow that he has erred or if I did not daily anathematize his errors, I should be partaker of his fault.

For while we receive what is good in his writings we must on no account bind ourselves to accept also what is evil.

Still in many passages he has interpreted the Scriptures well, has explained obscure places in the prophets, and has brought to light very great mysteries, both in the Old and in the New testament.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
See post #52

For one thing, a council of a few people does not equal an entire church. It equals a number of people who have put themselves in positions of authority within the church, but that isn't quite the problem, either.

The real problem is in the statement that the entire church cannot be wrong. It's an ad populum fallacy. The entire church is made of humans which, either individually or as a whole, have never in the history of mankind given evidence of infallibility. Not only that, but the only way to know that the church, as a whole, is infallible is by the authority of something else that is also infallible. This chain of endorsement ultimately must come from God, who never gave such an endorsement, even once. He gave us power, promised us comfort and guidance, gave us a savior and saving knowledge of himself, but he never declared us infallible.

Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You mean to say that infallible people designated some councils as "ecumenical" (out of numerous councils and synods)?

That should not be a surprise. Wouldn't that be true of the first Church counsel, aka the Counsel of Jerusalem in Acts 15? The results of that counsel were presumed to be from the Holy Spirit, and all of the people participating in it likewise were fallible. It's kind of like the saying that "the whole is greater than just the sum of the parts."

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@Jude1:3Contendforthefaith I feel it is a good effort but vainless, if people here does not recognise the Councils, then they won't change their minds about the heresies condemned there.

Also as we see many time on CF they repeat those heresies. As you can see from this thread heresy is alive and well on CF because people throw out the councils and Church

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.